Alomomola

Mamanbou

Base Stats:
165/75/80/40/45/65

Okay so it's offensive stats aren't very pretty, but it's defensive capabilities are definitely something to talk about.

Abilities:
Hydration: When Rain Dance is in effect, this Pokémon heals itself of burn, freeze, paralysis, poison, and sleep at the end of each turn. If rain ends on the same turn that this Pokemon is afflicted with a status, that status will not be healed.
Healing Heart: Will occasionally heal teammate's status problems (?)
Regeneration (Dream World): This ability heals 1/3rd of this pokemons HP when switching out.

Hydration and Regeneration are both great abilities for Mamanbou. Hydration gives it 1-turn 100% healing with Rest, which is amazing considering this thing could have nearly as much defensive potential as suicune. Regeneration will aid it in Wish Passing, and lets it worry more about healing it's teammates than itself.

Movepool
Level-Up
Lv1: Pound, Lv1: Water Sport, Lv5: Aqua Ring, Lv9: Aqua Jet, Lv13: Doubleslap, Lv17: [M505], Lv21: Protect, Lv25: Water Pulse, Lv29: Wake-Up Slap, Lv33: [M487], Lv37: Wish, Lv41: Brine, Lv45: Safeguard, Lv49: Helping Hand, Lv53: [M469], Lv57: Healing Wish, Lv61: Hydro Pump

Wish: Something that sets Mamanbou apart from many of the other water types. Regeneration also lets it heal itself when it switched out, so it's definitely possible to Mamanbou to keep supporting its team throughout the match.

Egg
Pain Split
Refresh
Tickle
Mirror Coat
Mist
Endure

Mirror Coat: Mamanbou is likely an above-average user of Mirror Coat thanks to its amazing HP stat. While it won't be reflecting Thunderbolts any time soon, it still has enough HP to take lots of neutral special attacks and reflect them back. Thanks to 165 base HP, it'll take a huge chunk out of the opponent, and you can heal afterward with Wish, Rest (and Hydration), or Regeneration.

TM
TM04 - Calm Mind, TM06 - Toxic, TM07 - Hail, TM10 - Hidden Power, TM13 - Ice Beam, TM14 - Blizzard, TM16 - Light Screen, TM17 - Protect, TM18 - Rain Dance, TM20 - Safeguard, TM21 - Frustration, TM27 - Return, TM29 - Psychic, TM30 - Shadow Ball, TM32 - Double Team, TM42 - Facade, TM44 - Rest, TM45 - Attract, TM48 - Troll, TM55 - Boiling Water, TM77 - Psych Up, TM87 - Swagger, TM90 - Substitute, HM03 - Surf, HM05 - Waterfall, HM06 - Dive

Calm Mind: Calm Mind could help it's pitiful Special Defense, but it won't really be hurting anything with it's special attack anytime soon.
Boiling Water: Mamanbou really shouldn't be using it for the damage, more for the burn chance which would help with Mamanbou's already impressive Defense.

Potential Sets
Mamanbou is definitely a supporting pokemon. I could see it with something like:

Mamanbou w/ Regeneration/Hydration
Impish, Leftovers
252 Def / 252 SpDef / 4 Spe
-Wish
-Protect
-Light Screen
-Boiling Water

Mamanbou would be useful paired with something like Zapdos, who could heal off the SR damage with Wish, and take the incoming Thunderbolt to get a Special Attack Boost.

How do you think Mamanbou will fair in what seems to be a very offensive metagame so far? Will its wish-passing capabilities make it stand out, or is it only a worse Vaporeon/Suicune?

meh...it'll have to compete with Suicune and Vaporeon as a bulky water. Statwise, it's only slightly bulkier than Suicune physically and way frailer specially. As a wish passer, Vaporeon will probably be preferable for its ability to use Boiling Water thanks to it's base 110 SpA. 40 base SpA means Mamanbou can't even use hidden power or ICE BEAM to counter stuff like gyarados and dragons. A waterfall from a mere base 75 Atk just isn't going to cut it, how disappointing.

This thing is like a Vaporeon with much more survivability, but no offensive presence. It can kind of use Boiling Water for that burn rate but it won't be doing much, whereas Waterfall doesn't have the threat of status behind it. Not sure if this thing will be any good or if it's just setup bait like Cressy.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok I'm really disappointed with this thread, Mamanbou looks like it really has some potential. First of all, your EV spread is pretty bad. You should put those HP EVs into SpD as with 165 HP you aren't helping its defenses much with them there. With 0/252 (HP/SpD) it takes less than 75% from Starmie's LO Thunderbolt, which is no small feat for something with 40 SpD that's hit super effectively. Also, why is there no Light Screen?! With great defenses and Wish its a great support Pokemon, and the fact that it recovers 33% of its HP with regeneration as it switches out to heal a teammate with Wish makes it all the sweeter, especially with Light Screen to patch up its SpD! With Light Screen up it isn't even 2HKOed by the aforementioned LO Thunderbolt. To aid even more in team support, Boiling Water should definitely be on the set as well; 30% chance to burn is awesome. If you want to try to stall things out with Mamanbou, why not use Toxic?? Mirror Coat is, in my opinion, gimmicky at best. A set with Wish/Light Screen/Boiling Water or Toxic/Protect is probably what I would run. If you wanted to you could even use Refresh to rid Mamanbou of Toxic and the like. I really think this can be a lot better then Vaporeon when played correctly, when you compare there defense: Mamanbou has 35 more base HP and 25 more Defense. That's huge. Not to mention Light Screen and the ability to heal 33% on switching out, as well as being able to burn physical attackers.

I know Luvdisc can't evolve into this, but lets all pretend it does. Poor thing deserves it.

Regenerate works great on a Wish passer. It removes less of the pressure on Heartfish to heal itself and lets it heal its team mates more frequently. Could be a decent poke.. Depends on if its sickening move pool gets in the way.

Ok I'm really disappointed with this thread, Mamanbou looks like it really has some potential. First of all, your EV spread is pretty bad. You should put those HP EVs into SpD as with 165 HP you aren't helping its defenses much with them there. With 0/252 (HP/SpD) it takes less than 75% from Starmie's LO Thunderbolt, which is no small feat for something with 40 SpD that's hit super effectively. Also, why is there no Light Screen?! With great defenses and Wish its a great support Pokemon, and the fact that it recovers 33% of its HP with regeneration as it switches out to heal a teammate with Wish makes it all the sweeter, especially with Light Screen to patch up its SpD! With Light Screen up it isn't even 2HKOed by the aforementioned LO Thunderbolt. To aid even more in team support, Boiling Water should definitely be on the set as well; 30% chance to burn is awesome. If you want to try to stall things out with Mamanbou, why not use Toxic?? Mirror Coat is, in my opinion, gimmicky at best. A set with Wish/Light Screen/Boiling Water or Toxic/Protect is probably what I would run. If you wanted to you could even use Refresh to rid Mamanbou of Toxic and the like. I really think this can be a lot better then Vaporeon when played correctly, when you compare there defense: Mamanbou has 35 more base HP and 25 more Defense. That's huge. Not to mention Light Screen and the ability to heal 33% on switching out, as well as being able to burn physical attackers.
Lol, relax. I suck and making EV spreads. Fixin' it now.
I figured with mirror coat it would be better with HP EV's but I guess not.
Edit: Fixed. Thanks.

Besides being a Defensive check, there's not much to it. it can't possibly benefit from Calm Mind, since it'll take a long time for it to boost its way to a usable Special Attack.

I know Luvdisc can't evolve into this, but lets all pretend it does. Poor thing deserves it.

Regenerate works great on a Wish passer. It removes less of the pressure on Heartfish to heal itself and lets it heal its team mates more frequently. Could be a decent poke.. Depends on if its sickening move pool gets in the way.
That is so weird that it's not a luvdisc evo. That almost seems like an unintentional sort of mistake, like the psychic/ghost immunity in gen 1.

Anyway, I really don't think we're seeing the potential in hydration sets. Its HP is fantastic, and I thiink it has access to calm mind (hopefully)

Yes, it will most definitely be overshadowed by vaporeon, who has access to all of that and more, but I'm seeing a bright future in the UU rain team, especially with politoed now having drizzle (although it will probably become OU, love it while you can!)

I think this thing will be UU and very useful in the tier. I half don't want to use it, just because it was a total tease for a luvdisc fan like myself. But yeah, it's still sexy. I love regeneration. I think people are kind of underestimating this guy. If you aren't using a rain team it could potentially be more useful than vappy... sometimes, maybe.

This thing is way to overshadowed by other bulky waters (even though it may be better defensively, stat-wise) and Blissey because it really poses no offensive threat and is pure setup bait. However, I'm sure it'll be great in UU as a Milotic alternative that can wish pass.

God damn this thing is bulky. Imagine a spread of..

Heart Fish @ Leftovers
Regeneration
Calm
116 HP / 140 Defense / 252 Special Defense

Boiling Water
Wish
Protect / Light Screen
HP Electric

Protect is arguably not as needed because of Regenerate.

Scarf Heatran HP Grass: 34.8% - 41.2%
Scarf Heatran Fire Blast: 22.2% - 26.4%
0 SA Zapdos Thunderbolt: 56.8% - 67.2%
+2 Nasty Plot Infernape Grass Knot: 66.4% - 78.4%
+0 Grass Knot under Light Screen: 16.8% - 20%

Mixape Close Combat: 37.8% - 44.6%
+1 LO Gyarados Earthquake: 46.4% - 54.6%

This spread has about 95% the Special Defense Vaporeon has with a 188/252/68 spread. Heart Fish has 7% greater physical durability however. Regeneration gives it a massive boost in indestructibility. On the other hand it lacks Vaporeon't 110 base Special Attack, giving it a much more difficult time taking down Gyarados without dying in the process (though Regenerate lets it come back from the brink of death).

The stats and movepools are similar enough, but I like Regeneration more than Water Absorb. And if Special Defense isn't an issue Heart Fish can invest in Physical Defense and become about as tough as Hippowdon.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I imagine that this thing might just not die if it is used in the lower tiers. Its a nice wish passer for sure butt I think it does not get much over other bulky waters.

I would not bother attacking with this thing at all.

It has a special attack of 116 (31 IV, 0 EV). That is beyond pathetic. HP Electric will barely do anything to Gyarados coming off 116 special attack.

Boiling Water's burn rate is sexy, but 70% of the time we will do PATHETIC damage and NOT burn the target. That's not worh it IMO.

I would just use Toxic and add another support move. With no attacks you're going to be Taunt bait, but you're always going to be Taunt bait if you use this thing.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
[M505]: Psychic Other Power: --- / Accuracy: ---
Heals target 50% Max HP

[M487]: Water Other Power: --- / Accuracy: 100
Changes target's type to Water

[M469]: Rock Other Power: --- / Accuracy: ---
User and allies protected from multi-target attacks

487 seems interesting to say the least.

Now that it appears that Wish passes 50% of the user's HP and not the recipients, what does this mean for Mamanbou as a supporter? Or is it still outclassed by Vaporeon?

sorry for being off topic but

"On another note I've been looking at stats too much. The weather channel was on and I saw 92 95 100 86 89 89 and I was like meh, decent stats."

made me lmao thanks for the laugh

and now to attempt to be on topic
1. grrr at not a Luvdisc evo
and
2. i also agree that an atking move on this thing is a waste its like trying to kill something with struggle

This Pokemon has the potential to pass the third largest wishes in the game, next to Chansey & Blissey. That alone is worth considering. It may also be (after Wobbuffet) the second best user of Mirror Coat ever, thanks to huge HP, low special defense, and Regeneration / Hydration-Rest. Light screen support is also smexy.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
He looks like a Vaporeon with more HP and Defense, but less Sp.Atk and Sp.Def. Passing Wish off of 165 Base HP is something to talk about, and his Physical Walling Potential is amazing. It's too bad he has to rely on a Boiling Water Burn to do any feasible damage..

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Anything with Hydration should definitely be looked at closely- a 100% healing from Rest with no drawbacks is nothing to scoff at.

Its physical walling potentials are ludicrous, this thing can take a hit like a brick wall and just Rest off the damage (or wish if you aren't running Hydration). It's quite lacking on the special side, however, as all4game mentioned previously.

Calm mind might aid in this problem, and give it additional survivability on the special end.

However, with its incredibly sub-par attacking stats, I think running Toxic on any set is a must- walling is of no use if you can't at least wear the opponent down somehow, and Boiling Water isn't going to be doing much besides burning.

Rain support is a must if you are using Hydration, and Drizzletoed will be an excellent partner to Mamanbou. In the rain, it also receives the boost to its STAB Boiling Water, which after a few Calm Minds might actually begin to dent something.

Indeed the news that Wish might be based of the user's hp is excellent news for Mamanbou. Even better support healing then before + the other support options she has (Light Screen, Toxic, ect...) just might be enough to put her in the running for a team spot. Probably not in the same tier as Vaporeon but in lower tiers? I could see it.

Mamanbou @ Leftovers
Calm, Regeneration
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
- Light Screen
- Protect
- Toxic
- Wish

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
it only has 80 base defense, it could use some investment.

a ton of hp evs is possibly impractical.

How about: 252 sdef / 180 def / 76 hp.

something similar, no?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)