(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

The Ultrabeasts were a perfect opportunity to have none catchable boss battles. Possessed Lusamine similarly
Imagine my severe disappoinment
God no. I'm pretty sure I said this back during the datamine era of SM when we only had pictures of the mons and people were theorizing this shit, but having shit you can't get fully goes against the spirit of the franchise to me.

I find it ever so slightly annoying that there isn’t a physical Flying Taxi stationed somewhere in the overworld of Kitakami. SwSh had a couple in Wyndon, and there’s a Paldean Flying Taxi in Zapapico. This affects nothing gameplay-wise, of course, but the Kitakamian Flying Taxi only ever appearing as a symbol on the loading screen breaks my immersion a little by reminding me that I’m just teleporting around in a video game and can do so regardless of the actual content of the in-game world.

God no. I'm pretty sure I said this back during the datamine era of SM when we only had pictures of the mons and people were theorizing this shit, but having shit you can't get fully goes against the spirit of the franchise to me.
I think having a battle-exclusive form (Eternamax, Starmobiles, a hypothetical Nihilusamine battle) here and there for the sake of a cool story setpiece is fine, but that’s about as far as I’d be willing to go. I love the Ultra Beasts, and I would have been so disappointed if they weren’t catchable.

Afraid to disagree. What gets me is people acted like they aren't "Pokemon" enough for designs when the games were coming out. Doesn't help that an explicit new ball was made for them
Like, Mystery Dungeon opted for none Pokemon bosses later and no one complains. The BW2 Pokestar Studios where you fight none mons is also generally accepted
Heck, have it like raid battles where it's multiple vs 1 titan and it not using known mon moves and there you go. Doesn't feel like a mon by that point

Like, Mystery Dungeon opted for none Pokemon bosses later and no one complains.
Mystery Dungeon is a totally different type of gameplay, though. (And also one that I - and judging by the gulf in sales numbers, probably a vast majority of main series players - don’t engage in.) What makes sense for one kind of game doesn’t necessarily make sense for another.

The BW2 Pokestar Studios where you fight none mons is also generally accepted
Because Pokéstar Studios is explicitly just a fun, silly, inconsequential side-feature. One of the “non-Pokémon” that you fight is literally just a giant woman’s pair of legs. (And IIRC, you don’t even actually conduct the battle against the non-Pokémon “bosses,” but rather, against a guy in a mocap suit / green screen stand-in.)

Afraid to disagree. What gets me is people acted like they aren't "Pokemon" enough for designs when the games were coming out. Doesn't help that an explicit new ball was made for them
Like, Mystery Dungeon opted for none Pokemon bosses later and no one complains. The BW2 Pokestar Studios where you fight none mons is also generally accepted
Heck, have it like raid battles where it's multiple vs 1 titan and it not using known mon moves and there you go. Doesn't feel like a mon by that point
1) Mystery Dungeon is not the main series.
2) I can tell you've never actually done the PokéStar Studios stuff. Outside of hacking the PokéStar opponents aren't actually real, they're CGI overlayed over green screen punching boards. You don't even actually even see them until you're watching the finished movie back.

I really don't like the "UBs are too out there to be pokemon" crap. Were they bizarre by the standards of Alola's setting? Sure, but all I remember about prerelease Alola is "where am I supposed to find Steel-types?" A lot of the concepts don't feel contradictory at all to me. Xurkitree is a standout example: representing a christmas tree and, by extension, a tree in general entirely from the arrangement of the lights and cables is something I've seen in plenty of displays. There's arguably a more solid background here than with Sudowoodo.

I really don't like the "UBs are too out there to be pokemon" crap
Oh no I agree, but that WAS the sentiment at the time. Even though that was the same gen that gave use Tsareena and Salazzle :V. To be fair I'm moreso salty of possessed Lusamine than anything
Still, even though Pokestar is fake, I do think GF can do none mon bosses. I mean beating up manmade robot mechs wouldn't be a bad thing...
1698453090497.png

Anime did it for eons with TR
And as noted, Revaroom was part of a machine/form to fight against Team Star

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Actually at the time of GTI’s release it was one of the main points of discourse. I recall it also being brought up in regards to Super despite it being a better game overall.

Both games also had clearly worse sales than the previous ones with Pokemon bosses.

It's not like the mystery dungeon games already had original bosses before.

Primal_Dialga_artwork.png

Other spin-offs also had non-Pokemon/original bosses too.

249Lugia-Shadow_XD.png
Dark_Rust.png

Honestly my favorite story bosses so far in mainline games are raid-style ones that guarantee capture on defeat just by actually forcing a fight instead of just cheesing with a Master Ball, such as Eternatus, Origin Form Dialga/Palkia, Orgepon, Bloodmoon Ursaluna, and sorta Necrozma in USUM for having a 255 catch rate on Mt. Lanakila.

View attachment 565703

View attachment 565705View attachment 565707

Honestly my favorite story bosses so far in mainline games are raid-style ones that guarantee capture on defeat just by actually forcing a fight instead of just cheesing with a Master Ball, such as Eternatus, Origin Form Dialga/Palkia, Orgepon, Bloodmoon Ursaluna, and sorta Necrozma in USUM for having a 255 catch rate on Mt. Lanakila.
You did catch Shadow Lugia though, so I'm not sure why you're bringing it up here.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

View attachment 565703

View attachment 565705View attachment 565707

Pretty sure Primal Dialga and Shadow Lugia are two of the most popular bosses because they’re unique takes on actual Pokemon.

been continuing my catch up on the end of Journey, and was looking ahead at some of the titles to make sure how far behind I was and the way the Semifinal & Finals battles are titled bugs me just a smidge

So in Japan it's all Semifinals/Finals #: DescriptiveWord (s) while America wants full proper titles and turned that word into a full thing usually with a pun (as the west likes to do!) . Very cute, I like that.

Except they didn't do it for all of them!

Semifinals I - Overwhelming Victory -> It's.... Champion Time!
Semifinals II - Dazzle -> Bewitch, Battle and Bewilder
Semifinals III - Valor -> Valor: A Strategic Part of Battling

Semifinals IV - Impact -> Whittle While You Work
Finals I - Torrent -> A Flood of Torrential Gains
Finals II - Toy Around -> Toying With Your Motions

Finals III - The Strongest -> Paring Pokemon While Parrying
Finals IV - Partner -> Partners In Time

(The Valor one is also kind of overly straight forward but whatever)
The titles they did go with aren't even bad but it's like c'monnnn guys. You were so close! Go for the full set!

Wonder if someone else was just responsible for either that episode in general, or those titles. Ah well

Actually at the time of GTI’s release it was one of the main points of discourse. I recall it also being brought up in regards to Super despite it being a better game overall.

Both games also had clearly worse sales than the previous ones with Pokemon bosses.
My Devil's Advocate argument is that the non-Pokemon bosses are elements you have to get a good way into the campaign to encounter. Gates to Infinity had a myriad of issues that caused many players (myself included) to drop it much earlier and spread bad word of mouth, or that would be known from pre-buy reading such as the miniscule Starter Selection. SMD in turn was improved noticeably but still had some other contentious changes beyond the Bosses, and a common trend I notice is that with a very middling previous entry, the next one will sell less for it (not less than the preceding game but a lower number overall than its quality should suggest), prime example being Devil May Cry (1 sells 2 Million, the maligned 2nd game a similar 1.7 Million, the very popular 3 sells 1.3 because of that, 4th sells 3 Mil after the popular one).

Long-winded way to say GtI's myriad of shortcomings probably had a negative impact on its sequel even if it fixed things that don't directly relate to the non-Pokemon boss elements. Even if they were contentious this is correlation, not (primary) causation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 8)