Unpopular opinions

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
View attachment 564955
My Pokemon Mainline Game Tier List
I will willingly play the games in “I’m ok with their existence”, and BDSP is ment to be in “I’m ok with their existence.”
Pretty decent tier list, all things considered, even if you’re one of the few people I’ve seen who would rank Scarlet & Violet this highly. I think part of the issue with a lot of the games is how many of them tend to render other games useless by comparison. More specifically, the combination of third versions and remakes eventually makes it so there’s literally no reason to go back to an original pair of versions most of the time.

Pretty decent tier list, all things considered, even if you’re one of the few people I’ve seen who would rank Scarlet & Violet this highly. I think part of the issue with a lot of the games is how many of them tend to render other games useless by comparison. More specifically, the combination of third versions and remakes eventually makes it so there’s literally no reason to go back to an original pair of versions most of the time.
The reason I rank it highly is because I have played online games on a Chromebook at McDonald’s, those who complain about that merely adopted the bugs and lag, I was born in it, molded by it. Jokes aside, I have played Minecraft 1.17.1 with experiments on, it was something special lets just say that.
How I judge games is based on there story and there Pokémon selection.

My mainline game tier list categories would probably be like
  • Can always start up a new run and trust that I'll have a good time
  • Good enough that I regularly forget its flaws, but flawed enough that I'm always a little disappointed when I come back to it
  • Won't replay unless I have a very specific challenge run idea that seems fun enough to paper over (or make use of!) the game's shortcomings
  • Never again (unless......)

View attachment 564961
We need this death battle matchup, it would be sick, give me your thoughts on it, and who you think wins. I believe it would be Koraidon, ynow, the one who can split continental crust with a punch
Is it specifically Razewing Rathalos/Ratha from Monster Hunter Stories 2, or just any Rathalos, not like I expect Death Battle to do good research anyway.

Is it specifically Razewing Rathalos/Ratha from Monster Hunter Stories 2, or just any Rathalos, not like I expect Death Battle to do good research anyway.
Razewing, and from what I know, I think Koraidon wins.
He can jump 65 feet into the air, is immensly powerful for his size according to his Pokedex entries and the Pokemon SV website, is very durable, and has insane stamina

I think these things are silly, but I feel obligated to mention that an average Rathalos is about 55 feet in length from head to tail. Stories has a chibi art style, so this might be hard to grasp comparing directly with it, but a Rathalos is typically several times Koraidon's size. Eternatus (65 feet long) is the only Pokemon of comparable size.
Razewing Ratha has no canon statistics, with fanon esimates between 18-74 feet in length. But size isnt everything, as power also matters, as well as speed and mobility.
Exhibit A;
ScarletThis seems to be the Winged King mentioned in an old expedition journal. It was said to have split the land with its bare fists.
I know the Pokedex exagerates, but this is a legendary Pokemon, this is feasable
Interpreting this as crack the continental crust, a strike as powerful as the one that wiped out the dinosaurs, the KT meteor, wasnt strong enough, so Koraidon is fucking rediculous if that is canon
Basically
Koraidons full power punch is greater than 8000 Fat Man's (the bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima)
Basically, in pure destructive power, Koraidon is not being beat by Razewing Rathalos

Last edited:
"Splitting the land" is nowhere near the same as splitting continental crust. JP wording also uses 大地, which is basically solid ground/earth. I.E. Koraidon can fissure surface level terrain with its fists. The entry doesn't support the idea of Koraidon busting continents at all.
Ok, that is fair, it is not clearly worded, I shouldnt have assumed that. I changed the article

"Splitting the land" is nowhere near the same as splitting continental crust. JP wording also uses 大地, which is basically solid ground/earth. I.E. Koraidon can fissure surface level terrain with its fists. The entry doesn't support the idea of Koraidon busting continents at all.
I expect DEATH BATTLE! to not just take Pokédex entries at face value, but also scale Koraidon to Arceus the gosh-darn Demiurge because the sandwich-eating dinosaur bike OHKOes Normal-type Almighty Sinnoh with Low Kick, which isn't even the prehistoric chopper's strongest move.

I expect DEATH BATTLE! to not just take Pokédex entries at face value, but also scale Koraidon to Arceus the gosh-darn Demiurge because the sandwich-eating dinosaur bike OHKOes Normal-type Almighty Sinnoh with Low Kick, which isn't even the prehistoric chopper's strongest move.
Yeah, they might depending on their bias, as Monster Hunter hasn’t been showcased on their channel as far as I am aware, but they might be heavily biased in Rathalos’s favor. Imo, this is a even matchup, with it being able to go either way, but if they say either side had a massive advantage, I’m calling their BS.
This has changed since my first post

Last edited:
Reiterating that I find the whole premise dumb, but I really want to emphasize the size difference here. Realistically, creatures can't take on something several times their size. Sure, in fantasy settings, especially RPGs where size is pretty much irrelevant (as is the case in Pokemon), this doesn't matter. But how realistic do you think your odds would be against someone the size of an elephant? The size difference here is at least that much.

This is a huge fantasy vs. realism contention kind of thing. Monster Hunter monsters tank a good hundred or so blows from wickedly sharp blades, powerful bludgeons, and lethal bullets, the likes of which have no purpose or reason to exist in Pokemon, and this is justified in-universe by the sheer durability of their scales and the like. On the other hand, Pokemon are capable of fantastic feats that make no sense because of its high fantasy nature, so even the frailest of Pokemon faced with blows that rupture the very ground it stands on will merely faint, and this is justified in-universe by...uh, that's just what Pokemon do, I guess?

From a grounded perspective, it's no contest at all. From a fantasy perspective, it's almost always going to favor the more absurd and unrealistic setting, as fantasy works can just make up their own guidelines. Consequently, I'm really not a fan of the premise of these types of ideas, trying to compare two settings with completely different rules is kind of dumb. I favor adaptations / collaborations, but even then, these two settings make for a really poor fit.

Reiterating that I find the whole premise dumb, but I really want to emphasize the size difference here. Realistically, creatures can't take on something several times their size. Sure, in fantasy settings, especially RPGs where size is pretty much irrelevant (as is the case in Pokemon), this doesn't matter. But how realistic do you think your odds would be against someone the size of an elephant? The size difference here is at least that much.

This is a huge fantasy vs. realism contention kind of thing. Monster Hunter monsters tank a good hundred or so blows from wickedly sharp blades, powerful bludgeons, and lethal bullets, the likes of which have no purpose or reason to exist in Pokemon, and this is justified in-universe by the sheer durability of their scales and the like. On the other hand, Pokemon are capable of fantastic feats that make no sense because of its high fantasy nature, so even the frailest of Pokemon faced with blows that rupture the very ground it stands on will merely faint, and this is justified in-universe by...uh, that's just what Pokemon do, I guess?

From a grounded perspective, it's no contest at all. From a fantasy perspective, it's almost always going to favor the more absurd and unrealistic setting, as fantasy works can just make up their own guidelines. Consequently, I'm really not a fan of the premise of these types of ideas, trying to compare two settings with completely different rules is kind of dumb. I favor adaptations / collaborations, but even then, these two settings make for a really poor fit.
CrystalEven a missile can’t break the spikes it uses to stab opponents. They’re even harder than its shell.
FireRedIts shell is extremely hard. It cannot be shattered, even with a bomb. The shell opens only when it is attacking.
this one is also used by Y and Sun, but these weapons theoretically exist, just we just havent seen them. I am aware of how wack older Pokedex entries are, but yeah. As well as several stating a harder than diamond shell. I am aware these could be exaggerated, but this is an Japanese RPG, it might be that wacky.

I guess I should have specified moreso MH's specific kind of anti-monster weaponry wielded by human hands against said monsters, in a way that humans in the Pokémon world never do. Though I might say, missiles are actually more advanced technology than that of the MH setting. The MH movie suggests modern military weapons like bullets and missiles don't faze MH monsters whatsoever, but the movie is terrible, I won't acknowledge it.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
CrystalEven a missile can’t break the spikes it uses to stab opponents. They’re even harder than its shell.
FireRedIts shell is extremely hard. It cannot be shattered, even with a bomb. The shell opens only when it is attacking.
this one is also used by Y and Sun, but these weapons theoretically exist, just we just havent seen them. I am aware of how wack older Pokedex entries are, but yeah. As well as several stating a harder than diamond shell. I am aware these could be exaggerated, but this is an Japanese RPG, it might be that wacky.
We see bombs all the time in the anime (or at least we did in the original anime, I'm less familiar with modern stuff)

We see bombs all the time in the anime (or at least we did in the original anime, I'm less familiar with modern stuff)
The modern anime just has brain-washing (no I’m not kidding)
I think swsh is the best pokemon game
I believe people were just salty about Dexit, its not prefect, heck, I don’t think its great, but its at least decent. I also have a lot of good memories with it, raising my Inteleon, James Pond, to her full potential. And also dunking on Raihan

The modern anime just has brain-washing (no I’m not kidding)

I believe people were just salty about Dexit, its not prefect, heck, I don’t think its great, but its at least decent. I also have a lot of good memories with it, raising my Inteleon, James Pond, to her full potential. And also dunking on Raihan
To be perfectly honest, if Dexit wasn't a thing I'm pretty sure most people would consider SwSh one of the best ones.

I like SwSh, but I doubt this. A lot of peoples’ major points of criticism toward SwSh don’t have anything to do with Dexit, like the story conclusion, route / town design, and the amount of post-game content.
Yeah I don't care about Dexit at all, but SwSh are still the games that I have the least desire to go back to. SwSh has plenty of memorable characters, but for me, the only memorable battles are against Raihan (because of his bad-but-fun gimmick) and Leon (because of the big level jump) and in both of my Shield playthroughs I consistently felt like I had to deliberately play suboptimally if I wanted to have any fun.

EDIT: there's still stuff that I like about SwSh though, at least in theory (character customisation, expansive options for monotype runs, most of the new mons, etc.)

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I like SwSh, but I doubt this. A lot of peoples’ major points of criticism toward SwSh don’t have anything to do with Dexit, like the story conclusion, route / town design, and the amount of post-game content.
The entire story from what I've seen is just. Bad? Not just the ending. Like I know Pokémon has never been super strong or focused on narrative, but SWSH feels like it actively hides most of the plot from you until you're randomly thrust into action due to incredibly contrived reasons.

Also Team Yell sucks and there are some really bizarre presentation snafus. I don't mean the N64 tree, I'm talking stuff like Piers's silent singing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 7, Guests: 22)