2015/16 Football/Soccer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Pretty bad game today, bright spots were the defending, especially Casemiro, Pepe, Kompany and Fernando, but it's astonishing how bad Manchester City's pressure system was, and their midfielders were completely absent on the ball today. Madrid didn't play too well either and offensively were very poor, especially on the first half.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
they just aren't the same team without david silva on the pitch for me, need him to dictate and help keep possession. de bruyne could probably do that a bit but he was stuck out wide mostly in a 4-4-2 midfield, so never really could have too much influence on the middle of the park

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
they just aren't the same team without david silva on the pitch for me, need him to dictate and help keep possession. de bruyne could probably do that a bit but he was stuck out wide mostly in a 4-4-2 midfield, so never really could have too much influence on the middle of the park
Yeah, that's kind of true, but even with Silva it felt like Fernando and Fernandinho were just out of the game when City had the ball...

Didn't watch the game but I'm really surprised that Pellegrini always pick Jesus Navas. What does he offer actually because I seem to not being able to see it.
Plus, why is $terling behind Navas in the pecking order? Has his form regressed that badly? (I would celebrate if he did though - not because he left but because the antics him and his agent pulled were appalling)

Anyway, when Ronaldo is back, he will put Man City to the sword at the Bernabeu. (City aren't that good - got thrashed twice by us and only managing a win by penalties when they outplayed us in the Cup final). What has happened to James Rodriguez and Isco?

Last edited:
Didn't watch the game but I'm really surprised that Pellegrini always pick Jesus Navas. What does he offer actually because I seem to not being able to see it.
Plus, why is $terling behind Navas in the pecking order? Has his form regressed that badly? (I would celebrate if he did though - not because he left but because the antics him and his agent pulled were appalling)

Anyway, when Ronaldo is back, he will put Man City to the sword at the Bernabeu. (City aren't that good - got thrashed twice by us and only managing a win by penalties when they outplayed us in the Cup final). What has happened to James Rodriguez and Isco?
Real Madrid prefer using a Central Defensive midfielder, so Casemiro starts.

Navas tracks back defensively, which is important when neither Silva nor Sterling do (as evidenced by Silva's horrid tackle yesterday). Sterling has been hurt, as have Kompany, de Bruyne, Nasri, etc. City's season really was derailed by injuries/a lack of defensive form with Kompany out. They're far better now than the Liverpool thrashings.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Really hope these Nainggolan reports aren't fictitious, he'd be perfect for us. Granovskaia has reportedly targeted Vidal, but I don't see why he'd leave a club like Bayern to play for a club that won't even be in next year's CL just so he can play under Conte. Also came across an article saying AC Milan are set to be acquired by the so called richest guy in China, good for them, if it's true, he could spice up the Italian League and make them one of the best teams in Europe once again.

Random Passerby As a Dortmund fan, I feel nothing but the deepest respect for your club. Sad. But, just like Dortmund, I'm sure you'll win when you get to Anfield. Show Villareal that a team that beats Dortmund is a team that beats the world.

...This is normally where my signature would go. Anyway, on to other matters....

Et tu Mats?

I too respected Dortmund and not just because Klopp is our manager. Let's hope we manage to defeat Villarreal with the advantage of playing at home (and hopefully fully fit attackers).

Have to say I'm really surprised at Hummels's statement. I'm pretty sure he openly criticised Lewandowski and Gotze when they joined Bayern. Now, he's doing exactly the same thing. Yes, I know he came through the Bayern academy but it was at Dortmund that he became a household name.

I too respected Dortmund and not just because Klopp is our manager. Let's hope we manage to defeat Villarreal with the advantage of playing at home (and hopefully fully fit attackers).

Have to say I'm really surprised at Hummels's statement. I'm pretty sure he openly criticised Lewandowski and Gotze when they joined Bayern. Now, he's doing exactly the same thing. Yes, I know he came through the Bayern academy but it was at Dortmund that he became a household name.
the thing with hummels is that he isn't only a bayern youth player, his family, his wife's family all grew up in bavaria so he probably has a lot of pressure to move back. Now that he is at that level its the right time for him to move although I don't know how much actual playing time he will get. Lewandowski fit in just fine, Gotze should have never left, but who knows which one of them will pull a sahin/kagawa and come right on back

If Gotze came back pleading I shall accept him. I am a forgiving angel. Hummels as well.

Really, what Dortmund need is financial muscle. The harsh truth is that money talks, always has done, always will do. They already have a stellar record of turning kids into superstars within a few years, but the fact that they end up at the one team standing between us and the title is just appalling. (RB Leipzig will almost certainly complicate matters within the next decade.)

which one of them will pull a sahin/kagawa and come right on back
Hummels in all honesty never. He's 27 years old and, if he leaves, will most likely sign a 4-5 year contract and retire there.

If Gotze came back pleading I shall accept him. I am a forgiving angel. Hummels as well.

Really, what Dortmund need is financial muscle. The harsh truth is that money talks, always has done, always will do. They already have a stellar record of turning kids into superstars within a few years, but the fact that they end up at the one team standing between us and the title is just appalling. (RB Leipzig will almost certainly complicate matters within the next decade.)

Hummels in all honesty never. He's 27 years old and, if he leaves, will most likely sign a 4-5 year contract and retire there.
Well Kagawa was never used properly at Man Utd and Van Gaal's great philosophy didn't fit him or whatever. Either way, asian players tend to succeed more in Germany than England.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
lol Leicester cheated death today last 10 minutes IMO.

This is it, they crossed their biggest hurdle. Sure they didn't win but this was where they could have fucked up the worst. Now Spurs definitely under pressure tomorrow to win it. Even in the case that they do, the foxes will still have Vardy back next week. Okazaki and Ulloa were anywhere between mediocre to dreadful, today. Actually in light of that props to them for managing the draw.

Bets on them to take it home tomorrow, otherwise on their home game with a Vardy brace probs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)