Weakness Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugendugen

Noam Chompsky.
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Weakness Policy: An item to be held by a Pokemon. Attack and Sp. Atk sharply increase [+2] if the holder is hit with a move it's weak to.

Do you think that the item Weakness Policy could be viable in Ubers, be it Official or Pokebank? Perhaps on Aegislash or a Multiscale Dragonite set, now that Defog has been buffed. Is it too niche or can it find a role in the metagame?

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
c/ped from my other post. I'm lazy.

Yveltal @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs:
Hasty / Mild / Lonely (EV accordingly)
- Sucker Punch
- Oblivion Wing
- Dark Pulse
- Acrobatics / Focus Blast

Not sure if there are any Pokemon that can use weakness Policy better than this guy. A Weakness Policy holder should have relatively common weaknesses to entice an SE hit, enough bulk to tank said hit, enough Speed to sweep with it (and/or has priority), and good offense(s) to actually use the boost. Which means, you're going to need at least 5 good stats to make this work.

Yveltal can survive most SE hits very easily without investment due to its 126 HP and 95/98 Defenses. Take one, get the boost, and reply with +2 Oblivion Wing which will almost certainly leave a chunk on whoever you're hitting, while you restore a ton of HP back from the drain effect. After that, Weakness Policy is used up, allowing it to freely launch Acrobatics, taking out any specially defensive enemies. Sucker Punch can wipe out Scarfers who try to ruin your fun, while Dark Pulse allows for stable damage. Focus Blast is really only there if TTar is such a big issue. Feel free to spam Oblivion Wing as you see fit.

Yvetal was the first Weakness Policy user I thought of too, but it's a shame how much Tyranitar craps on it. You'd think that it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for the Destruction Pokemon to learn Earthquake. It really is in the sweet spot for being able to use Weakness Policy since anything substantially bulkier than it (Lugia, Giratina) doesn't have the offenses to be a huge threat even at +2/+3 whereas everything else that takes a super effective hit from an Uber is either gonna be dead or within priority range on the revenge kill. Ho-oh would probably appreciate Weakness Policy if it didn't already have such an awesome ability that lets it attack with boosted Brave Birds right off the bat and shrug off the recoil.

How about Kyogre as a user? It attracts electric attacks pretty easily, and it's bulky enough to take a hit. It might be a bit unreliable considering it may get paralyzed by Thunder, but still. There aren't many pokemon who enjoy taking hits from a +2 Kyogre.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
How about Kyogre as a user? It attracts electric attacks pretty easily, and it's bulky enough to take a hit. It might be a bit unreliable considering it may get paralyzed by Thunder, but still. There aren't many pokemon who enjoy taking hits from a +2 Kyogre.
well +2 is only 33% stronger than specs, and considering kyogre isnt exactly fast, but has a good offensive presence most teams should be able to force it out. So after you make a kill where specs probably helped as much as the weakness policy did (two specs attacks is nearly as a strng as a +2 and +0 attack) you'll be forced out and the item will be gone for good. I have this scenario in my mind of palkia coming in on hydro pump or whatever, thinking youre choiced, clicking thunder, and then dying to +2 thunder, because palkia does love to come in on kyogre, but, half the time it will probably just spacial rend or something and put you into thunde's kill range anyways. If its choiced you might have gained some ground actually, because it gets forced out, but that's only if it over predicts. Regardless that scenario is a bit convoluted to consider the item. I suppose, also tanking a grass judgement and retaliating with an unexpected +2 ice beam would kill 252/0 grassceus if it came in on any attack or there were some solid hazards on the field. Specially defensive ferrothorn dies to +2 (rain boosted ofc) hydro pump if you hit it with full strength water spout on the switch, unfortunately most ferrothorn will just spam seeds protect hazards thunder wave before power whip. Plus specs water spout beats ferro anyways. Latios' thunder can be taken and +2 ice beam would kill it, a specially latias is barely 2hko'd, but again specs ice beam is better off at attacking latios

It's kind of an interesting set that lets you kill some common switch ins, but it's not that reliable because they could simply use the attack you didnt want them too. Not only that but you need the HP to take the hit from the switch in, so you would have to be more careful bringing in your kyogre. Idk maybe test it.

Last edited:

Garchompi

Banned deucer.
Using Weakness Policy on anything weak to dark is a terrible idea because Knock Off will not trigger it. Considering how Knock Off is already shaping up to be the new Scald, this is something to keep in mind.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
c/ped from my other post. I'm lazy.

Yveltal @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs:
Hasty / Mild / Lonely (EV accordingly)
- Sucker Punch
- Oblivion Wing
- Dark Pulse
- Acrobatics / Focus Blast

Not sure if there are any Pokemon that can use weakness Policy better than this guy. A Weakness Policy holder should have relatively common weaknesses to entice an SE hit, enough bulk to tank said hit, enough Speed to sweep with it (and/or has priority), and good offense(s) to actually use the boost. Which means, you're going to need at least 5 good stats to make this work.

Yveltal can survive most SE hits very easily without investment due to its 126 HP and 95/98 Defenses. Take one, get the boost, and reply with +2 Oblivion Wing which will almost certainly leave a chunk on whoever you're hitting, while you restore a ton of HP back from the drain effect. After that, Weakness Policy is used up, allowing it to freely launch Acrobatics, taking out any specially defensive enemies. Sucker Punch can wipe out Scarfers who try to ruin your fun, while Dark Pulse allows for stable damage. Focus Blast is really only there if TTar is such a big issue. Feel free to spam Oblivion Wing as you see fit.
I brought up this Weakness Policy Set on the Yveltal page weeks ago, though I ran Steel wing and Focus Blast, but Acrobatics would hurt ALOT after the weakness policy.

To the people thinking he may not be able top survive a SE attack... run it with duel screen support. That way you are guaranteed to survive ANY SE attack. Maybe with Defensive Deoxys with Duel Screens and Light CLay. Then switch to Yveltal when you know they are going to hit with a Dark attack.

EDIT: I still think my set of

Hasty @ Weakness Policy
Oblivion Wing
Sucker Punch
Focus Blast/Dark Pulse
Steel Wing

252 Speed, Mix rest in Attack and SpA

Is best. Steel Wing after Weakness Policy should hurt T-tar ALOT, and if your Reflect is still up, you aren't going down. Focus Blast will OHKO, but the miss chance is risky, so Dark Pulse for Flinch chance may be better. You should RIP through most pokemon in Ubers with this. Like I said, Duel Screen support is almost needed, and Defense Deoxys is probably the best Duel Screener you need(unless you guys know of a better one in Ubers)

Last edited:
tyrannitar can use weakness policy fairly well with this set

t-tar@weakness policy
252atk+252 spd/4hp
rock polish
e-quake
stone edge
crunch
start with a rock polish on a predicted super effective hit that it can take, proceed to wreck.
note: I do know that it IS vulnerable to priority but still, if a team is unprepared, they will get swept

Is the Weakness Policy a one-use only item, or can it be continuously used? And does it activate if hit behind a Substitute?

I have been using a Lugia with weakness policy, max defense/hp , Calm Mind/Roost/icebeam/psyshock. Calm Mind either forces them to use roar/whirlwind on you or inflict status, toxic naturally destroys this set, but after you have had a few calm minds and they hit you with a super effective attack and you get that +2 boost can seriously surprise people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)