Governess
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• If you have any future questions or about any checks to do, you can probably hop on irc or mibbit and go to #grammar. All the writers/gpers are there and it's really easy to go over things in real time rather than on forums!
    To be honest, you may be worrying a bit too much about something small. I'm no writer myself, but I totally understand your position. There are very few writers on this site that can pass an analysis through copyediting with few changes, most of them mods or extreme veterans as well as GP members. When you're checking something, there's no personal bias, so you can spot an error or something that just doesn't sound "right" and fix it right away. Proofreading an analysis of your own is a bit different, as when writing it you really think that you've gotten everything correct. I've written a couple articles, and when writing I never consider I'll need any GP changes. When I proofread them, I don't see how something could be considered bad wording because I wrote it myself; it's very difficult to think that anything you've written is "wrong". That's why the GP team is necessary to find these sentences. I was on #grammar with jumpluff when she was working over said check and having a second voice really helped me understand how some of the things I said didn't make much sense. Jukain might have been a correct with the "don't know how to write in english" thing, language isn't really the issue. There's a certain style of professionalism and voice that most writers fall into after some time, and that's the kind of writing the blends together on the site. You can hardly tell the difference between writers after time. As a new writer, you don't really have that much experience with this style of voice and prose while you're writing it, and can only go based off what you hear in your head when writing. Jukain was speaking the truth when he said that it will come in time, but it has nothing to do with your language. It's not a lack of knowledge of how to write in english, but how to write in "smogon".

I'm sorry if this isn't what you wanted to really hear, but that's my view on the idea, at least. The only way to "perfect" writing is through practice, and that means a lot of practice. All I can suggest at this point is to use the stylistic changes that were made to not write them again in the future. You're a fast learner, so I am 100% sure the next thing you write will be much improved. I've seen other writers go through the same process, and the 2nd "full" analysis (a longer, important, multiple-set one) is always exponentially better than the last.

I was kind of all over the place in this, hope it makes sense. Don't worry about bothering me either, I enjoy trying to help!
    sorry; I guess I was a little harsh. I just found it a bit surprising that your am checks are great but your writing isn't quite "there," so to say. I'm sure you'll keep improving, so don't sweat it!
    ya ill allow you to take it over. Post in the thread and ill give you the original post!
    This one doesn't depend on the rules I follow&told you and is purely subjective. I'd leave it there, as there is likely a bit of sentence prior to this and it shouldn't turn into a run-on sentence. Which analysis is this, btw?
    no hyphen for that one. this is talking about the verb form and with a hyphen it's a noun. make sure to not have a capital entry hazards either
    hmmm....considering set-up with a hyphen is only an adjective (A sweeper that has boosted up; a set-up sweeper) I would say a noun, just setup with no hyphen. I would remove the "a" so it would just be "ruining setup or a sweep"
    Governess, can you change the qc tag for your azelf thread back to 2/3? It still needs a proper 3rd approval :o
    Yeah that was a great check, really showing off everything you've learned pretty quickly. Just please, PLEASE add that (AC) on the ends of the commas. You did it in the thing you VMed me, and it was perfect. They all got lost in the analysis >_<

great job, and you should apply for GP sometime soon as I think you've got 3 stamps! That may not be a guaranteed entry into the program, but hopefully that can fix any mistakes you're making at all at this point and get you in closer contact with the GP leaders.
    I like to think of commas as a break in the idea of a sentence. If the things before and after a comma are the same general idea, then I like to remove commas. I really hate useless commas, but I also hate sentences that just seem to fly by. For example "Mantyke reaches a Special Defense stat of 30, (AC) allowing it to take on many Sspecial Aattackers such as Snover and Misdreavus" is a good placement of a comma, as it breaks up two different statements. However, I'd disagree with this comma: "such as Electric-type moves from Staryu and Chinchou, (AC) or Rock-type moves from Tirtouga." Both halves of the sentence separated by the comma are talking about what mantyke can take, and are the same ideas. This looks like a really strong check :)
    It's never a bother! I'm committed to helping out amateur checkers. There were a couple of odd things in the writing with that analysis, and so they're not often talked about in the spelling standards and you missed a couple of them. Personally I would have put a bunch more commas in there, but seeing as sirn already went through this I'll kind of leave the writing style up to him. I've mainly given that a stamp due to the fact that I can see you've been picking up on the things I've told you.

Tip for the day, --, like "but Speed -- which is rather high", are emdashes. -- is the incorrect form of them, and in html they are called &mdash;. If you find any of them, replace them with "&mdash;" to make it easy for the html team!

Also be sure to remember that "it's" is "it is" and not possessive like "its", there were a couple of those in the analysis.

Keep up the work, perhaps checking a fresh analysis this next time so I can see the full extent of your checking ability.
    Some of it was just some weird prose, which may or may not have been from the earlier check. I'm a little aggressive with removing commas sometimes, so that may have changed into a bunch of subjective stuff. It was good, really, nice work.
    Oh, I thought what you meant by excuse is I don't have a brother. Thanks for believing me. Anyways, great job with the analysis!
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…