XY UU Pokemon of the Week #2: Toxicroak

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Approved by the all holy master kokoloko
Kudos to TRC. for the structure, project summary paragraph, and idea

The XY UU Pokemon of the Week is an (obviously) weekly project in the Underused forum. The idea originated from when we were reading many of the discussion threads, often the discussion is a bit lacking in the content department. Our goal here to is to highlight a threat in the metagame that isn't as well known, or isn't used as much as it should be, and provide a concise amount of information about that Pokemon; this will encourage creativity during teambuilding, and it will also provide an instant wealth of knowledge about that particular threat. This will hopefully be more helpful to the massive influx of new players in the UU subforum and promote better discussion within the individual threads. In this thread though, the main point of discussion should be about experiences with that particular Pokemon and the sets featured, and how it has helped in some way during your battling. Niche sets and gimmicks can be mentioned as well, but bear in mind that this thread is mainly an informative source of knowledge through what is written in the OP; discussion is not its main focus, though it is most certainly allowed. We need to make this point clear. Think of this like an article introducing you to a new threat that you can use; and try it out! Oh yeah, you can also VM me what you think the next POTW should be, bearing in mind that they will be on lesser-used threats!

This week's Pokemon is the Toxic Mouth Pokemon, Toxicroak!

Type:
/

Base Stats: 83 HP / 106 Atk / 65 Def / 86 SpA / 65 SpD / 85 Spe
Abilities: Anticipation / Dry Skin / Poison Touch​
Introduction
Toxicroak took quite a fall with this generation with the weather nerf, even dropping to UU. This isn't necessarily bad though, as Toxicroak shines with access to the now buffed Gunk Shot and its ability, Dry Skin. Thanks to this, Toxicroak is one of the most reliable Fairy-type counters in UU, and on top of that, is the only Fighting-type that can hold its ground against them. Moreover, because of it's Water-type immunity, can easily switch into the bulky Water-types that plague the tier (bar Slowbro) and OHKO most of them with a +2 Gunk Shot.

What To Try:

Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Sucker Punch

Toxicroak's ability, Dry Skin, is solely the reason Toxicroak is so viable as of now. It can can easily pop in on an expected Scald, especially from the likes of Crocune, set up with Swords Dance, and use Gunk Shot against the switch-in, which can OHKO or 2HKO most of the tier at +2, including Shaymin and Mega Blastoise after Stealth Rock damage. Drain Punch is used for STAB, obviously, and has the bonus of healing Toxicroak and making it harder to wear down. Common leads, notably Mienshao, takes heavy damage from Drain Punch, as with Umbreon, Snorlax, and Mega Absol. After a Swords Dance boost, Sucker Punch becomes a scary priority move that can be used to pick off fast and frail pokemon that seek to Revenge Kill Toxicroak. A Jolly nature is used to outspeed Adamant Heracross and Timid Chandelure, and then KO with the right coverage move. The EVs are similar to that of most Physical Attackers in that it maximizes the Attack and Speed stats. The item, Black Sludge, is for longevity purposes.

Other Options:
Toxicroak has a nice movepool to choose from, though the most prominent one that sticks out (and is not mentioned in the main set) is Knock Off. Knock can be used to deal with slow Pyschic-types, such as defensive Mew and Celebi, though the overall power from Sucker Punch outclasses it. Bulk up is another set up move that can be used over Swords Dance, and the EVs can can be moved over to a more bulky spread, but you lose out on the sheer power +2 attacks bring to the table.

Life Orb can be used in conjunction with an Adamant Nature for extra power, but loses out on precious recovery.

A Payapa Berry can be used as an effective way to deal with Slowbro, as you can use SD on the switch and on the incoming Psychic.

Teammates:
  • Pokemon who can deal with Psychic-types
  • Stealth Rock support is necessary to OHKO certain Pokemon like Mega-Blastoise
  • Mega-Houndoom, who is usually troubled by Florges, and can also take on Psychic-types

Checks & Counters:
  • Hippowdon
  • Slowbro
  • Crobat
  • Nidoking
  • Bulky Water / Ground types
  • Mega-Aggron
  • Mega Manectric
  • Mega Houndoom
  • Sableye
  • Bulky Arcanine

Last edited:
Personally, I use an Adamant nature with Life Orb, and I find that the power is really helpful, because Toxicroak can miss out on a lot of KOs otherwise. It has less longevity, but it's also much harder to stop.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Darmanitan: 348-411 (99.1 - 117%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Nidoking: 268-316 (88.1 - 103.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Crobat: 260-307 (69.5 - 82%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Noivern: 260-307 (83.6 - 98.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Sucker Punch vs. 160 HP / 0 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 248-292 (72.7 - 85.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mew: 339-399 (83.9 - 98.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
2 252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mew: 484-569 (119.8 - 140.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Toxicroak Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rotom-H: 143-169 (59.3 - 70.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rotom-H: 204-240 (84.6 - 99.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Flygon: 260-307 (86.3 - 101.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

I really like Toxicroak in this meta as a way to take advantage of the common bulky waters that can't hurt it that much like Mega Blastoise and Suicune.

Checks and Counters can be expanded, though, with stuff like Swampert, QUAGSIRE (its biggest counter), Mega Aggron (Because +2 Adamant Life Orb Drain Punch doesn't OHKO and Earthquake pretty much does), Bulkanine, Gastrodon, Mega Manectric, Sableye, as well as faster Pokemon that don't mind Sucker Punch like Houndoom.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I love croaker right now it's such a good anti-meta mon. checking megablaster, mienshao, heracross, sharpedo, and countering suicune all in one pokemon--which happens to be a really threatening set up sweeper with priority, recovery, and a really strong STAB--is really good.

atm I'm using payapa berry on it as a means of beating Slowbro by swords dancing on the switch, then swords dancing again on the psyshock, and proceeding to OHKO with gunk shot :]

edit: i lied it does 95 min to 112 max, so its not a guaranteed OHKO, sue me lol

Last edited:

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Adamant+LO=Good
Yeah, I understand that you gets tons of power from Adamat+LO, but you loose out on the ability to reliably check Mega Blastoise and stop it from Spinning, as with other things, like coming in on resists (which take a chunk out of Croak cuz it's frail af) and healing the damage off when setting up is just too good to give up. I'll add it to OO though, because, as you said, it gives Croak a larger offensive presense :P

I love croaker right now it's such a good anti-meta mon. checking megablaster, mienshao, heracross, sharpedo, and countering suicune all in one pokemon--which happens to be a really threatening set up sweeper with priority, recovery, and a really strong STAB--is really good.

atm I'm using payapa berry on it as a means of beating Slowbro by swords dancing on the switch, then swords dancing again on the psyshock, and proceeding to OHKO with gunk shot :]

edit: i lied it does 95 min to 112 max, so its not a guaranteed OHKO, sue me lol
Never tried it before, but +4 Gunk Shot seems like a monster. I'll add it to OO if ya don't mind.

Reactions: rs
I've seen a Nasty Plot set used effectively, I believe user pokeaimmd used it in one of his videos. It has access to Sludge Wave, Vacuum Wave, Dark Pulse, Icy Wind and Focus Blast as usable offensive moves. I haven't tested it myself though :\

Ok, definite bias here, but I really love Croaker. Even on the merit of a physical sweeper capable of consistently taking on bulky Waters makes it amazing to me, given that Scald is the most disgusting move on the planet. Additional resistances to Bug-, Dark-, Fighting-, and Grass-type attacks are really cool as well, with the ability to break stuff like Florges without significant prior damage is just a bonus (though I wouldn't go as far as to call it a 'counter', given it's still neutral to Fairy x_x It just doesn't get forced out by it, which is also really chill). This, at least to me, gives it a lot of value to heavy offense teams, especially those with a stronger physical orientation, given that they typically struggle to provide consistent switch-ins to bulky Water-types, especially more offensively capable ones like M-Blastoise.

As with Swamp Link, I would hesitate to consider Jolly w/Sludge to be the most optimal option, as not only is the drop in power quite significant, but the benchmarks mentioned simply strike me as odd. At worst, Adamant Croaker speed ties Hera, and with Adamant LO it has a reasonable (81.3%) chance to OHKO minimally invested Hera after SR w/out an SD under its belt, and Chandelure is either getting hit by the priority Sucker Punch or risking that it fails to KO w/Gunk Shot after SR given your spread (68.8% chance, 48.2% when factoring the miss rate). Also, I have yet to encounter a Timid M-Blastoise, and I would imagine that for the sake of preventing a spin it would be better to have the extra power to threaten an OHKO on max HP variants at +2 (guaranteed w/SR on non-LO Croaker, unconditional w/it), but perhaps I'm playing the wrong people x_x

Anywho, I hadn't actually considered Papaya, possibly b/c I tend to avoid relying so heavily on something as accurate as Gunk Shot for such a thing, but it definitely sounds like a cool af option, given just how much can do work with Slowbro dispatched. As far as partners go, I tend to play Croaker as a breaker, rather than a win condition in and of itself (though obviously situations change), so I tend to pair it off with 'mons that can effectively clean up, particularly ones that take advantage of well-regulated / weakened bulky Waters on the opponent's end. Stuff like Scarf Darmanitan, LO Weavile, M-Absol, and M-Aero (among assorted others) all do tons of work with Croaker backing them offensively, since their nice Speed tiers and high-powered attacks allow them to clean so nicely afterwords. Weavile and M-Absol can even follow-up relevant Psychic-types w/Pursuit for Croaker if need be, and that possibility can occasionally deter them from throwing Psychics at Croaker outright, allowing it to play more aggressively. I've tinkered with bulkier spreads with Croaker a bunch, b/c the roles he'll usually serve on my teams lends itself to pressuring defensive 'mon in a manner that benefits the ability to set up more conservatively, and while I'll say that LO @ Adamant is the most consistent, there's something to be said for bulkier variations. For reference, I was running a spread of 120 HP / 176 Atk / 28 Def / 40 SpD / 144 Spe w/an Adamant nature and Black Sludge; this yield a Black Sludge #, a jump point in Attack, and allows it to outpace Adamant Honchkrow while avoiding the 2HKO from Adamant Heracross' CC / Megahorn after SR and uninvested Florges' Moonblast, among other things. It does benefit Croaker in match-ups with a fair sum of defensively-inclined or bulky offensive teams, but the loss it power shows vs.builds w/Slowbro and more offensively-inclined teams (especially with Sucker Punch damage in the case of the latter).

All things considered, Croaker is an animal imo.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I love Toxicroak in RU Beta and I have used it a bit in UU as well. It's quite effective, but this is the set I run on it:

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly / Adamant
- Swords Dance
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch / Ice Punch​

Life Orb is the better item on Croaker imo since you have Drain Punch to keep in good health. The set is nothing new, but I do like Jolly to ensure that you will Speed tie Heracross unless it's Scarf. Either way, Adamant is certainly viable for that power boost and Sucker Punch allows this to be quite the useful option. That said, running Jolly can allow you to run Ice Punch if you want since Hippowdon is walling you to hell and back otherwise. (still kinda is, but you're doing something solid to it) That said, I'm a little surprised rain support hasn't been brought up with Croaker.
Toxicroak is an amazing addition to any rain team and can also be quite the pain if your rain team lacks a Hurricane user capable of handling a +2 hit from Croaker. Dry Skin gives it constant healing, only furthering the viability of Life Orb since you take, like 4% net recoil in rain. There's plenty of rain setters that can work with Toxicroak as well. Uxie, Liepard, Tornadus-I, and Kingdra just to name a few. It's a solid switch-in for many of the Grass-types and it can easily come in on most bulky Water-types. In particular, a core of Toxicroak + Kingdra in rain can do some real work. Kingdra's only true counter in rain is Empoleon, a Pokemon that has nothing it can really do to Toxicroak without giving up the bulk it needs to check Kingdra. Outside of this, Kingdra also beats most physical walls with its powerful STAB rain-boosted Hydro Pumps so Toxicroak can set up a sweep. On the flip side, Toxicroak is able to demolish Florges and bulky Grass-types that can either tank a Water-type move from Kingdra, or force it to use Draco Meteor sooner than it wants. This means that the opponent will be hard pressed to stop an offensive core of Toxicroak + Kingdra under rain since one can easily be used to help the other sweep, depending on the matchup.

Whether it be in rain or out of rain, Toxicroak is a really cool Pokemon. Although I really don't want it to leave RU any time soon, it does deserve some love in UU.

Toxicroak used to be my main mascot back in the DPP UU. Though im curious now if the Bulky Sub Punch Set still works in this UU metagame? I havent tested it yet, but I want to.

Toxicroak @ Blacksludge
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
Nature: Adamant
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Gunk Shot/Ice punch

Also is there a reason to use Ice punch anymore in this metagame even on the SD set? It's biggest counter gligar is not used very often.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)