(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

I’m sorry, do you forget Dragapult, Kommo-o, Greninja, Hoopa, etc, all exist
Tbh I don't think Dragapult counts as mixed attacker. It's clearly designed as phisical attacker, with the intentional design of not having a reliable ghost stab for balance reasons. Just people value a fast special attacker more due to the nuclear power of Draco Meteor and spammability of Shadow ball.

In both Gen 8 and 9, the only times actual Phisical dragapult was viable in VGC/BSS was if you were willing to commit dynamax/terastal to get the phisical ghost stab

Tbh I don't think Dragapult counts as mixed attacker. It's clearly designed as phisical attacker, with the intentional design of not having a reliable ghost stab for balance reasons. Just people value a fast special attacker more due to the nuclear power of Draco Meteor and spammability of Shadow ball.

In both Gen 8 and 9, the only times actual Phisical dragapult was viable in VGC/BSS was if you were willing to commit dynamax/terastal to get the phisical ghost stab
I agree to a degree just looking stats overall, but I think it is fair to consider in Dragapult's case, it's so heavily specced into Speed that its intended role is to just hit decently hard while outrunning things rather than battering through things fresh like Salamence or Metagross would, while the gap between attack stats isn't as wide as something like Garchomp (which wasn't blisteringly so but had a speed advantage in its debut gen as well). They probably could have put 10 points into each of its defenses at the expense of SpA if they didn't intend for Special/Mixed to be an option (even if not the primary one), since it wouldn't be enough to shift Drag's role from a relatively-frail Fast Attacker.

I feel like they tried to do that with Nidoking and Nidoqueen and then it just ended up with them shifting to being special attackers, which is interesting in its own right but obviously not mixed.
This seems more because their special options make better use of Sheer Force than their physical ones. Kind of a true statement when not bringing up the Nidos, too; it's a lot more common to see physical moves with either no effect, a conditional boost that isn't impacted by Sheer Force, or a drawback if the move is really powerful. Physical moves with a secondary effect aren't unheard of but they tend to be weaker than their special options. Heck, even Landorus usually goes special when using Sheer Force, despite having a higher attack stat.

Castersvarog

formerly Maronmario
I feel like they tried to do that with Nidoking and Nidoqueen and then it just ended up with them shifting to being special attackers, which is interesting in its own right but obviously not mixed.
I mean to be fair to the Nidos, their options for a special movepool are just way better for sheer force than their physical movepools. The elemental punches just aren’t competing with Flamethrower, T-bolt and ice beam, and that’s before STAB moves being factored in. Poison jab stands no chance against sludge wave and the best physical ground type move Sheer force works with is Bulldoze at 60bp.
Like if it got Gunk Shot and High Horsepower had a flinch chance you’d definitely see physical sets, but for now it’s just not worth it.

I think it's really just that it's rare in general for a mon to be good at both Physical and Special roughly equally. Between STABs, coverage options, base stats, ability interactions, boosting moves, and whatever else I'm forgetting, it's highly likely that anything designed as a mixed attacker* will be notably better in one category or the other. Even in cases where something is good at both**, metagame trends will push you one way or the other.

Actual mixed sets are their own can of worms, of course, and are usually signs that players are desperately trying to patch a hole in the movepool with anything they can.

*to whatever degree GF thinks about that
**Either something that has roughly the same options on either side, or a Dragon situation where you have Draco Meteor for nuke sets and Dragon Dance for physical sweepers

I am mostly fine with most of gen 9's movepool nerfs, but I think some of them are a bit questionable.

For example, several Pokemon lost phazing moves they previously had. Heatran is the first one that comes to mind, as it lost Roar. Another one I noticed was that Slowking lost Dragon Tail for no reason too. I really don't think there was any reason for these change. Sure these Pokemon didn't run phazing moves all the time, but they were really cool options that gave certain sets, like AV on Slowking, or some defensive Heatran variants, much more Utility. Heatran in particular would have loved Roar to deal with Volcarona, which it can't pressure with Toxic anymore (a change I am in favor of as Toxic + Magma Storm let Heatran beat its "counters" like Slowking).

Bisharp losing Knock Off was a good change to balance Kingambit specifically, but it does suck that it downgraded Bisharp itself into a joke from the massive offensive threat it previously was. Eviolite doesn't make up for the massive hit to its DPS and utility, especially since it also lost Pursuit.

The upcoming TCG expansion, Paradox Rift, will feature a Mantyke card.
The FIRST Mantyke card since the DP Era of cards.
Mantyke cards.jpg

No joke, before the SV Era, Mantyke only had three cards, two of these being Japan-only.
Why? What's wrong with Mantyke? It's a cutesy manta ray! It has a smiley face on its back!
But Mantyke is not alone among Baby Pokémon in the Trading Card Game. Bonsly suffers from the exact same issue as Mantyke, only receiving a post-DP card this summer:
Bonsly cards.jpg

And then I found out that multiple Baby Pokémon have no cards in BW, XY, SM, and SwSh! This includes Magby (who just got new cards in Japan), Elekid, Smoochum, Budew, Chingling, and Mime Jr..
Cleffa, Igglybuff, Tyrogue, Azurill, Wynaut, Happiny, Munchlax had cards in SM, the only ones after DP until Cleffa's Obsidian Flames appearances.
Pichu has only one post-DP card, and it's a SwSh promo.

The only Baby Pokémon pre-SwSh with several cards in every subsequent generation is Riolu. Now, this could be because Lucario was always an evolved Pokémon in the games, and also because Lucario is a huge fan-favorite, but my Lord, were the other Babies shafted in the card game.

View attachment 559092
No joke, before the SV Era, Mantyke only had three cards, two of these being Japan-only.
Why? What's wrong with Mantyke? It's a cutesy manta ray! It has a smiley face on its back!
But Mantyke is not alone among Baby Pokémon in the Trading Card Game. Bonsly suffers from the exact same issue as Mantyke, only receiving a post-DP card this summer:
View attachment 559095
And then I found out that multiple Baby Pokémon have no cards in BW, XY, SM, and SwSh! This includes Magby (who just got new cards in Japan), Elekid, Smoochum, Budew, Chingling, and Mime Jr..
Cleffa, Igglybuff, Tyrogue, Azurill, Wynaut, Happiny, Munchlax had cards in SM, the only ones after DP until Cleffa's Obsidian Flames appearances.

The only Baby Pokémon pre-SwSh with several cards in every subsequent generation is Riolu. Now, this could be because Lucario was always an evolved Pokémon in the games, and also because Lucario is a huge fan-favorite, but my Lord, were the other Babies shafted in the card game.
I think broadly its because babies just had a weird place, mechanically, in the TCG
Like most of the pokemon they evolved into were already ready-play Basic Pokemon (you will note Riolu, Togepi and Toxel get around this because they are just normal part of the line), so they needed a distinct gimmick but they probably felt it was awkward to include these things that are both part of another line but also fully ignorable.

It seems like the SM era and now the SV era has them experimenting with them again, as their own standalone stuff (I dont' think Paradox Rift even has a Mantine card, for instance). SV seems to be favoring "free support attack and no retreat cost"

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
View attachment 559092
View attachment 559095

I wonder if this had to do with how the TCG team doesn’t like the Baby Pokémon at all and decided to not bother with them most of the time after their debut. I strongly believe so since most of the GSC Baby Pokémon aren’t well received at release by even casual fanbase due to being dex fillers due to only being obtained as Eggs and also weaker than already weak former first stage Pokémon, alongside especially weak cards even by first stage Pokémon standards.

Which I feel caused such a stigma for TCG team that they do not want anything with cross-gen baby Pokémon except for rare occasions. Going for a more straightforward shared gimmick of a free support attack and no retreat cost will make them useful for the early game of a TCG match, at the very least.

I wonder if this had to do with how the TCG team doesn’t like the Baby Pokémon at all and decided to not bother with them most of the time after their debut. I strongly believe so since most of the GSC Baby Pokémon aren’t well received at release by even casual fanbase due to being dex fillers due to only being obtained as Eggs and also weaker than already weak former first stage Pokémon, alongside especially weak cards even by first stage Pokémon standards.

Which I feel caused such a stigma for TCG team that they do not want anything with cross-gen baby Pokémon except for rare occasions. Going for a more straightforward shared gimmick of a free support attack and no retreat cost will make them useful for the early game of a TCG match, at the very least.
I think this is projecting a lot, especially since those Pokemon are definitely still popular to varying degrees...and there's certainly no proof the TCG team "doesnt like the baby Pokemon at all"
Especially when a few of the baby cards were meta in the TCG for their respective time periods.

The game design being awkward around them probably is closer to the mark since we see that crop up with a few other things throughout the TCG. Just look at Dragon type, which got dropped presumably since it was kind of design to be with Fairy which also got dropped since it only really interacted with Dragon and they wanted to veer a little simpler, but are now being brought back but are being brought back with very small additions (it's like 1-3 tops) in a given set and are more treated as weirder colorless Pokemon.

That would be because Riolu isn't a Baby.

That would be because Riolu isn't a Baby.
In the card game it isn't, but in the games it, Togepi, and Toxel are all considered babies coding-wise(and lore-wise in numerous official media sources). All three lack the normal TCG baby traits because they were introduced the same generation as their evolutions. Which also means those three pretty much have to appear in any set their evolutions appear in as normal Pokemon cards.

The problem with Baby Pokemon in the TCG is the same as in the video games: Why do you as a player want this? If the point is to get your powerful full evo out ASAP, baby mons just slow that down. If the baby mon is good enough to use on it's own, that's really weird given that it's, you know, a baby.

I wonder if the solution is for baby mons to provide a permanent buff to the mon they evolve into, treated like an attached item afterwards. It'd reward the player for going through the extra stage to get their Raichu or whatever out, but remain optional which matches the video game mechanics.

The problem with Baby Pokemon in the TCG is the same as in the video games: Why do you as a player want this? If the point is to get your powerful full evo out ASAP, baby mons just slow that down. If the baby mon is good enough to use on it's own, that's really weird given that it's, you know, a baby.
The original Neo Genesis Cleffa was one of the best cards back in the day. Baby Pokemon back then all had a passive mechanic where if it was your active Pokemon the opponent had to win a coin flip to even use an attack, and had no weaknesses or a retreat cost(but also no resistances and only ever had 30 HP). Cleffa's main draw was that, for one energy of any type, you could shuffle your hand back into your deck and draw 7 cards. You were insane to NOT splash this in any deck. This is also why it was one the cards reprinted in Celebrations to represent the Neo era of the TCG.

the solution they've settled on is a "soft gimmick" which I suppose to be fair is a lot easier to get away with when TCG sets by design are about 90% binder filler.
Babies can't even evolve and no longer have the "baby" mark as of the SM sets. They're here because they might have some niche use while also giving fans of them something to collect.

Wouldn't surprise me if Pokemon 151 (& dexit lol) got them to try and purposely recirculate Pokemon that have been passed over for one reason or another, too.

Speaking of Pokémon 151...
View attachment 559358
Anyone else think Gen II Pokémon tend to get shafted when it comes to "throwback" sets and games? Johto was nostalgic to many people after all.
I am pretty sure people have been complaining about gen 1 focus in games & stuff for a large chunk of the series life span, yes. Including within the gen 2 games...

in fairness to Pokemon 151 specifically, if they plan to do more of these sets then like the sitting cuties they kind of have to start with the first generation anyway. Though they'll have to drop the gimmick they had for the name and numbering so maybe they just don't bother

Speaking of Pokémon 151...
View attachment 559358
Anyone else think Gen II Pokémon tend to get shafted when it comes to "throwback" sets and games? Johto was nostalgic to many people after all.
And most Johtomons are dogshit, like, only Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Ho-oh, The beasts, and TTar are good from that generation. And Blissey, who only rose to OU because of the bear, and will likely drop to UU in November

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 8, Guests: 9)