Alternate Arena, Same Passionate Battling! (OU Warstory)

Well, I had some interesting experiences here, and figured I would share a recent battle I had with a user named Wind on Pokemon Online. This would be my first warstory, and the Creator program thought PO logs were unprocessable, so bear with me. It was overall a close match. My comments will be in purple, and I will omit Leftovers from Pokemon after first turn of activation.

Colonel Darren's moves will be in Red.
Wind's moves will be in Blue.

Tier: OverUsed
Variation: +17, -14
Rule: Rated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Evasion Clause
Rule: OHKO Clause
Rule: Species Clause

Wind sent out Azelf!
Colonel Darren sent out Empoleon!

He leads with Azelf, and I lead with a variation of Empoleon's lead set, forgoing Stealth Rock for Ice Beam as a more reliable way to beat certain leads like Aerodactyl and Ninjask without a Hydro Pump missing. I know Azelf likely can't touch the thing, so he'd either set up rocks, trick a Scarf, or U-turn, either of the latter showing he's scarfed.

Start of turn 1
The foe's Azelf used U-turn!
It's not very effective...
Empoleon lost 38 HP! (10% of its health)
Wind called Azelf back!
Wind sent out Vaporeon!

Empoleon used Hydro Pump!
The foe's Vaporeon's Water Absorb made the attack useless!

A good prediction by Wind, as I run Grass Knot and won't secure even close to a 3HKO. I'm fearful that it runs HP Electric to threaten Empoleon or ward off a Gyrados sweep later, so I'll go to Lanturn. If it ends up with Toxic, it would let me know if Gyrados can sweep or not.

Start of turn 2
Colonel Darren called Empoleon back!
Colonel Darren sent out Lanturn!

The foe's Vaporeon used Surf!
Lanturn lost 66 HP! (14% of its health)

Lanturn restored a little HP using its Leftovers! (Omitted from logs)

Start of turn 3
Lanturn used Thunder Wave!
The foe's Vaporeon is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

The foe's Vaporeon used Wish!

I go for the Thunder Wave hoping to catch something on the switch. If push comes to shove, at the very least Dusknoir can outspeed now and set up a Substitute for his SubPunch set before he gets hit with Toxic.

Start of turn 4
Lanturn used Thunderbolt!
It's super effective!
The foe's Vaporeon lost 41% of its health!

The foe's Vaporeon used Toxic!
Lanturn was badly poisoned!

Vaporeon's wish came true! (Vaporeon runs Leftovers, will be omitted.)
Lanturn is hurt by poison!

This can be considered one of my flops. I realize now I should have just risked it and sent in Gyrados to Taunt, taking a chance. Toxic on my bulkier Lanturn is definitely not a good thing at all, as I don't run a Cleric. However, this confirms it would not run HP Electric if it runs Protect, so I can send in Gyrados to taunt it while it sets up, or at least stop a second Wish.

Start of turn 5
Colonel Darren called Lanturn back!
Colonel Darren sent out Gyarados!

Gyarados intimidates the foe's Nethuns!
The foe's Nethuns's Attack fell!
The foe's Nethuns is paralyzed! It can't move!

Start of turn 6
Gyarados used Taunt!
The foe's Vaporeon fell for the taunt!

The foe's Vaporeon is paralyzed! It can't move!

I really got lucky here, a bit of a disappointment that hax would strike now instead of later. I'm predicting a switch, so I might as well go for the Dragon Dance. There currently are no Stealth Rocks up, so I could take advantage.

Start of turn 7
Wind called Vaporeon back!
Wind sent out Starmie!

Gyarados used Dragon Dance!
Gyarados's Attack rose!
Gyarados's Speed rose!

Or so I thought. It turns out that Gyrados would not be sweeping today, as I run a bulkier build that forgoes a bit of speed for health. I'm going to predict the thunderbolt and undo some of the damage Toxic wore on Lanturn.

Start of turn 8
Colonel Darren called Gyarados back!

The foe's Starmie used Thunderbolt!
Lanturn's Volt Absorb absorbs the attack!

Start of turn 9
Wind called Constelle back!
Wind sent out Gliscor!

It had no effect!

Some members of my team have a bit of a problem with Gliscor, as I have quite a few ground weaknesses, and only two can hit him effectively SE from Special. I'm going to predict the Earthquake and go to one of my resists, Celebi.

Start of turn 10
Colonel Darren sent out Celebi!

The foe's Gliscor used Taunt!
Celebi fell for the taunt!

Shit. My Celebi is a supporting variant of Tinkerbell, running a bit bulkier EVs and setting up the rocks that I removed from Empoleon. He is either going to set up or attack to predict a switch. I stay in to weather a possible Earthquake, or to hit his switch hard with Leaf Storm.

Start of turn 11
The foe's Cutter used U-turn!
It's super effective!
Celebi lost 168 HP! (41% of its health)
Wind called Cutter back!
Wind sent out Azelf!

Celebi used Leaf Storm!
The foe's Will lost 87% of its health!
Celebi's Sp. Att. sharply fell!

Celebi restored a little HP using its Leftovers! (Omitted)

My misprediction costs Celebi about half it's life, but I breathe a sigh of relief. I'm fearful of a Trick, so I go to my own Scarf user, Jirachi.

Start of turn 12
Colonel Darren called Celebi back!
Colonel Darren sent out Jirachi!

The foe's Will used U-turn!
Jirachi lost 65 HP! (19% of its health)
Wind called Will back!
Wind sent out Infernape!

Regardless of what you may think, I don't run a Flinchrachi set with Choice Scarf. Instead, I use a special variant to deal with problems like Flygon, Gengar, and his latest switch, and Infernape. He was likely going for a Nasty Plot, but I know with confidence I can outspeed unless it too is a Scarfer.

Start of turn 13
Jirachi used Psychic!
It's super effective!
The foe's Infernape lost 100% of its health!
The foe's Infernape fainted!

Wind sent out Vaporeon!

At long last, the first kill of the game goes to Jirachi, bringing the score 6-5 against Wind. Or rather, 5-5, as a number of my members are quite wounded. I know there's really nothing he can do, and I don't want my other team members under Toxic, so I switch to Empoleon to try my luck with Grass Knot.

Start of turn 14
Colonel Darren called Jirachi back!

Start of turn 15
Empoleon used Grass Knot!
It's super effective!
The foe's Vaporeon lost 31% of its health!

Vaporeon's wish came true!

A 4HKO is definitely not a better idea of mine. I switch back to Jirachi, hopefully to trick it my scarf, thinking his fastest threat was Infernape.

Start of turn 16
Colonel Darren called Empoleon back!

Start of turn 17
Wind called Nethuns back!
Wind sent out Cutter! (Gliscor)

Jirachi used Trick!
Jirachi switched items with the foe's Gliscor!
Jirachi obtained one Leftovers!
The foe's Gliscor obtained one Choice Scarf!

Jirachi restored a little HP using its Leftovers! (Omitted.)

This could have been either very good, or very bad. I've locked it into one move, making things a bit easier, but I'm on the fence. It could be an offensive variant, or a likely more tankish build. I risk the Uturn to get Celebi back in on an Earthquake, hoping to recover after a resisted hit.

Start of turn 18
Colonel Darren sent out Celebi!

The foe's Gliscor used U-turn!
It's super effective!
Celebi lost 168 HP! (41% of its health)
Wind called Gliscor back!
Wind sent out Azelf!

My mispredictions cost me my first member, knowing what he's about to do for no risk. The lack of rocks and a second paralysis spreader would hamper me severely.

Start of turn 19
The foe's Azelf used U-turn!
It's super effective!
Celebi lost 118 HP! (29% of its health)
Celebi fainted!
Wind called Azelf back!
Wind sent out Vaporeon!

Gyarados intimidates the foe's Nethuns!
The foe's Nethuns's Attack fell!

I really don't want this thing hitting me with Toxic, even though Gyrados may not mind entirely. I wouldn't be keeping it in long enough to sweep knowing his Starmie outspeeds my +1 Gyra, so I just taunt to prevent his Wish.

Start of turn 20
Gyarados used Taunt!
The foe's Vaporeon fell for the taunt!

The foe's Nethuns is paralyzed! It can't move!

Again parahax strikes, but not in my favor, as Vaporeon was likely to be blocked by Taunt from wishing anyway. I momentarily lapse and forget of his Starmie, again going for the DD.

Start of turn 21
Wind sent out Starmie!

Gyarados used Dragon Dance!
Gyarados's Attack rose!
Gyarados's Speed rose!

Start of turn 22

Lanturn's Volt Absorb absorbs the attack!

I'm at a confliction here for this move. I know for sure that he wouldn't leave Starmie in against me, as even Grass Knot wouldn't hit me for much. I also know he isn't going to bring Vaporeon back in risking a Thunderbolt. He's either going to bring in Gliscor, or something else that could ravage my team, like Heatran. I choose Surf instead, knowing I could probably take his Vaporeon if it came back in, and I was fearful of a Heatran getting in on next to nothing from Ice Beam. I still had no idea of his final remaining Pokemon, and was letting worst-case-scenario thinking get to me.

Start of turn 23
Wind called Starmie back!
Wind sent out Gliscor!

Lanturn used Surf!
It's super effective!
The foe's Gliscor lost 75% of its health!

I kick myself for realizing I could have killed it outright with Ice Beam, but predict a retaliation Earthquake coming in, so I flee to Gyrados. Besides, I doubt he would Taunt or Roost against Lanturn.

Start of turn 24
Wind called Gliscor back!
Wind sent out Vaporeon!

Gyarados intimidates the foe's Vaporeon!
The foe's Vaporeon's Attack fell!

Start of turn 25
Wind sent out Starmie!

Gyarados used Taunt!
The foe's Starmie fell for the taunt!

I'm getting quite peeved of Starmie coming back in, especially with all these potential switches punished by rocks had I not made my earlier mistake that cost me Celebi. But I think for a moment, I've gone to Lanturn twice now. He's likely to get smart and go for a Grass Knot, and I can't risk that and poison eating his health away, as he's already at half. I choose someone else to either come in on a neutral Grass Knot or a resisted Surf targeted for perhaps Jirachi.

Start of turn 26

The foe's Starmie used Surf!
Empoleon lost 97 HP! (27% of its health)

Wind tries to predict the switch to Jirachi, but is met with Empoleon. He didn't quite do his antilead job well enough, and I need to sacrifice to bring Jirachi in safely. Sorry bud.

Start of turn 27
It's super effective!
Empoleon lost 213 HP! (61% of its health)
Empoleon fainted!

Start of turn 28
Wind called Starmie back!
Wind sent out Vaporeon!

Jirachi used Draco Meteor!
The foe's Vaporeon lost 30% of its health!
Jirachi's Sp. Att. sharply fell!

I was predicting a switch to Gliscor or an unseen Pokemon, at the time I thought was Flygon, and wanted to get him out of the way quickly, thinking a Thunderbolt too risky and easily predictable, though Wind suprised me by calling my bluff. I doubt that I can kill it with a -2 Tbolt, so I call in my last unrevealed Pokemon, Dusknoir.

Start of turn 29
Colonel Darren sent out Dusknoir!
Dusknoir is exerting its Pressure!

I seem to be getting a bit of unnecessary hax lately, as he would have been unlikely to Toxic on the switch, likely instead going for the Wish. I decide to set up my Subpunch Dusknoir, blocking Toxic and attempting to go for the kill.

Start of turn 30
Dusknoir used Substitute!
Dusknoir made a substitute!

The foe's Vaporeon used Toxic!
Dusknoir's substitute blocked Toxic!

Dusknoir restored a little HP using its Leftovers! (Omitted)

Start of turn 31
Dusknoir is tightening its focus!

Dusknoir used Focus Punch!
The foe's Nethuns lost 35% of its health!

Great...Still not good enough. I'm going to go for the Punch one more time as he breaks my sub, and get Jirachi in on a Wish.

Start of turn 32
Dusknoir's substitute faded!

The foe's Nethuns lost 40% of its health!

Start of turn 33
Colonel Darren called Dusknoir back!

I'm really starting to feel for Wind at this point, knowing that was a Wish or attack to break a predicted sub.

Start of turn 34
Jirachi used Thunderbolt!
It's super effective!
The foe's Vaporeon lost 40% of its health!

Still not good enough. This thing is deceptively bulky. I start to spam Psychic to get a SpD drop, hoping after one or two, I could OHKO the thing with Thunderbolt.

Start of turn 35
Jirachi used Psychic!
The foe's Vaporeon lost 28% of its health!
The foe's Vaporeon's Sp. Def. fell!

Jirachi lost 112 HP! (32% of its health)

I get the drop I was hoping for. I try for one more on the off chance Gliscor comes in, then to follow with a Tbolt.

Start of turn 36
Jirachi used Psychic!
A critical hit!
The foe's Vaporeon lost 74% of its health!
The foe's Vaporeon fainted!

Wind sent out Gliscor!

The score is now 5-4, and I'm starting to really feel for Wind. He's a great opponent, and I feel that critical was a bit cheap. But then again, if I gotten another drop, he likely would fall to Tbolt the next try, or I would have nailed Azelf or Gliscor on the switch as he tries to save Vaporeon to pass Wishes around. Now I'm fearful for a moment, but then I realize something: If he runs Taunt, he must be a defensive build. I decide to risk the Earthquake and finish this thing off, thinking Jirachi can take one hit.

Start of turn 37
The foe's Gliscor used Earthquake!
It's super effective!
Jirachi lost 206 HP! (60% of its health)

Jirachi used Psychic!
The foe's Gliscor lost 24% of its health!
The foe's Gliscor fainted!

Wind sent out Starmie!

Jirachi picks up it's third kill of the match, and I can breath a bit easier now, knowing Lanturn would have a better time. I know Starmie outspeeds, and I want to build up a bit of Life Orb damage on it before bringing in Lanturn, who he might catch with Surf or Grass Knot. You did great, Jirachi.

Start of turn 38
The foe's Starmie used Surf!
Jirachi lost 86 HP! (25% of its health)
Jirachi fainted!

Start of turn 39
Wind called Constelle back!
Wind sent out Azelf!

The foe's Azelf lost 12% of its health!
The foe's Azelf fainted!

Wind sent out Lucario!

Catching Azelf with the now risk-free Thunderbolt helps me rest a bit easier, knowing a potential TrickScarf or Explosion has been averted. His final unrevealed Pokemon, however, quickly fills me with dread. My only answer that can handle him would be Dusknoir, who can't switch in that easily. I decide to risk Lanturn, either getting off a Thunder Wave or at least being able to bring in Dusknoir for free as well as rack up Life Orb damage. The worst he could do is take the moment to Swords Dance.

Start of turn 40
The foe's Lucario used Close Combat!
Lanturn lost 382 HP! (84% of its health)
The foe's Lucario's Defense fell!
The foe's Lucario's Sp. Def. fell!

Lanturn used Thunder Wave!
The foe's Lucario is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
Lanturn fainted!

Colonel Darren sent out Dusknoir!
Dusknoir is exerting its Pressure!

I am VERY suprised he did not try to predict a switch and set up a Swords Dance, likely confident that he could KO Lanturn. He's half right, Lanturn barely able to paralyze the foe before Vaporeon's Toxic takes it. I am now at an impasse, as my Dusknoir has no reliable way to hit it aside from Focus Punch. I have to get a sub and keep it, hoping that he would Swords Dance. However, Wind knows I run Focus Punch. If he runs Crunch, I lose, but if he runs something with less accuracy, I could win from a miss or full paralysis.

Start of turn 41

The foe's Lucario used Stone Edge!

Shit. He's going for the attack, and Dusknoir can only put up 3 more subs safely. I am really starting to panic at this moment, knowing Gyrados can't take it due to Starmie still in the back, and remaining out of Stone Edge's KO range.

Start of turn 42

Start of turn 43

Start of turn 44

The attack of the foe's Lucario missed!

At this point I realize I've won. I don't need the Substitute for Starmie, I just need one to kill Lucario. Sucker Punch would take Starmie for the game.

Start of turn 45
The foe's Lucario used Swords Dance!
The foe's Lucario's Attack sharply rose!

It's super effective!
The foe's Lucario lost 90% of its health!
The foe's Lucario fainted!

Wind sent out Starmie!

Wind told me later that I managed to Pressure Stall him out of Stone Edge PP. To be quite honest, I had completely forgotten, realizing that I really didn't need an intact sub all along then. At this point, we exhanged good games.

Start of turn 46
Dusknoir used Sucker Punch!
It's super effective!
The foe's Starmie lost 70% of its health!
The foe's Starmie fainted!

Colonel Darren won the battle! 2-0

Props:
Jirachi for taking out half the enemy team.
Dusknoir for pulling off a clutch victory that could have ended in disaster.
Wind for being a fantastic opponent, and his always-threatening Starmie and Lucario.
Vaporeon for walling my team to hell and back.

Slops:
Azelf, Celebi, Gyrados, and Empoleon all being able to do respectively nothing.
Constant parahax, I apologize to Wind for it.
Tricking a Scarf to Gliscor who remained to threaten half my team with Earthquake.
Constant overpredictions on my end.

It's tough on the eyes. Sprites aren't the big deal, just make all of your opponents moves one color, and your moves another. Omit nicknames. Look at an archived warstory. Once this is fixed, it will be much better to read. The battle seems good, fix the formatting and I can finish the warstory.
EDIT: Readable. Not a bad battle, some ok predictions. It certainly wasn't outstanding though and that vappy got haxed to oblivion, annoying. good for a first attempt.

I would prefer a few pictures, and easier to read text coloration. Also, I would omit nicknames, they can get confusing sometimes

It's tough on the eyes. Sprites aren't the big deal, just make all of your opponents moves one color, and your moves another. Omit nicknames. Look at an archived warstory.

Once this is fixed, it will be much better to read. The battle seems good, fix the formatting and I can finish the warstory.

Thank you, I'll edit it now. My moves will be Red, Wind's to be Blue.

Wind didn't make any particularly impressive plays, nor did any of his sets look very interesting. I saw pretty much basic-level prediction and entirely safe or obvious plays on both sides. I can only assume that his Lucario wasted all the PP of the only attack that could hit Dusknoir on your Subs, due to Pressure, and the note that pretty much every Swords Dance Lucario runs Extremespeed. Then again, at that point he had already lost without you even realizing it, because his Starmie couldn't afford to come and and let you have a free sub, and his Lucario only had 8 PP to hit you with, but Pressure shot it down to 4. Timid Life Orb Starmie does not outrun even the bulky Gyarados build after a DD, and would die to either +1 Earthquake or Stone Edge at the point it was at, depending on which one you ran for your second attack. You could literally have switched to either Gyara or Dusknoir at that point and still pulled out a win.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Take a closer look at your logs, Lucario used Stone Edge 4 times before Sword Dancing, this is the maximum number of times Lucario can use Stone Edge because it only has 4PP thanks to Dusknoir's future. Its other moves were most likely Extremespeed and Close Combat so once Stone Edge ran out it was boned.

The parahax throughout the battle was kind of annoying and I'm not sure if they affected the tide of the battle, if you're going to write another warstory try to pick one with less of this.

Another annoying thing was the fact you were unable to predict some of his more obvious moves. When your Lanturn was in against Starmie it was obvious an Electric resist was coming in so Surf would have been the best neutral option, once you saw his switching patterns there was no excuse in not using Ice Beam.

Similarly for Gyarados, Starmie was going to keep switching in so with no rocks up you really could have afforded to double switch to Lanturn or attack outright instead of wasting a turn on DDance.

Sacrificing Empoleon to Starmie was also needless when you had Lanturn on the bench.

Apart from the formatting issues this battle had some solid commentary and all right plays, I would rank it a 6-7/10.

Thank you, Fatecrashers and Ankoku for the feedback. Looking back on it after formatting, I realize that I did make a few mistakes, likely a sign of my real inexperience.

The main reason I didn't attack with Gyrados to the Starmie was that I wasn't sure if Stone Edge would hit it or not, or be a KO. I suppose I was trying to play a bit more conservatively, but it ultimately backfired on me.

Wind did let me know after I shown him the link to the story that he was Pressure Stalled. To be quite honest, I was a bit forgetful as it really felt like a do-or-die situation between Noir and Lucario, as I was half-expecting him to run Crunch over Stone Edge.

The next time I find a suitable battle, I'll make sure to check for any more parahax, I admit, it was a tad excessive, but beyond my control. I will try to improve my formatting for later, it's just difficult without the Warmachine being compatable with Pokemon Online logs.

It's not bad. Just what people above have been saying, there's sort of too many colors and a little haxxy.

But all in all this was pretty good! The commentary was my favorite part. I await your next one :D 7/10

mainly commentary / sprucing up with pictures and less color, but other than that, not bad. i agree some of the moves were maybe a little questionable, but i don't think they were really a big deal.

mainly commentary / sprucing up with pictures and less color, but other than that, not bad. i agree some of the moves were maybe a little questionable, but i don't think they were really a big deal.

Danke, kd24 and Pokemon Pimp. As I said, I'll look into adding the sprites in the next time I fuss with a warstory, still a bit of a learning process. But the criticism is quite appreciated.

It was a good battle, the comments were explaining. The only problem was to formatting (hurting your eyes) and the nicknames, I advise you to replace all the nicknames with the actual pokemon's names. Other than that, great first try.

Use Warmachine to format your warstories. Also, lack of good prediction was aggravating to watch, such as repeatedly Thunderbolting Gliscor and not going to Lanturn every time Starmie came up.

Good try, though.

5/10.

Great battle, needed percentages like they said.
A little off-topic here, but can anyone lead me to WarMachine?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)