All Gens ALT PL Vol.2 - Commencement

alt pl altaria.png

(Art by Kolohe )
Hosted by BigFatMantis and Hiro'

Announcements | Spreadsheet | Player Signups

Welcome to the second edition of the Ancient Lower Tiers Premier League! Lower tiers of these older gens tend to get less representation in their respective subforums for many team tours, so this tour is designed with the goal to give these tiers an extra team tour to shine! You may now COMMENCE!

Teams and managers

:gligar: Goldenrod Gligars - dawnbuster and Concept Everything
:snorlax: Slay Queen Snorlaxes - Sabelette and corvere
:gengar: Old Gangster Gengars - Beleth and Inder
:Torchic: Trailblazer Torchics - BeeOrSomething and Teh
:Cradily: Criminal Cradilys - Amaranth and Maître Apagnan
:misdreavus: Mistresses Misdreavus - Glue and HSOWA

EllingtonReborn

I'm Amity
is a Pre-Contributor
Now that drafts are done, heres my personal ranking of each team.

1. :gligar: Goldenrod Gligars - Extremely good lineup and the manager support is the icing on the cake, I dont think any player that was drafted here is unfamiliar with any ancient lower tier, big names like Dawn Heysup and UD. I think this sits at the top and at worst case grand finals.

2. :misdreavus: Mistresses Misdreavus - This draft has TONS of pizzazz, a lot of the players here are known to have great records and if they carry that into ALTPL Missys should be able to be consistently high without breaking a sweat.

3. :torchic: Trailblazer Torchics - I cant really think of a hole in torchics slots, great all around and is tied with Snorlaxes for most support (on draft), I expect good things to come from Torchics, especially in their ADV like Stockings Jabba SEA is an amazing trio. Good retains, Torchics.

4. :snorlax: Slay Queen Snorlaxes - I think this draft went as I would expect, great RBY, solid GSC, lackluster ADV. They have some slots that might be able to carry but I think they'll have to get lucky in ADV to go far, yknow?

5. :gengar: Old Gangster Gengars - Very solid names here and I think this is probably the best manager duo, but I think I dont think anyone stands out at the top, just a bunch of players well accustomed to ancient lower tiers.

6. :cradily: Criminal Cradilys - ngl this draft makes me yawn, I think the main consistent slots are Amaranth Nicole MrSoup but I think in comparison to the rest of the competition Cradilys doesn't appeal in any real slot. Someone's gotta be last, sorry Cradilys :/

I hope that every team has a good season, this ALTPL looks very nice and I'm excited to see what will unfold!

:bw/Machamp: OFFICIAL ALT PL II POWER RANKINGS :bw/Blaziken:
Sponsored by Chipotle

The official Committee of ALT PL Rankers Extraordinaires has returned from their secluded castle in Ireland after 9 weeks of deliberations to bring you the following rankings, sorted first by generation, and then the overall rankings. Now let us begin:

:rb/Mewtwo: :rb/Tentacruel: :rb/Mr. Mime: RBY RANKINGS

#1: :rs/Snorlax: Slay Queen Snorlaxes (10 pts +2 TBD)
In an extremely close race for the top RBY team, the Snorlaxes just barely edge out the other two contenders thanks to the Smogon Protagonist Sabelette leading the charge as an RBY mainstay and a quite capable player in all 3 RBY lower tiers. Melbelle is also one of the arguably most knowledgeable players in the current RBY UU metagame, while King Billu is coming off a very strong RBY PL and can handle Ubers just fine. Basically, all three of their starters self sufficient and among the best in their respective pools, while their managerial support and (probably) high level of outside support seals the deal as the top squad in Pokemon Red Blue and Yellow Lower Tiers.

#2: :rs/Gligar: Goldenrod Gligars (10 pts +1 TBD)
The Goldenrod Gligars have an insanely solid RBY squad, and some may argue it's the best given the closeness in scoring here. CollectorEly, Unowndragon, and chub could all at different points in time be considered the best in their respective pools, and some could make an argument for any one of them even today. However it's been clear in recent tours that, while CollectorEly seems to be on the rise, Unowndragon has slightly fallen off, while chub is probably just as good as he's always been. Unfortunately they don't have much support besides Paulluxx (stolen player from the Snorlaxes) and their managers likely aren't going to be able to contribute as much there either. But luckily these slots don't need much support at all and they should all have a very solid season.

#3: :rs/Cradily: Criminal Cradilys (10 pts)
The final team at the top of the RBY rankings is the Criminal Cradilys, and as expected a team managed by Amaranth will have no shortage of RBY prowess. Nicole is one of the best of the best at RBY NU, while Sceptross has made a surprise entrance in a lower tier tour to take a swing at the Ubers metagame. NotVeryCake is a solid RBY player as well, though the UU pool is quite stacked and they may fall a little behind the rest. Amaranth is able to support any slots needing help, and they also have RBY Lower Tiers champion MrSoup available for support or just to slot in if needed. All in all a solid RBY squad, could argue it's even the best, but with how great all these top 3 teams were it was impossible to do all of them justice.

#4: :rs/Misdreavus: Mistresses Misdreavus (9 pts)
Not too far off the top, the Misdreavus Mistresses are able to stand with anyone in RBY. Torchic has always been a legendary RBY hero and can support all RBY slots tremendously while also being at the top of his UU pool. While I am unsure how much Ubers YBW has played, his skill level in RBY Rands and UU and NU should translate to a good Ubers player as well, and he'll have plenty of help from Torchic I'm sure. Cao Jie is a solid NU player but lags a bit behind the rest of the stacked NU pool. In truth, all of the RBY pools this tour are a bit crazy and the Mistresses even have Volk slotted in GSC that can still provide good RBY support in UU and NU primarily. Good things are expected of the Mistresses and while they're not at the top of RBY rankings it wouldn't shock me to see them there at season's end.

#5: :rs/Torchic: Trailblazer Torchics (8 pts)
The Torchics without Torchic are unfortunately no longer at the top of the RBY rankings. However they don't have a bad squad either - Narwhal and Shellnuts are RBY household names that can hold down their tiers just fine. SEA is a little more uncertain, as while she was enthusiastic to try RBY NU there isn't much history there that the committee is aware of. But if you go by mons is mons theorem, she will do just fine and does have some managerial support from Teh. Ctown will be good support while he's not playing and, in an ideal world, plays later in the season to give them a huge boost in whatever tier he slots into. So while the Torchics are #5 right now, I reckon to bet they are probably a top RBY team end of season when Ctown starts playing, and they'll be able to run with all the other top teams as they are hopefully in a good position to close out the season.

#6: :rs/Gengar: Old Gangster Gengars (6 pts)
Not sure what happened on this one. Fc is fine in RBY Ubers, and Tree is fine in RBY UU, though the pools are so stacked that neither is really at the top of their pools. Phoopes is uhh, ok? The Committee was unable to find recent RBY NU achievements there. And as for support there's, well, nobody really. Good luck everyone.

-----------------------

:gs/Celebi: :gs/Granbull: GSC Rankings :gs/Octillery: :gs/Elekid:

#1: :rs/Snorlax: Slay Queen Snorlaxes (13 pts)
This team has a GSC PL Champion Managing (corvere) and a GSC PL Champion playing (Raahel), and also has probably the best GSC Player overall (Conflict) on the team. Not to mention UUFPL Best GSC Player Award Recipient pp's splash town. And Diannie is also good, and while not as accomplished in NU as in PU, she is still very capable of doing well there. This team really has it all across the board for GSC, and even has backup/contingency plans if things don't work out as players like Deezcastforms and kenny are sitting on the bench for support and games. Expect them near the top of the GSC standings all season long.

#2: :rs/Cradily: Criminal Cradilys (12 pts)
A team with both MrSoup and vani should most definitely be at or near the top of the GSC rankings. Some would put them as a clear #1 but it was a little close this year once the Committee held their final vote. Lialiabeast is a good player but lags slightly in the UU pool behind the others. Amaranth is obviously solid but we're not sure if he's ever touched GSC PU. That shouldn't matter much though as vani and MrSoup can provide plenty of insight there. There's not that much support outside of the starters but that's ok since that's all the support any team really needs. These criminals (and saints) will do just fine.

#3: :rs/Torchic: Trailblazer Torchics (11 pts +2 TBD)
The middle of the pack race was quite close, but the Torchics edged out the rest of the teams as the #3 overall squad in GSC. Bee is coming off a very solid GSC PL that almost resulted in an undefeated season, and has plenty of knowledge to impart on all of UU/NU/PU. Mystras is coming off a very strong UUSD and has been overall positive in his last few tours, hoping to keep up the good streak. Cyberacc is a little more behind the Ubers pool but should be able to pick it up and grab some wins nonetheless. BloodAce is likely fine at PU, but PU this tour is going to be a real question mark as it's the first major team tour to have it. Overall the Torchics are good, but just not quite up to speed with the other two juggernauts at the top.

#4: :rs/Gengar: Old Gangster Gengars (11 pts +1 TBD)
Also in the middle of the pack are the OGs. Estarossa and Oathkeeper are very solid in UU and NU respectively, and Estarossa has been itching to compete in this Muk meta for some time. Inder has probably not played much GSC Ubers lately but he's played it before at a high level and done well, and he can also help support UU as well. Feen is slotted in PU which is actually a very good fit in a this uncertain meta, but it's also unpredictable. Overall these Gengars are very old school, which makes sense given their team name, and they will gather wins consistently even if not bountifully.

#5: :rs/Misdreavus: Mistresses Misdreavus (11 pts)
Ranked #5 is surprising for this team, as they have very good GSC players in LpZ, Chiles Habaneros, and Real FV13. However Chiles in Ubers was a bit of a question mark, and Volk playing GSC NU is acceptable but the pool is not kind to him. The Misdreavuses could have easily been ranked third though as LpZ in PU sounds like a very solid plan, and FV is going to do well as always. If Chiles has a breakout season at Ubers and Volk gathers up a few wins they could surprise the committee and even wound up near the very top of the rankings. Who knows! I'm sure these guys think they can do it just fine.

#6: :rs/Gligar: Goldenrod Gligars (10 pts)
Are you telling me a team managed by dawnbuster is last in the GSC rankings? That's crazy. And while dawnbuster is likely the best GSC PU in the pool, the rest of their GSC leaves a bit to be desired. Paulluxx in GSC Ubers, in a pool stacked with the likes of vani and Conflict, is probably not going to go how they hope. SANKE CARP is a great player that will get lots of support from dawnbuster, but also can be inconsistent at times and is going to have a lot to live up to with that 18000 pricetag. Innovamania is a solid presence in NU that can also have dawnbuster support, and the pool isn't that bad for Inno to likely even go positive. Overall it's actually not THAT bad (after all they were only 1 point away from being part of the middle-of-the-pack tie), but it's also not amazing. They will have some work to do to reach the top here.

------------------------------

:rs/Deoxys-Attack: :rs/Solrock: :rs/Wailord: ADV RANKINGS

#1: :rs/Torchic: Trailblazer Torchics (11 pts)
This one was actually not close at all. The Torchics are far and away the best ADV team in the entire league. You've got Jabba playing UU who, despite some recent reports, is actually not washed and seems to be happy playing a somewhat newish UU meta. Stockings is probably the most accomplished ADV NU player in the pool, and Ajencis knows enough about ADV Ubers to stand up to anyone there. And let's not forget SEA is playing RBY but can easily support all 3 of these ADV slots as well. The Torchics should be strong all season long here.

#2: :rs/Gligar: Goldenrod Gligars (10 pts)
It's impossible for a team with Heysup to not be near the top of the ADV rankings. In fact, Heysup alone is propelling the Gligars into the #2 spot here as the undisputed top player in the new UU Lapras meta. Alkione in ADV Ubers is kind of an unknown, but Heysup should be able to provide enough support there (it worked out for UU in UUFPL after all). Magician is a fine ADV player that should perform well in the somewhat middling ADV NU pool. Innovamania can also help support UU and NU here (not that it's needed with Heysup supporting). Overall they have capable players, and they should have all the tools to make competent teams. They're gonna be ok.

#3: :rs/Misdreavus: Mistresses Misdreavus (9 pts)
Glue is back for some ADV lower tier action, and has assembled a very solid squad for this tour. Temp is coming off winning the first ever ADV Grand Slam recently, proving their worth in all ADV lower tiers and should be a top name in the Ubers pool. Parpar has historically been a solid ADV UU player and should continue to prosper there. Goldmason is a little less proven, but as previously mentioned the ADV NU pool is not that stacked so there should be some wins to be gotten here with Glue's support. The Mistresses can easily end the season atop the ADV standings, and they're seated comfortably at 3 here.

#4: :rs/Snorlax: Slay Queen Snorlaxes (7 pts)
The Snorlaxes are not BAD really. They have some decent players here like Bughouse and gorex. They're just not quite as powerful as the other 3 teams above them, though if Frrf has a breakout campaign in ADV Ubers this could turn the tables tremendously. Their support is also a bit weak - they have both Lasen and Ainzcrad that can help support Ubers but no real support for UU and NU. This might be ok though, as Ubers is where they would need support the most and their other starters should in theory be somewhat self sufficient. While there's no "wow" factor here, it might be fine, and it's not impossible for them to outperform their expectations and end the season well.

#5: :rs/Cradily: Criminal Cradilys (6 pts +1 TBD)
This team is a bit shaky in ADV overall. Rhmsitb has a name that's really difficult to type out but at least should be fine in Ubers without much support needed. Avarice is ok and probably is able to pull UU Lapras teams from secret sources at least, but building may be an issue with no real support on the team. Plznostep is a fantastic ADV PU player that I'm sure can handle NU fine though that remains to be confirmed (and they have sleid on the bench with about the same assessment). I don't really see many builders in their support squad for any of these tiers either, so it's going to be a long season unless they're able to find teams each week from other sources somehow, or get some sort of support in there.

#6: :rs/Gengar: Old Gangster Gengars (6 pts)
Beleth, Micciu, and Beraldo are all great players. Micciu even can build in ADV UU. But beyond that there's not much here, and I'm not really sure how they're going to make Ubers and NU teams without some sort of support that we don't know about. And, very unfortunately, this is the last write up we are doing so I am very tired and not able to drum up much content anymore for this slot. Go team tho.

-------------------------

OVERALL RANKINGS

#1: :rb/Snorlax: Slay Queen Snorlaxes (30 pts +2 ATBD)
#2: :rs/Torchic: Trailblazer Torchics (30 pts +1 ATBD)
#3: :gs/Gligar: Goldenrod Gligars (30 pts)
#4: :gs/Misdreavus: Mistresses Misdreavus (29 pts)
#5: :rs/Cradily: Criminal Cradilys (28 pts)
#6: :rb/Gengar: Old Gangster Gengars (23 pts)

Sabelette

from the river to the sea
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Did a shoutout post on discord but I wanna also throw a shoutout to Paulluxx for doing so much work to help me and corvere understand the ADV draft pool - truly you helped immensely and I'm so sad we got sniped at the end when trying to get you.

Immensely proud of my team for taking a 0-2 start to a 3-2 playoff run. <3 you all

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)