A team with no name!-1st OU Team.

Greetings people of Smogon! This is my first team for OU, an offensive team, centered around DD T-tar.

TEAM AT A GLANCE

Gliscor @ Lum berry
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP/252 Spe/4 Atk
Jolly nature
-Stealth Rock
-Taunt
-Earthquake
-Roost
----
Lead Gliscor. Taunt messes up set-ups, especially bulky waters, making Shaymin's or in Gyarados's case, Flygon's job easier. It has proven to be a good partner to my team and sets up rocks well enough.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: water absorb
EVs: 188 HP/252 Def/68 SpDef
bold nature
-protect
-wish
-roar
-surf
----
Wish support Vaporeon. This can be a real asset to my team and keeping them alive with wish. Protect is used to keep Vaporeon itself alive, and roar is to phaze other sweepers mainly dd gyarados since I can already take care of gyarados. Surf is for STAB.

Tyranitar @ Lum berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
Jolly Nature
-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake
-Stone edge
-Crunch
----
Tyranitar is the first Pokémon of my core, and what I built my team around. Once safe to come in (when Scizor is removed), Tyranitar sets up a DD and sweeps. Lum berry gives T-tar more options to come in and set up, such as coming into Rotom-A’s shadow ball and blocking will-o-wisp, allowing T-tar to set up and crunch it. Scizor is T-tar’s sworn enemy, which like I said before, must be removed before T-tar can be successful, which is what the rest of my core does. Stone edge is primary STAB, Crunch is Secondary STAB, and EQ is for coverage.

Shaymin @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural cure
EVs: 68 SpAtk/188 Spe/252 HP
Timid Nature
-Seed flare
-leech seed
-protect
-Hidden Power (Fire)
----
The second pokemon of my core. Was originally Gengar, but seeing he only seemed to do one job, luring scizor, and with scizor's usage down, I decided to switch to LO Shaymin, then to leech seed shaymin under reccomendation. This solves my problem with bulky waters, more specifically, my bulky suicune problem, and I can still trap scizor as well as I could with gengar. Protect allows shaymin to scout moves and leech seed can help defeat stall and keep shaymin healthy.

Gyrardos @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP/72 Atk/96 Def/184 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Dragon dance
-Stone edge
-Bounce
-Waterfall
----
Gyarados is the final Pokémon of my core, and the solution to remaining threats. Seeing Shaymin has CB scizor covered well enough, I was able to replace magnezone with gyarados. Gyarados counters Agility Lucario, along with machamp and SD scizor. Bounce is to defeat LO shaymin. bulky DD gyarados is a great partner to DD t-tar by switching into each other's threats. Yes, I know this gives me another electric weakness, but that just gives flygon or shaymin (if it is a bulky water using HP electric) an easier time coming in.

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 SpD
Jolly Nature
-U-Turn
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Thunder Punch
----
Ah, Choice Scarf Flygon, Now one of my favorite Pokémon to use. After I had my core and lead(s)
I had one more hole to fill, and this Pokémon fit the bill perfectly. U-turn works wonders, allowing me to scout the opponent, and deciding what my next move should be. STAB from outrage allows me to destroy the remaining dragons of OU, and EQ is for coverage. Thunder Punch Resolves my bulky Gyarados issue, which as I have said, causes me problems. This thing almost always defeats at least one Pokémon per game, and has performed very well on my team.

So, what do you think? Feel free to suggest anything for my team!

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Offensive Suicune.

A goddamn BIG offensive Suicune weakness.

Same goes to offensive Gyarados, except that the weakness to offensive Gyarados is SO HUGE you can't even not see it.

In short, you have a bulky waters weakness, Magnezone is not enough, especially if bulky Suicune managed to get a couple Calm Minds.

To fix this problem, you need to replace Gengar with a Shaymin, offensive or defensive.

Shaymin @ Life Orb
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid
Seed Flare | Earth Power | Hidden Power Fire [Scizor, Celebi,] / Electric [Gyarados, Skarmory] | Rest

This will help you get rid of annoying bulky waters, and especially Suicune.

I also suggest using ThunderPunch > Stone Edge on Flygon.

Now to other weaknesses, I am seeing another big weakness to Luario, and especially Agility Lucario, because one agility and it'll flat out OHKO every single member of your team with a combination of Ice Punch / Close Combat / Crunch.

Because of that, i suggest switching Tyranitar to Gyarados, who can counter Lucario.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly
Dragon Dance | Earthquake | Stone Edge / Ice Fang | Waterfall

You also have no spinner, but it's not really that necessary if you don't mind Gyarados losing 25% upon switching in. :P

Your team will have problems with starmie. and also opposing scarfed flygon's I would like to point out that 3 of your pokemon are weak to Ice, and 2 are weak to EQ. No, i can't think of one pokemon that carries both of thoxse move types very often, but I can think of several pairings that can. It also seems that once Gliscor is out of the way, Heatran should be able to sweep your entire team pretty easily. I would suggest replacing Shaymin as it gets revenge killed by a lot of things including scizor whos usage is not really down that much and is still a great pokemon.

With Machamp gone and Shaymin weakened (and a bit for Gliscor), Mamoswine eats your team alive. It's not commonly seen, but you'll lose 100% if you run into one.

The fact that you lack a bulky water of your own means common boltbeam + coverage against Magnezone (some ground move, or fighting) means you are again at opponent's mercy. This team isn't fantastic against Stall either, as Magnezone will be its prime target (or Skarmory just runs Shed Shell, uncommon on stall, but not too uncommon).

Taunt is a much better option on Gliscor than U-Turn: its common switch-ins (bulky waters, set-up users, etc) don't enjoy it, and neither does stall. It can stop Sub-Gengars from doing their job, since, Sub-Gengar just ruins your team too as long as Focus Blast doesn't miss.

Lack of effective ways to kill Heatran is also bad. Magnezone can't switch in/do anything, and wrong plays with Flygon will let it be KO in 2 hits from Fire Blast, and TTar can't set up very well fearing Earth Power (and even more so if it's LO Tran).

All this is easily checked by slapping Suicune on your team. I'd rather lead with Yache Gliscor (so it doesn't die to Swampert), and have Suicune replace Machamp. Your team doesn't need an anti-lead, since no one is particularly SR weak. Suicune fantastically checks all bulky waters, stall without effective phazer other than Skarmory (since you have Magnezone), and Heatran. Either offensive or defensive works, either Crocune or CM + 3 attacks.

I'm going to sound quite repetitive here, seeing as I make this suggestion all the time, but I think it would be well worth your time to try out a Leech Seed + Protect Shaymin set over your current one. LO Shaymin is a pretty good sweeper, but it is generally quite predictable and can be stopped by special walls. The Leech Seed set fixes up some of your problems with stall, and allows Shaymin to provide team support by healing your other team members. Additionally, it will often be able to survive more easily than the LO set does due to its higher amount of bulk. Here is the set:

[box]

Shaymin @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 68 SpA / 188 Spe
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Seed Flare
- Hidden Power Fire[/box]
With Leftovers and Leech Seed, Shaymin should be able to keep itself healthy throughout the course of the match. Protect is actually a very useful move on this set; it allows you to scout opposing attacks and gain extra turns of recovery. This works especially well against some of Shaymin's common switch-ins, such as Heatran or choiced U-turners. Seed Flare provides you with a solid STAB attack, while HP Fire OHKOs Scizor and prevents you from being walled by opposing Steel-types. The lack of Earth Power on this set may seem a bit off-putting, but Heatran shouldn't be too much of a problem considering that Tyranitar can set up on it relatively safely. Overall, this is a more support oriented set that still manages to maintain a lot of offensive momentum.

Good luck!

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Your team will have problems with starmie. and also opposing scarfed flygon's I would like to point out that 3 of your pokemon are weak to Ice, and 2 are weak to EQ. No, i can't think of one pokemon that carries both of thoxse move types very often, but I can think of several pairings that can. It also seems that once Gliscor is out of the way, Heatran should be able to sweep your entire team pretty easily. I would suggest replacing Shaymin as it gets revenge killed by a lot of things including scizor whos usage is not really down that much and is still a great pokemon.
Disagree.

Heatran can't hurt Tyranitar except if it has Hidden Power Fighting.

Earth Power barely 2HKOs.

Hey I got your message, cool team! Like many teams that rely on this or similar cores, mixed water types (or indeed, most water types at all) will cause problems. Shaymin alleviates this problem somewhat, but many water types can get around this (Gyarados with Bounce, Kingdra with dragon moves, LO Starmie with Ice Beam) with a little previous damage. Infernape is also a big problem if Flygon is dead or if he has some priority- without Flygon, you get 6-0'd. I'd also watch out for Offensive DD + Extremespeed Dragonite, who also poses a real head ache to this team with only one dragon resist, one neutered by SuperPower or Earthquake.

I think something that would help these weaknesses would be a standard Wish Support Vaporeon.

@ Leftovers
188 HP / 252 Def / 68 SpDef
Bold
-Wish
-Protect
-Surf
-Roar

She completes the classic Gliscor+Tyranitar+Vaporeon core and patches up many annoying threats. I'd avocate replacing this over Machamp. Anti-leads really have to be anti-metagame, and everyone is prepared to the point of paranoia against him after his spike in usage in past months. He does little to add synergy to the team and counters Pokemon well managed by the rest of the team (Tyranitar, Blissey etc.) So I think that Gliscor would make a fine lead for this team and that you could use Vaporeon in Gliscor's spot. The final slot belongs to Roar to handle all set-up sweepers reasonably well, including all of the threats mentioned. This does leave you somewhat open to Taunt Gyarados, but his coverage move is either Earthquake or Bounce and thus Shaymin and Magnezone handle him, respectively.

That's all the advice I have, awesome team. Hope this helps!

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Cool team.

Threats

• SD Scizor
  • Slight LO/Offensive Shaymin Weakness
  • Substitute Machamp
Rating upon request from OP. First of all, before I get to the actual rate, just going to say sorry for getting this rate quite a bit later than the date you requested it! Anyways; at this point your team seems pretty solid, especially after the great rates given by the previous raters, however, even in this late stage I see a couple of Pokemon which will give your team problems if they find the right opportunity to switch in and set up (if possible for the Pokemon to do so). Even though you have Magnazone and a whole bunch of other Pokemon to help deal with Scizor, your team is still quite vulnerable to swords dance variants as if they are able to pull off a swords dance late in the battle, when you Pokemon have already taken previous damage it is almost guaranteed that you'll be losing many of your Pokemon, if not all of them, in an attempt to defeat a +2 Scizor. Also, along with swords dance Scizor, your team is noticeably weak to offensive Shaymin as the little Pokemon can (with a bit of support from its teammates in the form of entry hazards) create hell for your team if it is utilized as a late game sweeper. Lastly, your team is significantly weak to the likes of offensive Machamp, specifically substitute variants as with Dynamic Punch and Stone Edge, it can create major dents in your team, seeing as all of your Pokemon are 2HKOed if not OHKOed by either of the aforementioned moves.

Solutions

• Bulky Dragon Dance Gyarados
[box]

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP/72 Atk/96 Def/184 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk,-SpAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Bounce / Taunt
- Waterfall[/box]
Fortunately, all of these threats can be handled by one Pokemon - Gyarados. Normally, on such a team I would suggest replacing Tyranitar for Gyarados as they function similarly, but seeing as you've constructed this team with Tyranitar as the basis, I'll suggest replacing Magnazone for Gyarados as it probably not be needed as Gyarados does it's job of checking Scizor while also presenting an immediate offensive threat to the opponent's team. The set I recommend is the bulky dragon dance set (as shown above), for several reasons: first of all, it can easily check the aforementioned threats, as both Scizor and Machamp are handled easily by a combination of Gyarados' physical bulk and its ability, Intimidate while Shaymin can be dealt with by utilizing Bounce (although if you think you've got Shaymin covered, Taunt can be utilized in this moveslot as it will help with stall teams as well as giving Gyarados more opportunities to set up). I hope this has helped, and good luck!

Your team is very weak to LO Jolteon (w/out Baton Pass) and if any of those Pokemon survive, they'll die to Gengar. They can outspeed your entire team and not give them a chance to set-up. Jolteon can definitely OHKO Vaproeon and Gyarados without a problem, and will cripple the rest of your team if not kill them. If Jolteon has HP Grass, Tyranitar and maybe Gliscor will go down without a problem. With HP Ice, all of your team will die except for Tyranitar (but he will still be hit hard), and Gengar will take care of the rest with either Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, or Focus Blast. So I'll suggest a standard Mixed sweeper Infernape.

Stab thunderbolt hits ttar harder then hp grass (142.5 vs 140), and gliscor isnt dying to hp grass anytime soon. I do however agree that hp ice jolt can be a threat, especially if it catches flygon on the switch. However shayman isnt 1hkod and ttar can check it if he has no other options so i wouldnt say its a big problem.

I cant really find much wrong with this team except breloom and dragonite might be dicks (breloom sets up on vappy, ttar, and flygon locked into eq while dnite sets up on shaymin and flygon). To fix this try ice beam on vappy because honestly i dont know what roar is doing for you without spikes.

Gliscor and Flygon on the same team gives you a nasty ice weakness. Shaymin further compounds it. Top it off with Gliscor and Tyranitar both being weak to water, you may find yourself having a problem with a very common attacking combo.

Hi. I do not have much to suggest, other than a simple change of lead. Using Gliscor is usually for its ability to break stall, its ability to beat Lucario, and to a lesser extent Scizor, alongside its electric immunity. However, between both Gyarados and Flygon, you have all of these problems covered comfortably. Therefore I think Gliscor can be replaced. The lead I had in mind plays a lot differently to Gliscor and has the ability to lure out a number of Tyranitar counters and deal with them, hopefully making a Tyranitar sweep that much easier. The lead I suggest is a simple Life Orb Heatran. Two of the biggest threats to a Tyranitar sweep are Swampert and Machamp. A Life Orb Heatran lead has the ability to OHKO both increasing the chances of a Tyranitar sweep. While both of those leads are definitely dropping in %, they are still fairly common and Heatran has the ability to OHKO both of them off the bat. Heatran also has the ability to do around 50% to Scarf Flygon, meaning that it can be weakened for a Tyranitar sweep.

Heatran @ Life Orb
Rash | Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Overheat / Stealth Rock / Hidden Power [Grass] / Explosion

Machamp and Swampert are dealt by Overheat and HP Grass respectively. Heatran is also a very good switch-in to Scizor's Bullet Punch and a Dragon Dance Tyranitar runs into a lot of those.

Another idea you might want to try is a Shuca Berry and Ice Punch on Tyranitar. I will leave that up to you though. Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)