Monotype Alolan Marowak (Ghost)

[OVERVIEW]

Ghost
========

* Boasting an incredible Attack stat with Thick Club, Alolan Marowak is one of the best wallbreakers Ghost has. * Alolan Marowak is one of the only two Stealth Rock setters for Ghost.
* With Lightning Rod, it can absorb Electric-type attacks, which can make the opponent lose momentum.
* Alolan Marowak's typing gives it useful resistances to Steel and Fairy and an immunity to Will-O-Wisp.
* Its typing added with Ground coverage makes Alolan Marowak a decent check to Fire-types.
* However, Alolan Marowak has a poor base 45 Speed stat, meaning it can be outsped by the majority of the metagame.
* Its typing gives it weaknesses to common coverage like Ground and Rock
* Alolan Marowak's damage output is halved without Thick Club.
* Its moveset, while decent, is very linear, so Alolan Marowak can be very predictable.
* Alolan Marowak's bulk is average, with a decent base 110 Defense stat but a poor base 60 HP and base 80 Special Defense stats.
* Without the ability Rock Head, Alolan Marowak's Stealth Rock weakness with Flare Blitz's recoil makes it vulnerable to chip and residual damage.

[SET]
name: Utility Wallbreaker (Ghost)
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Shadow Bone
move 3: Flare Blitz / Fire Punch
move 4: Bonemerang / Knock Off
item: Thick Club
ability: Lightning Rod
nature: Adamant
evs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Stealth Rock is used to help the team by punishing the opponent's team if they switch out. Stealth Rock damage lets Alolan Marowak OHKO Mega Charizard X, Mega Charizard Y, and Torkoal, and it also helps other Pokemon like Chandelure and Mimikyu have an easier time sweeping.
* Shadow Bone gives Alolan Marowak a STAB move that can hit the majority of Pokemon without any drawbacks.
* Flare Blitz is the most powerful STAB attack Alolan Marowak has access to, which dents the majority of walls, including Mega Venusaur and Clefable.
* Fire Punch is an alternative option over Flare Blitz for no recoil damage; however, it is a drop in damage, and Alolan Marowak loses the ability to 2HKO Mega Venusaur and Clefable.
* Bonemerang is a coverage move to help with Rock- and Fire-types that normally wall Alolan Marowak, such as Tyranitar and Heatran.
* Knock Off is a utility move that cripples item reliant switch-ins such as Porygon2, other Eviolite users, Choice Scarf users, and Pokemon with Leftovers.

Set Details
========

* Maximum Attack investment allows Alolan Marowak to deal as much damage as possible.
* 44 Speed EVs allow Alolan Marowak to outspeed non-invested base 50 Speed Pokemon such as Alolan Muk and Azumarill.
* The remaining EVs are placed into HP to reduce as much damage as possible while also reducing recoil from Flare Blitz.
* An Adamant nature is preferred to boost Alolan Marowak's damage.
* Thick Club is crucial to double Alolan Marowak's Attack.
* Lightning Rod gives Alolan Marowak. an immunity to Electric-type attacks, effectively countering the majority of Electric-type Pokemon.

Usage Tips
========
* Try and switch in against walls that do little damage as frequently as possible. This allows Alolan Marowak to have an almost free turn if they stay in to deal damage or set up Stealth Rock.
* Use Alolan Marowak early-game to take out as many Pokemon as possible that are trying to set up entry hazards such as Torkoal.
* Switch in Alolan Marowak against Electric-type moves, as Alolan Marowak counters most Electric-types. This gives Alolan Marowak an opportunity to deal damage.
* Using Alolan Marowak to sweep is not recommended, as it is easily revenge killed.
* If Alolan Marowak gets an opportunity where the opponent is forced to switch out, set up Stealth Rock unless they have no choice but to sack a wincon, where Alolan Marowak can use an attacking move.
* Use Knock Off against Pokemon that are extremely reliant on their items, such as Chansey or Porygon2. Using Knock Off to remove Leftovers can also help Will-O-Wisp users such as Mega Sableye and Gourgeist deal residual damage without the foe recovering it back.
* Do not let the opponent use Knock Off against Alolan Marowak, as it takes a lot of damage and loses its Thick Club, which is important because losing it halves Alolan Marowak's Attack. Getting Thick Club removed in other ways like Switcheroo or Trick also cripples Alolan Marowak's Attack.
* Only use Flare Blitz against Pokemon that resist Alolan Marowak's other moves, such as Mandibuzz and Staraptor, or against walls like Mega Venusaur and Chansey.

Team Options
========

* Mega Sableye is an excellent partner, as Alolan Marowak benefits from Mega Sableye's ability to absorb Knock Off and is able to keep hazards away with Magic Bounce. Mega Sableye also has access to Will-O-Wisp, so Alolan Marowak can have an easier time switching into physical attacks. * Gourgeist-XL is great for tanking Water-, Ground-, and physical Rock-type attacks well and can punish foes with Will-O-Wisp, while Alolan Marowak can remove Pokemon that try to set up entry hazards or Taunt Gourgeist XL.
* Gengar is a great offensive partner, as it can remove some of the threats that Alolan Marowak has trouble facing such as Hydreigon and Tapu Fini due to its high Speed and diverse movepool. Gengar also has the additional utility of Destiny Bond, which can remove a specific threat that is stopping Alolan Marowak.
* Jellicent is a great partner, as it absorbs Water-type moves with Water Absorb and is able to use Toxic and Scald for burns. Jellicent benefits from Alolan Marowak being able to absorb Grass- and Electric-type moves as well as remove Poison- and Steel-types, which are immune to Toxic.
* Dhelmise and Decidueye are good partners, since they absorb Water- and Ground-type moves while being able to remove entry hazards with Rapid Spin or Defog.
* Mimikyu is a good partner as it has an immunity to Dragon-type moves, access to Swords Dance, and benefits from Alolan Marowak's ability to remove walls such as Skarmory.
* Golurk's access to Stealth Rock can allow Alolan Marowak to use another coverage move such as Bonemerang, Knock Off or Stone Edge. Alolan Marowak can also have added wallbreaking potential with Swords Dance.
* Alolan Marowak fits very well in Trick Room with its low Speed, making Pokemon like Cofagrigus and other Trick Room users good options. When running Trick Room, use other Pokemon that utilize Trick Room such as Hoopa or Dhelmise. * Doublade is a decent partner because it can absorb Rock-type moves like Stone Edge while benefiting from Alolan Marowak's offensive presence.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Ghost
--------
* Maximum Speed and a Jolly nature can be optimal in certain situations, such as outspeeding invested Azumarill and base 85 Speed Pokemon like Tapu Fini; however, Alolan Marowak's extra bulk can help in more situations, like taking a Draco Meteor from Hydreigon at full health.
* Due to Alolan Marowak being the only Ghost-type with Will-O-Wisp and Stealth Rock, it can be used as a specially defensive utility Pokemon. However, this set lacks a lot of power, reliable recovery, and can be setup fodder for Fire-type Pokemon.
* Rock Head can be used to negate Flare Blitz recoil; however, this does cause Alolan Marowak to be hit neutrally by Electric-types, which makes it significantly less useful against Electric-types.
* Stone Edge is an option for Alolan Marowak to do more damage against Flying-types such as Zapdos and Mantine, and when combined with Bonemerang, gives Alolan Marowak incredible coverage. However, this can cause four-moveslot syndrome and is a loss of Stealth Rock or a STAB move.
* Swords Dance is an option for added wallbreaking potential; however, the loss of Stealth Rock or a coverage move is generally not worth the extra damage.

Checks and Counters
===================

Ghost
--------
**Tyranitar**: Tyranitar takes little damage from Alolan Marowak's STAB attacks, can survive a Bonemerang, and can Pursuit trap Alolan Marowak.

**Tapu Fini**: Tapu Fini can take a Shadow Bone fairly well and can deal a lot of damage to Alolan Marowak with Surf. Tapu Fini can also use Defog to remove the Stealth Rock that Alolan Marowak sets.

**Water-types**: Although the majority of Water-types can't switch in, Pokemon like Keldeo, Greninja, and other fast Water-types can revenge kill Alolan Marowak with Scald or Hydro Pump.

**Ground-types**: The majority of Ground-types can't switch into Alolan Marowak, but Pokemon like Excadrill and Mamoswine can OHKO it with Earthquake.

**Rock-types**: Rock-types can't switch in if Alolan Marowak carries Bonemerang, but Pokemon such as Nihilego and Terrakion can KO it with Power Gem, Rock Slide, or Stone Edge.

**Dragon-types**: Dragon-types like Dragonite, Hydreigon, and Garchomp can take the damage that Alolan Marowak deals and remove Alolan Marowak with their STAB attacks or coverage moves such as Earthquake and Dark Pulse.

**Dark-types**: The majority of Dark-types such as Greninja and Hydreigon can outspeed and OHKO Alolan Marowak with their super effective STAB moves.

**Physical Walls**: Physical walls that do not take super effective damage from Alolan Marowak's STAB moves can wall it fairly easily, such as Mandibuzz, Quagsire, Rotom-W, and Porygon2 and all of them can remove Alolan Marowak with Foul Play or STAB Water-type attacks. However, the latter can have its Eviolite Knocked Off and can take a lot of damage if Alolan Marowak has enough Speed to outspeed it. Mandibuzz, Quagsire and Rotom-W can also lose their Leftovers or Rocky Helmet with Knock Off.

**Faster Pokemon**: Even though the majority of faster Pokemon get 2HKOed by Alolan Marowak, faster Pokemon with high offensive power such as Alolan Raichu or Alakazam can deal heavy damage to Alolan Marowak.

**Stealth Rock**: Stealth Rock hinders Alolan Marowak, as it takes 25% from Stealth Rock, and with the combination of Flare Blitz recoil, can add up damage very quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Overview:
- Mention that Fire typing + Bonemerang makes Alolan Marowak a pretty decent check to Fire-types.
- Add that its bulk is pretty mediocre.
- Note that its Stealth Rock weakness is compounded by Flare Blitz recoil, making it very vulnerable to chip damage.

Set:
- Just two comments, first this isn't a stallbreaker. It's a wallbreaker.
- Second, Bonemerang > Earthquake for breaking Focus Sash and Substitute along with Magnezone's Sturdy.

[SET]
name: Utility Stallbreaker
move 3: Flare Blitz

Moves:
- Change Earthquake to Bonemerang. You can leave a note about using Earthquake over Bonemerang, though.
- Add that Bonemerang generally does a lot of damage to Fire-types, which Alolan Marowak can check.
- As an example, with Knock Off, Alolan Marowak can beat Porygon2.

Set Details:
- Explain that Lightning Rod gives Alolan Marowak its Electric immunity, allowing it to counter almost all Electric-types.

Usage Tips:
- Add a note about being careful about switching into Stealth Rock, as together with Flare Blitz, it will wear down Alolan Marowak.
- Have a line or two about Knock Off. In particular, using it early-game to remove items from Pokemon as they switch in. You can decide whether that had enough substance or whether it's better to make a separate tip about using Knock Off against walls, as many are reliant on their items, such as Chansey and Porygon2.
- Speaking of Knock Off, mention that Alolan Marowak, more than even most Ghost-types, needs to avoid it because it needs Thick Club for damage.

Team Options:
- Add Dhelmise and Decidueye for entry hazard removal. Both can check Water-, Rock-, and Ground-types that threaten Alolan Marowak too
- Add Mimikyu for beating Dragon-types that often wall Alolan Marowak. Furthermore, Alolan Marowak's wallbreaking power and Stealth Rock support make it easier for Mimikyu to set up and sweep.
- Add that Golurk can open up a moveslot for Alolan Marowak to use more coverage.
- Make note that Marowak also fits very nicely on Trick Room teams, so setters such as Cofagrigus and other attackers like Hoopa are also great teammates.

Other Options:
- I don't think Substitute + Swords Dance is viable enough tbh.
- Add that there's a specially defensive set that can be used with Will-O-Wisp, but the set lacks power and is generally less useful.
- Add Rock Head for letting Alolan Marowak use Flare Blitz without recoil. Of course, without Lightning Rod's Electric immunity, Alolan Marowak isn't as useful.
- Add Stone Edge, which lets Alolan Marowak do more damage to Flying-types, notably without recoil too. If used with Earthquake, it forms the powerful EdgeQuake combination as well.

Checks and Counters:
- Add that Tapu Fini can also Defog the Stealth Rock that Alolan Marowak sets.
- Faster Pokemon should go here.
- Physical walls should just be a group together. So move Mandibuzz and Rotom-W into this section and add other examples like Porygon2 and Quagsire.
- I'd group Dragon-types, so combine Dragonite and Hydreigon. Add Garchomp to the list.
- Stealth Rock should be added at the very bottom, since it really hinders Alolan Marowak.

Nice work QC 1/3

I like the analysis! I've been using a Jolly Marowak-A that uses Flame Charge on mono ghost and it's been REALLY helpful for me. I'm no monotype expert at all, but this is the set I use and just wanted to share. Feel free to give some feedback, I'd love to improve with Ghost, it's been a real fun type.

Bellatrix (Marowak-Alola) (F) @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 122 HP / 128 Atk / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flame Charge
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Stealth Rock

Marowak is my SR setter of course, but the EVs and nature are designed to OHKO Heatran (when outsped) with Bonemerang and to live the opposing EPower. Against steel teams, it takes a single successful Flame Charge to wreak havoc when Heatran is out of the picture. Alongside Marowak-a, Water Absorb Jellicent takes on a more offensive role and equips Choice Specs to form a formidable offensive core with beautiful defensive synergy. *If air balloon Heatran still exists, just be sure to predict the switch to Jellicent - you don't want Maro taking any additional EPowers. Celesteela lives the Flame Charges but doesn't do anything quite strong enough to outlive Maro so far in my experience. I'm sure there's an exception out there somewhere.

Bug (which never fails to lead with Galvantula) has a hard time with this as well. I've 6-0d a few Galvantula-led bug teams after setting rocks and flame charging. Since Maro can't OHKO Armaldo, Jellicent can come in and solve the problem or you could even switch to Mega Sable to counter the could be rocks.

This set also helps with Ghost, if you pick up enough speed to Shadow Bone a team to their doom. :) Some ghosts run sashes though, and of course I tend to have to play around that.

And it goes without saying that this thing has been such an asset against Electric monos!

Anyway, these were just some examples of a couple of types this helps against. I actually found that running Flare Blitz or Fire Punch was overkill, and wanted to play with the idea of running a speedster Maro. Most of what you'd smack with fire dies or doesn't do much damage back regardless, so I didn't mind the lower BP.

Btw - the third member of my core is a sub-passing Decidueye. It's been real fun testing this Maro out with a F/G/W core. I've tried using her defensively as well, and on TR but I had a real hard time with TR....

Ready for second check.

Keori I personally haven't tried that set but on paper, it has the speed but the damage that Flame Charge doesn't just doesn't seem enough to break though walls like Mandibuzz or Mega Venusaur where Flare Blitz would do over 50% to it. However, if you want to use Marowak as a sweeper than it seems like an OK option to use. I still wouldn't use it, however.

Overview:

- be more specific with it's bulk. Id say something like "Alolan Marowak has mediocre physical bulk and sub par special bulk" instead.

- combine its immunity to thunder wave and electric attacks into one line. "With Lightning Rod, it can absorb Electric attacks and Thunder wave which can lose lots of momentum for opponents.

- Avoid using "you." Marowak is an it, not a you. "The fire typing also gives it an immunity to willo wisp."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- slash fire punch after flare blitz in the set. it's a good secondary option if you don't want to be taking a shit ton of recoil.

- The content is there but there's a lot of wording that needs to be fixed. There's an excess of "you" and "your" and it makes all of the fluff less precise and weird to read. Again, marowak is an "it" and the analysis is about marowak. Instead of having GP wreck it over, I'd suggest putting in some time to fix some of the wording in mainly the moves and set details sections. The Team options and Usage tips sections look reasonable enough for me so use those as a reference to help u re write moves and details.

- since the main slash in the set is bonemerang, I'd find all the spots where you refer to EQ and change them to bonemerang. Except the part about edgequake coverage, you dont need to say edgemerang lmao.

- agree with eien that there should be a section for faster pokemon as anything faster with any sort of offensive prowess can take advantage of it's lopsided bulk and threaten it.

Q/C 2/3 just make sure you figure out that wording. If you really get stuck, you can pm me and I'd gladly help. good work other than that

WE BACK BBY

Last edited:

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Comments omit Additions

[OVERVIEW]
Ghost
======

* Boasting an incredible attack stat with Thick Club, Alolan Marowak is one of the best wallbreakers Ghost has.
* Alolan Marowak is one of the only 2 Stealth Rock setters for Ghost.
* With Lightning Rod, it can absorb Electric attacks and Thunder Wave which can lose lots of momentum for the opponent. Isn't Thunder Wave an Electric move
* The additional Fire typing gives good resistances like Steel and especially Fairy. Wording
* The Fire typing also gives it an immunity to Will-O-Wisp.
* The Fire typing added with the Ground coverage makes Alolan Marowak a decent check to Fire-types.
* Without its faults, Alolan Marowak has a dreadful 45 base speed so it can be revenge killed easily. wording
* It's typing makes it have weaknesses to common coverage like Ground and Rock. add Water and Dark too
* If Alolan Marowak's Thick Club gets removed (examples are Knock Off and Trick), Alolan Marowak's damage gets significantly reduced.Not a complete sentence and doesn't flow well
* Alolan Marowak's moveset, while decent, is very linear so Alolan Marowak can be very predictable.
* Alolan Marowak's bulk is sub-par at best, having a poor 60 base HP and mediocre 110 base defense and 80 base special defense without investment. Wouldn't say base 110 defense is mediocre
* Alolan Marowak's Stealth Rock weakness with Flare blitz makes it vulnerable to chip and residual damage. This is true unless the rare ability of Rock Head is ran

[SET]
name: Utility Wallbreaker
move 4: Boomerang / Knock Off Is Boomerang or Earthquake, the main ground move on this set? I'm asking this because there are multiple mentions of Earthquake in this set

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Stealth Rock is used to help the team by punishing the opponents team if they switch out. This lets Alolan Marowak OHKO Mega Charizard X and Y along with Torkoal with Stealth Rocks. Support aspect of Stealth Rocks should be added and how it helps Alolan Marowak's teammates
* Shadow Bone is a reasonably powerful STAB attack that has no drawbacks against it while having a chance to lower the opponent's Pokemon defense. Wording
* Flare Blitz is the most powerful STAB attack which dents the majority of walls including Mega Venusaur and Clefable.
* Fire Punch can be replacement for Flare Blitz if the recoil is a problem for the team. Wording
* EarthquakeBoomerang is a coverage move to help with Rock and Fire types that normally wall it such as Tyranitar or Heatran.
* Knock Off is a utility move to cripple item reliant switchins like Porygon2 and Choice Scarf. No mention of Eviolite or Leftovers

Set Details
========

* Maximum attack investment allows Alolan Marowak to deal as much damage as possible.
* 44 speed investment outspeeds base 50's and below like Azumarill and Hippowdon. Wording
* The remaining EVs are placed into HP to help take as much damage as possible as well as taking as little from Flare Blitz as possible. Wording
* Adamant nature is preferred to boost the damage done by Alolan Marowak.
* Thick Club is crucial to double the damage done by Alolan Marowak's attack. nitpick
* Lightning Rod is used to help absorb Electric moves and Thunder Wave which counters the majority of Electric types. Wording and isn't Thunder Wave an electric move

Usage Tips
========

* Try and switch in onto walls that do little damage as frequently as possible. This allows you to almost have a free turn if they stay in to deal damage or set up Stealth Rocks. Avoid using you and some wording issues
* Try and use Alolan Marowak in the early game to punish players trying to set up hazards or an early set-up. Using Alolan Marowak late is generally pointless as you want to remove as much Pokemon as possible before it dying. Wording
* Switch in Alolan Marowak if safe against Electric moves due to Alolan Marowak countering almost every Electric type in the game. This can deny some momentum for the opponent, especially if they opted to go for Volt Switch. This gives you a free turn to do damage. Wording
* Do not try and use this Alolan Marowak set to sweep; it's just not good at it. Wording
* If you get an opportunity where the opponent is forced to switch out, set up Stealth Rocks unless they have no choice but to sac a wincon, where you can use an attacking move.Don't use You / Wording
* Use Knock Off against Pokemon that are extremely reliant on their items like Chansey or Porygon2. Knocking off a Leftovers can also help so Will-O-Wisp via other Pokemon can deal residual damage to it without it recovering the burn back. What Pokemon with Wil-O-Wisp. Sableye?
* Do not get its Thick Club knocked off, as it can incur in a lot of damage and loss of a lot of damage with the loss of Thick Club. Getting removed in other ways like Trick or Switcheroo also removes its ability to deal damage. Knock Off?
* Use Flare Blitz only if necessary. Taking recoil damage for no beneficial reason can change the game. How does it change the game / wording issues

Team Options
========

* Not having hazards on your side as well as Mega Sableye is an excellent option as it can absorb Knock Off and can bounce hazards for Alolan Marowak to have a better time of wallbreaking. Mega Sabeye can spread Burns as well
* Gourgeist-Super is great for tanking Water, Ground and physical Rock attacks well and punish them back with Will-O-Wisp while Alolan Marowak can make up for Gourgeist's passive style. How can Alolan Marowak make up for Gourgeist's passive style of play?
* Trevenant is the same as Gourgeiset but it's less bulky on the physical side but can tank special moves much better and can have a built-in recovery system with Harvest and Sitrus Berry Trevenant is outclassed by Gourgeist
* Gengar is a great offensive partner as it can remove some of the threats that Alolan Marowak face like Hydreigon or Tapu Fini due to its high speed and very diverse movepool. Gengar also has the addition of Destiny Bond which can remove a specific threat that is stopping Alolan Marowak. How does it stop Hydregion and Tapu Fini (what moves?)
* Jellicent is a partner that can absorb Water attacks well with Water Absorb, have a high special defense and be a nuisance with Toxic and Recover while Alolan Marowak can find opportunities to find a pick to kill. Jellicent also lures in your opponents Poison and Steel types to absorb Toxic where you can switch back into Alolan Marowak. Wording / Scald Burns
* Dhelmise and Decidueye are good partners as they have reliable hazard removal with Rapid Spin and Defog, respectively. They also have the bonus of being able to absorb Water and Ground attacks, especially Decidueye which has access to Roost. Wording
* Mimikyu is a decent partner to absorb Dragon Pokemon that can absorb Alolan Marowak's moves. Additionally, the wallbreaking power from Alolan Marowak can help Mimikyu to sweep later in the game. wording
* Golurk can be used to use Stealth Rock, which fills up a spot for Alolan Marowak to use a coverage move like Boomerang and Knock Off or Stone Edge. Swords Dance
* Alolan Marowak fits very well in Trick Room with its indecent speed, making Pokemon like Cofagrigus and other Trick Room users good options and a decent type of playstyle. If this is the case, use other Pokemon that abuse Trick Room like Hoopa or Dhelmise.
* Possibly Add Doublade because it is a Rock resist and it appreciates Alolan Marowak's ability to break walls

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============
* Max Speed with Jolly can be optimal in certain situations like if Azumarill carries some speed and can outspeed base 85's like Tapu Fini which can change the game outcome. However, it's extra bulkiness can help with a lot more situations like taking a Draco Meteor from Hydreigon without dying at full health. Wouldn't a Hydregion just use Dark Pulse on Alolan Marowak
* Due to Alolan Marowak being the only Ghost type with Will-O-Wisp and Stealth Rock, it can be used as a specially defensive utility Pokemon. However, this set lacks a lot of power and can be used as easy set up for Fire Pokemon. Also mention how Alolan Marowak lacks reliable recovery
* Rock Head can be used to negate Flare Blitz recoil. This does cause being neutral to Electric types, which makes Alolan Marowak significantly less useful vs Electric types.
* Stone Edge is an option for Alolan Marowak to do more damage against Flying types and when combined with Boomerang, can have incredible coverage with the EdgeQuake combination. However, this can cause 4 move syndrome and is a loss of Stealth Rock or a STAB move. What does Stone Edge Hit harder that Shadow Bone doesn't?
* Swords Dance for added wallbreakng potential but losing out on Stealth Rock is not worth it

Checks and Counters
===================

**Tyranitar**: Tyranitar takes little damage from the STAB attacks and can survive an Boomerang while Tyranitar can use Pursuit to trap Alolan Marowak.

**Tapu Fini**: Tapu Fini can take a Shadow Bone fairly well and can deal a lot of damage with a Scald Surf. Tapu Fini can also Defog the Stealth Rocks that Alolan Marowak places. Surf>Scald on Tapu Fini because of Misty Terrain

**Water-Types**: Although the majority can't switch in, Pokemon like Keldeo, Greninja and other fast water types can revenge kill Alolan Marowak. With What moves?

**Ground-Types**: The majority can't switch in but Pokemon like Excadrill or Mamoswine can OHKO Alolan Marowak. With what moves?

**Rock-Types**: Nothing can switch in if it carries Earthquake but Pokemon like Nihilego or Terrakion can remove Alolan Marowak. With what moves?

**Dragon-Types**: Dragon-types like Dragonite, Hydreigon and Garchomp can take the damage that Alolan Marowak deals and remove it with its STAB or coverage moves. How?

**Physical walls**: Physical walls that do not take super effective STAB damage can wall Alolan Marowak fairly easily like Mandibuzz, Quagsire, Rotom-Wash and Porygon2 and all can remove Alolan Marowak with Foul Play or STAB water move. However, the latter can have its Eviolite knocked off and if Alolan Marowak has enough speed to outspeed Porygon2, can deal a lot of damage with Flare Blitz. Wouldn't Knocking Off Leftovers be useful as well?

**Stealth Rock**: Stealth Rock hinders Alolan Marowak and with the addition of Flare Blitz recoil, can add up damage very quickly. no mention of 25% damage

**Faster Pokemon**: Faster Pokemon with an offensive prowess can remove Alolan Marowak without Alolan Marowak doing any damage back. Examples? extremely vague
Maybe add Dark-types as most OHKO Alolan Marowak
I would try and fix the wording before sending this to GP. Overall the content is very good, but the grammar hinders it. (I tried to help with sentences that are awkwardly worded. check wording)
QC 3/3 complete

lotiasite

undedgy
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
AM GP check, implement what you agree with

add
remove
(comment)

other; AC = add comma, RC = remove comma, AH = add hyphen, RH = remove hyphen

[OVERVIEW]
Ghost
======

* Boasting an incredible Attack stat with Thick Club, Alolan Marowak is one of the best wallbreakers Ghost has.
* Alolan Marowak is one of the only 2 Stealth Rock setters for Ghost.
* With Lightning Rod, it can absorb Electric-type attacks which can lose lots of momentum for the opponent.
* The Fire typing gives Alolan Marowak useful resistances like such as Steel and Fairy. (full stop)
* The Alolan Marowak's Fire typing also gives it an immunity to Will-O-Wisp.
* The Fire typing added with the Ground coverage makes Alolan Marowak a decent check to Fire-types.
* Alolan Marowak has a poor 45 Base Speed stat, (AC) meaning it can be outsped my by the majority of the metagame.
* It's Its typing makes it have gives it weaknesses to common coverage like Ground and Rock. such as Ground- and Rock-type moves.
* Alolan Marowak's damage is halved without the item Thick Club.
* Alolan Marowak's Its (repetitive) moveset, while decent, is very linear, (AC) so Alolan Marowak can be very predictable.
* Alolan Marowak's bulk is average, with a decent 110 base Defense but a poor 60 base HP and 80 base Special Defense.
* Without the ability Rock Head, Alolan Marowak's Stealth Rock weakness with Flare Blitz makes (remove) it vulnerable to chip and residual damage.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Stealth Rock is used to help the team by punishing the opponent'(add)s team if they switch out. This lets Alolan Marowak OHKO Mega Charizard X and Y along with Torkoal with Stealth Rocks. Stealth Rock damage also lets Alolan Marowak OHKO Mega Charizard X, Mega Charizard Y, and Torkoal. Stealth Rock also helps other Pokemon like such as Chandelure and Mimikyu have an easier time sweeping.
* Shadow Bone gives Alolan Marowak a STAB move that can hit the majority of Pokemon without any drawbacks.
* Flare Blitz is the most powerful STAB attack Alolan Marowak has access to, which dents the majority of walls including Mega Venusaur and Clefable.
* Fire Punch is an alternative option if you don't (don't what?)the recoil. However, this is a drop of damage and Alolan Marowak loses the ability to 2HKO Mega Venusaur or and Clefable.
* Bonemerang is a coverage move to help with Rock-(AH) and Fire-(AH)types that normally wall it Alolan Marowak such as Tyranitar or and Heatran.
* Knock Off is a utility move to that cripples (add) item reliant switch-(AH)ins like such as Porygon2, other Eviolite users, Choice Scarf and Leftovers.

Set Details
========

* Maximum Attack investment allows Alolan Marowak to deal as much damage as possible.
* 44 Speed investment helps outspeed non-invested Base 50 Speed Pokemon such as Alolan Muk and Azumarill.
* The remaining EVs are placed into HP to help take as much damage as possible as well as taking as little from Flare Blitz as possible. The remaining EVs are placed into HP to reduce as much damage as possible while also reducing recoil from Flare Blitz.
* An Adamant nature is preferred to boost the damage done by Alolan Marowak.
* A Thick Club is crucial to double Alolan Marowak's Attack.
* Lightning Rod is an ability that gives Alolan Marowak an immunity to Electric types. This counters the majority of Electric types. an immunity to Electric-type attacks, effectively countering the majority of Electric-type Pokemon.

Usage Tips
========

* Try and switch in onto against walls that do little damage as frequently as possible. This allows you Alolan Marowak to almost have a free turn if they stay in to deal damage or set up Stealth Rocks (remove).
* Use Alolan Marowak in the early game early on in the match to take out as much many Pokemon as possible trying to set up hazards. (this is confusing. is it supposed to mean alolan marowak sets up hazards or alolan marowak kills pokemon that try to set them up?)
* Switch in Alolan Marowak against Electric-type moves as Alolan Marowak counters most Electric-(AH)types. This gives Alolan Marowak an opportunity to deal damage.
* Using Alolan Marowak to sweep is not recommended as it is easily revenge killed.
* If you get an opportunity where the opponent is forced to switch out, set up Stealth Rocks (remove) unless they have no choice but to sack a wincon, where you Alolan Marowak can use an attacking move.
* Use Knock Off against Pokemon that are extremely reliant on their items like such as Chansey or Porygon2. Knocking off a Leftovers can also help so Will-O-Wisp users like Mega Sableye or Gourgeist which can deal residual damage to it without it recovering the burn back. Using Knock Off to remove Leftovers can also help Will-O-Wisp users such as Mega Sableye and Gourgeist deal residual damage without the foe recovering it back.
* Do not let the opponent use Knock Off against Alolan Marowak, as Alolan Marowak it takes a lot of damage as well as losing its Thick Club, which is important as losing it halves Alolan Marowak's Attack. This halves Alolan Marowak's attack. Getting Thick Club removed other ways like Switcheroo or Trick also cripples Alolan Marowak's attack. Trick and Switcheroo can also be used to take away Alolan Marowak's Thick Club, heavily reducing its damage.
* Only use Flare Blitz against Pokemon that resist Alolan Marowak's other moves, (add) like such as Mandibuzz and Staraptor or against walls like such as Mega Venusaur and Chansey. Using Flare Blitz unnecessarily can mean there is no way to remove the walls on the opponent's team.

Team Options
========

* Mega Sableye is an excellent partner as Alolan Marowak benefits from Mega Sableye able 's ability to absorb Knock Off and is able to keep hazards away with Magic Bounce. Mega Sableye also has access to Will-O-Wisp so Alolan Marowak can have an easier time switching in.
* Gourgeist-Super Gourgeist-XL is great for tanking Water-(AH), Ground-(AH), (AC) and physical Rock-type attacks well and can punish them foes back with Will-O-Wisp while Alolan Marowak can remove Pokemon that try to set- (RH)up hazards or Taunt Gourgeist-Super Gourgeist XL.
* Gengar is a great offensive partner as it can remove some of the threats that Alolan Marowak face like Hydreigon with Dazzling Gleam or Tapu Fini with Sludge Wave due to its high speed and very diverse movepool. Alolan Marowak has trouble facing such as Hydreigon and Tapu Fini due to its high Speed and diverse movepool. Gengar also has the addition of Destiny Bond, which can remove a specific threat that is stopping Alolan Marowak.
* (bullet here)Jellicent is a great partner as it absorbs Water-type moves with Water Absorb and is able to use Toxic or Scald for burns. Jellicent benefits from Alolan Marowak being able to absorb Grass-(AH) and Electric-type moves as well as remove Poison-(AH) and Steel-(AH)types which are immune to Toxic.
* Either Dhelmise or Decidueye are good partners as they absorb Water-(AH) and Ground-type moves while being able to remove entry hazards with Rapid Spin or Defog.
* Mimikyu is a good partner with Mimikyu having as it has an immunity to Dragon types Dragon-type moves while Mimikyu also benefits from Alolan Marowak's ability to remove walls.
* Golurk can be used to use Stealth Rock, which fills up a spot for Alolan Marowak to use a coverage move like Bonemerang, Knock Off or Stone Edge. Golurk's access to Stealth Rock can allow Alolan Marowak to use another coverage move such as Bonemerang, Knock Off or Stone Edge. Alolan Marowak can also have added wallbreaking potential with Swords Dance.
* Alolan Marowak fits very well in Trick Room with its indecent low Speed, making Pokemon like such as Cofagrigus and other Trick Room users good options and a decent type of playstyle. If this is the case, use other Pokemon that abuse utilize (don't say abuse) Trick Room like such as Hoopa or Dhelmise.
* Doublade is a decent partner as it can absorb Rock-type moves like such as Stone Edge while benefits benefiting from Alolan Marowak's offensive presence.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============
* Max Speed with Jolly can be optimal in certain situations like if Azumarill carries some speed and can outspeed base 85's like Tapu Fini which can change the game outcome. Maximum Speed in combination with a Jolly nature can be used to outspeed invested Azumarill and Base 85 Speed Pokemon such as Tapu Fini. However, it's extra bulkiness can help with a lot more situations like taking a Draco Meteor from Hydreigon without dying at full health. However, its extra bulk can helpful in more situations, such as surviving Hydreigon's Draco Meteor from full HP.
* Due to Alolan Marowak being the only Ghost-(AH)type with Will-O-Wisp and Stealth Rock, it can be used as a specially defensive utility Pokemon. However, this set lacks a lot of power, not have any reliable recovery, (AC) and can be used as easy set up setup fodder for Fire-type Pokemon.
* Rock Head can be used to negate Flare Blitz recoil. This does cause being neutral to Electric types, which makes Alolan Marowak significantly less useful vs versus Electric-(AH)types.
* Stone Edge is an option for Alolan Marowak to do more damage against Flying-(AH)types like such as Zapdos and Mantine, (AC) and when combined with Bonemerang, can have gives Alolan Marowak incredible coverage with the EdgeQuake combination. However, this can cause 4 move slot syndrome and is a loss of Stealth Rock or a STAB move.
* Swords Dance is an option for added wallbreaking potential. However, the loss of Stealth Rock or a coverage move is generally not worth the extra damage.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Tyranitar**: Tyranitar takes little damage from the Alolan Marowak's STAB attacks and can survive an Bonemerang while Tyranitar can use Pursuit to trap Alolan Marowak.

**Tapu Fini**: Tapu Fini can take a Shadow Bone fairly well and can deal a lot of damage with Surf. Tapu Fini can also Defog the Stealth Rocks that Alolan Marowak places. Tapu Fini can also use Defog to remove the entry hazards that Alolan Marowak sets.

**Water-Types**: Although the majority of Water-types can't switch in, Pokemon like such as Keldeo, Greninja, (AC) and other fast Water-(AH)types can revenge kill Alolan Marowak with Scald or Hydro Pump.

**Ground-Types**: The majority can't switch in but Pokemon like Excadrill or Mamoswine can OHKO Alolan Marowak with Earthquake. Most Ground-type Pokemon cannot switch in to Alolan Marowak's attacks, but Pokemon such as Excadrill and Mamoswine are capable of OHKOing it with Earthquake.

**Rock-Types**: Nothing can switch in if it Alolan Marowak carries Bonemerang, (AC) but Pokemon like such as Nihilego or and Terrakion can remove Alolan Marowak KO it with Stone Edge, Rock Slide or Power Gem. Power Gem, Rock Slide, or Stone Edge. (ordered to fit nihilego/terrak)

**Dragon-Types**: Dragon-types like such as Dragonite, Hydreigon, (AC) and Garchomp can take the damage that Alolan Marowak deals and remove Alolan Marowak with it's their STAB or coverage moves like such as Earthquake or Dark Pulse.

**Dark-Types**: The majority of Dark-(AH)types like such as Hoopa-U and Hydreigon can outspeed and OHKO Alolan Marowak with Dark Pulse or Hyperspace Fury. Hyperspace Fury or Dark Pulse. (ordered same as hoopau/hydreigon)

**Physical Walls**: Physical walls that do not take super effective STAB damage can wall Alolan Marowak fairly easily,(AC) like such as Mandibuzz, Quagsire, Rotom-Wash, (AC) and Porygon2 and all can remove Alolan Marowak with Foul Play or STAB water move Water-type attacks. However, the latter can have its Eviolite Knocked Off and if Alolan Marowak has enough speed to outspeed Porygon2, can deal a lot of damage with Flare Blitz.can take a lot of damage if Alolan Marowak has enough Speed to outspeed it. Mandibuzz, Quagsire and Rotom-Wash can also lose it's their Leftovers or Rocky Helmet with Knock Off.

**Faster Pokemon**: Even (space here) though the majority of faster Pokemon get 2HKOed from by Alolan Marowak, faster Pokemon with an offensive prowess can deal a heavy amount of damage to Alolan Marwowaklike Alolan Raichu or Alakazam. faster Pokemon with high offensive power such as Alolan Raichu or Alakazam can deal heavy amounts of damage to Alolan Marowak.

**Stealth Rock**: Stealth Rock hinders Alolan Marowak as it takes 25% from Stealth Rock and with the addition of Flare Blitz recoil, can add up damage very quickly. Stealth Rock hinders Alolan Marowak as it takes 25% damage from it, racking up damage especially when combined with recoil from Flare Blitz.

that took a while; some general gp notes:

Fire-type, not Fire type
such as > like
capitalise stats when talking about them directly, like Alolan Marowak's low Speed
remember the Oxford comma (Nidoking, Terrakion, and Nidoqueen not Nidoking, Terrakion and Nidoqueen).

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
lotiasite: add remove (comment) AC = add comma, RC = remove comma, AH = add hyphen, RH = remove hyphen
Fireflame479: Remove Add Comments Delete Amcheck (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma (AH)= add hyphen (RH)= remove hyphen

[OVERVIEW]
Ghost
======

* Boasting an incredible Attack stat with Thick Club, Alolan Marowak is one of the best wallbreakers Ghost has.
* Alolan Marowak is one of the only 2 two Stealth Rock setters for Ghost.
* With Lightning Rod, it can absorb Electric-type attacks,(AC) which can make lose lots of momentum for the opponent lose momentum.
* The Fire Alolan Marowak's typing gives Alolan Marowak it useful resistances like such as to Steel and Fairy and an immunity to Will-O-Wisp. (full stop)
* The Alolan Marowak's Fire typing also gives it an immunity to Will-O-Wisp. (this could have just combined with the previous statement)
* The Fire Its typing added with the Ground coverage makes Alolan Marowak a decent check to Fire-types.
* However,(AC) Alolan Marowak has a poor base 45 Base Speed stat, (AC) meaning it can be outsped my by the majority of the metagame.
* It's Its typing makes it have gives it weaknesses to common coverage like Ground and Rock. such as Ground- and Rock-type moves. ("like" is fine)
* Alolan Marowak's damage output is halved without the item Thick Club.
* Alolan Marowak's Its (repetitive) moveset, while decent, is very linear, (AC) so Alolan Marowak can be very predictable.
* Alolan Marowak's bulk is average, with a decent base 110 base Defense but a poor base 60 base HP and base 80 base Special Defense. (The word "base" should go before the number)
* Without the ability Rock Head, Alolan Marowak's Stealth Rock weakness with Flare Blitz's recoil makes (remove) (no, it would be "makes" because it's talking about the SR weakness with the recoil, not the weakness and the recoil) it vulnerable to chip and residual damage.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Stealth Rock is used to help the team by punishing the opponent'(add)s team if they switch out. This lets Alolan Marowak OHKO Mega Charizard X and Y along with Torkoal with Stealth Rocks. Stealth Rock damage also lets Alolan Marowak OHKO Mega Charizard X, Mega Charizard Y, and Torkoal,(AC) and it Stealth Rock also helps other Pokemon like such as ("like" is fine. Here it's actually better than such as) Chandelure and Mimikyu have an easier time sweeping.
* Flare Blitz is the most powerful STAB attack Alolan Marowak has access to, which dents the majority of walls,(AC) including Mega Venusaur and Clefable.
* Fire Punch is an alternative option over Flare Blitz for no if you don't (don't what?)the recoil damage;(add semicolon) however.(remove period) However, this it is a drop of in damage,(AC) and Alolan Marowak loses the ability to 2HKO Mega Venusaur or and Clefable.
* Bonemerang is a coverage move to help with Rock-(AH) and Fire-(AH)types that normally wall it Alolan Marowak,(AC) such as Tyranitar or and Heatran.
* Knock Off is a utility move to that cripples (add) item reliant switch-(AH)ins like such as Porygon2, other Eviolite users, Choice Scarf users,(AC) and Pokemon with Leftovers.

Set Details
========5

* 44 Speed investment helps EVs allow Alolan Marowak to outspeed non-invested base 50 Speed Pokemon such as Alolan Muk and Azumarill.
* The remaining EVs are placed into HP to help take as much damage as possible as well as taking as little from Flare Blitz as possible. The remaining EVs are placed into HP to reduce as much damage as possible while also reducing recoil from Flare Blitz.
* An Adamant nature is preferred to boost the Alolan Marowak's damage done by Alolan Marowak.
* A Thick Club is crucial to double Alolan Marowak's Attack.
* Lightning Rod is an ability that gives Alolan Marowak an immunity to Electric types. This counters the majority of Electric types. an immunity to Electric-type attacks, effectively countering the majority of Electric-type Pokemon.

Usage Tips
========

* Try and switch in onto against walls that do little damage as frequently as possible. This allows you Alolan Marowak to almost have a an almost (the previous "almost" was applying to the "have", where it should have applied to the "free") free turn if they stay in to deal damage or set up Stealth Rocks (remove).
* Use Alolan Marowak in the early-(AH)game early on in the match to take out as much many Pokemon as possible trying to set up hazards. (this is confusing. is it supposed to mean alolan marowak sets up hazards or alolan marowak kills pokemon that try to set them up?) (Agreed. If it's the latter then say "...as possible that are trying to...")
* Switch in Alolan Marowak against Electric-type moves,(AC) as Alolan Marowak counters most Electric-(AH)types. This gives Alolan Marowak an opportunity to deal damage.
* Using Alolan Marowak to sweep is not recommended,(AC) as it is easily revenge killed.
* If you get Alolan Marowak gets an opportunity where the opponent is forced to switch out, set up Stealth Rocks (remove) unless they have no choice but to sack a wincon, where you Alolan Marowak can use an attacking move.
* Use Knock Off against Pokemon that are extremely reliant on their items,(AC) like such as Chansey or Porygon2. Knocking off a Leftovers can also help so Will-O-Wisp users like Mega Sableye or Gourgeist which can deal residual damage to it without it recovering the burn back. Using Knock Off to remove Leftovers can also help Will-O-Wisp users such as Mega Sableye and Gourgeist deal residual damage without the foe recovering it back.
* Do not let the opponent use Knock Off against Alolan Marowak, as Alolan Marowak it takes a lot of damage as well as losing and loses its Thick Club, which is important as because losing it halves Alolan Marowak's Attack. This halves Alolan Marowak's attack. Getting Thick Club removed in other ways like Switcheroo or Trick also cripples Alolan Marowak's attack Attack. Trick and Switcheroo can also be used to take away Alolan Marowak's Thick Club, heavily reducing its damage. (it was unnecessary to completely reword the original sentence)
* Only use Flare Blitz against Pokemon that resist Alolan Marowak's other moves, (add) like such as Mandibuzz and Staraptor,(AC) or against walls like such as Mega Venusaur and Chansey. Using Flare Blitz unnecessarily can mean that there is no way to remove the walls on the opponent's team. (explain why this is. right now it's unclear)

Team Options
========

* Mega Sableye is an excellent partner,(AC) as Alolan Marowak benefits from Mega Sableye's able 's ability to absorb Knock Off and is able to keep hazards away with Magic Bounce. Mega Sableye also has access to Will-O-Wisp,(AC) so Alolan Marowak can have an easier time switching in into physical attacks.
* Gourgeist-Super Gourgeist-XL is great for tanking Water-(AH), Ground-(AH), (AC) and physical Rock-type attacks well and can punish them foes back with Will-O-Wisp,(AC) while Alolan Marowak can remove Pokemon that try to set- (RH)up hazards or Taunt Gourgeist-Super Gourgeist XL.
* Gengar is a great offensive partner,(AC) as it can remove some of the threats that Alolan Marowak face like Hydreigon with Dazzling Gleam or Tapu Fini with Sludge Wave due to its high speed and very diverse movepool. Alolan Marowak has trouble facing such as Hydreigon and Tapu Fini due to its high Speed and diverse movepool. Gengar also has the addition additional utility of Destiny Bond ("addition of Destiny Bond doesn't make sense, it always has it), which can remove a specific threat that is stopping Alolan Marowak.
* (bullet here)Jellicent is a great partner,(AC) as it absorbs Water-type moves with Water Absorb and is able to use Toxic or and Scald for burns. Jellicent benefits from Alolan Marowak being able to absorb Grass-(AH) and Electric-type moves as well as remove Poison-(AH) and Steel-(AH)types,(AC) which are immune to Toxic.
* Either Dhelmise or and Decidueye are good partners,(AC) since as (repetition) they absorb Water-(AH) and Ground-type moves while being able to remove entry hazards with Rapid Spin or Defog.
* Mimikyu is a good partne,(AC) with Mimikyu having as it has an immunity to Dragon types Dragon-type moves while Mimikyu also and benefits from Alolan Marowak's ability to remove walls (examples).
* Golurk can be used to use Stealth Rock, which fills up a spot for Alolan Marowak to use a coverage move like Bonemerang, Knock Off or Stone Edge. Golurk's access to Stealth Rock can allow Alolan Marowak to use another coverage move such as Bonemerang, Knock Off or Stone Edge. Alolan Marowak can also have added wallbreaking potential with Swords Dance.
* Alolan Marowak fits very well in Trick Room with its indecent low Speed, making Pokemon like such as Cofagrigus and other Trick Room users good options and a decent type of playstyle. If this is the case When running Trick Room (the playstyle is irrelevant regarding Alolan Marowak), use other Pokemon that abuse utilize (don't say abuse) Trick Room like such as Hoopa or Dhelmise.
* Doublade is a decent partner as because it can absorb Rock-type moves like such as Stone Edge while benefits benefiting from Alolan Marowak's offensive presence.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============
* Max Speed with Jolly can be optimal in certain situations like if Azumarill carries some speed and can outspeed base 85's like Tapu Fini which can change the game outcome. Maximum Speed in combination with a Jolly nature can be used to outspeed invested Azumarill and Base 85 Speed Pokemon such as Tapu Fini. However, it's extra bulkiness can help with a lot more situations like taking a Draco Meteor from Hydreigon without dying at full health. However, its extra bulk can helpful in more situations, such as surviving Hydreigon's Draco Meteor from full HP. Maximum Speed and a Jolly nature can be optimal in certain situatuons,(AC) such as outspeeding invested Azumarill and base 85 Speed Pokemon like Tapu Fini;(add semicolon) however, Alolan Marowak's extra bulk can help in more situations,(AC) like taking a Draco Meteor from Hydreigon at full health. (This was very messy and annoying to look at, and there were things that needed to be changed with both the original and the amcheck)
* Due to Alolan Marowak being the only Ghost-(AH)type with Will-O-Wisp and Stealth Rock, it can be used as a specially defensive utility Pokemon. However, this set lacks a lot of power, not have any reliable recovery, (AC) and can be used as easy set up setup fodder for Fire-type Pokemon.
* Rock Head can be used to negate Flare Blitz recoil;(add semicolon) however,(AC) this.(remove period) This does cause Alolan Marowak to be hit neutrally ny being neutral to Electric-(AH)types (flows better), which makes Alolan Marowak it significantly less useful vs versus against (try to avoid using the word "versus") Electric-(AH)types.
* Stone Edge is an option for Alolan Marowak to do more damage against Flying-(AH)types like such as Zapdos and Mantine, (AC) and when combined with Bonemerang, can have gives Alolan Marowak incredible coverage with the EdgeQuake combination. However, this can cause 4 move slot four-(AH)moveslot syndrome and is a loss of Stealth Rock or a STAB move.
* Swords Dance is an option for added wallbreaking potential;(add semicolon) however.(remove period) However, the loss of Stealth Rock or a coverage move is generally not worth the extra damage.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Tyranitar**: Tyranitar takes little damage from the Alolan Marowak's STAB attacks,(AC) and can survive an Bonemerang,(AC) and while Tyranitar can use Pursuit to trap Alolan Marowak.

**Tapu Fini**: Tapu Fini can take a Shadow Bone fairly well and can deal a lot of damage to Alolan Marowak with Surf. Tapu Fini can also Defog the Stealth Rocks that Alolan Marowak places. Tapu Fini can also use Defog to remove the entry hazards Stealth Rock that Alolan Marowak sets.

**Water-Types Water-types**: Although the majority of Water-types can't switch in, Pokemon like such as Keldeo, Greninja, (AC) and other fast Water-(AH)types can revenge kill Alolan Marowak with Scald or Hydro Pump.

**Ground-Types Ground-types**: The majority of Ground-types can't switch into Alolan Marowak,(AC) in but Pokemon like Excadrill and or Mamoswine can OHKO it with Earthquake. Most Ground-type Pokemon cannot switch in to Alolan Marowak's attacks, but Pokemon such as Excadrill and Mamoswine are capable of OHKOing it with Earthquake. (be careful not to deviate too much from the author's sentence structure if it was fine)

**Rock-Types Rock-types**: Nothing can Rock-types can't switch in if it Alolan Marowak carries Bonemerang, (AC) but Pokemon like such as Nihilego or and Terrakion can remove Alolan Marowak KO it with Stone Edge, Rock Slide or Power Gem. Power Gem, Rock Slide, or Stone Edge. (ordered to fit nihilego/terrak) (tbh you can just say "super effective STAB moves")

**Dragon-Types Dragon-types**: Dragon-types like such as Dragonite, Hydreigon, (AC) and Garchomp can take the damage that Alolan Marowak deals and remove Alolan Marowak with it's their STAB attacks or coverage moves like such as Earthquake or and Dark Pulse.

**Dark-Types Dark-types**: The majority of Dark-(AH)types like such as Hoopa-U and Hydreigon can outspeed and OHKO Alolan Marowak with their super effective STAB moves. Dark Pulse or Hyperspace Fury. Hyperspace Fury or Dark Pulse. (ordered same as hoopau/hydreigon) (the majority of Dark-types do not OHKO Alolan Marowak with Hyperspace Fury)

**Physical Walls**: Physical walls that do not take super effective STAB damage from Alolan Marowak's STAB moves can wall Alolan Marowak it fairly easily,(AC) like such as Mandibuzz, Quagsire, Rotom-Wash, (AC) and Porygon2 and all of them can remove Alolan Marowak with Foul Play or STAB water move Water-type attacks. However, the latter can have its Eviolite Knocked Off and if Alolan Marowak has enough speed to outspeed Porygon2, can deal a lot of damage with Flare Blitz. can take a lot of damage if Alolan Marowak has enough Speed to outspeed it. Mandibuzz, Quagsire and Rotom-Wash can also lose it's their Leftovers or Rocky Helmet with Knock Off.

**Faster Pokemon**: Even (space here) though the majority of faster Pokemon get 2HKOed from by Alolan Marowak, faster Pokemon with an offensive prowess can deal a heavy amount of damage to Alolan Marwowaklike Alolan Raichu or Alakazam. faster Pokemon with high offensive power such as Alolan Raichu or Alakazam can deal heavy amounts of damage to Alolan Marowak.
**Stealth Rock**: Stealth Rock hinders Alolan Marowak,(AC) as it takes 25% from Stealth Rock,(AC) and with the addition combination of Flare Blitz recoil, can add up damage very quickly. Stealth Rock hinders Alolan Marowak as it takes 25% damage from it, racking up damage especially when combined with recoil from Flare Blitz. (the sentence was fine before)
GP 1/1

Don't be intimidated by all of the color; I was working on top of the amcheck. Just be sure to address the comments and clean up the strike-throughs.

Hey. So after going through this check, I noticed that you have a solid foundation as to grammar and prose, but I saw a few things that you can improve on. Last 3 are most important:

1). Whenever the words "as" and "since" are being used to mean "because", a comma must precede it. There were a lot that you missed.
Using Alolan Marowak to sweep is not recommended,(AC) as it is easily revenge killed.
2). Similarly, commas should be added before the word "which".
With Lightning Rod, it can absorb Electric-type attacks,(AC) which can make lose lots of momentum for the opponent lose momentum.
3). When you're putting the strike-through (like this) on deleted phrases, try to be neater. You strike-through the empty spaces as well, which either the author or I have to clean up manually.

4). Like = such as. You seem to favor "such as", but both are completely fine. They are interchangeable; sometimes, the word "like" actually sounds better in certain sentences.

5). Rewording: This is definitely the most important matter you should work on. Remember, the author's writing style should be preserved. There were many times where you unnecessarily changed the whole entire sentence structure when the original sentence could have been tweaked just a little.
Original: Getting Thick Club removed in other ways like Switcheroo or Trick also cripples Alolan Marowak's attack Attack.

Yours:Trick and Switcheroo can also be used to take away Alolan Marowak's Thick Club, heavily reducing its damage.
These two sentences are completely different, and the original one was fine as is.

[OVERVIEW]

Ghost
======

* Boasting an incredible Attack stat with Thick Club, Alolan Marowak is one of the best wallbreakers Ghost has. * Alolan Marowak is one of the only two Stealth Rock setters for Ghost.
* With Lightning Rod, it can absorb Electric-type attacks, which can make the opponent lose momentum.
* Alolan Marowak's typing gives it useful resistances to Steel and Fairy and an immunity to Will-O-Wisp.
* Its typing added with Ground coverage makes Alolan Marowak a decent check to Fire-types.
* However, Alolan Marowak has a poor base 45 Speed stat, meaning it can be outsped by the majority of the metagame.
* Its typing gives it weaknesses to common coverage like Ground and Rock
* Alolan Marowak's damage output is halved without Thick Club.
* Its moveset, while decent, is very linear, so Alolan Marowak can be very predictable.
* Alolan Marowak's bulk is average, with a decent base 110 Defense stat but a poor base 60 HP and base 80 Special Defense stats.
* Without the ability Rock Head, Alolan Marowak's Stealth Rock weakness with Flare Blitz's recoil makes it vulnerable to chip and residual damage.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Stealth Rock is used to help the team by punishing the opponent's team if they switch out. Stealth Rock damage lets Alolan Marowak OHKO Mega Charizard X, Mega Charizard Y, and Torkoal, and it also helps other Pokemon like Chandelure and Mimikyu have an easier time sweeping.
* Flare Blitz is the most powerful STAB attack Alolan Marowak has access to, which dents the majority of walls, including Mega Venusaur and Clefable.
* Fire Punch is an alternative option over Flare Blitz for no recoil damage; however, it is a drop in damage, and Alolan Marowak loses the ability to 2HKO Mega Venusaur and Clefable.
* Bonemerang is a coverage move to help with Rock- and Fire-types that normally wall Alolan Marowak, such as Tyranitar and Heatran.
* Knock Off is a utility move that cripples item reliant switch-ins such as Porygon2, other Eviolite users, Choice Scarf users, and Pokemon with Leftovers.

Set Details
========

* 44 Speed EVs allow Alolan Marowak to outspeed non-invested base 50 Speed Pokemon such as Alolan Muk and Azumarill.
* The remaining EVs are placed into HP to reduce as much damage as possible while also reducing recoil from Flare Blitz.
* An Adamant nature is preferred to boost Alolan Marowak's damage.
* Thick Club is crucial to double Alolan Marowak's Attack.
* Lightning Rod gives Alolan Marowak. an immunity to Electric-type attacks, effectively countering the majority of Electric-type Pokemon.

Usage Tips
========
* Try and switch in against walls that do little damage as frequently as possible. This allows Alolan Marowak to have an almost free turn if they stay in to deal damage or set up Stealth Rock.
* Use Alolan Marowak early-game to take out as many Pokemon as possible that are trying to set up entry hazards such as Torkoal.
* Switch in Alolan Marowak against Electric-type moves, as Alolan Marowak counters most Electric-types. This gives Alolan Marowak an opportunity to deal damage.
* Using Alolan Marowak to sweep is not recommended, as it is easily revenge killed.
* If Alolan Marowak gets an opportunity where the opponent is forced to switch out, set up Stealth Rock unless they have no choice but to sack a wincon, where Alolan Marowak can use an attacking move.
* Use Knock Off against Pokemon that are extremely reliant on their items, such as Chansey or Porygon2. Using Knock Off to remove Leftovers can also help Will-O-Wisp users such as Mega Sableye and Gourgeist deal residual damage without the foe recovering it back.
* Do not let the opponent use Knock Off against Alolan Marowak, as it takes a lot of damage and loses its Thick Club, which is important because losing it halves Alolan Marowak's Attack. Getting Thick Club removed in other ways like Switcheroo or Trick also cripples Alolan Marowak's Attack.
* Only use Flare Blitz against Pokemon that resist Alolan Marowak's other moves, such as Mandibuzz and Staraptor, or against walls like Mega Venusaur and Chansey.

Team Options
========

* Mega Sableye is an excellent partner, as Alolan Marowak benefits from Mega Sableye's ability to absorb Knock Off and is able to keep hazards away with Magic Bounce. Mega Sableye also has access to Will-O-Wisp, so Alolan Marowak can have an easier time switching into physical attacks. * Gourgeist-XL is great for tanking Water-, Ground-, and physical Rock-type attacks well and can punish foes with Will-O-Wisp, while Alolan Marowak can remove Pokemon that try to set up entry hazards or Taunt Gourgeist XL.
* Gengar is a great offensive partner, as it can remove some of the threats that Alolan Marowak has trouble facing such as Hydreigon and Tapu Fini due to its high Speed and diverse movepool. Gengar also has the additional utility of Destiny Bond, which can remove a specific threat that is stopping Alolan Marowak.
* Jellicent is a great partner, as it absorbs Water-type moves with Water Absorb and is able to use Toxic and Scald for burns. Jellicent benefits from Alolan Marowak being able to absorb Grass- and Electric-type moves as well as remove Poison- and Steel-types, which are immune to Toxic.
* Dhelmise and Decidueye are good partners, since they absorb Water- and Ground-type moves while being able to remove entry hazards with Rapid Spin or Defog.
* Mimikyu is a good partner as it has an immunity to Dragon-type moves, access to Swords Dance, and benefits from Alolan Marowak's ability to remove walls such as Skarmory.
* Golurk's access to Stealth Rock can allow Alolan Marowak to use another coverage move such as Bonemerang, Knock Off or Stone Edge. Alolan Marowak can also have added wallbreaking potential with Swords Dance.
* Alolan Marowak fits very well in Trick Room with its low Speed, making Pokemon like Cofagrigus and other Trick Room users good options. When running Trick Room, use other Pokemon that utilize Trick Room such as Hoopa or Dhelmise. * Doublade is a decent partner because it can absorb Rock-type moves like Stone Edge while benefiting from Alolan Marowak's offensive presence.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Ghost
--------
* Maximum Speed and a Jolly nature can be optimal in certain situations, such as outspeeding invested Azumarill and base 85 Speed Pokemon like Tapu Fini; however, Alolan Marowak's extra bulk can help in more situations, like taking a Draco Meteor from Hydreigon at full health.
* Due to Alolan Marowak being the only Ghost-type with Will-O-Wisp and Stealth Rock, it can be used as a specially defensive utility Pokemon. However, this set lacks a lot of power, reliable recovery, and can be setup fodder for Fire-type Pokemon.
* Rock Head can be used to negate Flare Blitz recoil; however, this does cause Alolan Marowak to be hit neutrally by Electric-types, which makes it significantly less useful against Electric-types.
* Stone Edge is an option for Alolan Marowak to do more damage against Flying-types such as Zapdos and Mantine, and when combined with Bonemerang, gives Alolan Marowak incredible coverage. However, this can cause four-moveslot syndrome and is a loss of Stealth Rock or a STAB move.
* Swords Dance is an option for added wallbreaking potential; however, the loss of Stealth Rock or a coverage move is generally not worth the extra damage.
Checks and Counters
===================
Ghost
--------
**Tyranitar**: Tyranitar takes little damage from Alolan Marowak's STAB attacks, can survive a Bonemerang, and can Pursuit trap Alolan Marowak.

**Tapu Fini**: Tapu Fini can take a Shadow Bone fairly well and can deal a lot of damage to Alolan Marowak with Surf. Tapu Fini can also use Defog to remove the Stealth Rock that Alolan Marowak sets.

**Water-types**: Although the majority of Water-types can't switch in, Pokemon like Keldeo, Greninja, and other fast Water-types can revenge kill Alolan Marowak with Scald or Hydro Pump.

**Ground-types**: The majority of Ground-types can't switch into Alolan Marowak, but Pokemon like Excadrill and Mamoswine can OHKO it with Earthquake.

**Rock-types**: Rock-types can't switch in if Alolan Marowak carries Bonemerang, but Pokemon such as Nihilego and Terrakion can KO it with Power Gem, Rock Slide, or Stone Edge.
**Dragon-types**: Dragon-types like Dragonite, Hydreigon, and Garchomp can take the damage that Alolan Marowak deals and remove Alolan Marowak with their STAB attacks or coverage moves such as Earthquake and Dark Pulse.

**Dark-types**: The majority of Dark-types such as Greninja and Hydreigon can outspeed and OHKO Alolan Marowak with their super effective STAB moves.

**Physical Walls**: Physical walls that do not take super effective damage from Alolan Marowak's STAB moves can wall it fairly easily, such as Mandibuzz, Quagsire, Rotom-W, and Porygon2 and all of them can remove Alolan Marowak with Foul Play or STAB Water-type attacks. However, the latter can have its Eviolite Knocked Off and can take a lot of damage if Alolan Marowak has enough Speed to outspeed it. Mandibuzz, Quagsire and Rotom-W can also lose their Leftovers or Rocky Helmet with Knock Off.

**Faster Pokemon**: Even though the majority of faster Pokemon get 2HKOed by Alolan Marowak, faster Pokemon with high offensive power such as Alolan Raichu or Alakazam can deal heavy damage to Alolan Marowak.
**Stealth Rock**: Stealth Rock hinders Alolan Marowak, as it takes 25% from Stealth Rock, and with the combination of Flare Blitz recoil, can add up damage very quickly.

Was given permission to implement (since this has been here for a few months now). You can make sure that everything is perfect. I removed Hoopa-U mentions and made a few changes (since there was a couple of redundant lines).

wishes Eien Shiba

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)