Social What were you doing 10 years ago?

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
10 years ago I was in my freshman year of high school, in the latter half that is. In the good ol' year of 2013 I graduated middle school and started high school. I was also in the midst of the hype period for Pokemon X and Y, the beginning of the 3D era of Pokemon, and all the new things that came out of it like the new mons, Fairy-type, and Mega Evolution. It was such a hype time to be into Pokémon back then.

Those were definitely some good times :).

my clearest memory from a decade ago was around 2013 when Pokémon XY released, I somehow roped my late grandfather into playing and beating the whole thing! was so proud of him, he picked up on core mechanics like weaknesses n held/usable items stuff surprisingly well but i still had to teach him about stuffs like evolutionary stones/specific evolutionary conditions (sligoo --> goodra)
I remember he ended up beating it with a team of Chesnaught, Aegislash, Charizard, Toxicroak, Goodra n Umbreon but i forget what he nicknamed them
miss him more and more every day

not being mopey but this time 2013 was in between 2 big funeral from the fam and "best friend aka second family" sense.
didnt feel it so much then cus me and my friend (who's mom [a second mom to me] was lost) fell into hanging out a lot more even though we always did he handled it incredibly well i'll give him that (and he's happy now) but was good times off the back of bad times.
i remember doing a madden franchise rebuild of i wanna say the rams or raiders with him - joint gm decisions, each of us get to play a game then next one up (use to tease him for always throwing INTs, but somehow still winning - one game he threw 9[!!!!] and won. I was def the better "Clean player" but he had that chaotic/unphased ball down lolol.)
I swear i think our QB ended with like 26 INTs to like 54TDs -- 20 of them INTs was him and he only lost 1 game lmao, we went 14-2) [actually think the QB was Ryan Tannehill - we ofc built him up overtime lol]

In all honesty? I was severely depressed. I went after absolutely insane videogame achievements for three reasons:

1: Because of the sheer difficulty of said achievements, focusing on them meant it was basically impossible to focus on anything else...like, say, how much the awful feelings were burying me.
2: Good old fashioned social approval. Didn't help a ton, but knowing people were impressed by what I did...well, it did help somewhat, at least.
3: The high I got when I actually pulled it off was the only time I was ever able to feel genuine happiness about anything. It generally only lasted a short while, but at least it was a reprieve.

I was basically chasing a high, but without the drugs (because good luck affording drugs on my income, lol). I'd have to go after achievements that were more and more insane, eventually reaching a point where I did this, which is so ridiculous that even ten years later, I'm still the only person who's ever done it. Did it feel amazing? Sure. For a couple hours, if that.

Nowadays the depression is actually being properly managed, and I've become a filthy casual as a result, lol. I'm nowhere near as good as I was then, but...that's okay. Top-tier skills for genuine contentment with my life is a trade I'd make again, a million times over, with no hesitation whatsoever. Heck, bringing it up at all feels kind of weird, like...imagine talking about the lowest point in your life and feeling like you're bragging about it, lmao.

Thanks for reading this ridiculous ramble from a random girl on the internet you've probably never heard of before ^-^;

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ten years ago I was starting high school and I started to play on PS. I look back at this time with some regret as I wish I had gone out to meet new people more. In the end, I wish I had my current approach to life back then. I look back and see how much I've grown with great pride.

I was like 9ish.

Just got out of abusive household, life getting better but then the coping mechanisms with my trauma started around then. Especially things like an eating disorder. So while it was probably the happiest point in my life thus far, it is not something I look back upon well.

I was 23, young and stupid. If you are in your 20s, you don't realize just how stupid you were until older. I wrapped up college, but didn't have a clue with what I wanted to in the world. Much better now, but I felt like I wasted so much time figuring how who I was.

DaRotomMachine

I COULD BE BANNED!
I was 3, very young and was much cuter back then. I was then getting whupped by my dad whenever I was misbehaving and thankfully my feet don't show it.

I also think I talking a little bit back then, I don't remember

I was an undergrad in the middle of my second year of university playing Pokemon Y and discovering Melee, which I started to prefer to Pokemon around that time—that remains the case now. I'm still in school (in the second year of my PhD), but I haven't played a handheld Pokemon game in about two years. I play Pokemon Showdown now and then, though.

Probably playing Pokemon X/Y and being astounded by how good the game looked and felt. Was working for a radio station around this time, volunteering, just doing admin work and some producer stuff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)