Unpopular opinions

Imagine if they made a super minimalist, GB-Color battle simulator for Home?

Also, I keep forgetting that dumpster fire has a mobile and a Switch version with mutually exclusive features.

What a mess. :pikuh:
I'm trying to use Game Freak logic (as in "no logic") and they may have expected you to use the mobile Home app at the same time you are playing the game, so that you can keep playing while you traded, circumventing the Switch's inability to have more than one app open at the same time.

But, as I said, "no logic".

I'm trying to use Game Freak logic (as in "no logic") and they may have expected you to use the mobile Home app at the same time you are playing the game, so that you can keep playing while you traded.

Anyways, why lock various normal features to the phone version and not the switch version, like, why did game freak make a whole app and stuff while it was basic features that should be on the switch.

Once again, no-one will understand game freak.

Anyways, why lock various normal features to the phone version and not the switch version, like, why did game freak make a whole app and stuff while it was basic features that should be on the switch.

Once again, no-one will understand game freak.
Exactly. It's one thing for the Mobile App to not have everything, but things exclusive to the Mobile App?

Game Freak has vapor for brains.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Imagine if they made a super minimalist, GB-Color battle simulator for Home?
Imagine if they also had alternate Pokemon battling styles like the Battle Frontier & Battle Revolution.
Imagine if they had (Super) Pokemon Contest, Pokeathlon, & Musicals (don't know if they would do Pokestar Studios).
Imagine they had a Poke Pelago.
Image if they had a Pokemon-Amie/Refresh/Camp.

GF could so SO many things that wouldn't take them much extra work as they would have the assets ready and would make the fans not only happy but people want to purchase mobile HOME's premium version!

First a paid service.
Me: Oh, it's nothing, you don't need it other to play splatoon and get a silly little virtual console.
YOU NEED ONLINE TO ACCESS POKEMON
Me:
Remember when Transfers between generations was not only free but could be done game-to-game.

I'm trying to use Game Freak logic (as in "no logic") and they may have expected you to use the mobile Home app at the same time you are playing the game, so that you can keep playing while you traded.

Except to do the transfers you need to have your game off. Unless you're expecting the trade to take a while or don't plan of retrieving the trade asap you'll likely have the game off until the trade is done.

Why do we have to pay for a membership to play pokemon online then have to pay more money for another overpriced membership to do what the last one could do, but less.

AND YOU CAN't DO ANYTHING OTHER THAN THAT EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE THE ASSESTS!

Game freak: You're hired.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Why do we have to pay for a membership to play pokemon online then have to pay more money for another overpriced membership to do what the last one could do, but less.

AND YOU CAN't DO ANYTHING OTHER THAN THAT EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE THE ASSESTS!

Game freak: You're hired.
No, you have to type all this out in Japanese (and speak it fluently), then you can pretend GF will hire you.

didls

formerly Besom
Pokémon fans always overlook Chikorita's favorable matchups against the last 4 gyms and it drives me NUTS, I can't believe the amount of people on the sim that just cannot comprehend that picking Chikorita doesn't make your fucking cartridge explode.

Meganium's bulk is largely what allows it to perform well mid- and late-game. It beats Jasmine's Steelix (and her Magnemite despite the type resistance). Chuck's Primeape gets beaten by Meganium as well, and his Poliwrath is weak to Petal Dance. Meganium's bulk also allows it to take Ice-type attacks from Pryce's Dewgong and Piloswine and hits all three of his Pokémon for super effective damage with Petal Dance. Finally, Meganium beats Clair's Gyarados and can stall out Clair's Kingdra, even its powerful Hyper Beam, due to its good bulk. Not to mention Grass is an amazing type in Kanto, as usual.

And Meganium isn't just bulky, either. It has a perfectly decent 82/83 offensive stats that allows it to hit relatively hard with STAB Petal Dance and make good dents with other physical or special coverage moves.

The only reason Chikorita is considered to be the worst starter (not just in Johto, but across the entire series) is only because of the disregard for status moves in casual playthroughs and its unfavorable matchup against the first two gyms (even though Charmander has the same issue... but are we ready for that conversation?).

Pokémon fans always overlook Chikorita's favorable matchups against the last 4 gyms and it drives me NUTS, I can't believe the amount of people on the sim that just cannot comprehend that picking Chikorita doesn't make your fucking cartridge explode.

Meganium's bulk is largely what allows it to perform well mid- and late-game. It beats Jasmine's Steelix (and her Magnemite despite the type resistance). Chuck's Primeape gets beaten by Meganium as well, and his Poliwrath is weak to Petal Dance. Meganium's bulk also allows it to take Ice-type attacks from Pryce's Dewgong and Piloswine and hits all three of his Pokémon for super effective damage with Petal Dance. Finally, Meganium beats Clair's Gyarados and can stall out Clair's Kingdra, even its powerful Hyper Beam, due to its good bulk. Not to mention Grass is an amazing type in Kanto, as usual.

And Meganium isn't just bulky, either. It has a perfectly decent 82/83 offensive stats that allows it to hit relatively hard with STAB Petal Dance and make good dents with other physical or special coverage moves.

The only reason Chikorita is considered to be the worst starter (not just in Johto, but across the entire series) is only because of the disregard for status moves in casual playthroughs and its unfavorable matchup against the first two gyms (even though Charmander has the same issue... but are we ready for that conversation?).
Corollary: We get it, you hate Chikorita. It's not cool anymore, it's just all edge and no point. Shut up.

It does take a long to get it's final evolution ( which is why i pick totodile) and, it doesn't fare well against the early gym. The reason why people pick charmander is because it's iconic, and charizard is flying type and learns a lot of dragon moves, but most sane people still pick bulbasaur and squirtle. Also, having a really un intresting design hurts it too, and a sub-par moveset, becuase status moves are good along with moves that don't have a recoil effect, unlike petal dance. Also, theres just better grass types everywhere, especially in HGSS, like tangrowth. I know you want to be quirky and edgy, but it;s not really needed. Just pick totdile for a final evo early on or cyndaquill for a actual good stats and a favorable moveset. Straight bulk isn't better than a balance.

Edit: Unpopular opinions is a place where you can have a conversation on a topic, not just something like this where it's really easy and stuff.

Edit 2: Maybe chickorita IS good in the originals, but just choose something different in HGSS.

Last edited:
Charmander only has issues with Misty's Gym. Brock, while not a walk in the park, is no issue anyways as there are no Rock-type moves on his team. The remakes don't change much as, while Brock's Onix does have a Rock-type move, Charmander gets super-effective coverage by that point.

And while I agree that Chikorita's line gets too much dislike, it's still unquestionable that it gets the worst early gym matchups among all starters. Falkner and Bugsy have super-effective STABs (and two thirds of Bugsy's team has a Grass resistance), and Morty's entire team resists Grass.

People actually dunk like that on GSC Chikorita tho.

Sure, it's way better than advertised, but GSC Chikorita is really not that good. I definitely understand why people would take a dump on HGSS Chikorita too, but at least that one ain't using Razor Leaf for STAB forever.

As for Charmander... I'm more than ready to have that discussion.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...ame-tiers-reboot.3666304/page-10#post-8597607

Corollary: We get it, you hate Chikorita. It's not cool anymore, it's just all edge and no point. Shut up.
Uhhhhhh, that post defended Chikorita tho. What are you talking about? lmao.

It does take a long to get it's final evolution ( which is why i pick totodile) and, it doesn't fare well against the early gym.
Bayleef evolves at Lv. 32. Literally 2 levels after Croconaw.

The reason why people pick charmander is because it's iconic, and charizard is flying type and learns a lot of dragon moves,
Charizard, at least in RBY learned the grand total of the one Dragon move it had, and it was Dragon Rage. Via TM. lol no.

People diss Zard for the Flying type too. Remember the "Not a Dragon" jokes?

Honestly, I kinda see the appeal of a dragon-looking lizard, even though it has a dad bod that'd make Chairman Rose look like he got a 6-pack and noodle arms.

Charmander only has issues with Misty's Gym. Brock, while not a walk in the park, is no issue anyways as there are no Rock-type moves on his team. The remakes don't change much as, while Brock's Onix does have a Rock-type move, Charmander gets super-effective coverage by that point.
Charmander is outright the worst starter against Brock. Sure, he can't beat you because that horrid AI is going to make it a luck-based battle. Don't act like resisted Ember off Charmander is anything less than an 8HKO. Even Vine Whip-less Bulbasaur is going to do better because Leech Seed is a win condition in a war of attrition.

FRLG Charmander vs Brock is straight-up embarrassing too. Pull up with Metal Claw thinking you're gonna do a ton of damage against Onix's ridic Base Defense. Reality will come crashing down like a Rock Tomb when that lizard goes splat. There's a reason they kept Mankey and Double Kick Nidoran before Brock.

And while I agree that Chikorita's line gets too much dislike, it's still unquestionable that it gets the worst early gym matchups among all starters. Falkner and Bugsy have super-effective STABs (and two thirds of Bugsy's team has a Grass resistance), and Morty's entire team resists Grass.
Yeah, the early fights are the ones that really decide your starter, and thats why i never pick the dumb lizard cause he actually sucks. #SQUIRTLEGANG

Sure, it's way better than advertised, but GSC Chikorita is really not that good. I definitely understand why people would take a dump on HGSS Chikorita too, but at least that one ain't using Razor Leaf for STAB forever.

As for Charmander... I'm more than ready to have that discussion.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...ame-tiers-reboot.3666304/page-10#post-8597607

Bayleef evolves at Lv. 32. Literally 2 levels after Croconaw.

Charizard, at least in RBY learned the grand total of the one Dragon move it had, and it was Dragon Rage. Via TM. lol no.

People diss Zard for the Flying type too. Remember the "Not a Dragon" jokes?

Honestly, I kinda see the appeal of a dragon-looking lizard, even though it has a dad bod that'd make Chairman Rose look like he got a 6-pack and noodle arms.

Charmander is outright the worst starter against Brock. Sure, he can't beat you because that horrid AI is going to make it a luck-based battle. Don't act like resisted Ember off Charmander is anything less than an 8HKO. Even Vine Whip-less Bulbasaur is going to do better because Leech Seed is a win condition in a war of attrition.

FRLG Charmander vs Brock is straight-up embarrassing too. Pull up with Metal Claw thinking you're gonna do a ton of damage against Onix's ridic Base Defense. Reality will come crashing down like a Rock Tomb when that lizard goes splat. There's a reason they kept Mankey and Double Kick Nidoran before Brock.
Thought it was 36, but I always mis remember stuff, and maybe I'm thinking about zard's new moveset, but zard does get some pretty good dragon moves in lets go and maybe FRLG ( can't be bothered to read the moveset ) and yes, people really like dunking on chikorita, but there is a reason, because it just really is outshined by the other guys.

Last edited:
Did you say someone picking chikorita is edgy? Aint that one of most soft feminine starters lol

Chikorita is fine, not super good, just fine, you just need to use them as a team member/defensive tank, while most starters in game are offensive and able to solo.
If you want to use the defense capabilities, shes a decent choice, just not going to be the main team player, which is what people want from starters

Did you say someone picking chikorita is edgy? Aint that one of most soft feminine starters lol
No, I am asking the fandom to knock it off with the "Chikorita is the worst starter evar!!!!!oneeleven" bullcrap.

Hell, I'd go so far as to assert that the Chikorita hate is in part because it's so feminine-looking.

The forums ate half of this post so: charmander sucks ass vs brock and if you dont get a mankey in a nuzlocke youre just either ovelevelling or dead.

There's a reason they kept Mankey and Double Kick Nidoran before Brock.
They didnt keep nidoran actually, its only catchable on route 3

No, I am asking the fandom to knock it off with the "Chikorita is the worst starter evar!!!!!oneeleven" bullcrap.
Oh i was talking to bloomer lol, didnt expect you to reply when i posted

Chikorita is fine, not super good, just fine, you just need to use them as a team member/defensive tank, while most starters in game are offensive and able to solo.
If you want to use the defense capabilities, shes a decent choice, just not going to be the main team player, which is what people want from starters
I was saying edgy in " Oh, I'm sooo quirky, I chose chickorita, " and yeah, there is a geat replacment to it in tangrowth in HGSS because it fills basically the same rle, and I think theres some other good stuff in the original things, so it's pretty uneeded.

Last edited:

Hell, I'd go so far as to assert that the Chikorita hate is in part because it's so feminine-looking.
people screech alot when this happen sbecause there's people who wnat to be so "off" and "quirky" and then us monkeys screech at eachother because we're all really dumb and can't agree to let anything go. Maybe the people who don't like ita re being like uhh the racisim for genders idk forgot the word

edit: It;s dumb how we're yelling like rabid animals about how one plant thing is better than this lizard thing or this whatever a jig. maybe starter conversations should go like. 'Hey, infernape is the best since it can outpseed almost everythign and can kill teh gyms easy " instead of " LIZARD GOOD YOUR PICK BAD BECAUSE YOURMST EDGE "

I was saying edgy in " Oh, I'm sooo quirky, I chose chickorita, " and yeah, there is a geat replacment to it in tangrowth in HGSS because it fills basically the same rle, and I think theres some other good stuff in the original things, so it's pretty uneeded.
people screech alot when this happen sbecause there's people who wnat to be so "off" and "quirky" and then us monkeys screech at eachother because we're all really dumb and can't agree to let anything go. Maybe the people who don't like ita re being like uhh the racisim for genders idk forgot the word

edit: It;s dumb how we're yelling like rabid animals about how one plant thing is better than this lizard thing or this whatever a jig. maybe starter conversations should go like. 'Hey, infernape is the best since it can outpseed almost everythign and can kill teh gyms easy " instead of " LIZARD GOOD YOUR PICK BAD BECAUSE YOURMST EDGE "
You can reply to more than one post at a time, cousin. There's no need to keep double posting.

I was saying edgy in " Oh, I'm sooo quirky, I chose chickorita, " and yeah, there is a geat replacment to it in tangrowth in HGSS because it fills basically the same rle, and I think theres some other good stuff in the original things.
The original doesnt have any good grass types as most of them are stone only in which the way to get stones in these games is stupid. Tangrowth is a fine choice but tangela is super spdef frail and super slow which means it dies to almost any special attacker, while bayleef is tankier on that while still having decent physical bulk. Tangrowth still is awful spdef wise and slow so its only useful vs physical attackers, while meganium can handle them decently and is faster.

They both have a similar niche but in game i think bayleef is better as an overall defensive tank while tangrowth is better as a physical attacker and physical tank. Either is fine, theyre both usable

:pikuh:

That's the real reason Chikorita gets dunked on.

It's actually very good against some of the trickiest matchups in GSC, namely Whitney and Clair, but here's the thing. It's a support mon. A team player. You're not clicking Razor Leaf and watching things drop like flies on turn 1, you're clicking Reflect and setting up for a long battle most of the time.

In-Game, people value raw offensive power. This is why Totodile is the best Johto starter in-game.

GSC Chikorita gets its rep because it never gets a strong, drawback-free STAB and everything resists Grass in Johto with Poison-types everywhere.

It's... kind of the same problem Snivy has in BW, although it gets some breathing room due to resists not being so stacked through the game, and once it gets Coil, it can actually solo many more opponents than one would think in the second half of the game.

It's not that it can't work, but a one-click win is more popular.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 9)