5 Monsters and a Fairy- A competitive OU team

Hiya smogon, just started my account here on smogon after about a year of competitive play on battle simulators. And today i present to you my current team, a team i think needs help badly:

Now, time to go in-depth:

Metagross @ Lum Berry
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch
- Explosion
I picked him as my lead after testing out many variations of teams and found he was the best choice. He easily takes down other leads while being able to set up sr and explode. His defensives also allow him to take at least one hit, while the lum berry stops anything like sleep powder roserade. Most of the time, I only find him killing the lead poke or if they switch into a new one, then dying without getting sr up, which my pokes really enjoy.

Weavile (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick
- Night Slash
The classic revenge sweeper. I have him on my team because of the usage rate of scarfgon going up, altough he does not have as much use now that alot of dragons are being banished to ubers. He usually only puts a dent in my opponents team, and never really sweeps. I had used him before and found him to be much more useful, which is why i use him now. But now, I find him almost useless, seeing as he cant do much anymore except stop heatran, flygon, and the occasional gliscor.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed
- Energy Ball
- Recover
I noticed this team was missing a sort of stall/wall pokemon, so i decided to go for celebi, the classic "lets use leech seed everywhere" pokemon. I usually start with t-wave then use leech seed, allowing celebi to cause more paralysis. After paralyzing them, and if they choose to stay in with seed, i energy ball them to whittle down their health, and then recover off any damage done to me. I sometimes find him doing more damage than the sweepers, which is probably why I haven't swapped him out for something else yet.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover
The main special sweeper of this team. I chose him because of his ability to recover off life orb damage, and that he has STAB Water attacks. When first testing out the team, I found that he was pretty much the glue to my team- if starmie couldn't put dents in the opponents team, I usually lost.

Melvin (Breloom) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Focus Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Stone Edge
The physical sweeper of my team. Chosen because of how cheap he is, allowing me to get more dents in the opponents team. He usually conflicts with celebi with his sporing, because celebi usually paralyzes alot before I bring out my breloom. In some cases, this is good for the parahax then focus punching, but I personally think this has become the greatest issue of my team. If not alot has been paralyzed, my breloom usually works better, which is why I chose him in the first place.

Dragonite (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 112 Atk / 200 Spd / 196 SAtk
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Superpower
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Roost
I chose this pokemon and its set for one reason and one reason only- I was missing a dragon-type, which most OU teams rely on. He originally was a mence, until the banning of him. After using a physical set on him, I noticed i was missing a mix poke, and was getting walled alot. So, I chose to make him my mixed sweeper. As far as killing anything goes, I usually only use him to lure in walls like skarmory, use a flamethrower or Draco Meteor, then lure in the special wall as a trick, then superpower it. After that is done, he is usually put away in my team never to be used again. He provides very little help, but actually gets his job done.

And that's my team. Originally, this team was just random pokemon thrown together by typage, but it somehow turned out miraculously good. I find myself winning about 85% of the time with it, but I still feel that it could be a lot better. I honestly do no care about anything being changed or pokemon being swapped- It's for the sake of the team. Thanks in advance for any help.
(Sorry for any bad quality- its my first post, still learning all this stuff.)

The thing that suddenly comes to my eyes is that 4 of your Pokémon are weak to Fire. Firstly, I suggest you to use a classic Heatran lead, that will change Metagross' Fire weakness into a precious immunity:
Heatran @ Life Orb
252 Spatk / 252 Speed / 4 SpDef
Timid nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Explosion

It also can lure Blissey and explode allowing Starmie to sweep.
Then, I will change Weavile into something that can be more useful, such as Scarf Infernape which could help you in revengekilling. Also, a see a bit redundant having two grass-types on the same team, but if you say that it works well, then GL. Hope I helped.

I understand that this is your first RMT, but the writing is poor at best. The piece is generally hard to read. Of course, we aren't expecting you to write a novel, or to have a professional editor, but practicing proper grammar is just good practice. Now, onto the team.

First of all, if your Metagross is not doing it's job, change the set. If you really want it to set up rocks, but don't care much about the opponent getting rocks, switch out Explosion for meteor mash. That way, you don't have to choose between setting up rocks and doing massive damage. Against most leads, hit rocks first. If it's a taunter like Aerodactyl or Zelf, attack first and then finish off with BP.

Another problem you need to address is that Flygon absolutely runs train on your team. U-turn hits Weavile, Celebi, and Starmie for a lot of damage, then hits metagross (assuming you still have it) with earthquake, and Dragonite/Breloom with outrage.

I would recommend scarf starmie to take on faster pokemon and then somehting bulkier instead of weavile. It doesn't beat Flygon, and your explanation makes it seem kind of useless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)