SM LC Wonderland

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

--------------------------------------------------
Introduction

Hello guys, I’m tcr. I’m a slightly irrelevant player that has played in the lc tier for since 2013 (wow its really been five years…). I have played since the BW era, which is what I’m most known for. I said once before that I would never do another rmt again, yet here I am lol. For a while it had seemed that I had lost interest in pokemon, as I never wanted to ladder and did poorly in individual tournaments, I thought I would never play pokemon again. Yet here I am in gen 7, and I can say that SM LC is one of my favorite tiers so far. I wanted to rmt this team because I think it can end up being a staple in generation 7 voltturn teams. I topped the ladder with this team and managed to get 2 separate alts in the top 5 of the lc ladder as well, and I’m sure I can get those to end up being numbers 2 and 3 on the ladder. This team has had astounding success, the flow when you use it is phenomenal and I find it hard to lose on it unless I get unlucky against something like Torchic or miss HJK. Very rarely does it lose momentum, however as most voltturn teams go once you lose momentum you tend to lose the game. Anyways, that’s enough introduction, let’s take a look at the team.

riolu ladder taem.PNG

Teambuilding

1518766265287.png
1518766328876.png

I started with Riolu. I knew I wanted to build around this pokemon after fighting starmaster and getting pushed around by Riolu. People at the time were running some Z move set (I’ve seen Z-Fight and Z-Steel Riolu on the ladder) but I decided I wanted to go with a bulkier set, so I can revenge kill more and live hits. I wanted bulky because I also decided that I wanted to run Fastfoo. Just an excellent mon and I figured that double fight could put in work on teams whose only fight resist is often Foongus or Spritzee.

1518766265287.png
1518766328876.png
1518766416269.png

From there I added Diglett. Diglett is, in my opinion, one of the most broken mons on voltturn, and an absolute demolisher of most standard teams. You can run it with things like Torchic, Mienfoo, Vullaby, Chinchou and just demolish things with Groundium Z. Often its as simple as finding what the biggest gateway to a sweep would be and trapping that thing. Many times I use Diglett to eliminate opposing Mienfoo (after a Knock Off or if revealed as a Z-move set), Knocked Spritzee, Snubbull, Knocked Timburr, Staryu, BJ Onix, and more. Its so easy to just continually clicking U-turn and watching things die as they get trapped by Diglett.
1518766265287.png
1518766328876.png
1518766396505.png
1518766435707.png

After Diglett I knew I was weak to Abra, Gastly, and didn’t really want to take on a Mienfoo either. Vullaby was the next addition to my team, that allows me to absorb Fake Outs from Meowth or Mienfoo as well as checking everything from Torchic to Abra. U-turn is nice to lure in Sturdy Onix as well, and it’s a great pivot to the team. Its utility is outstanding, and although I don’t really ever use Defog, it has access to it so I don’t get overwhelmed by Veil teams or Spikestacking against some bulkier squad that has solid fighting answers.
1518766265287.png
1518766328876.png
1518766398943.png
1518766437819.png
1518766472826.png

I really wanted a Scarfer now, and I figured that with momentum I could run a Pursuit trapper on top of Diglett. Pawniard came to mind, as it has the added benefit of straight up cleaning through teams mid game, or if need be I can just Knock Off and lure in things like Timburr and Mienfoo for Diglett to dispatch (two threats to the team if played correctly).
1518766265287.png
1518766328876.png
1518766400614.png
1518766441738.png
1518766475816.png
1518766545537.png

Lastly I needed something to glue everything together. I knew I REALLY wanted a Torchic switchin, because Z-sets really messed with me. Berry Juice Magnemite came to mind, as it can check everything from Diglett to Onix to Torchic to Vullaby. It’s a secondary Flying switchin as well which is nice. At first I was skeptical of Sturdy Mag’s usefulness, but in all honesty having that Sturdyjuice set is really useful, as it allows me to PP stall things like Ponyta or Snivy. Between Magnemite and Vullaby, I can also pivot back and forth to deal with Wynaut, something that traditionally steals momentum from teams but in fact this team abuses.

1518766265287.png
1518766328876.png
1518766400614.png
1518766441738.png
1518766552317.png
alolan grimer.PNG

There was a time where I tried using Grimer-Alolan over Pawniard and ScarfMag, to see how well that dealt with Fighting-types (since theoretically I could just Gunk Shot things like Timburr). I didn’t really like it as the team doesn’t do bad against Abra or Gastly at all and Grimer just sucked momentum out of the team, as well as bringing the overall Speed down. Scarf Mag just didn’t check things like BJ Mag does, and I found myself missing the ability to Endure and get a nice kill on something like Diglett. Shoutouts to Sken for the suggestions though.

In-Depth Look

1518767396814.png
1518767357637.png
1518767478361.png
1518767512116.png
1518767576658.png
1518767606870.png

Magnemite @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
Level: 5
EVs: 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flash Cannon
- Endure
- Recycle
- Volt Switch
Berry Juice Magnemite is soooo good. I cannot stress how good it is, and how fluid it makes this team feel. Berry Juice Magnemite is my main answer to Snivy, although it also notably lures in those Wingull / Diglett teams. Outside of burns, this set walls so much, from Ponyta to Staryu to even Chinchou (you can PP Stall out Hydro Pump, allowing Diglett to easily trap it). Flash Cannon is essential for STAB, it lets me hit Foongus neutrally and deal about 60% to it after its Knocked Off, 2hkoing. Flash Cannon is necessary for Diglett and Onix as well, as I can bait them in with Endure since many people assume it is Scarved. Endure + Recycle is cheesy fun that lets you PP stall so much, from Snivy’s Leaf Storm to Ponyta’s Flare Blitz / Morning Sun to Torchic Fire Blast. Magnemite is best used when you can get it in safely, as such I rarely ever switch it into something unless I absolutely need to absorb the hit. This is often for things like Mudbray if I’ve weakened it a little in a situation or Foongus if I’ve already let something be slept. Lastly Volt Switch is keeping in theme with the momentum grabbing that the team naturally has, and is good for checking Birds. Berry Juice Magnemite is often my check for Vullaby, especially if I’ve played to riskily and let it get any boosts.

1518767391698.png
1518767375025.png
1518767455734.png
1518767523346.png
1518767643246.png
1518767287176.png

Pawniard @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Iron Head​
Pawniard is a great bird switchin, and general check to the faster threats in the metagame, like Wingull, Gastly, Abra, Elekid, Diglett, and more. Its typing means it is ALSO a great pivot, allowing me to switch into non-Heat Wave Vullaby and deal with it through Iron Head, deal with non-Hidden Power Foongus, and spread Knock Off whenever it switches in. I first saw my friend Osh (Stimpakz) on the ladder using and abusing Scarf Pawniard, and I thought to myself “Hey, why don’t I do that?” I gotta say Pawniard is just amazing, its general utility in spreading Knock Off is so helpful for Riolu cleaning, especially since it lures in Fighting types like Timburr and Mienfoo. Pursuit was the main move of the set, and allows me to always trap things like Wingull and Gastly, though to be honest I don’t really use it that often because it gives free set up to Pokemon like Timburr or Shellder or Scraggy. Knock Off is self-explanatory, it is arguably the best move in the tier its utility is unparalleled. It’s also a nice STAB to spam late game. Iron Head lets me bop slowfoo, after I lure it in and Knock Off (if I didn’t do that from the lead) Iron Head 2hkoes, and has the benefit of checking Vullaby (really useful with Diglett because I can Rock Tomb if I plan on sacking Diglett then Iron Head and outspeed with Scarf. Last move Sucker Punch over Brick Break because with two fights and a Diglett do I really need to check Pawniard / Steels? Sucker lets me eat the Vullaby Knock Off and not be dead weight, often catching a surprise kill. Sucker Pawn means that I always have a good matchup against Webs teams, because worst case scenario I’m Knocked Off but at +2. Useful for things like Scarf Snivy as well, or Diglett after I’m Knocked since they don’t expect it.

1518767404571.png
1518767365162.png
1518767473190.png
1518767619488.png
1518767571610.png
1518767292096.png

Vullaby @ Berry Juice
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 116 HP / 76 Def / 156 SpD / 116 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog​
Starnaster turned me on to this Vullaby set, and I gotta say it is absolutely phenomenal. The spread allows you to always be able to switch into Abra or Gastly, eat the Berry Juice then regain momentum or kill something. Vullaby is in my opinion a Pokemon that is close to broken. I don’t think its quite broken in this metagame, as there are certainly ways to deal with it, but its such a versatile mon that you never really know what you’re gonna expect until you see it. Its one of those Pokemon that you have to check nigh 3 separate times, because the Eviolite Roost set has different counters from Berry Juice Weak Armor and Nasty Plot sets often end up luring standard checks. It can run offtech Hidden Power Grass to deal with Onix or Kabuto, which when you see a physical set you never expect the offtech. Anyway, it fits perfectly on this team, and is technically one of the team’s Fighting “resists.” By “resist” I mean that often I live a hit then have to predict whats gonna happen next to preserve momentum. Brave Bird is STAB move that targets Grass types and Fighting-types, my only qualm is that it doesn’t OHKO Timburr outright, so often I have to sac a one for one with Timburr as I kill with Diglett. Berry Juice and Rocks weak is a cool concept because I can always play around hazards to bring my back to full and check something once more. Knock Off is standard utility move, and alongside Pawniard and Mienfoo completes the trifecta. U-turn on a voltturn team isn’t really surprising, it lets me U-turn out from Onix and other Pokemon and allows ease of trapping for Diglett, especially since Steel-types and Rock-types are typically the Vullaby switchin. Lastly I have Defog on the slot. Notably I don’t really use it that much, but its honestly better to have it than to not have it as sometimes Rocks can suck in lategame when I need Magnemite to be full health (against something like a Pawniard or Mienfoo that will more likely Knock Off my Berry Juice). Not afraid to Defog on Pawniard because I got a big dick and play around it.

1518767414304.png
1518767332773.png
1518766809626.png
1518767533485.png
1518767559581.png
1518767272353.png

Diglett @ Groundium Z
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Sucker Punch
- Protect​

Diglett is absolutely essential to make the team work. The team relies on pivoting and maintaining momentum, and Diglett helps to catch any mistake my opponent makes. Groundium Z is the item because honestly that’s the only good Diglett set. Its so good for just catching things like Snubbull, or 60% Foongus, or Mareanie. Diglett is often one of the mons I pivot to the most, as Mienfoo and Riolu are just so good at luring in problem pokemon for Diglett to eliminate. Earthquake is pretty standard STAB, and allows me to have a 180 BP Tectonic Rage Z-move, koing everything except some Timburr sets and Mienfoo from full (with Eviolite). I chose to use Rock Tomb because I don’t find much difference between Rock Slide, and at least Rock Tomb lets me drop it on Vullaby allowing Pawniard to outspeed Weak Armor sets and KO (for the Berry Juice set notably, Eviolite is often handled by a combination of hit it hard and abuse Pawniard). Sucker Punch is useful for catching things like Diglett ties, for getting last minute chip damage, and to revenge kill weakened Scarf pokemon. Lastly Protect is incredibly useful. Protect lets me scout on things like Scarf Vullaby, Scarf Rufflet, Scarf Doduo (notice how they’re all birds) as well as block Fake Out and wear down Sucker Punch PP on Pawniard. Protect has been useful for bopping Mienfoo as well, because I can often eat the Fake Out then protect on their High Jump Kick, allowing me to kill Mienfoo without Groundium Z. I don’t really like using Memento or some other tech move as the team doesn’t really have a set up sweeper to abuse that momentum and I’d rather keep Diglett for as long as possible.

1518767409752.png
1518766823086.png
1518767442348.png
1518767528866.png
1518767562658.png
1518767277353.png

Mienfoo (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 196 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Fake Out​

Mienfoo is one of the most ubiquitous Pokemon in the tier. It literally does everything you need, team compression at its finest. Oftentimes I will lead with Mienfoo as it is one of the most safe leads out there, allowing a free Fake Out. More often than not the lead matchup is Mienfoo vs Mienfoo, and I often use that matchup to gauge what set my opponent is, whether BulkyFoo or FastFoo or even something else. You can usually tell from Fake Out damage, or if their Mienfoo uses Fake Out first. Mienfoo is useful for scouting Onix sets as well, as I’m willing to risk the tie to prevent rocks up, and a combination of Fake Out + High Jump Kick kills any Onix set bar Endure sets, but most people aren’t going to Endure turn 2. Not really too much to say, I’m sure my Mienfoo EVs could be better but it’s the right mix of bulky and fast, and is durable enough that I can switch it in and out and rely on it as a strong pivot. High Jump Kick is standard, its just a nuke everytime you press it and they don’t have some Fighting resist. Knock off is great utility, and is essential to spread to catch things like Spritzee and Snubbull. U-turn is to preserve momentum and is especially useful against Snivy because I can just U-turn then U-turn again with Riolu. Lastly Fake Out is good chip damage, and is one of the ways I deal with Vullaby if it gets too big, because sometimes I fuck up and have to rely on the chip damage to deal with Nasty Plot sets. Typically though, in Vullaby lead matchups, I’ll Fake Out and try to gauge if their Vullaby is NP or Scarf from the set. Scarf Vulaby is the only set that fully OHKOes Mienfoo with Brave Bird, so it can be a pain to deal with. However many Vullaby seem to use Mienfoo as Nasty Plot bait, allowing me to just OHKO after a Fake out / Knock Off with HJK. Air Slash does not KO unless it crits or flinches, so I just gotta be lucky!

1518767594598.png
1518767347286.png
1518767487931.png
1518767507783.png
1518767579855.png
1518767304852.png

Riolu @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 196 HP / 196 Atk / 116 Def
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Copycat
- High Jump Kick
- Protect
The king itself, Riolu is an absolute monster at single-handedly tearing apart teams. Oh standard balance? It pivots in and out in conjunction with U-turn, scaring out threats left and right with its High Jump Kick. Oh you brought hazard stack? I just go Riolu and then we play chicken only my team wins because I have a shitton of priority and Speed. Oh webs team? How do you like your own webs? Riolu is phenomenal at checking off arch-types of teams like Dwebble offense or Sticky Web, because those same teams do NOT like having their own tactics thrown into them. Since my team has two fights and three Snivy resists, as well as 2 Protects (so I can stall out Leaf Storm), I am not worried at all about standard webs offense “counter webs” Pokemon like Pawniard or Snivy. Possibly the only downside Riolu has is that its Prankster does not work on Dark-types. Now this doesn’t really come up often, it mostly is a thing for Vullaby since you are outsped by most sets and can’t cheese it with HJK into Copycat, but if more people catch on you can fundamentally treat your Dark-types like theyre Ghost types as if Riolu fails to Copycat a HJK it still crashes. HJK is standard STAB, and is useful for clearing up teams as long as it doesn’t miss. HJK off of 17 Atk is nothing to sneeze at. Copycat is essential to Riolu’s gimmick, allowing it to copy things like Stealth Rock, Spikes, Sticky Web, STAB moves, or even just revenge kill faster Pokemon like Diglett or Abra. Protect is useful for Mienfoo matchups, as just like Diglett I can eat the Fake Out and let Mienfoo crash. It also lets me get first U-turn a lot of the time, or pick off weakened sweepers with their own moves. Meteor Mash in the last slot because I think Meteor Mash is a cool move its just like “psSHOOOWW” and boom a meteor hits the Pokemon. This slot used to be Swords Dance, but I found that Swords Dance sweeping is hard because of Dark-types, so a Steel-STAB is nice to hit Spritzee with. It can be useful against Foongus as well when I am trying to sack Riolu to trap with Diglett. The attack raise is nice when it happens but rarely super useful other than like a “oh that’s neat” way.

Threatlist

Offensive Threats

– Usually a Groundium Z set, not really that difficult to deal with. It usually involves either sacking a Pokemon to revenge with Mienfoo / Riolu, using Vullaby, outspeeding it with Pawniard, or using Magnemite as bait. Memento sets can be a problem if it catches the right Pokemon as some threats like Scraggy or Pawniard can be tough to deal with in certain scenarios.

– Mienfoo is not that difficult to deal with, it typically involves Mienfoo vs Mienfoo matchups where I sacrifice my Eviiolite for his so Diglett can trap Mienfoo later on. Vullaby works as well to deal with it, as it can absorb the Fake Out and be super fast. In a pinch Riolu can put in work thought typically that would mean Riolu takes around 60% health which is a lot.Scarf sets can just be beaten by my own Mienfoo / Vullaby, and Z-move sets like Supersonic Strike can be ohkoed by Diglett. I try to always target Mienfoo or Foongus, the pivots on teams because they seem to fall apart easily after that.

– Vullaby is hard to deal with at times but also not at the same time. It seems to be a razors edge, as it often relies on me using my own Mienfoo to bait and lure it. Fake Out + HJK kills BJ Weak Armor sets, though has to be wary of Brave Bird. Scarf sets and physical sets can be taken on by Pawniard and whittled down, while slower Eviolite sets are removed by Magnemite.

– Trapped by Pawniard, Sucker’ed by Diglett, and still revenged by Magnemite.

– Dealt with by fast paced momentum gains, either through Riolu revenging or Mienfoo. When its actually in Diglett and Pawniard beat it, Riolu can break sash or U-turn, say off a kill with U-turn and then you send out Riolu v Abra. Just outspeed it and make sure to break sash and youre good.

– OHKOed by Diglett and also taken care of by Magnemite in a pinch.

– Timbur is difficult to deal with as its just bulky enough to withstand a ton of attacks unless I can Knock off its eviolite. Vullaby is often my switchin although that doesn’t work for long and I’m playing a dangerous game in case they’re Ice Punch.

– Typically as a lead, I go Mienfoo and break their Sturdy and to scout their set. Then I risk the tie, rocks aren’t that bad compared to killing Onix, and if I win great! They’re down one Pokemon, but if I lose its not a big deal. Trapped by Diglettt sturdy is broken. Riolu 1v1s Weak Armor sets.

– Pawniard is outsped by Mienfoo, but can be difficult to deal with. Typically have to Knock off in case its scarf as I don’t want it outspeeding everything as with one good predict im swept. Riolu can eat a hit, and Mag can eat a hit if desperate. Diglett also seems to live sometimes which is nice.

– Scarf sets have a rough time with 3 resists. Vullaby typically handles the rest, living Leaf Storm + HP Ice. You can safely U-turn out into Riolu to OHKO it or do what you please.

– a fucking pain just ban this thing already. Torchic is absolutely dreadful to face in this tier, as its ability to pass boosts to the most random mons on top of being a threat itself sucks to deal with. Gotta play smart with Magnemite and Vullaby.

– Diglett takes care of all but NP Vaccuum Wave sets (roll). Vullaby is a good answer as well, but can be annoying if you lose something essential early.

– Pawniard and Magnemite make Doduo not that hard to check thought you still gotta be careful of stray Knock Offs or Scarf Jump Kick predictions.

– A pain to deal with, have to play smart with Magnemite. Really sucks if its at +2 Speed from Torchic as it can sweep if not handled correctly.

– Trapped by Diglett, Magnemite can help kill sets. WoW sets suck to fight and Z Sunny Day also blows.

– Easy matchup, Shellder cannot break through the combined mights of Pawniard and BJ Magnemite. Playing smart with Endure is the way to go, worse comes to worse you can sack something to revenge kill with Fake Out Foo. Don’t let it get Smashes for free though, its essential that you play well against Aurora Veil teams.

– Magnemite is the main answer, though Riolu can also work depending on the move. Trapping it with Pawniard is also good just watch out for U-turn because Pursuit won’t kill if they U-turn.

– Annoying to deal with not so much because of itself but because its prescence means I can’t really use Magnemite. Double Switching on Mag into Mienfoo is good, Knocking off its Scarf if it has it is excellent because you can trap it.

– Not a big threat, trap it or just hit it hard with Mienfoo. Pawniard is a good switchin as well as most of the time Grimer-A teams are kinda slow and most run bulk foo, allowing you to Iron Head spam to your hearts content.

– Have to pray or bait out Shattered Psyche sets, most are Life Orb though so Mienfoo isn’t quite OHKOed. Vullaby can also U-turn out of it, and Magnemite can withstand hits.

– Troublesome, Magnemite is my answer to this although just hitting it hard is often enough to stop it from setting up. Call the bluff on them Aqua Jetting and use Groundium Z.

– Outpace it or use priority. Fake Out Mienfoo is nice for chip damage, and can live a Psychic.

– Not too difficult, pivot in and out with Mienfoo but must be sure to maintain momentum. BJ sets are outsped by almost everything and get knocked off and scarf sets are easily trapped.

– Protect spam usually helps with this matchup as its most likely scarved. If it’s been passed too by Torchic well not a lot you can do except go to Magnemite and take the hit.

– Threatening with a boost, DD+Drain Punch can straight 6-0 with the right support and I haven’t faced any but Z-Zen Headbutt sets are probably threatening as well.

– Protect spam helps with this, can’t deal with the priority and momentum usually, have enough disruptors (Fake Out, Protect, Copycat) that it never really gets the chance to do anything.

– Mold Breaker sets can be a pain, if not Scarf especially painful, have to use my priority to deal with it. Scarf sets can be revenged by Riolu, but not a whole lot can switch in on it.

– Riolu and Mienfoo deal with this, I guess Diglett to some extent too. Vullaby can take a hit and Brave Bird but is not reliable.

– Kinda like the Timburr matchup, just lure it in and Knock Off and hit it as hard as you possibly can.

– Non-scarf sets are trapped by diglett, while Scarf sets have trouble breaking past Magnemite.

– Magnemite, and Snover has a really hard time against good voltturn offense.

– Not sure how this is, but I have a lot of U-turns and can potentially stall out Earthquake with Magnemite.

– Uhhh I haven’t really faced too many of these but I can only assume that a mixture of Magnemite / Vullaby / Diglett will kill this thing.

– Shell Smash teams are checked by Magnemite, and it can hardly ever get a safe switchin (only on Vullaby who just U-turns). Hazard sets get mirror hazarded by Riolu, and from there it’s a high octane match.

– plethora of fast mons and priority means Taillow almost never gets to do anything. 1v1’d by Riolu and I can always trap with Pawniard.

– If Shell Smash it can be difficult to deal with, must break Sturdy and keep offensive pressure. U-turn into full health Magnemite is usually a good plan but can be fucked if it carries Knock Off and predicts that first.

– Aurora Veil teams are a pain, gotta Defog them or win the Speed tie. If predicting well you can just OHKO with Diglettt but that’s a waste sometimes.

– See above, only really seen on Aurora Veil teams. Offensive pressure and don’t let it set up, burn its Berry Juice if you have to so you can revenge kill with Fake Out.

– On paper a bigger threat than it would seem. Can’t take any hits so if you have to sack seomthing try to get it into defeatist range. Magnemite also deals with it but must watch out for Knock Off.

– If not Scarf killed by Diglett, if Scarf I have two Protect users to scout for and plenty of resists / immunities for its moveset.

Defensive Threats

– Another difficult Pokemon to take out, I typically have to let it sleep something (most of the time Riolu) and do a series of complicated maneuvers between Mienfoo Diglett and Pawniard to break it down and finally trap it. Vullaby also works but I try to save Vullaby for different threats.

– Two fights break it down easy, and Vullaby can always Defog away the hazards. Just click HJK and watch it die.

– Knocked off by Mienfoo, lured by Meteor Mash Riolu and killed by Magnemite. Not much to say here, Covet sets can be annoying because they can steal your Berry Juice.

– Trap this with Diglett. Expend your Groundium on it if you must, because typically people put Snubbull on teams as their only Fighting-resist and so this can be abused.

– Riolu just mirrors the hazard set up, turning the match into a high octane 10 turn match because of full hazards. Most of the time my team is the one that pulls through, its just so offensive that its hard for a lot of teams to keep up.

– Kill with Magnemite, or either of your Fighters. Pawniard works I guess, but this will only really be switching into Vullaby so as long as you don’t give it that opportunity.

– Easily trapped by Diglett, can’t deal with the offensive pressure. Not much to switch into though

– Magnemite, lure with Mienfoo, Vullaby can kill it too. Just spam Knock Off early game.

– Played around with with Magnemite and Vullaby. Make sure you’re U-turning all game so you can U-turn into Magnemite if you need to, then Recycle and Volt Switch into Vullaby. Repeat. Alternatively trapped by Pawniard.
Frillish – Knock Off and trap with Pawniard. Mienfoo is helpful against these, and if on webs well it will also have a speed drop.

– Munchlax against two fighting types? Not that useful of a Pokemon, only helps against Magnemite and even then it can win 1v1 with Flash Cannon drops.

– Knock Off, Vullaby is useful in this. Don’t let it set Burns if you can, and ESPECIALLY don’t let it burn Pawniard.

– Riolu can mirror Webs, Vullaby can Defog and set up on it, and it cannot deal with Magnemite.

– Not really that prevalent, but dealt with by Pawniard / offensive pressure. Often just clicking U-turn forces these things out.

– Lead Vullaby, U-turn into Riolu, set up webs too. Vullaby defogs on it all day long if that plan doesn’t sound nice though, and obviously Magnemite deals with it.

Conclusion

This team overall was extremely fun to use, I’ll probably continue playing with it. I think that this team showcases Riolu, a unique mon in Little cup that most certainly deserves to be higher in viability, and its my hope that this thread will inspire other people to use Riolu as well. Its one of the most versatile Pokemon imo, up there with Cottonee, and can function as numerous roles on a team, albeit not intentionally. I had a lot of fun laddering, more so than I thought I would, and Top of the ladder plus several other peaks show that the team is actually very decent. The only shoutouts I have for people are the ones who would typically get a shoutout (you know who you are), but more specifically shoutouts to Sken, Osh, pinktidal, infamy, and various other ladder heroes that gave me good matches on the ladder or for helping me with testing or for tweaking teams. Also shoutout to starmaster for making me realize how Riolu could be used so efficiently.

Replays

vs problem pokemon Timburr and Scraggy
Overpowering Dwebble Offense with Riolu
dancing with Magnemite against SD Torchic pass to Mudbray
Another Torchic / Snivy team
overpowering Dwebble offense again
Some Oddish team that I thought was kinda solid
Against Osh, one of the better players on the ladder
Covet Spritzee made Magnemite useless

Importable

Diglett @ Groundium Z
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Mienfoo (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 196 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Fake Out

Pawniard @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Vullaby @ Berry Juice
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 116 HP / 76 Def / 156 SpD / 116 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

Magnemite @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flash Cannon
- Endure
- Recycle
- Volt Switch

Riolu @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 196 HP / 196 Atk / 116 Def
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Copycat
- High Jump Kick
- Protect

Attachments

Last edited:

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Hi tcr,

That looks like a super fun team! Congrats on the ladder peaks.

First things first - you're missing EVs on a few guys. Pawniard and Magnemite could use 36 EVs in Defense, and Diglett could use 36 EVs in HP. I don't see any reason not to run these (I'm assuming you just forgot).

Other than that, I could see some small changes, but not much that would make your team outright better. You mentioned your weaknesses to Ponyta and Torchic, but I don't see how those can be fixed without drastically changing up your team and potentially creating new holes/removing the wincon in the process.

Timid on Magnemite could be worth a shot to outspeed more variants of Vullaby before Weak Armor while a lot of little rolls will change between Timid and Modest, they don't usually affect OHKOs/2HKOs. You could try fitting Stealth Rock on Pawniard or Diglett, but that's a tad suboptimal, and seeing how the team gets its kills and isn't at all weak to Sturdyjuice users, you're probably fine without it. If you do choose to run Stealth Rock, I would probably ditch Sucker Punch on Pawniard since all of Diglett's moves seem at least somewhat important.

For what it's worth, Rock Slide on Diglett has a better chance to OHKO Wingull than Rock Tomb does, which can make a difference when you don't have a reliable way to get rocks up. I'd say Rock Tomb into Pawniard for Vullaby sounds more important since Magnemite isn't super reliable if they break Sturdy, and Rock Tomb already puts Wingull into Pursuit range if Wingull does choose to stay in. Toxic is a potential filler over Protect to cripple Mudbray and Pumpkaboo, but Protect for (Scarf) Mienfoo would probably be useful more often, and Toxic sort of sucks anyways.

Great work, and good luck!

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey! I noticed the EVs were a little messed up as I was typing this up but was just too lazy to actually edit them (crazy how the team did so well with inefficient spreads though).

I’ll probably swap between Rock Slide and Rock Tomb depending on my mood, I dont think it really matters that much, for example the rolls are identical against Larvesta. It matters for Wingull I guess, I just will miss the Speed drop against Vullaby. Idk really will depend on the mood as I think both work!

I think I’ll take your advice on Timid Magnemite just to hit 15 to outspee most Vullaby rather than tying. theres a lot of random 14 mons too that it might be beneficial to outspeed, and Mudbray can also be a problem so having the ability to tie a lot of sets is cool or outright outspeed and fuck with 14 speed Mudbray without relying on Berry juice mind games.

I dont think Ill slot Stealth Rock on anything as blasphemous as that sounds. The team doesnt have that much issue dealing with Sturdy. It might help a little with the Fire-Type matchups and Vullaby but all they really need is to get in once and set up and even then I still usually have Magnemite. I just think losing the utility of protect / Sucker on Diglett is too much, protect is soooo useful for scouting scarf mons or blocking fake out / HJK while Sucker is always good for a little chip. Actually I may try SR on Diglett, setting up SR on something that might kill me like Snivy or Foongus can be useful as a suicide move since often Torchic / Snivy teams get Torchic super low. I dont think ill try toxic tho, it doesnt really fit with the momentum the team generates and doesnt really answer Mudbray since Mudbray will just kill Diglett in response. Thank you for taking the time to look at this team!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)