7* Raid - Fairy Primarina - May 10-12/17-19

1715301835080.png

Azumarill solos the Soloist Pokemon. This is probably one of the least engaging raids for some reason.

1715302157950.png

The first tera charge steal/buff reset/debuff reset/Encore is all frontloaded, so you can just wait for the first 20% of the timer to pass and you avoid dealing with all that. In conjunction with Sing this is how Primarina wastes your time and puts you to sleep in real life. Afterwards I pray that Sing misses or it picks Moonblast, set up Amnesia, Mud-Slap, try to get my other Amnesias down, the Mud-Slaps, heal up to Belly Drum, and then tera Liquidation until the end, which should be almost unloseable but it does start doubling as usual. AI Bellibolt helped out with Mud Shot speed control and Light Screen, though Azumarill can outspeed with investment. Overall it is basically just a time waster and RNG fest to make it through the first turn, but afterwards it's pretty straightforward with no curveballs for Azumarill, so I only need this one paragraph to describe the whole fight. I still think Primarina should have had Encore in the regular moveset if it was going to be the TM drop.

1715302243564.png
1715302250531.png

1715302274600.png

Also the AI Arboliva has Safeguard. This prevents Primarina from clicking Sing which seems good but may still be a downside especially when relying on accuracy drops to waste turns.

that wasn't too bad

:sv/tinkaton:
Tinkaton @ Shell Bell
Ability: Own Tempo (ability doesn't actually matter)
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gigaton Hammer
- Tera Blast / Sleep Talk
- Skitter Smack

Tinkaton cleared pretty easily. Click Skitter Smack a couple times, Gigaton Hammer if you're feeling frisky, and don't click Swords Dance until after it does its one buff clear. You can juggle SD and Gigaton Hammer too. Sing's low accuracy means you can probably just rely on heal cheers, but if you're feeling REALLY lucky, you can use Sleep Talk over Tera Blast. Primarina doesn't seem too keen on spamming Sing at least, which is nice.

I love this creature so much, clicking Gigaton Hammer is an instant shot of the happy chemicals
Using this and seeing how it goes

Attempt 1: Tinkaton, Gholdengo, Arceus (Steel)

The Arceus I actually messed up by healing when it had Sleep Talk.
Also this thing kept using sing ALL THE TIME. It was maddening. 55% my hide!!

Never the less we all pulled through, and I still used Heal Cheers to keep everyone topped off if we got too low. I actually got the final hit in with a tera-less Hammer which was fun.

nice & easy

I am honestly surprised by absolute lack of boosting move.

No boosting move makes it completely free regardless as long as you resist the main stab or have good enough special bulk to boost and recover.
Well I take the free win I guess....

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Looks like a raid extremely difficult to solo farm efficiently. Like on one hand you probably will not lose this easily. On the other hand the early stat resets and sing spam make this seem extremely difficult to make meaningful early game progress

Even with Gholdengo you kind of have to get lucky. The real problem is that Primarina will use Encore immediately after resetting you, which means you can't even try to Protect against it, so you have to pray that she doesn't use it on you. I only had one run where she targeted me with it and locked me into Flash Cannon. I'm convinced that the only reason I still won is because she kept using Sing instead of Sparkling Aria. I didn't have Light Screen up, so 3 Sparkling Arias would've probably been enough to take out Gholdie. I would give him the Ability Shield and replace Steel Beam with Recover, but I just have a feeling doing that will end up using even more time assuming she doesn't mindlessly spam Sing.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Terrible mismatch of high annoyance because of Sing and low reward because when you beat it, the main emotion is relief as there was no challenge; only RNG irritation.

Ok, I actually think you're better off giving Gholdie max bulk with a modest nature because Primarina's Sparkling Aria hurts like hell and he still hits hard enough to finish her with a good amount of time left.

Tried with Magearna and it was ok.

Once Soul Heart build up it hit like cannon.

Even with Gholdengo you kind of have to get lucky. The real problem is that Primarina will use Encore immediately after resetting you, which means you can't even try to Protect against it, so you have to pray that she doesn't use it on you. I only had one run where she targeted me with it and locked me into Flash Cannon. I'm convinced that the only reason I still won is because she kept using Sing instead of Sparkling Aria. I didn't have Light Screen up, so 3 Sparkling Arias would've probably been enough to take out Gholdie. I would give him the Ability Shield and replace Steel Beam with Recover, but I just have a feeling doing that will end up using even more time assuming she doesn't mindlessly spam Sing.
Try it with Magearna. since you don't have to worry about atk boost. I used fairy tera and the damage is enough. It's also HP rather than SP defense built. Just Calm Mind once.

Just not sure with using sleep talk or misty terrain

Tried with Magearna and it was ok.

Once Soul Heart build up it hit like cannon.

Try it with Magearna. since you don't have to worry about atk boost. I used fairy tera and the damage is enough. It's also HP rather than SP defense built. Just Calm Mind once.

Just not sure with using sleep talk or misty terrain
I do have a Magearna, however she's in gen 7 and I can't transfer it. And I have heard that you can get Magearna from Home, but that requires all Pokemon, including Volcanion, Victini, Hoopa, etc.

I kind of want to build a Tera Steel Snorlax using Uproar and Heavy Slam.

I wonder if the AI will still attempt using Sing if some has used Uproar to block sleep?

Cleared it solo with an Arceus-Steel I had on hand and was too lazy to build anything else at the time. Really nice herba drop rate but Sing RNG really had it out for me to the point I am questioning if I should bother farming this one.

By the way, if you're like me, can't be hassled leveling or gearing up a Pokemon just for this and have a banked up supportive Blissey that you use for raids, even though Blissey cannot learn Misty Terrain, it can learn Electric Terrain which neuters Sing.

I just went with my usual pink blob with Sunny Day, Life Dew, Light Screen and Electric Terrain and carried the first 3 random steel guys I found who were taking 0 damage between sun and LS. Comfy and (almost) free.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
that wasn't too bad

:sv/tinkaton:
Tinkaton @ Shell Bell
Ability: Own Tempo (ability doesn't actually matter)
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gigaton Hammer
- Tera Blast / Sleep Talk
- Skitter Smack

Tinkaton cleared pretty easily. Click Skitter Smack a couple times, Gigaton Hammer if you're feeling frisky, and don't click Swords Dance until after it does its one buff clear. You can juggle SD and Gigaton Hammer too. Sing's low accuracy means you can probably just rely on heal cheers, but if you're feeling REALLY lucky, you can use Sleep Talk over Tera Blast. Primarina doesn't seem too keen on spamming Sing at least, which is nice.

I love this creature so much, clicking Gigaton Hammer is an instant shot of the happy chemicals
I have solo'ed it twice with this Sleep Talk Tinkaton that Arcticblast posted, without any resetting for NPC's or anything special like that. It's kinda slow going, but I never really worried about fainting or anything. Primarina used Sing a LOT on me, and it has not missed it EVER. Incredible, literally. But with Sleep Talk, it's not a big deal. And I gotta admit, it's pretty sweet that not only can Sleep Talk call Gigaton Hammer multiple times in a row (it is really wonderful when that happens!) but when it calls GigHammer, it doesn't use GigHammer's limited PP. Even PP-maxed, it's easy to get low on GigHammers with Tink in normal raids, but on this one, I have PP for days, lol!

Just did it with some randoms online a few hours ago with Garganacl, Wide Guard spam OP.

As long as your allies are steel types Primarina will just keep spamming Sparkling Aria to no effect, there was also a Cresselia using Lunar Blessing. It kept dying though since Primarina could Moonblast it.

Took a couple tries before I got a competent team, but eventually won with a group of my Galar Slowking, Alcremie, Clodsire, and Copperajah. Clodsire didn't really do much besides set up with Curse before spamming Poison Jab, the Alcremie and Copperajah definitely carried their weight. Alcremie had Sweet Veil to protect us all from sleep, no matter how many turns the Primarina wasted trying to sing at us, while boosting me and Copperajah with Decorate. Copperajah was surprisingly competent, using Snarl (which I didn't know it could learn) whenever Primarina cleared itself and eventually spamming Heavy Slam, which did good damage after tera steel and some Decorate boosts. I started off with Light Screen before going into Acid Sprays, Calm Minds, and Sludge Bombs. Caught in a Dream Ball because sleep hax.

This raid has exposed another hole in the AI in that Primarina doesn't seem to recognize Liquid Voice Sing as being ineffective on revealed Water Absorb/Storm Drain. The rest of this post will not be about a Water Absorb user though as there's lots of coverage on that already.

1715383270345.png

https://stevecooktu.github.io/sv_raid_lookup/
The raid script shows this raid is 550 seconds or 9 minutes 10 seconds for some reason, between the usual 7m30 and 10m. The other main threat Primarina has is the shield covering 50% of its HP.

1715386727914.png
1715385842056.png

The main highlight of this post is that Marill solos Primarina too, establishing full Water/Fairy dominance. At first I thought this would be difficult due to the opening stat check of taking multiple Moonblast hits not being possible without Eviolite, which would mean not having Shell Bell healing in the endgame. I decided to roll for AI and was looking for Gardevoir's Life Dew healing to allow me to run Eviolite, but I ended up getting Sylveon + Bellibolt for maximum special damage mitigation, so I stuck with Shell Bell.

1715386699306.png
1715386704774.png

This applies to both Marill and Azumarill, but out of the natural tera options, going Fairy or Water probably doesn't really matter too much, but Liquidation has the chance of a defense drop and doesn't miss compared to Play Rough, and also resists the chance of Sparkling Aria from random double attacks though at that point it doesn't matter too much.

1715387532672.png
1715387566682.png

I ended up using an efficient strategy that saves all the initial real time wasted and gets right into the action by trying to use Belly Drum T1 and getting either Moonblasted or Sung. If I get Moonblast or Sing misses, then I can safely set an attack cheer and die on turn 2 to preserve both the offense and AI defense cheer for the rest of the battle, which fortunately cuts the timer down to right before the shield phase, and effectively gives me the bulk of Eviolite and the offense to match an Azumarill. If I get put to sleep, then Moonblast will take 2 turns to kill after the defense cheer which is not optimal but still works. Afterwards I just try to set up Amnesia and Mud-Slap again and hope for no long sleeps, but I decided to only take 2 Amnesias to save time because I could take the hits, and then just spam Liquidation as usual. I did end up using a heal cheer for a safe Belly Drum, and also late in the fight where it landed Sing on the turn I broke the shield and I just burned a heal cheer to cure it.

1715387574592.png
1715387557154.png

Overall I still don't like the approach they took here, but at least you can get around the dead time with the timely opportunity to die immediately and also preserve both cheers.

I also noticed that Primarina being able to sleep the AI also makes their potential support slightly less effective as one of the only things that actually prevents their move from going off, aside from outspeeding and KOing.

Last edited:
I ass blasted Primarina with Delphox. I used role play to copy an allied Vaporeon’s Water Absorb, and the AI could not figure out to stop spamming sing.

Nasty Plot, Mystical Fire, Light Screen, Role Play. Passho Berry. Tera Fire. Berry for the one turn you get your ability cleared.

You know, I actually just realized something. Assuming Incineroar will be the type I think he'll be (and I'm pretty sure you guys don't need me to tell you what it is), Primarina may end up being the perfect counter to him. She resists both of his base STABs and if he has Iron Head, whether pre or post Tera, Flare Blitz still does more damage.

0 Atk Incineroar Iron Head vs. 6 HP / 252 Def Primarina: 62-74 (20.5 - 24.5%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
0 Atk Incineroar Flare Blitz vs. 6 HP / 252 Def Primarina: 69-82 (22.8 - 27.1%) -- 53.9% chance to 4HKO

0 Atk Incineroar Iron Head vs. 6 HP / 252 Def Tera Fairy Primarina: 124-148 (41 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Incineroar Flare Blitz vs. 6 HP / 252 Def Tera Fairy Primarina: 139-165 (46 - 54.6%) -- 55.1% chance to 2HKO

And while those post Tera calcs may look scary... Well, Primarina's a water type, so guess what move she learns? And it'll be even better if you get Intimade allies. And since this Primarina is already Tera Fairy, you won't even have to do any shard farming or use any up.

But we'll just have to wait and see. For all we know, he may not be the Tera Type I'm thinking.

Last edited:

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I don't know what Tera type you mean and I can only guess you mean Fighting, but Primarina is the current event so let's talk about Primarina instead. I think about Incineroar enough when I play VGC

Entrainment Water Absorb Araquanid.

You can make your teammates immortal, because the AI is extremely stupid, and spams water-type sing into water absorb over and over again. His movepool is ass, though, so your teammates need to bring enough dmg to win once you give them immortality.

By the way, if you're like me, can't be hassled leveling or gearing up a Pokemon just for this and have a banked up supportive Blissey that you use for raids, even though Blissey cannot learn Misty Terrain, it can learn Electric Terrain which neuters Sing.

I just went with my usual pink blob with Sunny Day, Life Dew, Light Screen and Electric Terrain and carried the first 3 random steel guys I found who were taking 0 damage between sun and LS. Comfy and (almost) free.
I went with this set but with Helping Hand over Sunny Day, and I was able to beat it online second try with a Zacian-C, a Perrserker, and a Clodsire. I used 44 Speed EVs to outpace Primarina so that Blissey can set up Light Screen and especially Electric Terrain before it can move; the reduced bulk is inconsequential.

For those that have the DLC for Violet I wonder if this can Solo consistently

:SV/Iron-Crown:
Shell Bell
Tera Steel
252 SpA / 252 SpD / 6 HP
Modest Nature

Tachyon Cutter
Steel Beam / Flash Cannon
Calm Mind
Electric Terrain

Not only will Electric Terrain block Sing, it will also activate Quark Drive and boost his damage. It helps he's more durable than Gholdengo. Really stupid that he can't learn Light Screen though. He also doesn't quite hit as hard as Gholdie, but that's only if you're using a max SpA Gholdengo, and like I said before, you can solo this with a max bulk build. And at +3 Tachyon Cutter is actually stronger than a +6 Flash Cannon from a max bulk Gholdengo.

+6 252+ SpA Gholdengo Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tera Fairy Primarina: 1028-1212 (341.5 - 402.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 6+ SpA Gholdengo Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tera Fairy Primarina: 852-1004 (283 - 333.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+3 252+ SpA Quark Drive Iron Crown Tachyon Cutter (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tera Fairy Primarina: 984-1156 (326.9 - 384%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)