Hobbies Writing & Writers

If you're a writer, what kind of work do you write? Fiction, or non-fiction? What are you working on now?

I write constantly, it's habitual, I constantly need to write down whatever I'm thinking about. I often massively overwrite, I write way too much and have to edit down like 75% of it. I mainly write non-fiction essays about history that I hope to compile into a collection one day. I am currently writing a criticism of Hegel's Lectures on the Philosophy of History, I normally don't do literary critiques but this book/collection of lectures and Hegel's work as a historian in general are unique in their ahistoricity and long-term impact on the study of history and I feel a need to directly address his ideas.

Last edited:
I write constantly, it's habitual, I constantly need to write down whatever I'm thinking about. I often massively overwrite, I write way too much and half to edit down like 75% of it.
I used to write small stories back when I was in school just for fun, I say small but I'd often just go on and on and on lol - I don't really do much of this anymore though

If it counts, I absolute love writing guides for stuff. Walkthroughs, guide to doing X, etc - I find writing mundane things fun, even when it comes to "boring work emails", I honestly have fun writing them and writing invoices up lol.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Currently writing a novel. It much work. Hit page 100 the other day. Been at it a few months now. I hate to admit but the advice of "just write" is so true. Back when I started I wanted to have the entire story planned out step by step. But that became completely impossible, at least for me. But its ok, because through the process of writing so many ideas form. So many plot-points and character details came out once I actually started stringing the words together.

It truly is less of "ready, aim fire," and more "fire, aim, ready."

I used to write small stories back when I was in school just for fun, I say small but I'd often just go on and on and on lol - I don't really do much of this anymore though

If it counts, I absolute love writing guides for stuff. Walkthroughs, guide to doing X, etc - I find writing mundane things fun, even when it comes to "boring work emails", I honestly have fun writing them and writing invoices up lol.
I feel the same way about writing up "mundane" things. I make a lot of unnecessary lists and charts because I find it relaxing. I wrote about half of a travel guide to Gustavus, Alaska.

I am currently writing a fictional novel set in a world where people with purple eyes have powers and they see average people as gods
I'm 10 000 words into it

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I haven't been writing much lately because I am working and focusing on other endeavors. However, I sometimes write about my thoughts about Historical primary source documents from antiquity (Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome). I also annotate many philosophical works such as Aristotle's Politics and Metaphysics, Plato's Republic, Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, etc. I also wrote about the latest research in "Late Antquity" from Peter Brown and Kyle Harper's interesting but shaky research on climate change in Late Antiquity. I find myself writing less as I am less inclined to seek a career in Academia since I found a better career path once I graduated.

I also write short fictional stories based on issues I see in society, i.e., loneliness, alienation, and extremism. This thread has encouraged me to look at some of my stories and continue to write. I currently see myself writing sparingly as my job and my other hobbies take up more of my time.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I was actually just thinking the other day that I do miss writing academic papers, to some degree anyway lol. I had gotten pretty good at Chicago style (History major), and I always did enjoy researching topics. Nothing to really write about these days, don't have a reason to write anything for my job and most of my free time goes to other activities (my movie and video game backlog is insane as is). I have considered writing again for Smogon as it's always been a topic I enjoy but that would require a lot of rust shaking to be familiar and accurate enough on the competitive side of things haha.

Never was much of a creative writer myself, all the more power to those that do. Poetry is greatly underrepresented these days in particular and think more people in general should pursue it, myself included lol. I have a coworker working on a book that's just reached the editing stage. He's not exactly what I'd have ever called a "learned individual" but hey, never let the haters tell you you can't do something. Hopefully something comes of it, would be really neat if/when it comes to fruition.

I published a thimbleful of poems in a literary magazine last year (first time I tried submitting anything). They were written in 2016 and 2021; most of what I've written before 2021 has been destroyed by myself. Indeed the first ten years of writing are always horrible.

I'm happier that this worked out than about everything else I've done in life.

Recently I've shifted from writing mostly sonnets to free-verse hymns. If anything, it has become more difficult without "the line's birthday". Celan was pivotal in that change.

I do not write much. Silence is most often better.

In this I am definitely not like Celan, who was able to turn seemingly any assortment of reading tidbits from the FAZ, Gershom Sholem, and an automotive manual into a coherent poem. Or so I guess, because I cannot pretend to understand Celan much after Atemwende, but I still try studying him.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
For years I feel like I've been a pretty good writer, getting pretty consistent grades on school writing assignments and having a collection of free writing ideas too. During the late 2010s into 2020 or so, when I was dead set on trying to find my niché within the greater Pokémon fandom, I started working on a series of fanfictions taking place in an alternate universe of the core series Pokémon canon, based largely around my experiences and memories about my favorite Pokémon game that being Ranger: Guardian Signs. Starting in 2021, things changed. At the time, my interest in Pokémon was rapidly deteriorating, and my interest in continuing my series went with it. I ended up enjoying Pokémon Violet a little bit more than expected, but I'd still call Gen 9 a pretty below average generation overall, especially given the complete lack of new spinoffs to look forward to (no, the Detective Pikachu sequel doesn't count, that was supposed to be a Gen 8 game originally).

Ever since all of this happened, I haven't yet found any reason to want to continue creative writing, not wanting to stress myself out more than I already have with delayed, yet rushed content that won't get any attention anyways. I'm almost done with undergraduate college at the time of typing this, and while I still think I have some writing talent, call it school fatigue if you'd like but the only thing I've learned about creativity in the modern age over the past three years is that it's not respected anymore. If that sounds like a horrible moral message, you can blame modern society becoming so "work first, fun second" and because I'm just naturally growing up for me thinking this way. Even my non-Pokémon ideas have barley gotten off the ground, leading me to think that maybe I should just stick with informative and/or scholarly writing instead. "What's the point of continuing free writing if I'm going to be a busy, stressed young adult?", I keep telling myself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)