2011 Music

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Eh kinda looking forward to Dream Theaters new album in September I think but after hearing like one song off it i'm not too big atm since it sounds like Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence style DT, guess you can't judge off one song though...

Also just listened to The Decemberists - The King Is Dead that I've had since forever but had completely forgotten about it (the modern days of music piracy when you even forget about what you just got eh), and while it was a very pleasant listen overall, tbh right by the end of some of the songs I got bored of them, so I guess this album unfortunately doesn't have a lot of replay value, at least not when you try to listen to it frequently - I could be wrong, but either way I myself won't try listening to it often so I can get the best out of it next time as well.

two tracks into incubus's if not now, when? and i'm thinking they've pulled a dredg.

ok maybe not quite that bad but still very very different.

I really didn't like what I heard when I first listened to Incubus' new album, but now that I'm listening to the songs again, I'm warming up to a couple them. It's still not amazing stuff, but some songs like Friends and Lovers are still fairly nice to listen to.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
handsome furs - sound kapital

sorry for the slightly nsfw, but it's an album cover and hardly deserving of a hide tag

handsome furs are my definition of a fun band, whether listening to them casually or at their live performances the mood that they put me is rapturous at best and jolly at worst.

whilst this may not be their strongest release, it's definitely solid and damage stands out as being one of HF tracks to go to in the future.

as a side note, dan boeckner's voice actually sounds like that live, it's amazing.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
just want to say that as someone who absolutely loved Fair to Midland's Fables, and has been impatiently waiting for anchors and arrows for the past 3 years (i had the demo versions of musical chairs and a loophole in limbo on repeat for a few months), the wait was absolutely worth it.

i'd say the biggest qualm i had with Fables was that everything was too similar and blended together at many points. i listened to the album hundreds of times, but sometimes had trouble identifying which song i was currently listening to if it wasn't one of the 4-5 i occasionally gave extra listens to. with the new album, every song has a unique, distinct sound, while still remaining obviously "fair to midland." the album is fantastic and definitely solidified fair to midland's place as one of my favorite bands.

Yeah, the new Fair to Midland is surprisingly great. I can't get enough of "Rikki Tikki Tavi".

I'm discovering so much good stuff from this year. 2011 rules.

mien

Tournament Banned
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
My favorite album release this year was 'I Was Here For A Moment, Then I Was Gone' from Maybeshewill (2 songs linked below)
They may be fairly unknown(certainly in the USA) but they make really amazing music, definitely check out if you enjoy instrumental, electronic music.

Critical Distance
Farewell Sarajevo

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I really like the new Portugal. The Man (In The Mountain In The Cloud).

also: YACHT - Shangri-La

New Devin Townsend albums are amazing. I advise all metalheads to look into Deconstruction and Ghost. Deconstruction is the much heavier album whereas Ghost is very mellow. Both are great albums.

Seems like Drake is trying to pull a Twisted Fantasy with this new album.

He said that he wasn't proud of Thank Me Later, that he wanted this one to be a complete piece, and the reviews of some of the previewed songs seem very good. I'm pretty sure The Weeknd is involved.

Two People In A Room - Two People In A Room

Two People In A Room is a Berlin-based ambient/drone duo formed by Michelle Hughes & René Margraff in September 2009. I had never heard of them until this album, which captured a certain day of my life instantly. Ambient music needs to be very descriptive in order to penetrate into the unconscious of the listener. There are no vocals, barely any melodies even. The music needs to create an atmosphere so vivid that it fills the entire room with its spirit, yet it must go unnoticed as the shadows over a dirt path - it cannot interfere with your thought process.

Read The Full Review Here

new bomb the music industry! album came out a couple days ago. as always i didn't really like it at first, then after about 5 listens it really grew on me and now i love it. i don't think it's necessarily as good as scambles, but it's definitely a keeper... but then again i hated scrambles when it first came out and it ended up being my favorite btmi! album. hmmmm definitely a grower.

available for free (along with btmi!'s entire back catalog) here: http://quoteunquoterecords.com/qur051.htm

they're my favorite band so i somewhat biasedly strongly recommend. not for everyone i guess but its free,what are you gonna do ask for your money back?

I've already loved David Cook's new album, and Journey's was pretty good too. According to Metactitic, Nickelback, Aerosmith, Adam Lambert, and U2 are due out for new albums by the end of the year, those'll probably have some good stuff. Also, if "Up All Night" is anyhing to judge by, there should be some good to be had on Blink-182's upcoming album, Neighborhoods (to be released Septrember 27th).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)