VGC 18 Amoonguss

4E07F835-5EE9-4D77-81D4-D94C24BCC255.png

QC: Carbonific, Jhon
GP: The Dutch Plumberjack

[OVERVIEW]

* Amoonguss is the premier redirection user of this format thanks to its insane bulk. It also is a nice check, or accompaniment, to Trick Room teams with its low speed and access to Spore, and it can punish setup users with Clear Smog.

* Regenerator is an amazing ability, allowing Amoonguss to regain solid amounts of health and stay healthy in late-game.

* Amoonguss's great natural bulk allows it to survive many neutral Z-Moves and many other moves, but it struggles against Terrain-and sun-boosted moves from Tapu Lele and Mega Charizard Y, respectively.

* When thinking of redirection, Amoonguss is the first one to go to. Although Clefairy and Togekiss are other options, Amoonguss's access to Spore has made it more of a popular choice.

* Amoonguss isn't known to be offensive, but its STAB moves chunk the Tapu group and some Water-types, (AH) which is important given their prevalence.

[SET]
name: Bulky Support
move 1: Rage Powder
move 2: Spore
move 3: Clear Smog / Sludge Bomb / Giga Drain
move 4: Protect
item: Wiki Berry / Sitrus Berry
ability: Regenerator
nature: Sassy
evs: 244 HP / 76 Def / 188 SpD
ivs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Rage Powder is a necessity for all Amoonguss sets and allows moves to be redirected towards its bulky self.

* Spore puts foes to sleep, which renders them temporarily useless. Due to Amoonguss's low speed, it severely punishes threats in Trick Room this way before they can act.

* Clear Smog does decent damage and also resets opposing Pokemon's stat changes to zero. This should be used against Belly Drum Snorlax or Competitive Milotic.

* Sludge Bomb chunks both Grass- (AH) and Fairy-types. (AH) such as Ludicolo, the Tapu group, and Gardevoir.

* Giga Drain allows Amoonguss to recover health whilst doing solid damage. It also deals large chunks of damage to Milotic and Mega Swampert.

* Protect is a staple move in VGC and should be used to scout out for moves, defend Amoonguss, or allow an ally to remove a threat.

* The EVs combined with a Sassy nature allow Amoonguss to survive a sun-boosted Heat Wave from Mega Charizard Y and guarantees Landorus-T's Earthquake to deal less than 50% of damage.

* Wiki Berry maximizes recovery. However, if you do not want to risk it not being activated, you can go with a Sitrus Berry.

* An alternative, more physically bulky option to go with is available with a Relaxed nature and an EV spread of 244 HP / 196 Def / 68 SpD. These can be used to survive a non-Terrain-boosted Zen Headbutt from Mega Metagross.

* Tapu Koko and Tapu Fini are minor threats to Amoonguss, as their Terrains make Spore unusable against grounded Pokemon. However, Amoonguss does decent damage to Tapu Fini with both Sludge Bomb and Giga Drain, and it can redirect Electric-type moves from Tapu Koko and easily take them.

* Amoonguss forms a nice duo with Mega Kangaskhan and Tyranitar to defend them against incoming Fighting-type moves they are weak to. In addition to this, Tyranitar can safely set up with Dragon Dance with the assistance of redirection from Amoonguss.

* Amoonguss is a good lead, as it can be immediately threatening, and you shouldn't be overly concerned about it taking damage early-game, because its recovery tools will allow it to continue supporting its teammates in the late-game. You don't want to focus too much on recovery, because it is not very good if it remains as your last Pokemon. Sometimes sacrificing Amoonguss is alright if it saves its partner from a strong hit in doing so.

Last edited:
Combine all of the sets into a single one and just list the alternative natures + EV spreads in Set Comments.
Should I keep the offensive set separate? I feel like it has a different usage compared to others sets focusing on the offensive aspect.

Offensive Amoonguss's usage is so low that I don't think it can be justified as a separate set. It's a very niche option that's the sort of thing you might include in an 'Other Options' section if the current format had one. I'd actually prefer that you dropped it and left that for advanced players to experiment with on their own terms.

Offensive Amoonguss's usage is so low that I don't think it can be justified as a separate set. It's a very niche option that's the sort of thing you might include in an 'Other Options' section if the current format had one. I'd actually prefer that you dropped it and left that for advanced players to experiment with on their own terms.
Should I remove Sitrus Berry and potentially add Rocky Helmet?

Should I remove Sitrus Berry and potentially add Rocky Helmet?
Rocky Helmet got a lot worse after the Mega Kangaskhan nerf, so its exclusion is fine. I think the item slashes you have now are good, although I'd replace Aguav Berry with Wiki Berry since Adamant Bug Bite users such as Araquanid and Scizor will get confused when eating the latter.

I'm aiming to do a full check later today.

Overview
  • * Overall...
    - Opening with Amoonguss's place in the metagame is good, but you need to rewrite this. You can't use the term "CHALK" to describe an archetype it fits onto, as it's not part of the common Pokemon vernacular. Imagine the reader being somebody who is completely new to VGC; they won't know what it stands for. Everything after the words "using it correctly..." is also incredibly obvious and not useful. Just summarize that it's the premier redirector of the format, but that it's also able to function as an effective check to Trick Room and stat-up users thanks to its low Speed and Spore, and Clear Smog, respectively.
Set
Rage Powder​
Spore​
Clear Smog / Sludge Bomb / Giga Drain​
Protect​
  • Protect should always go last, and Rage Powder goes first because it defines the set. Sludge Bomb is significantly more popular than Giga Drain, so it gets to be slashed earlier.
Set Comments
  • With respect to Sludge Bomb and Giga Drain, always make sure to give one or two examples of notable Pokemon they're used for to provide context. For example, the former importantly hits all of the Tapus for super effective damage, which is valuable given their prevalence on teams, and the latter hits Water-types such as Milotic and Mega Swampert.
  • Note with respect to Spore that it's a key reason why Amoonguss is able to function so effectively in Trick Room. It's able to severely punish its set up by shutting down key threats.
  • You don't need seperate bullet points for both the EVs and nature. Just note that they work in tandem to accomplish the chosen goal.
    • Add that the spread also guarantees Landorus-T's Earthquake does less than 50%. It's important because if it sometimes did more then it could prevent even Sitrus Berry from activating with the combination of a low roll + high roll.
  • The physically defensive spread you mentioned is inefficient because it uses EVs which are multiples of 8 (192 and 72); you get the same amount of stats from 188 / 68. The correct spread is 244 HP / 196 Def / 68 SpD.
    • You also wrongly state that they survive a Psychic Terrain-boosted Zen Headbutt, when the opposite is the case: it only survives Zen Headbutt without Psychic Terrain's presence. Add that it also survives Tapu Lele's Psychic 15/16 times outside of Psychic Terrain.
  • * A more offensive set...
    - Remove this bullet point.
  • * Amoonguss should be paired with frail, speedy Pokémon such as Tapu Koko to redirect strong attacks.
    - I agree, but I think Mega Kangaskhan and Tyranitar are better examples of effective partners, as Amoonguss resists the Fighting-type attacks they're weak to. Tapu Koko by comparison cannot be saved against a super effective Earthquake! Tyranitar is also an example of a Pokemon granted safe space for setup in Dragon Dance; something redirection is particularly valued for.
  • * There are lots of ways for Amoonguss to regain health...
    * Amoonguss is commonly used as a lead in order to put redirection pressure on your opponent first thing on the field.
    - I think you can combine these points to make them a bit less directionless. Remember that you're giving advise in this analysis, not making lists. You could instead say something about Amoonguss making a good lead, as damage taken early can be restored later in the battle through the use of tools such as Giga Drain and Regenerator. There's also the fact that support Pokemon are generally not good at closing out matches on their own.
  • * It is crucial to Protect against super effective spread moves such as Heat Wave because there is no option of redirection.
    - I can see what you were trying to do here, in mentioning a way to counter Amoonguss, but it just feels very obvious. Remove.

Post when implemented.

Overview
  • - Opening with Amoonguss's place in the metagame is good, but you need to rewrite this. You can't use the term "CHALK" to describe an archetype it fits onto, as it's not part of the common Pokemon vernacular. Imagine the reader being somebody who is completely new to VGC; they won't know what it stands for. Everything after the words "using it correctly..." is also incredibly obvious and not useful. Just summarize that it's the premier redirector of the format, but that it's also able to function as an effective check to Trick Room and stat-up users thanks to its low Speed and Spore, and Clear Smog, respectively.
Set
  • - Remove the strike-through text; it's unnecessary.
  • Change the move order to:
Rage Powder​
Spore​
Clear Smog / Sludge Bomb / Giga Drain​
Protect​

• Protect should always go last, and Rage Powder goes first because it defines the set. Sludge Bomb is significantly more popular than Giga Drain, so it gets to be slashed earlier.
Set Comments
  • With respect to Sludge Bomb and Giga Drain, always make sure to give one or two examples of notable Pokemon they're used for to provide context. For example, the former importantly hits all of the Tapus for super effective damage, which is valuable given their prevalence on teams, and the latter hits Water-types such as Milotic and Mega Swampert.
  • Note with respect to Spore that it's a key reason why Amoonguss is able to function so effectively in Trick Room. It's able to severely punish its set up by shutting down key threats.
  • You don't need seperate bullet points for both the EVs and nature. Just note that they work in tandem to accomplish the chosen goal.
    • Add that the spread also guarantees Landorus-T's Earthquake does less than 50%. It's important because if it sometimes did more then it could prevent even Sitrus Berry from activating with the combination of a low roll + high roll.
  • The physically defensive spread you mentioned is inefficient because it uses EVs which are multiples of 8 (192 and 72); you get the same amount of stats from 188 / 68. The correct spread is 244 HP / 196 Def / 68 SpD.
    • You also wrongly state that they survive a Psychic Terrain-boosted Zen Headbutt, when the opposite is the case: it only survives Zen Headbutt without Psychic Terrain's presence. Add that it also survives Tapu Lele's Psychic 15/16 times outside of Psychic Terrain.
  • - Remove this bullet point.
  • - I agree, but I think Mega Kangaskhan and Tyranitar are better examples of effective partners, as Amoonguss resists the Fighting-type attacks they're weak to. Tapu Koko by comparison cannot be saved against a super effective Earthquake! Tyranitar is also an example of a Pokemon granted safe space for setup in Dragon Dance; something redirection is particularly valued for.
  • - I think you can combine these points to make them a bit less directionless. Remember that you're giving advise in this analysis, not making lists. You could instead say something about Amoonguss making a good lead, as damage taken early can be restored later in the battle through the use of tools such as Giga Drain and Regenerator. There's also the fact that support Pokemon are generally not good at closing out matches on their own.
  • - I can see what you were trying to do here, in mentioning a way to counter Amoonguss, but it just feels very obvious. Remove.

Post when implemented.
Implemented! Thank you so much for feedback!

You missed several of my previous points when implementing, so please be careful with this check. I have done it in the style of a GP check, so watch this video on how to implement it without missing anything:

Remove
Add
Comments

[OVERVIEW]

* Overall, Amoonguss has a nice niche in the VGC 18 format having great bulk, support moves, and flexibility. It is used on many frail teams and (you're just saying what you're about to say, which is unneeded) is the premier redirector of this format thanks to its insane bulk. It also is a nice check, or accompaniment, to Trick Room teams with its low speed and access to Spore, and can punish stat-up users with Clear Smog and Spore. With access to Rage Powder and sleep-inducing moves, combined with its insane bulk, it can be very successful with its role on your team. (repetition)

* Its low speed serves as a good pivot when countering against Trick Room teams, and using it with a Trick Room team is great as well. (unneeded)

* Regenerator is an amazing ability, allowing Amoonguss to regain solid amounts of health when switching for a nice advantage on your side of the field.

* Amoonguss' great natural bulk allows it to survive many Z-Moves (excluding super effective ones) and many other moves, but it is usually OHKOed by Tapu Lele with Psychic.

* When thinking of redirection, Amoonguss is the first one to go to. Although Volcarona serves as a more offensive redirector, it is relatively frail and isn't as reliable.

* Amoonguss isn't known to be offensive, but primary offensive moves used include Sludge Bomb and Giga Drain, which its STAB moves chunk Tapus and some water types, which is important given their prevalence. (this is only notable because of their usage, so that needs to be made explicit)

[SET]
move 3: Clear Smog / Sluge Bomb / Giga Drain

[SET COMMENTS]

* Protect is a staple move in VGC and should be used to scout out for moves, defend itself or used to allow an ally to remove a threat.

* Rage Powder is a necessity for all Amoonguss sets and allowed moves to be redirected towards its bulky self.

* Clear Smog does decent damage and also resets opposing Pokemon's stats to zero. This should be used against Belly Drum Snorlax or Competitive Milotic.

* Sludge Bomb chunks both Grass and Fairy types. (such as...?)

* Giga Drain allows Amoonguss to recover health whilst doing solid damage. It also deals large chunks of damage to Milotic and OHKOs M-Swampert.

* Spore puts foes to sleep, thus rending them temporarily useless, forcing them to be switched out. It severely punishes threats in Trick Room

* The EVs put in special defense combined with a Sassy nature allows Amoonguss to survive a Sun-boosted Heat Wave from Charizard-Y and endure Tapu Lele's Psychic 15/16 times outside of Psychic Terrain. EVs in defense also (this was in reference to the physically defensive spread below) and guarantees Landorus-T's Earthquake to deal less than 50% of damage.

* Pinch Berries are highly important for Amoonguss to regain health Wiki Berry maximizes recovery. However, if you do not want to risk them it not being activated, you can go with a Sitrus Berry.

* An alternative, more physically bulky option to go with is available with a Relaxed nature and an EV spread of 244 HP / 196 Def / 68 SpD. These can be used to survive a non-terrain boosted Zen Headbutt from M-Metagross and Tapu Lele's Psychic 15/16 times. However, more EVs in defense are required to compensate for its lower base Defense in comparison to special. (this is pretty much a non-point)

* Amoonguss should be paired with frail, speedy Pokémon such as Tapu Koko to redirect strong attacks. It also is forms a nice duo with M-Kangaskhan Mega Kangaskhan (don't abbreviate) and Tyranitar as a defense to incoming fighting type moves they are weak to, which Amoonguss resists. In addition to this, Tyranitar can safely set up with Dragon Dance with the assistance of redirection from Amoonguss.

* There are lots of ways for Amoonguss to regain health, so make good use of them to keep Amoonguss up for as long as possible. Support Pokemon are not very good at closing out matches solo, which is why Amoonguss should be used as a lead in order to put solid pressure on your opponent first thing on the field. (the way this is worded now is missing the point; rephrase it. You want to say that Amoonguss is a good lead because it's immediately threatening, and that you shouldn't be overly concerned about taking damage in the early game because its recovery tools will allow it to continue supporting its teammates in the lategame. You actually don't want to focus too much on the healing thing though, because it being your last Pokemon isn't good. It's sometimes totally fine for Amoonguss to faint if it saved its partner from a big hit in doing so)
Also, I just noticed you posted in the Grammar-Prose queue; don't do this until your analysis has 2/2 QC checks. The GP team can't check an unfinished analysis.

You missed several of my previous points when implementing, so please be careful with this check. I have done it in the style of a GP check, so watch this video on how to implement it without missing anything:

Remove
Add
Comments

Also, I just noticed you posted in the Grammar-Prose queue; don't do this until your analysis has 2/2 QC checks. The GP team can't check an unfinished analysis.
Implemented!

Charlotte

giraffe
is a Top Tiering Contributor
[OVERVIEW]
* Regenerator is an amazing ability, allowing Amoonguss to regain solid amounts of health when switching for a nice advantage on your side of the field.
This sort of reads weirdly to me. I think somethign int he style of "Regenerator is an amazing ability, allowing Amoonguss to regain HP while switching out which lets it stay healthy for later in the game."
* Amoonguss' great natural bulk allows it to survive many Z-Moves (excluding super effective ones) and many other moves, but it is usually OHKOed by Tapu Lele with Psychic.
I think instead of specifying Lele Psychic, you could say that it struggles to survive super effective attacks boosted by Psychic Terrain and Sun, particularly from Tapu Lele and Mega Charizard Y.

* When thinking of redirection, Amoonguss is the first one to go to. Although Volcarona serves as a more offensive redirector, it is relatively frail and isn't as reliable.
Mentioning Volcarona is a little odd, as redirector it's niche. Clefairy is the next most common redirector after Amoonguss. Perhaps we can change this point to say that Amoonguss can face competition from other redirectors such as Clefairy or Togekiss but that Amoonguss's typing and access to Spore are what have made it the more popular choice.

[SET COMMENTS]
* Spore puts foes to sleep, thus rending them temporarily useless, forcing them to be switched out. It severely punishes threats in Trick Room.
It doesn't really force switches so I'd remove that snippit.
The point in the second sentence can be expanded a little. Something like "Due to Amoonguss's low speed it is able to severaly punish many foes in Trick Room by putting them to sleep before they can act."
Also, I think you meant 'rendering them...' in the first sentence, to rend is to tear something apart.

* Giga Drain allows Amoonguss to recover health whilst doing solid damage. It also deals large chunks of damage to Milotic and OHKOs M-Swampert.
Giga Drain doesn't OHKO Mega Swampert, even Energy Ball is a roll if you don't have SpA investment. So just rewrite to " It also deals large chunks of damage to Milotic and Mega Swampert."
0 SpA Amoonguss Giga Drain vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Swampert: 136-168 (77.2 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

There should be a bullet point about Tapu Koko and Tapu Fini. Electric and Misty Terrain are two big factors for Amoonguss users to keep in mind while playing. It should mention that these terrains prevent Spore from effecting grounded targets, but that despite Amoonguss being unable to freely Spore it can still have a good matchup against both Tapu Koko and Tapu Fini. Being able to happily redirect Tapu Koko's Electric-type attacks into itself and threatening both with super effective STAB moves.

tag me if you need anything/want to discuss etc.

[OVERVIEW]This sort of reads weirdly to me. I think somethign int he style of "Regenerator is an amazing ability, allowing Amoonguss to regain HP while switching out which lets it stay healthy for later in the game."
I think instead of specifying Lele Psychic, you could say that it struggles to survive super effective attacks boosted by Psychic Terrain and Sun, particularly from Tapu Lele and Mega Charizard Y.

Mentioning Volcarona is a little odd, as redirector it's niche. Clefairy is the next most common redirector after Amoonguss. Perhaps we can change this point to say that Amoonguss can face competition from other redirectors such as Clefairy or Togekiss but that Amoonguss's typing and access to Spore are what have made it the more popular choice.

[SET COMMENTS]
It doesn't really force switches so I'd remove that snippit.
The point in the second sentence can be expanded a little. Something like "Due to Amoonguss's low speed it is able to severaly punish many foes in Trick Room by putting them to sleep before they can act."
Also, I think you meant 'rendering them...' in the first sentence, to rend is to tear something apart.

Giga Drain doesn't OHKO Mega Swampert, even Energy Ball is a roll if you don't have SpA investment. So just rewrite to " It also deals large chunks of damage to Milotic and Mega Swampert."
0 SpA Amoonguss Giga Drain vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Swampert: 136-168 (77.2 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

There should be a bullet point about Tapu Koko and Tapu Fini. Electric and Misty Terrain are two big factors for Amoonguss users to keep in mind while playing. It should mention that these terrains prevent Spore from effecting grounded targets, but that despite Amoonguss being unable to freely Spore it can still have a good matchup against both Tapu Koko and Tapu Fini. Being able to happily redirect Tapu Koko's Electric-type attacks into itself and threatening both with super effective STAB moves.

tag me if you need anything/want to discuss etc.
Jhon Implemented! Thank you for the feedback!

Charlotte

giraffe
* Tapu Koko and Tapu Fini are minor threats to Amoonguss as their terrains make Spore unusable against grounded foes. However, Amoonguss does decent damage to Tapu Fini with both Sludge Bomb and Giga Drain, and it can redirect electric type moves from Tapu Koko and easily take it.
Just add the bolded part for clarity.
You also missed this bit
It's looking good though

Charlotte

giraffe
Sorry I wasn't being particularly clear, I was trying to avoid specific attack mentions. Just change that point to this
* Amoonguss's great natural bulk allows it to survive many Z-Moves (excluding super effective ones) and many other moves. However, Amoonguss struggles against terrain and Sun boosted Psychic- and Fire-type attacks from Tapu Lele and Mega Charizard Y, respectively.
and it's QC 2/2

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/1
[OVERVIEW]

* Amoonguss is the premier redirector redirection user of this format thanks to its insane bulk. It also is a nice check, or accompaniment, to Trick Room teams with its low speed and access to Spore, and it can punish stat-up setup users with Clear Smog.

* Regenerator is an amazing ability, allowing Amoonguss to regain solid amounts of health which allows it to and stay healthy in the lategame late-game.

* Amoonguss's great natural bulk allows it to survive many neutral Z-Moves (excluding super effective ones) and many other moves, but it struggles against Terrain- (AH) and sun-boosted (AH) moves from Tapu Lele and Mega Charizard Y, respectively.

* When thinking of redirection, Amoonguss is the first one to go to. Although Clefairy and Togekiss are other competitors options, Amoonguss's access to Spore has made it more of a popular choice.

* Amoonguss isn't known to be offensive, but its STAB moves chunk Tapus the Tapu group and some Water-types, (AH) which is important given their prevalence.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

* Rage Powder is a necessity for all Amoonguss sets and allowed allows moves to be redirected towards its bulky self.

* Spore puts foes to sleep, which renders them temporarily useless. Due to its Amoonguss's low speed, it severely punishes threats in Trick Room this way before they can act.

* Clear Smog does decent damage and also resets opposing Pokemon's stats stat changes to zero. This should be used against Belly Drum Snorlax or Competitive Milotic.

* Sludge Bomb chunks both Grass- (AH) and Fairy-types. (AH) such as the Tapu, Ludicolo, the Tapu group, and Gardevoir.

* Giga Drain allows Amoonguss to recover health whilst doing solid damage. It also deals large chunks of damage to Milotic and Mega Swampert.

* Protect is a staple move in VGC and should be used to scout out for moves, defend itself Amoonguss, or used to allow an ally to remove a threat.

* The EVs combined with a Sassy nature allows allow Amoonguss to survive a sun-boosted Heat Wave from Mega Charizard Y (RH) and guarantees Landorus-T's Earthquake to deal less than 50% of damage.

* Wiki Berry maximizes recovery. However, if you do not want to risk it not being activated, you can go with a Sitrus Berry.

* An alternative, more physically bulky option to go with is available with a Relaxed nature and an EV spread of 244 HP / 196 Def / 68 SpD. These can be used to survive a non-Terrain-boosted (AH) Zen Headbutt from Mega Metagross.

* Tapu Koko and Tapu Fini are minor threats to Amoonguss, (AC) as their Terrains make Spore unusable against grounded Pokemon. However, Amoonguss does decent damage to Tapu Fini with both Sludge Bomb and Giga Drain, and it can redirect Electric-type (AH) moves from Tapu Koko and easily take it them.

* Amoonguss forms a nice duo with Mega Kangaskhan and Tyranitar as a defense to to defend them against incoming Fighting-type (AH) moves they are weak to, which Amoonguss resists. In addition to this, Tyranitar can safely set up with Dragon Dance with the assistance of redirection from Amoonguss.

* Amoonguss is a good lead, (AC) as it can be immediately threatening, and you shouldn't be overly concerned about it taking damage in the early-game, (AH, AC) because its recovery tools will allow it to continue supporting its teammates in the lategame late-game. You don't want to focus too much on recovery, because it being your last Pokemon is not very good if it remains as your last Pokemon. Sometimes sacrificing Amoonguss is alright if it saves its partner from a strong hit in doing so.

Last edited:
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/1
[OVERVIEW]

* Amoonguss is the premier redirector redirection user of this format thanks to its insane bulk. It also is a nice check, or accompaniment, to Trick Room teams with its low speed and access to Spore, and it can punish stat-up setup users with Clear Smog.

* Regenerator is an amazing ability, allowing Amoonguss to regain solid amounts of health which allows it to and stay healthy in the lategame late-game.

* Amoonguss's great natural bulk allows it to survive many neutral Z-Moves (excluding super effective ones) and many other moves, but it struggles against Terrain- (AH) and sun-boosted (AH) moves from Tapu Lele and Mega Charizard Y, respectively.

* When thinking of redirection, Amoonguss is the first one to go to. Although Clefairy and Togekiss are other competitors options, Amoonguss's access to Spore has made it more of a popular choice.

* Amoonguss isn't known to be offensive, but its STAB moves chunk Tapus the Tapu group and some Water-types, (AH) which is important given their prevalence.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

* Rage Powder is a necessity for all Amoonguss sets and allowed allows moves to be redirected towards its bulky self.

* Spore puts foes to sleep, which renders them temporarily useless. Due to its Amoonguss's low speed, it severely punishes threats in Trick Room this way before they can act.

* Clear Smog does decent damage and also resets opposing Pokemon's stats stat changes to zero. This should be used against Belly Drum Snorlax or Competitive Milotic.

* Sludge Bomb chunks both Grass- (AH) and Fairy-types. (AH) such as the Tapu, Ludicolo, the Tapu group, and Gardevoir.

* Protect is a staple move in VGC and should be used to scout out for moves, defend itself Amoonguss, or used to allow an ally to remove a threat.

* The EVs combined with a Sassy nature allows allow Amoonguss to survive a sun-boosted Heat Wave from Mega Charizard Y (RH) and guarantees Landorus-T's Earthquake to deal less than 50% of damage.

* An alternative, more physically bulky option to go with is available with a Relaxed nature and an EV spread of 244 HP / 196 Def / 68 SpD. These can be used to survive a non-Terrain-boosted (AH) Zen Headbutt from Mega Metagross.

* Tapu Koko and Tapu Fini are minor threats to Amoonguss, (AC) as their Terrains make Spore unusable against grounded Pokemon. However, Amoonguss does decent damage to Tapu Fini with both Sludge Bomb and Giga Drain, and it can redirect Electric-type (AH) moves from Tapu Koko and easily take it them.

* Amoonguss forms a nice duo with Mega Kangaskhan and Tyranitar as a defense to to defend them against incoming Fighting-type (AH) moves they are weak to, which Amoonguss resists. In addition to this, Tyranitar can safely set up with Dragon Dance with the assistance of redirection from Amoonguss.

* Amoonguss is a good lead, (AC) as it can be immediately threatening, and you shouldn't be overly concerned about it taking damage in the early-game, (AH, AC) because its recovery tools will allow it to continue supporting its teammates in the lategame late-game. You don't want to focus too much on recovery, because it being your last Pokemon is not very good if it remains as your last Pokemon. Sometimes sacrificing Amoonguss is alright if it saves its partner from a strong hit in doing so.
Implemented! Thank you! Ready to upload!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)