Unpopular opinions

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Snivy is regarded as feminine probably due to the fact Ash had a female one, who also notably sounds feminine. Games reused that VA

For Chikorita, both probably due to voice, and flowers looking frillier compared to Venu's Raffelasia
What games? If you mean the main, no, Snivy's cry is digital sound effects like all the other Pokemon. The only Pokemon with a VA are Pikachu and Eevee.

To me Snivy all the way up to Serperior look pretty androgynous. The only parts of its design you could say looks feminine is it having a sleek body (which goes from a small chest to a bigger waist which is usually a feminine body type), the eyes (Snivy does look like it's giving you bedroom eyes in its default art; Servine still has similar eyes though Serperior loses them), and the patterns on Servine's and Serperior's head could look like a curly pixie cut. Guess I should also note one of the inspirations for the Snivy's family design was Lady Oscar from the anime The Rose of Versailles, a woman who dressed as a male soldier during the French Revolution. They did it mostly becuase they wanted a European/French-inspired design for the Snivy family, though the subtle feminine of the character could have likely influenced some design aspects as well.

Chikorita's femininity I would say has to do with the seeds around Chikoria's neck looking like a necklace and, though it becomes buds and a flower as it evolves, the idea of it looking like a necklace initially colors our perception keeping it looking like a necklace for its evolutions. It may also have to do with the eyes and the "pleasantness" of the face; the face is very simple and a smooth texture which is a trait people compare to beautiful faces, mostly women as men are allowed to have beards/facial stubble.

Unpopular opinion: We all know that gen 6 had the least pokemon, but I'm here to say it had some of the worst designs too. Take surpluff for example. It is a fat, weird, cotton candy thing that really isn't appealing to anyone, along with aromatise. I'm not trying to be a genwunner, but these new dsigns are kinda off. There is some gem like tyrantrum, but some pokemon like arourous feel really under designed and just weird sometimes, kinda like some other gen 1 designs. I say that gen 6 some of the worst designs, paired with the least designs, kinda making it a odd ball game in the series, when the pokemon you're catching don't really connect with you and don't look beautiful or feirce of super cool.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Unpopular opinion: We all know that gen 6 had the least pokemon, but I'm here to say it had some of the worst designs too. Take surpluff for example. It is a fat, weird, cotton candy thing that really isn't appealing to anyone, along with aromatise. I'm not trying to be a genwunner, but these new dsigns are kinda off. There is some gem like tyrantrum, but some pokemon like arourous feel really under designed and just weird sometimes, kinda like some other gen 1 designs. I say that gen 6 some of the worst designs, paired with the least designs, kinda making it a odd ball game in the series, when the pokemon you're catching don't really connect with you and don't look beautiful or feirce of super cool.
Could not disagree more. Even though gen VI is probably my least favourite gen, I think it has one of the best designed rosters of Pokemon by far. There's so many great designs - Aurorus is fantastical and slightly ethereal and looks like it stepped out of The Land Before Time; Helioptile is adorable and a quirky new take on the Electric type; Avalugg is gruff and stolid in a way few Ice-types manage to be. Hawlucha looks comical at first but has really grown on me over the years. Barbaracle is wonderfully weird-looking. Talonflame and Tyrantrum have two of the best shinies in the whole series. Goodra is a borderline hilarious new take on the pseudo-legendary concept. Vivillon is charmingly simplistic and the pixel art design on its wings is a neat little throwback to earlier gen gaming. Noivern's sleek and nimble appearance matches its statistical frailty and the earphone eyes... I mean ears... still catch me out to this day.

It's very rare that all three starters appeal to me equally; the Kalos starters are probably the only set of starters where this is the case. All three final evolutions are based on RPG archetypes: Chesnaught is a rugged knight, Delphox is a wicked mage, and Greninja is an elegant... well, ninja. They also all have excellent shiny forms. The three "cover legendaries" are all great in their own way, too. The first Fairy-type legendary could easily have been pink and swooshy which would have alienated half the fandom, but Xerneas is imposing and majestic and has a captivating design (it's striking that so soon after having four deer Pokemon in Gen V they managed to do a fifth that felt entirely fresh and different). Yveltal is striking and oddly chilling; it's one of the few legitimately scary legendary Pokemon. The fact that both Pokemon have the same stat spread is a subtle design choice I'm quite fond of. Also, the connection to the X and Y aspects of their design are subtle and not overplayed; other than both of them briefly striking a pose resembling the letters, it's not remarked upon much in-game.

Zygarde appeals to me for its design and its abilities, but also for its mystique. We all know it should have headlined its own game, but it never had the chance to. I badly want its story told properly one day (and yes I know the anime had a stab and the manga did it far better, but Zygarde deserves a game of its own). The Pokemaniacal blog has some very interesting thoughts (link below) on what role Zygarde could play in relation to Xerneas and Yveltal, and the scope of a potential "Z" version.

Meanwhile the three mythicals exude totally different characteristics: Volcanion is tough and dynamic, Hoopa is snide and crafty, and Diancie is sleek and beautiful. All three are brilliantly designed (and, having always wanted a Fire/Water type, I've always had a special fondness for Volcanion).

Even when it comes to the mons I'm not hugely into (like Slurpuff) I still think that they're pretty decent designs. Slurpuff is rather kooky but at least looks fairly strong; it's believable that it could pull off moves like Belly Drum.

The only design I really cannot stand from this gen is Diggersby; it looks incredibly ugly and cumbersome. But that's a pretty good ratio!

https://pokemaniacal.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F100352385501

Could not disagree more. Even though gen VI is probably my least favourite gen, I think it has one of the best designed rosters of Pokemon by far. There's so many great designs - Aurorus is fantastical and slightly ethereal and looks like it stepped out of The Land Before Time; Helioptile is adorable and a quirky new take on the Electric type; Avalugg is gruff and stolid in a way few Ice-types manage to be. Hawlucha looks comical at first but has really grown on me over the years. Barbaracle is wonderfully weird-looking. Talonflame and Tyrantrum have two of the best shinies in the whole series. Goodra is a borderline hilarious new take on the pseudo-legendary concept. Vivillon is charmingly simplistic and the pixel art design on its wings is a neat little throwback to earlier gen gaming. Noivern's sleek and nimble appearance matches its statistical frailty and the earphone eyes... I mean ears... still catch me out to this day.

It's very rare that all three starters appeal to me equally; the Kalos starters are probably the only set of starters where this is the case. All three final evolutions are based on RPG archetypes: Chesnaught is a rugged knight, Delphox is a wicked mage, and Greninja is an elegant... well, ninja. They also all have excellent shiny forms. The three "cover legendaries" are all great in their own way, too. The first Fairy-type legendary could easily have been pink and swooshy which would have alienated half the fandom, but Xerneas is imposing and majestic and has a captivating design (it's striking that so soon after having four deer Pokemon in Gen V they managed to do a fifth that felt entirely fresh and different). Yveltal is striking and oddly chilling; it's one of the few legitimately scary legendary Pokemon. The fact that both Pokemon have the same stat spread is a subtle design choice I'm quite fond of. Also, the connection to the X and Y aspects of their design are subtle and not overplayed; other than both of them briefly striking a pose resembling the letters, it's not remarked upon much in-game.

Zygarde appeals to me for its design and its abilities, but also for its mystique. We all know it should have headlined its own game, but it never had the chance to. I badly want its story told properly one day (and yes I know the anime had a stab and the manga did it far better, but Zygarde deserves a game of its own). The Pokemaniacal blog has some very interesting thoughts (link below) on what role Zygarde could play in relation to Xerneas and Yveltal, and the scope of a potential "Z" version.

Meanwhile the three mythicals exude totally different characteristics: Volcanion is tough and dynamic, Hoopa is snide and crafty, and Diancie is sleek and beautiful. All three are brilliantly designed (and, having always wanted a Fire/Water type, I've always had a special fondness for Volcanion).

Even when it comes to the mons I'm not hugely into (like Slurpuff) I still think that they're pretty decent designs. Slurpuff is rather kooky but at least looks fairly strong; it's believable that it could pull off moves like Belly Drum.

The only design I really cannot stand from this gen is Diggersby; it looks incredibly ugly and cumbersome. But that's a pretty good ratio!

https://pokemaniacal.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F100352385501
Yeah, you kinda changed my mind. There is a lot of beautiful designs, and I guess i was looking at the weaker designs, but i still wish that aurorus had something on it's massive negeative space like some other pokemon, like Yveatel, where on his massive wings they put this like really cool vain design, but i just really don't like large gaps with nothing breaking apart that negative space, but with everything else, you really changed my mind. i'll look at gen 6 and other games different now because of you. Thanks a lot duderoni.

Edit: Zygardes like hex design is really cool and a nice touch ngl, because it makes it look like super futuristic and artificial, so I would;ve personnaly liked it to be like a artificial mon like magnemite, where it was created as a weapon, but after escaping and gaing counsisness, it turned to tending to the ecosystem and protecting it with it's powers. Zyagrde was a dissapointment honestly.

Edit 2: Chesnaught isn't as bad as the mess that is quilladon, But he still looks disproportionate, and dopey with the small head that's super furry with the giant back and arms and legs that are a smooth, tannish color. Also, those red acents lining the body are just weird looking form a distance, \and don't really fit. Not saying any other colors than green should be on a grass type, but they don't fit with the pokemon fully in this case. other than that, there is a few duds here and there, but you helped me really understand all the other designs. Once again, thank you.

Edit 3: Remember when everyone just completely criticized this game with that same argument I said, word for word? People still do it today, and I don't get why people argue over a pokemon's design, since it's all opinion. Maybe the fanbase should stop like trying to brick road a game off, because we should just let people probably like what they like and not like the game in your head, but not share it with everyone and try to get people to not get it. Have someone see if they like the game by themself, and not force our opinions on them. r/showerthoughts.

Edit 4: No offense to you Typhlosion, I'm talking about the opinion. i don't want to say i was completely against it form the beginning, since I did post it, and you did nothing, I have no idea why I splartde out edit 3 randomly. Sorry if that really hurt you and painted a bad picture out of me.

Edit 5: Is there a Pikachu post coming rn?

Edit 6: Why did i have so many spelling mistakes?

Edit 7: WHY AM I MAKING SO MANY EDITS?

Last edited:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The early route rodents are almost always the one constant blemish in any generation's roster of Pokemon, imo. With the exception of Linoone and Furret who are at least cute, the rodents are all ugly abominations who I absolutely cannot stand the sight of, and not only that, with the exception of Diggersby itself and Linoone in competitive, the rodents are all complete trash battle wise. Furret itself is garbage in battle, and all of them are useless in game except as HM users outside of battle.

It is very difficult for me to dislike any Pokemon, and I at least like most Pokemon that exist, but the rodents barring Linoone are among the few Pokemon that I actively dislike. Most of them are an absolutely unpleasant sight to look at for me, especially Watchog, Diggersby, and Gumshoos.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Edit 3: Remember when everyone just completely criticized this game with that same argument I said, word for word? People still do it today, and I don't get why people argue over a pokemon's design, since it's all opinion. Maybe the fanbase should stop like trying to brick road a game off, because we should just let people probably like what they like and not like the game in your head, but not share it with everyone and try to get people to not get it. Have someone see if they like the game by themself, and not force our opinions on them. r/showerthoughts.

Edit 4: No offense to you Typhlosion, I'm talking about the opinion. i don't want to say i was completely against it form the beginning, since I did post it, and you did nothing, I have no idea why I splartde out edit 3 randomly. Sorry if that really hurt you and painted a bad picture out of me.
You're good, dw.

The early route rodents are almost always the one constant blemish in any generation's roster of Pokemon, imo. With the exception of Linoone and Furret who are at least cute, the rodents are all ugly abominations who I absolutely cannot stand the sight of, and not only that, with the exception of Diggersby itself and Linoone in competitive, the rodents are all complete trash battle wise. Furret itself is garbage in battle, and all of them are useless in game except as HM users outside of battle.

It is very difficult for me to dislike any Pokemon, and I at least like most Pokemon that exist, but the rodents barring Linoone are among the few Pokemon that I actively dislike. Most of them are an absolutely unpleasant sight to look at for me, especially Watchog, Diggersby, and Gumshoos.
See, it's funny because, like Mova said, I find it very hard to actively dislike any Pokemon, and I make it a policy to try out as many of the Pokemon as I can when I replay old games, so over the course of the series (pre-SwSh) I've used nearly all the Pokemon at one point or another. But there are a few designs I really can't bear and Diggersby is one.

The other rodents don't grate on me (though I'm not fond of Gumshoos purely for the Trump resemblance); even the uglier ones like Bibarel and Raticate have some appeal. But I truly cannot bring myself to like Diggersby, and it's one I don't think I'll ever use unless it's in some sort of Battle Factory environment. I even caught a very-nearly flawless Bunnelby on Pokemon Go and found myself irrationally pissed off for doing so.

I like Kingler's front sprite in Red/Blue.

1608464082490.png

Yes, I know that it is technically "wrong" since the claws are equally big here, while Kingler's official design and other sprites shows it with one claw being bigger than the other. But I actually like this better than Kingler's official design. Blue was also my first Pokémon game and this was the way I originally saw Kingler in the games, so this design has always felt more correct to me. In comparison to other crab-like Pokémon, I like Crawdaunt, Crustle and Crabominable better than Kingler since their claws/fists are equally big. But I think the concept of having one claw bigger than the other can work if they go all out and make something really cool with it. Like they did with Clawitzer, which I think is an awesome Pokémon and one of my top favorites from Gen 6. Kingler doesn't do either in its official design, but it does have equally big claws in its R/B sprite which is why I like it more there than in any other depiction of it even if this design is wrong.

I may be misremembering, but I remind Hau being always going how he wants to be as good as Hala, and he's convinced that "as long as he keeps having fun he'll be ok".
Until he finds out that's not how it works. (That mostly happens on USUM iirc)
This discussion might have happened forever ago but I don't care
Hau being always going how he wants to be as good as Hala
This does happen in both games
and he's convinced that "as long as he keeps having fun he'll be ok".
this on the other hand doesn't; Hau does mention that Hala taught him that as long as he had fun and didn't concern himself about things such as winning or losing he'd become strong before he realized it, but Hau questions this logic well before the plot about Lillie's kidnapping

On more recent unpopular opinions: I don't care about Peony and actively hate his daughter Peonia
also I like Calyrex design

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
On more recent unpopular opinions: I don't care about Peony and actively hate his daughter Peonia
Peony grew on me with his shenanigans but I can see how he may not have left an impact on others. I thought he was going to be more involved with things, but he's mainly background and half the time he's being used as a mouthpiece for Calyrex. He does one important thing, makes the Reigns of Union (also arguably find the cap of the statue), but otherwise you can probably write him out of the story (easy enough to replace anything Peony had involvement in with something else, like here's a scenario I just put together: After arriving to the train station you're told by an attendant about Freezington. You head up there, greeted by the mayor, and told about the statue. Upon examining the statue you see Calyrex you leads you to the Dynamax Adventure. After doing a Dynamax Adventure you find the cap of the statue. You put the cap back on the statue, the townsfolk are happy to see the statue complete again, and when everyone clears out Calyrex beckons you again but this time it's able to speak telepathically as people in town are praising it again. It tells you about the what happens, needs to get his mount, yada yada. Only difference here on is that the mayor is actually able to make the Reigns of Union).

Peonia however is completely forgettable and does seem like a jerk to her father on the surface. Now once you get to know the characters you know she just wants her space and Peony is a tad bit too smothering, and she apologizes for using you as a distraction, though after that the only thing she does is unlock a certain Legendaries Dynamax Adventure and give you the colored goggles... all of which could have been done with one of the scientists & doctors hanging around. At the very least she could also have additional dialogue about the Legendaries you capture like her father...

Gen 4 ruined my lore. :pikuh:
What lore?

Very unpopular opinion especially amongst longtime fans, but the original GSC were terrible. First to begin although I understand why the story is very limited you feel like you’re just picking up Red’s leftovers in terms of team rocket and even the champion. Leaving the story to feel extraordinarily underwhelming and have half delivered. Although I can appreciate some of the landmarks of the region the region itself has been a mistaken for having nonlinear because you can battle the gym leaders out of order when the gameplay gameplay is linear it just gives you a choice of several different linear paths. Which also allows the character to be able to “over over level” during standard gameplay meaning that you just powerhouse in your way through mons that are like 20 or 15 levels below you.

I’m surprised I’ve never heard anyone else complain about it I mean I’m sure someone has at some point but I’ve really haven’t heard anything and this also applies to the gen 4to remakes but the Pokémon choice is extremely extremely extremely limited until you unlock Kanto For example even a lot of the native Johto Pokémon you can’t in counter or in gen 4 remakes case cannot evolve many of those Pokémon. Which leaves casual team design feel very unfinished

compared to the modern games like sword and shield, yes GSC is a hard game, however looking back on the game and even the GEN four remakes The game is quite easy at least until you rematch the Elite 4 and obviously the battle with a red which I do have to give credit to the game for because instead of over leveling for almost Lv. 90 fight you have to design a unique game plan for it which I can really appreciate, but nevertheless the majority of the game is fairly underwhelming and disappointing cool for its time now I guess. And NO having 2 regions doesn’t make up for this.

And NO having 2 regions doesn’t make up for this.
Speaking of which...

Kanto is already overrated and frankly boring as a region in the games it takes center-stage. In GSC/HGSS?

It's a barren wasteland devoid of anything worth its salt. You take a boat, have a massive power trip stomping the likes of Janine, and then when you're done, you gotta grind on either the E4 or Mt. Silver on Lv. 40 wilds or Lv. 40-50 trainers to beat Red's Lv. 70+ mons.

Edit: Oh yeah, in HGSS is mid-80's for Red's mons. Lovely.

Matter of fact, HGSS in general is very, very overrated.

Last edited:
Usually this should be asked some mod, but since I am not quite certain whom to ask:
Is it allowed in this thread to discuss/critisize/disagree on the unpopular opinion? If so, I'll do it for the in my opinion undeserved Jotho bashing.

Anyways, my rather small unpopular opinion: Black/White 2 is superior to Black/White. I won't elude this statement further because this may or may not be popular after all and not fitting for this thread.

Usually this should be asked some mod, but since I am not quite certain whom to ask:
Is it allowed in this thread to discuss/critisize/disagree on the unpopular opinion? If so, I'll do it for the in my opinion undeserved Jotho bashing.
That's the entire point. Threads don't stay up long if they don't provide potential for discussion. And we are all about the back-and-forth here.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Yeah, go right ahead. As long as it's a fair, structured, and respectable discussion/criticism/disagreement you can use someone else's opinion as a springboard for your own. :blobthumbsup:

Anyways, my rather small unpopular opinion: Black/White 2 is superior to Black/White. I won't elude this statement further because this may or may not be popular after all and not fitting for this thread.
My opinion on BW2 is mixed as, to truly respect it, you kind of need to play the original BW. On one hand this is good or at least nice, if GF are going to release an "upgraded" version a sequel is, in my opinion, a WAY better way of doing it as it allows for more worldbuilding and character development especially if the games are a few years apart. On the other hand, it does kind of give people who didn't play BW a feeling they missed out on somethings thus may not get many references or importance of certain events. BW2 does its best to be a standalone game, you don't need to play BW to understand the story as it gives you the very basics of what happened in BW to understand BW2's story, but it won't let you in on all that happened so feels like you're missing half the story... which you are.

Of course, my above discussion is about the games' story, if you're talking about feature then yes, BW2 certainly has more features than BW which is its shining point. Pokemon World Tournament, PokeStar Studios, Join Avenue, a whole batch of new locations and expansions on older locations, and an expanded Pokedex which includes a handful of Legendaries. And if you did play BW (and at this point a second DS) you can unlock special cutscenes of events with important NPCS that happened between the games which sort of explain how things got to be, and one such cutscene lets you catch certain special Pokemon that had belonged to N (pretty much all the Pokemon he battled you with in BW except his League team but includes the Darmanitan, Woobat, and Zorua we saw with him as a kid in the BW intro) which come with their own special sparkle effect like a Shiny Pokemon.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Delphox is one of my favorite starter Pokemon from a design standpoint, and I feel that it is an incredibly underrated Pokemon. I'm honestly not sure why some people seem to dislike it so much, because I really think its design is overall very neat and nails the concept it wants to go for. It's not a flaming animal of rage like the Fire starters that came before it, and after having three Fire / Fighting types in a row, Delphox being Fire / Psychic is honestly very refreshing. It's a mage or sorcerer/witch, which I think is a really nice spin to have for a Fire-type Pokemon starter, and it has a pretty pleasant and naturalistic flow to its design, while remaining relatively simple, but nailing the overall "witch" vibe it's going for, with the stick wand and having something resembling a witch's robe. I really like the smug and confident look it's got on its face in official artwork and in the anime, and I like how it doesn't look like a raging beast like the others but still manages to give off a cool and confident vibe. It's an overall incredibly neat and cool design that manages to look pretty simple but overall natural and it works well. I personally like it more than Braixen.

One of my favorite things (and imo most overlooked things) about Sun and Moon aside from having a very good story imo is the sheer amount of sidequests the game has to offer. There are a bunch of side quests everywhere to be found, including ones with the Trial Captains of Melemele and Akala, and it gives the player plenty of incentive to go back to other areas and do something like have a battle with a Trial Captain or do something small. People criticize Sun and Moon for being very linear, and while it does have a linear progression, it also has plenty of side stuff to do throughout the main story, such as the side quests. Alola also has plenty of hidden side areas that you're not forced to visit in the main story but make good side areas to visit if you wish, such as Melemele Sea, Kala'e Bay, Haina Desert, you get the drill. I also think it has a pretty solid postgame for a "first versions" thing, about on part with BW1 imo. There's a lot of Poni Island locked up till the postgame, the Battle Tree is great, the Looker quest and the Eevee user sidequest are both great as well, and of course, there's Title Defense. That gives plenty of incentive to keep playing even after the main story. Mind you, USUM has a better postgame overall, but SM has a pretty above average postgame for a non-enhanced version amongst those games in the series.

Unrelated to the games, but I’ve seen people lately say they wish Adventures was adapted into the anime instead of the anime being completely original. I mean no disrespect to Ash or any of the Adventures protagonists but to me Ash is much more of a “kid-appeal character” than most of the Pokedex Holders. People complain about Ash staying 10 forever but the Adventures protagonists age as the story goes on. As of the ORAS chapter, Green (The girl) is TWENTY. Let’s say after the Sword and Shield chapter ends, if we DO get Diamond and Pearl remakes and a chapter based on them, Diamond, Pearl and Platinum will be in their mid/late teens at least. The target audience of the Pokemon anime is much closer to 10 years old than mid/late teens. Many of Ash’s personality traits (Hot-Blooded, The Pollyanna, All-Loving Hero) also appeal to kids more in general to me. IMO it would be really cool if Adventures got an anime adaptation and its way of adapting the Pokemon games is no less valid than the main series anime but it would work better as a separate series (Like Origins, Generations, and Twilight Wings) than completely replacing the main series anime.
Speaking of Diamond and Pearl remakes, another unpopular opinion: Space Sunrise Live was way too early to expect a remake announcement and we should keep our feet on the ground until Pokemon Day at the end of February.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 17)