Who is your personal hero?

to those who argues otherwise, why else do you think she has one of the most haters of all popstars
It is because shes makes incredibly dull and boring music, not because she is "different" with her use of shock value with costumes or stage shows when the likes of Alice Cooper, KISS, King Diamond, and Gaga's so called hero, David Bowie, have all done that before her. She does have "talent", she just doesn't show case it very often which leaves me not caring for her. I would rather her showcase her piano and legitimate singing voice skills a lot more often, rather than her being a voice occasionally mixed in with auto-tune to lame electronic based music.

Anyway,

King Diamond is my hero. Why? One of my favorite vocalists, made some of my favorite albums ever in Mercyful Fate, and is an Atheist like myself who lives their life happily the way they want to without worrying about the illogical stupidity of radical religious followers (Ex: Westburo Baptist Church) who know next to nothing about their own religion.

Also... CM Punk. Why? My favorite pro wrestler, a genuinely good guy, and is straight edge.

my dad fought cancer for almost 2 years before he finally succumbed last month. he is the strongest person i know. if i were even half as strong as he was, i'd be like 6 or 8 times as strong as i am right now. he was such an efficient person in everything he did, he managed to finish everything he was supposed to do in his life in half the time!

some of you guys have some straaange personal heroes

Your personal hero is a fictional cat from a childrens movie????
wait so jellicent your personal hero is a fictional cat

and you seem to be totally okay with that

?
Yes. Yes it is, and yes I am. Seriously, have you guys even seen the Aristocats? Thomas O'Malley is everything I could want to be. Well, besides the cat part. And I guess the French part, too...

Also, both of you forgot to post your own heroes >.>

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
It is because shes makes incredibly dull and boring music, not because she is "different" with her use of shock value with costumes or stage shows when the likes of Alice Cooper, KISS, King Diamond, and Gaga's so called hero, David Bowie, have all done that before her. She does have "talent", she just doesn't show case it very often which leaves me not caring for her. I would rather her showcase her piano and legitimate singing voice skills a lot more often, rather than her being a voice occasionally mixed in with auto-tune to lame electronic based music..
I respectfully disagree.

Your finding her boring is subjective, and you failed to list down why. I personally find her music very fascinating as she uses extensive use of metaphors/extended metaphors. To understand her music, you actually have to deconstruct it and it also leaves room for interpretation.

Her shock value has nothing to do with being eccentric for the sake of it. She's just expressing her creativity not only in her music, but through what she wears and in her life in general.

Imo, Lady Gaga is possibly one of the most talented artist in recent times. Her ability to songwrite, her ability to play multiple instruments, her stage presense and ability to dance while singing flawlessly etc. If you watch her live performances, you'll realise that she hardly needs autotuning. She sings everything quite flawlessly, and no she does not lip sync. Besides, all artists, to different extents, use autotune and it's not always necessarily a bad thing.

If you want further proof of her minimal use of autotune and her raw talent, you really should do well to listen to her showcasing her piano and vocal skills. It's really not that hard to search them up on youtube. Lady Gaga might be the only mainstream artist to actually frequently perform acapella versions of her songs, whether on her tour (Born This Way during her Monster Ball tour), as a guest on a tv shows/radio talk shows (You And I, Hair, Marry The Night, Edge Of Glory and heaps more).

Last thing, while Gaga's music are mostly fall under (various) dance genre, she does have You And I (a rock ballad). Also before she was famous, she had her own band called the Stefani Germanotta Band which primarily did various different type of rock music consisting of their own material as well as doing covers for progressive rock bands such as Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. I know you might say that it didn't make her famous, but it did catch the eyes of record labels.

I'll stop stanning for her now.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
my dad fought cancer for almost 2 years before he finally succumbed last month. he is the strongest person i know. if i were even half as strong as he was, i'd be like 6 or 8 times as strong as i am right now. he was such an efficient person in everything he did, he managed to finish everything he was supposed to do in his life in half the time!

some of you guys have some straaange personal heroes
:hug:

I respectfully disagree.

Your finding her boring is subjective, and you failed to list down why. I personally find her music very fascinating as she uses extensive use of metaphors/extended metaphors. To understand her music, you actually have to deconstruct it and it also leaves room for interpretation.

Her shock value has nothing to do with being eccentric for the sake of it. She's just expressing her creativity not only in her music, but through what she wears and in her life in general.

Imo, Lady Gaga is possibly one of the most talented artist in recent times. Her ability to songwrite, her ability to play multiple instruments, her stage presense and ability to dance while singing flawlessly etc. If you watch her live performances, you'll realise that she hardly needs autotuning. She sings everything quite flawlessly, and no she does not lip sync. Besides, all artists, to different extents, use autotune and it's not always necessarily a bad thing.

If you want further proof of her minimal use of autotune and her raw talent, you really should do well to listen to her showcasing her piano and vocal skills. It's really not that hard to search them up on youtube. Lady Gaga might be the only mainstream artist to actually frequently perform acapella versions of her songs, whether on her tour (Born This Way during her Monster Ball tour), as a guest on a tv shows/radio talk shows (You And I, Hair, Marry The Night, Edge Of Glory and heaps more).

Last thing, while Gaga's music are mostly fall under (various) dance genre, she does have You And I (a rock ballad). Also before she was famous, she had her own band called the Stefani Germanotta Band which primarily did various different type of rock music consisting of their own material as well as doing covers for progressive rock bands such as Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. I know you might say that it didn't make her famous, but it did catch the eyes of record labels.

I'll stop stanning for her now.
And I respectfully respect your opinion.

I couldn't care for the dance music genre, that is personally just me. As I stated earlier, I might care for her if she showcased her singing and piano (instrument playing) talent more and I shouldn't have to hunt down or blow away money on her to see it in concert (Though I have seen her well done cover of Led Zeppelin's D'Yer Mak'er on YouTube a couple of years ago.) It didn't make her famous and I honestly couldn't care, I do not listen to music based on how "famous" or "popular" a musician may be at the moment.

Edit: This is my last post regarding this, I figure it would be best to just drop this subject and keep the thread on topic.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Scott was probably the strongest person I've ever known in my life. He was the perfect father to his wonderful daughter -- and he was fucking crazy. He used to street race when he was a boy and led police officers on a high speed chase so he could get to the bank on-time to mail his taxes. He never liked me much but after his too early of a death to cancer it really gave me drive to go into medicine.

Without ever knowing that man I'd probably be on a way different path. But for better or for worse right now I'm on this one and I will save a man like him.

Would have to say...my mom. Shes not in the best of shape, due to her struggle with anemia, but she has always shown strength in the face of adversity. Hardly ever taking a rest, she took care of 5 kids and still had to get things done.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not usually one for hero worship, and I know basically nothing about sports players or celebrities... there is one man who I have recently come to deeply admire as a hero.

He was a wanderer, and yet a leader. He was a great warrior, and yet a man of peace. He was a man of compassion, and of cooperation, and a man who set in motion the rebirth and salvation of a nation and people.

That man, was Sakamoto Ryoma.

In the bloody and turbulent era of the Bakamatsu, and Japan's opening to foreign powers, there were many young men of valor who rose up with a great 志 (kokorozashi, "will, drive") to save the country; and many great men among them. However, maybe because of his compassion for people, or dedication to finding peaceful solution amongst swords and guns drawn by all parties, or maybe just because he's so relatable as a clumsy man who eventually found his own path, that endears Sakamoto, lionizes him, and makes him match the mold of "hero."

Now, I'm sure most of you don't even know who Sakamoto Ryoma is, as he is a hero of Japan, and a hero to the Japanese people. I don't want to clog up the whole thread with information one could find at wikipedia but for those who want to read my words on Ryoma, a brief history/description:

Sakamoto Ryoma was born in the Tosa domain in 1836. Tosa samurai, unlike those of other domains, were split into two classes, Joshi (upper samurai) and Kashi (lower samurai). Lower samurai faced intense (and sometimes violent) discrimination by the upper class. The Joshi were connected to the Yamauchi Clan, which ruled Tosa, with Yamauchi Yodo as the daimyo (lord) of the Tosa domain.

The Sakamoto household were lower samurai, but because they were originally merchants, they were a very well off family. When Commodore Perry arrived in Edo bay to open Japan (by gunpoint), Ryoma was a person I can really relate to:

Ryoma was a spoiled, rich brat from a well off family, using the privilege/support of his family to study abroad in Edo. lol

Keep in mind that at the time, each domain was referred to as a "country," and studying in Edo, which was a month's travel from Tosa, was the equivalent of studying abroad. Japan hadn't opened its doors to the outside world in centuries, and the average Japanese would have been shocked (or outraged) by the site of a world map (which showed Japan being so small).

Perry's arrival shook the foundation of the country. And Japan was faced with the serious threat of possible invasion. The western powers were certainly to be feared.

"I visited Shanghai. Truly, it was a miserable sight. The Shinkokujin (Chinese) were treated little different from cows or horses, and the Brittish have them beat into submission. I felt on my very skin, the terror of foreign invasion." --Takasugi Shinsaku, Choshu Domain

Ryoma witnessed Perry's fleet along with Choshu samurai Katsura Kogoro, whom he had befriended in Edo. The sight of the black ships of America terrorized the Japanese, and Ryoma, who saw them personally, was shaken to the core. It would grant him an understanding of foreign power, and shaped the way he viewed Japan's future. Faced by the barrels of America's cannons, the Shogunate could do little but open trade routes under "unfair treaties" of America's design, which were soon copied by Brittain, France, and many other western countries.

Under the threat of foreign invasion, question of Japanese sovereignty and the need to protect the country, two broad schools of thought emerged amongst the Japanese: (1) Kaikoku believed that the country must be opened to survive, and Japan needed to do its best to not make war with foreign countries (2) Sonno Joi "Revere the Emperor, expel the barbarians". Followers of Joi believed that the Japanese must forcefully expel foreigners from the country.

With centuries of samurai indoctrination and tradition, the ruling class believed themselves a warrior people, and the vast majority of samurai, ignorant of the power of western technology, could not imagine that their warrior valor and honed swordsmanship could lose against foreign powers. They did not understand the gap in weaponry, nor the vastness of the world. Because of this, Joi flourished, especially amongst young hot-headed Samurai, and many cried for blood and were outraged at "the desecration of Japanese soil, and the cowardice of the Shogun."

Ryoma's closest friends in Tosa, lead by Takechi Hanpeita, banded together to form the Tosa Kinnoto (Tosa Loyalty Party), which politically maneuvered to use the Emperor's power to force the Shogun to execute Joi (basically, command the various domains to wage war against foreign ships).

Ryoma could not agree with Hanpeita, being a pacifist at heart (despite being an incredible swordsman), while also understanding the futility of Joi by force. Initially he joined the party in order to try an be a voice of reason, trying to quell the forcefulness of the party. He worried deeply about his friends in the party, including Hanpeita, who was a childhood friend.

But, Hanpeita forced Ryoma's beloved fiance, Kao, to leave him and become a spy in Kyoto (by using the life of her older brother, who was one of his followers). When Hanpeita organized the assassination of Tosa's most important administers, Yoshida Toyo, Ryoma, broken hearted by the change in his friend, left the party, and deserted his domain in order to seek out "my own Joi." In the following years, Hanpeita would instigate countless notorious assassinations of anti-Joi men. One of his men, Okada Izo (another of Ryoma's closest friends), was twisted by his loyalty to Hanpeita into becoming one of the most notorious hitokiri of the Bakamatsu (anyone read Rurouni Kenshin?).

Ryoma found his answer when he became the disciple of Katsu Rintaro, an outspoken man of the Bakufu who espoused Kaikoku (open the country), but for the purpose of gaining foreign technology in order to make a strong and independent nation. Ryoma and Katsu wanted to use trade and education to create a Japanese navy, strong enough to discourage foreign invasion. Ryoma had found his way to "expel the barbarians" without going to war. With America in the midst of the Civil War, Katsu cried there was no better time for Japan to build a modern naval force.

By a sad twist of fate, Katsu's philosophy of a united Japan (instead of various squabbling domains), and willingness to take in Rounin (lordless samurai like Sakamoto who had deserted their domains), lead to the Shogunate commanding the disband of his naval academy.

Meanwhile, Joi failed-- while the Shogun was forced to promise Joi to the Imperial court, it allowed "each domain" to decide "for themselves" whether to execute Joi. Only the adamant Choshu domain fired their cannons at the western powers, and were in turn decimated. With Joi failing, the powerful Satsuma domain and the Shogunate banded together to devastate the Choshu forces in Kyoto, and send them packing back to their domain. Satsuma and Choshu became warring rival domains, with a deep grudge.

In Tosa, Yamauchi Yodo (lord of Tosa) was thrilled at the crumbling of Joi. Despite Hanpeita's continued cries of loyalty to the lord, Yamauchi himself was disgusted by the Tosa loyalist party. Yamauchi was close friends with the Shogun, Tokugawa Yoshinobu, and the Yamauchi clan itself was deeply indebted to, and loyal to the Shogun family. Making Tosa a "Joi domain," pretending to be loyal to Yamauchi, and despite being lowly Kashi, having the nerve to become direct vassals of the emperor-- Yamauchi hated everything about Hanpeita. Most of all, he held a deep grudge against Hanpeita for assassinating Yoshida Toyo, who was one of Yamauchi's most trusted advisers. Yamauchi "called back home" all of the Tosa Loyalist part, where he destroyed them, and forced Hanpeita to commit Seppuku.

Ryoma had done everything in his power to stop Hanpeita and his friends from going back to their domain, but Hanpeita had a samurai's honor, and was loyal to his lord until the end. It was an era where the samurai's swords were useless, and their faith in their lords misguided, and everything--HAD to change, for the sake of Japan.

Having lost his beloved Kao, having lost Hanpeita and his closest friends, having lost his teacher and dream of the Japanese navy... Ryoma, was a man transformed. He resolved himself to turn the country upside down...

...the first step, the destruction of the shogunate.

Ryoma and his rounin companions from the Naval academy were picked up by Saigo Kichinosuke (later known as Saigo Takamori, inspiration of the Last Samurai), who was the general of Satsuma domain. Saigo took them to Nagasaki, where Ryoma and his comrades established the Kameyama-Shachuu, a trading company that would change the course of history.

In Nagasaki, Ryouma made connections with Foreign traders, and made contact with Takasugi Shinsaku-- a brave young leader of Choshu who had created the Kiheitai, the first "modern militia" of Japan. Unlike other military forces, the Kiheitai used men of all classes, not just samurai. Choshu was that desperate for military power, as the full force of Satsuma and the Shogunate bore their fangs during the Choshu Conquest movement.

Takasugi had snuck into Nagasaki to buy guns and ships-- having control of Shimonoseki, a major trade point of Japan, Choshu had plenty of money-- but no trust. Western traders were not apt to trade with the one domain that had fired on Western vessels. Choshu samurai were not even allowed inside Nagasaki. Their quest for weapons ultimately failed.

Ryouma knew that if things were left as they were, Choshu would be destroyed, the French-dependent Shogunate would fall under French influence, and a divided Japan would fall. He also knew that Satsuma was also fearful of Shogunate power, and afraid that if Choshu was destroyed, they might be next.

While the samurai of Satsuma and Choshu were bitter enemies, Ryoma was able--through a miracle of political maneuvering--to convince the leaders of both domains that their best chance of survival, was to work together.

Through Ryoma's negotiations, Saigo Kichinosuke of Satsuma, and Katsura Kogoro of Choshu, eventually met create a military union. Kameyama Shachuu created a trade relationship between the two domains-- foreign ships and weapons were bough using Satsuma's name and Choshu's money in order to reinforce the military might of these two already tremendously powerful domains.

When the military union was established, Satsuma announced that they would not cooperate with the Choshu Conquest, and would in fact defend Choshu if necessary. The Shogunate was in uproar, and went ahead with its military campaign without Satsuma.

However, having lost their Satsuma allies, and their morale, the shogunate's united forced were no match for the battle-hardened militia of Choshu, whose naval strategies were further empowered by the guidance of Ryoma and his companions, who were after all, former students of the shogunate's naval academy. Choshu decimated the shogun's forces, and Tokugawa lost face at the defeat.

Satsuma and Choshu now commanded the momentum, and it looked like a civil war would break out, where Tokugawa would be destroyed by the two united domains. The leaders of Satsuma and Choshu were intent on a war that would exterminate the Shogunate.

...and once again, Ryoma stepped up, in order to search for peace.

In the midst of these events, Tosa was looking to establish relations with Choshu and Satsuma. Having heard this, Ryoma believed he had found the perfect opportunity to avert the civil war. Again, defying all odds, Ryoma made an ally of a former enemy, Goto Shojiro, Yoshida Toya's nephew, the man who oversaw Hanpeita's execution, and who was now one of Tosa's key administers. Ryoma and Goto overcame the hatred of Kashi and Joshi, and shook hands, allied themselves to executing Taisei Houkan-- the voluntary forfeit of the rule of the country by the Shogun-- for Tokugawa to return the title of shogun to the Emperor.

With Goto's help, Ryoma was able to meet Yamauchi Yodo, the lord of Tosa, and try to convince Yamauchi to write a recommendation for Taisei Houkan directly to Tokugawa Yoshinobu, the current shogun (who would eventually be the last shogun).

Ryouma presented his Seifu Gouryou "Plan for Government Reformation" to Yamauchi.

政治綱領 "Plan for Government Reformation"

1. 天下ノ政権ヲ朝廷ニ奉還セシメ、政令宜シク朝廷ヨリ出ヅベキ事(大政奉還)
The power of goverment shall be restored to the Emperoro (Taisei Houkan)

2.上下議政局ヲ設ケ、議員ヲ置キテ万機ヲ参賛セシメ、万機宜シク公議ニ決スベキ事(議会開設)
An upper and lower house of legislation will be established, and under public disclosure, vote on the affairs of state.

3. 有材ノ公卿諸侯及ビ天下ノ人材ヲ顧問ニ備ヘ官爵ヲ賜ヒ、宜シク従来有名無実ノ官ヲ除クベキ事(官制改革)
Representatives will be chosen from the current ruling class, but also from the Japanese population at large.

4. 外国ノ交際広ク公議ヲ採リ、新ニ至当ノ規約ヲ立ツベキ事(条約改正)
Japan will work to establish friendly international relationships, and revise the unfair treaties into fair and proper trading agreements.

5. 古来ノ律令を折衷シ、新ニ無窮ノ大典ヲ撰定スベキ事 (憲法制定)
Traditional practices will be relooked, and a new constitution of Japan and its laws will be established.

6. 海軍宜ク拡張スベキ事(海軍の創設)
A Japanese navy will be established.

7. 御親兵ヲ置キ、帝都ヲ守衛セシムベキ事(陸軍の創設)
An army will also be established for the defense of the capital.

8. 金銀物貨宜シク外国ト平均ノ法ヲ設クベキ事(通貨政策)
A national monetary policy will be established in order to regulate the exchange rates with foreign countries (of gold, silver, and other valuables).

Can you imagine, a mere Ronin, and one whom had deserted his position as a Kashi, lower samurai, presenting this plan for reformation to the lord of Tosa-- the man who had destroyed the loyalist party, put Ryoma's friends to death, and was responsible for the oppression of Ryoma's kin for generations. Yamauchi Yodo, who was one of the most revered lords of the era, confident of the shogun, and daimyo of Tosa domain...

To that Yamauchi Yodo, Ryoma presented the plan to relinquish the Shogun's power, and ultimately, abolish the Shogunate, Daimyo, and entirety of the Samurai class.

An excerpt from Ryoma Den, a historical Drama about Ryoma:

"Are you telling the Shogun and Daimyo to disappear!?"

"Yes. Most likely, the entirety of the bushi (samurai) system."

"Tell me Sakamoto... in the world where Shogun and Daimyo have ceased to be... What shall remain... What will remain!?"

"The Japanese... With the strength to stand shoulder to shoulder with foreign powers... the Japanese people shall remain!"
The removal of division above and below (the elimination of class), the removal of division left and right (the elimination of separate soverein domains), and the birth of united Japanese people... all of this was absolutely blasphemous in the face of centuries of Tokugawa rule. But, Sakamoto Ryoma stood before the lord of Tosa, and begged for his help.

...Yamauchi Yodo, agreed. He recommended to the Shogun, that the rule of Japan be returned to the Emperor. Soon after some internal deliberation, the Shogun agreed. Tokugawa Yoshinobu returned the rule of the country to the Emperor. Satsuma and Choshu's army lost their enemy. In time, Katsu Kaishuu, who had been put in charge of the remaining Tokugawa forces, negotiated with Saigo Takamori for the peaceful surrender of military to the imperial army.

The war, was averted. The Meiji Government, was established.

But Sakamoto Ryoma, had been assassinated (only two years after Abraham Lincoln was assassinated ironically).

Perhaps it is the destiny of a hero, and a tragedy of humanity, that he be hated by the very people he fought to save. Sakamoto Ryoma's life ended all too soon at the age of 31-- but behind him he left a tranformed country, and I think the Japanese people will always remember him as a hero.

tl;dr--Sakamoto negotiated the creation of the Satcho alliance that would topple the Shogunate, and he also engineered the return of power to the Emperor, side stepping a terrible civil war. He laid the grown work for a renewed Japan, and envisioned a country strong and independent, modernized, but also at peace.

Ryoma was no Gandi or King Jr., but he was undeniably a man of peace, who only wanted the happiness of his people-- and for that, he staked his life and worked until the very end. Despite being a master swordsman, a hero of the Choshu Conquest war, and living in one of the bloodiest eras of Japan's history, Sakamoto took only 1 life, in self-defense (shooting an assailant) in his entire life.

In every meaning of the world, Ryoma was a hero. :)

Other "Great Men" of the era whom I admire (many mentioned above), to varying degrees:

-Takasugi Shinsaku-- such a bad ass. Just, such a bad ass.
-Iwasaki Yataro (Creator of Mitsubishi, Ryoma's childhood friend-- bad ass businessman)
-Katsu Kaishuu-- does this need explaining?
-Yamauchi Yodo
-Katsura Kogoro (always in the right place at the right time...)
-Saigo Takamori (come on, another bad ass-- he's the real last samurai)
-Okubo Toshimichi (let's throw him in too-- Saigo was a symbolic hero, but Okubo did the work of reforming the nation!)
-Matsudaira Shunsaku
-Shinsengumi (Kondo Isami was a dickhead, but you have to admire the dedication they had to their cause-- Saito Hajime from Rurouni Kenshin is the only reason to read that manga...)

...Kenshin was a pansy-ass

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
i'm not sure if i'd call her my hero, but the person i looked up to the most while she was alive was my grandmother. sometimes i feel foolish for not learning more about her in her younger years - she grew up with her high school sweet heart, my grandfather. smoked way too many cigarettes and got emphysema, worked odd jobs and birthed one son, and watched a lot of court shows and trashy reality TV, along with loads of game shows.

even though she doesn't sound like the most remarkable woman, she's probably the one person that i felt cared about me more than anyone. she always attended my basketball games and orchestra concerts, carting around her oxygen tank to do so, and was always eager to hear me play my violin at home for her, too. i grew up hearing stories about "moonie cooties" traveling to different planets and collecting special gems, and my love of nintendo grew ten fold when she would play ice climbers, balloon fights and two player super mario 3 with me. she always made me go grocery shopping with her, and our trips to the store were fraught with obscenities she would shout at bad drivers, much to my amusement!

she eventually died not from her emphysema, but from an anemia problem. it was something so specific that the treatment they were giving her didn't have a definitive success rate yet. her chances were good. everyone was hopeful, BUT - her condition significantly worsened after she got an allergic reaction to a new oxygen treatment. i held her hand and told her she would be okay if she wanted to be, but she looked awfully tired and far more comfortable with the idea of welcoming death.

like goddamn i don't mean to get so fucking sad, but as soon as she passed away i kind of snapped. for a few months i didn't care what anyone thought about me anymore, and i did what i pleased, even if it meant being rude, late, or just unresponsive. she was the one person whose opinion mattered most to me, and since she was gone i felt like i didn't have any standards to live up to anymore.

well i got out of that funk, and now i am just trying to be the best person that i can be, though i have no idea what i want to do with my life yet, but i keep her in mind all the time. i hope that the things i choose to do and the accomplishments i've attained past her death would be things she would be proud of. i always wanted to make her smile, and now i try to live as if i can make her smile wherever she is.

i admire everyone who can find a hero in a family member. the closest i come to that are my grandparents who live in the next province over, who used to play monster hunter for me when i was little and taught me how to play spyro, and made me tea, and this year my grandma got me skyrim and a bunch of other cool games. it matters to me a lot because the other side of my family is pretty much against all my favorite hobbies... it sucks to be snubbed just because of my interests. ):

i don't see anything wrong with looking up to a fictional character if they have the qualities you appreciate. i have two that are pretty obvious by now so i'm not even going to mention them

real people- that boils down to my childhood heroes.

i grew up reading the redwall novels and i remember counting down the days for the next one to come out, reading them over and over again in elementary school and beyond, up until my last year of high school when the last book in the series came out (which i have, but have not read). i wanted so badly to meet Brian Jacques, who was responsible for my wild imagination that still fuels me today. luckily i was able to before he passed away... he held a book signing for his novel High Rhulain, and we drove out to it. he told us all kinds of stories from when he was a kid, and you could really tell he loved what he did. i was speechless when it was finally my turn to see him, and i just remember him chuckling and talking to me about how it's pronounced "maths" and not "math". he was so nice...

second one is steve irwin, i'm an animal/documentary enthusiast and i watched his show all the time as a kid. for the longest time through elementary school i would say that when i graduated high school, i would go to australia to meet him. unfortunately that became impossible and i kind of just left that dream in the dust. but i have friends there now so the least i could do is visit his zoo. man those were the days...

^This guy

Kurt Cobain is my personal hero. He had the courage to stand up for his beliefs and follow his own path through life. And for all the troubles he went through, right up until the end, he was always such a passionate musician. This guy was a true rock star, and at the same time an everyday person. He was real, which is more than I can say for most celebrities today.

Even if you don't really like his music it's hard to deny how influential it was in shaping the rock world.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
that was a really touching post fishy, she sounds like a lovely lady. i wish i had someone like that in my life...i never really knew my grandparents and now they're all dead. it's something i often regret.

i guess one of my heroes is an old running buddy of mine. he was a bit older and really helped me to settle into the sport. we were similarly capable and would always compete with each other, pushing ourselves to get better. 3 years ago, despite never having drank a day in his life he came down with liver disease. he tried to continue training and it became very difficult to watch this mighty man deteriorate in front of my eyes, succumbing to jaundice and all the other nasties that accompanied the condition. he eventually retired.

when i got injured he was always there to support me, even though he was going through something far worse and I wasn't always in the frame of mind to return the favour. he always remained so optimistic about everything - he always insisted that he would return to running one day but at the time I questioned whether even he believed that.

recently he finally got the liver transplant he needed after having been on the waiting list for the better part of 3 years. it's a measure of the determination of this man that the first thing he did was voice his intent to compete in the paralympics. he's one of the strongest men I know and yet he's still so humble. i always try to respond to challenges in the same way that he did - with optimism, dignity and dauntlessness.

honourable mention: steve rogers

Her shock value has nothing to do with being eccentric for the sake of it.
It couldn't be anything to do with the difference in her record sales between her pre-shock value years and currently.. absolutely not.. laff.

Anyway my answer to the actual question (despite my hatred of the term hero) is Nelson Mandela. Despite more than 20 years of unjust imprisonment he remained a man committed to justice and fairness, suffice it to say I respect that greatly.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
My two personal heroes(is that cheating??)are my Dad and my Grandpa(mom's side. I never really knew my dad's dad because he passed away when I was about 7).

My Grandpa always been there for me, he's always taught me valuable life lessons, he's taught me math and what not. He's awesome. When he left back to Cuba on February, everyday of the week we would sit down and have some coffee or something in the backyard and he would teach me lifestyles and stuff. He would go, "Daniel, now that you're 16 and you have two more years of High school left, you have to make tough choices and focus on your studies", and such. He's the best. I'm definitely passing down some wisdom of his to my own children.
thug lyfe w/ grandad

My other personal hero is my dad. I want to be a father like he is now. He's basically taught me stuff like my Grandpa has, but he sort of relates to me more personally. Whenever I would have some problem in Middle-school he would always back me up, and protect me and stuff. Me and him have a lot in common too. He read the same books, we love rock music, ect. He's cool. He's the perfect dad in my eyes. I know I said a lot about my grandpa than my own dad, but he's just too cool for mere words.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)