Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Japanese trailer showed Exeggcute evolving into Alolan Exeggutor. It looked like ordinary Exeggcute to me.

Serebii
Sunabaa is a grudge that dwells inside a pile of sand turns into a Pokemon. Truly a terrifying creature
Shirodesuna steals the life force from other Pokemon. Those Pokemon's grudges turn into a new Sunaba. We'll bring more as it comes
Sounds very creepy.

I just realized, we haven't seen Alolan Cubone/Exeggcute, which is somewhat odd, considering they've shown us Alolan Sandshrew and Vulpix.
This means one of two things:
A: Cubone and Exeggcute don't have Alolan forms, which seems unlikely, as it means you'd probably be able to catch wild Exeggutor (and Marowak, which isn't too odd), or Alolan forms would be triggered by some means other than just catching the pokemon in a specific location (evolving there could work, although I'm skeptical of that because we've seen Alolan Vulpix evolve into Alolan Ninetails.)
B: For some reason they don't want to show us Cubone and Exeggcute (Which seems more likely, although odd considering the reveal of Vulpix and Sandshrew along with their evos).

Just food for thought

If I recall correctly, Exeggcute was actually shown evolving into Alolan Exeggutor, and it looked like a regular Exeggcute. Maybe some of the forms will change radically only after evolving in the environment, while others had to adapt since the beginning. Or maybe some base 'mon has just minor changes before evolving, like Arbok different regional patterns.

Last edited:

Tory

Banned deucer.
If I recall correctly, Exeggcute was actually shown evolving into Alolan Exeggutor, and it looked like a regular Exeggcute. Maybe some of the forms will change radically only after evolving in the environment, while others had to adapt since the beginning. Or maybe some base 'mon have just minor changes before evolving, like Arbok different regional patterns.
About original Exeggcute evolving into Alolan Exeggutor, l wouldn't count that since there still in beta. Same thing with the random Salamence and Garchomp in the wild.

Reactions: JES
Well, Exeggutor's Alolan form is most likely a reference to the pokedex saying that Exeggutor is originally from the tropics, and it's head grows bigger because of exposure to strong sunlight. In fact, Alolan form Exeggutor is probably what it originally looks like (and Alolan Exeggutor does resemble concept art of Exeggutor from way back in gen 1.) So it makes sense that Exeggcute doesn't have have Alolan form.

About original Exeggcute evolving into Alolan Exeggutor, l wouldn't count that since there still in beta. Same thing with the random Salamence and Garchomp in the wild.
Sounds odd, since in the same trailer Alolan Vulpix and Sandshrew were shown. They could have just avoided Exeggcute, instead we could see it without any presentation as a new forme. Since Alolan Exeggutor is based on the concept

Well, Exeggutor's Alolan form is most likely a reference to the pokedex saying that Exeggutor is originally from the tropics, and it's head grows bigger because of exposure to strong sunlight. In fact, Alolan form Exeggutor is probably what it originally looks like (and Alolan Exeggutor does resemble concept art of Exeggutor from way back in gen 1.) So it makes sense that Exeggcute doesn't have have Alolan form.
Copy that. If anything, they could've just added the weird green tail-face to the group of eggs to make an "Alola form", but it really wasn't necessary.

Reactions: JES
Calling it now: Aloan Gyarados will be Water/Dragon with Attack and Special Attack reversed.
Since we haven't seen any Mega pokemon but we have seen Gen 1 pokemon that don't M-Evo get Alola forms, my own personal take on it is that only the Gen 1 pokemon that don't M-Evo will be candidates for Alola forms, and likely only those that didn't have any Gen 4 evos added as well. Also, those that we've seen (and the supposed dark Raticate) are 2 stage evolutionary lines - is there anything to take from this or is it just coincidence so far?

If they are going to mirror the version exclusives that means we could well be looking at Alola forms for Growlithe, Ekans. Mankey. If they get them all we may also see Alola Bellsprout and Oddish forms too.

On a related note - DARK MEOWTH, I CHOOSE YOU!

Since we haven't seen any Mega pokemon but we have seen Gen 1 pokemon that don't M-Evo get Alola forms, my own personal take on it is that only the Gen 1 pokemon that don't M-Evo will be candidates for Alola forms, and likely only those that didn't have any Gen 4 evos added as well. Also, those that we've seen (and the supposed dark Raticate) are 2 stage evolutionary lines - is there anything to take from this or is it just coincidence so far?

If they are going to mirror the version exclusives that means we could well be looking at Alola forms for Growlithe, Ekans. Mankey. If they get them all we may also see Alola Bellsprout and Oddish forms too.

On a related note - DARK MEOWTH, I CHOOSE YOU!
It was meant more as a joke than anything else.

Then again, do they really need to change Gyarados that much, to the point where you'd have to suspend belief for him to Mega Evolve?

Little bit of speculation here. One interesting part of several of the prominent leaks with some serious credibility behind them is the cat that gets a different secondary typing when it is bred with another pokemon.

This prompted me to do a little investigation into possible types for it to get.

Since all cat pokemon are in the field egg group (one exception being Delcatty, who is in Fairy & Field) we can safely assume this one will be as well. So going by the likelihood of it being in the Field egg group, and guessing that pokemon with 2 typing's will only pass down their primary one to save confusion, this is the list of possible combinations:

Normal/Poison
Normal/Electric
Normal/Ground
Normal/Fire
Normal/Water
Normal/Fighting
Normal/Psychic
Normal/Dark
Normal/Fairy
Normal/Grass
Normal/Ice
Normal/Steel

The impossible combinations are:

Normal/Rock
Normal/Dragon
Normal/Ghost (Nooooooo!)
Normal/Bug
Normal/Flying

So this little kitty would give us the so far un-used combinations of Normal+Poison/Dark/Ice/Steel.

Last edited:
I just realized, we haven't seen Alolan Cubone/Exeggcute, which is somewhat odd, considering they've shown us Alolan Sandshrew and Vulpix.
This means one of two things:
A: Cubone and Exeggcute don't have Alolan forms, which seems unlikely, as it means you'd probably be able to catch wild Exeggutor (and Marowak, which isn't too odd), or Alolan forms would be triggered by some means other than just catching the pokemon in a specific location (evolving there could work, although I'm skeptical of that because we've seen Alolan Vulpix evolve into Alolan Ninetails.)
B: For some reason they don't want to show us Cubone and Exeggcute (Which seems more likely, although odd considering the reveal of Vulpix and Sandshrew along with their evos).

Just food for thought
Could just be as simple as standard Exeggcute evolving into Alola Exeggutor if it has the + symbol. It still looks a lot like alola Exeggutor too.

Although I'd bet that Cubone has an alola form because the color palate change is so drastic, from brown and white to very dark shades of blue/green.

Any idea what that text is? This would be even better if it was a Japanese text related to Alola. That does look like the GameFreak hotel in game iirc

Yeah, that's why both Mega Charizard, Talonflame, Dragonite, Mega Pinsir, Volcanion, and Zapdos never see the light of day. Oh, and it gets even worse with things like Ho-Oh and Mega Salamence, just terrible, terrible 'mons.
If you think any of these alola forms will have insane BST changes and as if any abilities these guys have are groundbreaking and worth anything then you're incredibly mislead, the opportunity costs for those Pokemon are actually quite high if you can't 6-0 their entire team and there is a bloody reason Char-Y needs a dedicated team or why Talonflame is being used primarily on bulkier teams with a consistent spinner. Don't play the sarcasm game when you clearly know what I mean.

My bad!
Easy to miss something when you are running your eyes down a list at un-holy-o-clock :P.

Changed. Good to see I was wrong, was beginning to worry most of the new combos were restricted.
Since most of the dog Pokémon are also in the Field egg group you can also assume that Rockruff is in the Field group.

So there's our Normal/Rock typing.

Since most of the dog Pokémon are also in the Field egg group you can also assume that Rockruff is in the Field group.

So there's our Normal/Rock typing.
It is virtually guaranteed since it's not just dogs, but any* mammalian Pokémon ends up in the Field group. It's why Skitty and Wailord are a thing.

*with the obvious exceptions of Legendary Pokémon.

The more I look at it, the more I love the Sand Castle. I think it just snatched the Ghost slot for my first run team from Mimikyu. Really hoping it gets Arena Trap for it's ability!

Alolan Marowak is also pretty cool. I like it that Ghosts types are getting more love this Gen, but it would be really nice if they introduced better attacks for them too, cause the ones we have right now aren't cutting it tbh.

They've revealed 5 Ghosts now including Lunala (but excluding Marowak -and possibly Cubone- since that's not a new species), and that kinda gives us a chance for 1 more undiscovered line at most, if the last 2 Gens are anything to go by in terms of numbers (9 in total for Gen V and 8 for Gen VI). A 3-stage line would be perfect since the last 2 Gens also got one of those. If this is it for them I'll be really pissed, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)