Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 495371Walking Wake gets Dragon Dance and a bunch of physical moves if you wanna run a gimmicky physical set lol

Edit: Not pictured but it also gets Low Kick.
You know what, I've frankly seen weirder stuff pulled off than that concept, gimmicky or otherwise, and Walking Wake is a mon I fully expect people to rush to try everything with given how much it does just by existing, much less speccing into a role

iron leaves looks really great

SD sweeper with 130 atk 104 speed, good bulk, defensive typing to get off an sd and then it can tera fight CC

it has stab that beats both pex and tusk theoretically, and dozo is less relevant but not a full counter either bc grass stab

people are hype about wake but iron leaves looks like a very significant and consistent wincon

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Hasn't been mentioned, but H-Zoroark is also legal now, and with it, it seemingly has its PLA stats back (rather than a mirror of regular Zoroark):

Regular Zoroark: 60/105/60/120/60/105
(PLA) Hisuian Zoroark: 55/100/60/125/60/110

More Speed (+SpA) will help in outspeeding our new mons, as well as some old ones, so that's dope!

Honestly struggling to come up with a preliminary set for Walking Wake. So far the only things that I see are Tera Blast / Hydro Steam / Flamethrower / Draco Meteor... Maybe on a Scarf set.

Hasn't been mentioned, but H-Zoroark is also legal now, and with it, it seemingly has its PLA stats back (rather than a mirror of regular Zoroark):

Regular Zoroark: 60/105/60/120/60/105
(PLA) Hisuian Zoroark: 55/100/60/125/60/110

More Speed (+SpA) will help in outspeeding our new mons, as well as some old ones, so that's dope!
Can confirm. It indeed has 125 SpA and 110 Speed (mine is Modest since I wanna use mine for raids).

My Great Capture Screenshot 2023-02-27 11-27-23.png

opera_92iXLTrHdo.png

Edit: forgot to fix the HP stat

Last edited:
Do we know if WW gets a special side boosting move yet?

Leaves has crap typing so hopefully it has some nice coverage so it can be used as a scarf revenge mon.

I don’t think home is going to be anytime soon. The game is literally getting an update 3 months from its release. Gamefreak seems to be behind the ball most of the time. I remember when Pokémon day was in 2020, they announced 2 dlcs broken in parts but no mention of home release. When the dlc got closer to its release date, then home was finally announced.
Didn’t want to say I told you so but I told you so lmao.

With the DLC confirmed to be in the fall, home release won’t happen until that time.

When SwSh had their Pokémon day broadcast, no word on home but DLC date confirmed. Home release wasn’t confirmed until the date of the DLC got closer. So home isn’t “spring” anymore. It’s fall. Gamefreak behind on the ball as usual. You’re welcome nonsayers.

iron leaves looks really great

SD sweeper with 130 atk 104 speed, good bulk, defensive typing to get off an sd and then it can tera fight CC

it has stab that beats both pex and tusk theoretically, and dozo is less relevant but not a full counter either bc grass stab

people are hype about wake but iron leaves looks like a very significant and consistent wincon
The typing's a mixed bag. It's good against some prominent types in OU like Ground/Fighting from Tusk, but you gain a weakness to Knock Off and U-Turn, two moves almost every mon that can use will find a way to use, alongside the other general ups and downs. Offensively the type's great right now, but I think Leaves is leaning a lot more on bulk and neutral than resistances to get its SD off. That said this would make it an excellent "buy me one more turn to Boost" user of Tera, which is proving itself one of the most lucrative uses of the mechanic in OU in general.

Honestly struggling to come up with a preliminary set for Walking Wake. So far the only things that I see are Tera Blast / Hydro Steam / Flamethrower / Draco Meteor... Maybe on a Scarf set.
Specs probably also works well since its coverage is very hard to switch into for a Tier with like 2 good Fairies, one of which isn't doing much defensively anyway.

Didn’t want to say I told you so but I told you so lmao.

With the DLC confirmed to be in the fall, home release won’t happen until that time.

When SwSh had their Pokémon day broadcast, no word on home but DLC date confirmed. Home release wasn’t confirmed until the date of the DLC got closer. So home isn’t “spring” anymore. It’s fall. Gamefreak behind on the ball as usual. You’re welcome nonsayers.
Okay, now do you want to add something to the conversation about what's actually here instead of roasting people for wanting to wait on a news update in case the news affected things?

The typing's a mixed bag. It's good against some prominent types in OU like Ground/Fighting from Tusk, but you gain a weakness to Knock Off and U-Turn, two moves almost every mon that can use will find a way to use, alongside the other general ups and downs. Offensively the type's great right now, but I think Leaves is leaning a lot more on bulk and neutral than resistances to get its SD off. That said this would make it an excellent "buy me one more turn to Boost" user of Tera, which is proving itself one of the most lucrative uses of the mechanic in OU in general.

Specs probably also works well since its coverage is very hard to switch into for a Tier with like 2 good Fairies, one of which isn't doing much defensively anyway.

Okay, now do you want to add something to the conversation about what's actually here instead of roasting people for wanting to wait on a news update in case the news affected things?
I just punched in the numbers from Smog's Twitter onto the damage calc. Timid 109 Speed + 125 SpAtk makes for 177/177. I wonder how the game will react to that with Proto...

not really for this tier, a lot of stuff it can setup on especially because pex lacks scald

it can setup on most sets of pex, chomp, hatt, garg, orth, wash, quaval, clod, and more, and then threaten them out

because it has good natural bulk to take a non stab se hit
The big concern is that it can't take a U-Turn from a defensive mon. Corviknight resists both STABs and threatens to do way too much off a pivot move. I guess we'll see what coverage it has but I can't see it doing too much to truly wallbreak without Tera Electric and that's a lot of investment to work.

that's part of why I think tera fighting is automatically the best tera for it, on top of resisting a lot of moves it is weak to

i did kinda mess up by saying "defensive typing", what i meant was more "typing that against certain mons can afford it a setup turn"

i dont have the calcs but it has decent bulk which will help i imagine, and dismantling teams without like, tera dozo and a great revenge killer seems like a good wincon

wake will be really good but i think iron leaves will be a hit as well when people get over uturn/knock off, it has a shit ton of potential rn imo

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
prelim thoughts:

walking wake looks horrific, and will probably single-handedly propel sun into serious viability. its dual stabs are great with the only switch-ins being the blobs as protosynthesis specs draco plows through a lot of the metagame, even water absorb clodsire. with hydro steam being a stupid flexible option that in tandem with wake’s quad resistance to water lets sun combat rain, wisp users, and fire-types more practically. even outside of sun it looks very useful. also gives us an answer to volcarona that lacks bug buzz which could prove to be relevant

iron leaves has great attack, solid speed, and boosting. a rather mediocre typing, however it resists both of tusk’s stabs (albeit weak to knock) and looks to be a promising abuser of tera due to quark drive and sd. we don’t really know if it has sufficient coverage to work at a high level but there’s some potential

hisuian zoroark could be cool. i don’t think it’ll do a ton even with that fabled normal/ghost typing due to its stabs having kinda middling base power and not hitting much super effectively but with illusion, focus blast, and 3 immunities it might be able to put in work. don’t think it’ll be as great as people originally thought though

prelim thoughts:

walking wake looks horrific, and will probably single-handedly propel sun into serious viability. its dual stabs are great with the only switch-ins being the blobs as protosynthesis specs draco plows through a lot of the metagame, even water absorb clodsir. with hydro steam being a stupid flexible option that in tandem with wake’s quad resistance to water lets sun combat rain more practically. even outside of sun it looks very potent. also gives us an answer to volcarona that lacks bug buzz

iron leaves has great attack, solid speed, and boosting. a rather mediocre typing, however it resists both of tusk’s stabs (albeit weak to knock) and looks to be a promising abuser of tera. we don’t really know if it has sufficient coverage but there’s some potential

hisuian zoroark could be cool. i don’t think it’ll do a ton even with that fabled normal/ghost typing due to its stabs having kinda middling base power and not hitting much super effectively but with illusion, focus blast, and 3 immunities it might be able to put in work. don’t think it’ll be as great as people originally thought though
this doesn't mean much, but from when i played with hzoroark in home tours, my main use from it was being a decently fast spatker with shadow ball and hyper voice to choose which things it wants to hit

hyper voice did a surprisingly good amount of damage with specs, and without pink blobs in the tier there isn't that much that wants to switch in, even clod isn't a big fan

i think it'll be UU though, it's not worth a mon with zero defensive utility to this tier's power level imo

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
The big concern is that it can't take a U-Turn from a defensive mon. Corviknight resists both STABs and threatens to do way too much off a pivot move. I guess we'll see what coverage it has but I can't see it doing too much to truly wallbreak without Tera Electric and that's a lot of investment to work.
Yeah the 4x weakness to Bug will be very annoying with opposing Uturns getting a free play up on a switch or really punishing you for staying it, it'll be a very tera reliant Pokemon

iron leaves has great attack, solid speed, and boosting. a rather mediocre typing, however it resists both of tusk’s stabs (albeit weak to knock) and looks to be a promising abuser of tera. we don’t really know if it has sufficient coverage but there’s some potential
Can confirm it gets SD + Close Combat.

I just punched in the numbers from Smog's Twitter onto the damage calc. Timid 109 Speed + 125 SpAtk makes for 177/177. I wonder how the game will react to that with Proto...
According to our own Site on Quark Drive (Proto likely works the same)

If multiple stats are tied, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed are prioritized in that order.
So presumably it just comes down to taking a point out of whichever stat you don't want to get the boost on.

Yeah the 4x weakness to Bug will be very annoying with opposing Uturns getting a free play up on a switch or really punishing you for staying it, it'll be a very tera reliant Pokemon
none of this is a dealbreaker imo, as long as it does its job, which looks promisingly capable of such

at worst I can see it being a nicher like B Tier, but imo it's def gonna be good

gonna log off for now, cyas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)