Analyzing Old Games

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In many strategy games like Chess, Go, etc., one of the most common and relied on methods of practice/training is to look at old games. One looks at all sorts of games-- games by the greatest players to see how the best play, old games one's played in order to review one's mistakes, and games played by rivals to try and get inside their heads. In Go you often study games by players who are just a few ranks stronger than you (because games by pros are still so much above you that you can't even begin to understand them).

I noticed that for the most part, we don't do this here at Stark Mountain.

The closest are the Warstories that posted and actually get attention paid to them. For the most part, only those with keen writing skills really get much welcome reception here, and then only when it comes to games that were exciting and close.

The best battlers though are not always the best writers, nor are they all the type who enjoy entertaining through the warstory format. In general intelligence is part of the game and our mods also show it with how well they express their opinions in debate, but I'm certain that not all the best battlers are like that. There are players who are really good, but due to either personality traits or lack of expressive skills would never write warstories.

Furthermore exciting and close games are not the only ones that contain potentially valuable study material. Difficult situations; turns that mistakes made or broke the game; phenomenally amazing predictions that make you wonder-- how the hell did he do that? These can be found in logs that don't end with scores like 2-0 and were not phenomenal throughout.

Moreover as they currently exist, warstories are mostly for entertainment rather than study. The feedback also reflects this, and we spend less time braking down turns than we do talking about format for the most part.

You get what I'm getting at here-- why don't we have threads to go over old logs? Why don't we have discussion and analysis of old games? As much as we tried to pour over these during the Wobb crisis to figure out what was happening to the metagame, we as a community don't go over them in order to do what "Smogon University" is largely here to do: Further our use of strategy. Am I wrong in saying that seems odd? Does looking over old logs have no value?

I do realize it would be a formatting mess, as all of us in general groan when some newb posts a half-ass "warstory" where he posts a log of a crappy battle and gives us 1 like answers (or not even that). Of course we would not want these threads flooding the boards either.

I could think of many potential things we could do.
1. Break it into Summary and focus on specific turns rather than whole logs
2. Create a sub-forum for log analysis

In the end I admit it still comes down to expressive skills-- it is a forum after all. No one wants to look at that giant log with one sentance from a noob: Help me!

But if we were to be answering questions about specific points in battle, if the OP were to summarize the battle in and explain the point of difficulty in a thought-out manner that shows his earnest interest in discussing it, I personally would not mind.

Also the idea of creating a sub-forum like RMT is appealing, but only insofar as that people would actually use it. I mean, I almost never go to RMT at all-- not sure about others. Whether or not valuable discussion would develop or not, I have no idea, but if it did wouldn't that be great?

Finally, in terms of getting logs from others. On most servers of pure strategy games like Chess and Go, you can download the log of any player on the server. People want to be able to see the game. On Shoddy too, the best players who have wide-spread reputations often get a lot of observers-- but only those who happen to be there at the time can see the game, and only if they're lucky enough to get in near the start. For the purpose of study, wouldn't it be valuable to be able to freely download the logs of any of the other players whenever one felt like it? That would have a lot of study value.

Admittedly Pokemon is not like Go and Chess because of the team building, and the element of surprise is certainly valuable. In other words there is the element that we don't want to reveal our teams. On the other hand though, this could always be made a choice of the player to let others see his logs or not. Furthermore we could provide options like "Only reveal logs of 1 month age or older," "Only reveal logs of 2 weeks or older," etc. In other words, the idea of making logs freely available for study is not an idea that seems far-fetched to me. This way even introverts not interested in discussion can at least read over the logs of players they respect.

Well, I talked a lot about issues regarding the discussion of old logs, but overall this was just an idea that came to me and I wanted to hear the general reaction of the community.

I like this idea very much, as reading over logs helps you improve, learn mistakes, and make sure you don't make them as well. I use "warstories" to get better myself (although it hasn't kicked in yet :P) and I also read them for entertainment. I agree with this idea as analyzing logs can help you get better while at the same time prove entertaining. Although, we could just go to the Warstory Archives at read most of the great ones there as well to get the same effect.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Yes, I also agree that it's a good idea. I do have logs where my ass got kicked badly after a ~7-0 winning streak, and perhaps I could post it and people would help my playing. Not only would studying the logs of good players be useful, but assisting not so decent players (tying in to the "like RMT" -type subforum) would also be good when their teams are otherwise perfectly fine in terms of dealing with threats, etc.
And if any new players want to get into playing a particular tier they haven't before, going over logs to see how people play would also be a useful resource that cannot be obtained from just skimming through RMTs or stats to get a general picture.
Really, while the Archive is a good place to look, some put more emphasis on having an entertaining match as you mentioned. So yeah, that's my thoughts on this. It's a good idea.

I think your idea is a great idea, but I don't agree with downloading every log they can make. People would read their logs on purpose just to get their hands on the other's team. Especially when there are tournaments, even if people don't see their tournament teams, they can still the style of play or if they are high risk takers, etc.

I think the user should accept or deny their warstory into a list, and users can download from the approved list. Or someway to stop massive warstory searches just for the purpose of getting a hand over another.

Awesome idea!! If we do this, we can learn from the many mistakes made in battle, and can have a scope of which Pokemon are switched in on a certain attack most. This can open many windows, so kudos to you Chou:D!!

mien

Tournament Banned
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I agree the only warstory's we have now in the warstory archive are those from skilled writers in fact those are more for entertainement then for learning in my opion
I've seen many Skilled battlers on shoddy with gamebreaking strategies yet those never see the light because they don't have an IQ of 150 or simply don't speak english that well to publish those

I think i could learn a lot by watching some people's warstory's

EDIT: to the guy above me Jumpman doesn't even battle...

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've actually been planning on releasing some warstories like this (because I've gotten back into chess, and every time I play chess I want to make a game with annotation for each move). I think I'll write up a few. :toast:

As for having logs anyone can view, at first I didn't like the idea. But if it's an opt-in thing (I would opt-in), then that's cool. Especially if you have things like "only logs X days old".

I can't believe I didn't think of this, since in chess we practically have books just full of games from famous people and whatnot. ya, in chess you practically always annotate so that you can look over the game, see what mistakes you made and whatnot, to get better.

I'm all for it, and once I get reliable shoddy (2-3 days from now) I'll certainly contribute, if you guys deem me "good enough" for my battles to be worth anything.

hmm, i kinda used to do this. i used to save all my games from shoddy in a folder on my comp, but then my mom deleted the file, and i suck at computering so i didnt know how to get it back.
i definitely see this as a good idea, and often enjoy rereading old logs of mine to learn from my mistakes and occasionally my successes.

In a similar manner as Stathakis, I can't believe I didn't think of this before. It's a really great idea, and I'd be more than happy to participate and help out. However, I think it would be more simple to just paste the parts of the log where the tides turn (or whatever else happens that makes it a great learning experience) and a bit of the log from before and after those sections, followed by a short summary of what happened before and after the important parts.

Alagross

hmm, i kinda used to do this. i used to save all my games from shoddy in a folder on my comp, but then my mom deleted the file, and i suck at computering so i didnt know how to get it back.
i definitely see this as a good idea, and often enjoy rereading old logs of mine to learn from my mistakes and occasionally my successes.
Actually, I did the same as Kusaninja. Ironically, I had the same problems as him, only my dad deleted it :o
Oh, I suck at computering too...

IggyBot

!battle
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As for having logs anyone can view, at first I didn't like the idea. But if it's an opt-in thing (I would opt-in), then that's cool. Especially if you have things like "only logs X days old".
I agree with this. I really don't like the idea of someone being able to rip my team off simply by reading through a bunch of battle logs. That's what the RMT forum is for ;)

I'll add more comments at a later time, when I finally come to conclusion on how I think this could work.

The problem is that reading old logs is...boring. So people usually add commentary and pretty pictures to make it more readable. I suppose if people are willing to swim through seas of text in order to find "valuable" logs more power to them, but it makes me dizzy just looking at them.

I'm a little impaired from getting on Shoddy to remember if this can be done but...

For those who concerned about the privacy of their team, is it possible to record the logs of spectated battles? That way you could blank the names and have complete anonymity (Requesting the permission of the two participants beforehand, of course).

What If we get people together that can record battles on film? They could ask people if they can spec their battle and record it. Get together a video archive of great battlers battling (<lol) and people can learn from them without being bored out of their minds by walls of text. Could be put on the site as Video Battle Library or somthing.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think that if we were to proceed to try to make study from old logs a practice we would have 2 major goals to move towards:

1. Creating a standardized format for this activity that is acceptable to smogon.

2. Build better options into Shoddy to allow this practice (this belongs more in Shoddy suggestion than here on Smogon, but if we push we can get it I'm sure).

For the first goal, we would have to come up with something along the lines of warstories/RMT-- a standard format that we all use and agree prevents such threads from just becoming trash. I think our goals in designing a standard format should be as follows:

• Easy to read-- Like Cynthia mentioned, pure log is hard to look at often (though I myself don't mind particularly)
  • Informative-- quickly communicate what the desired point of discussion, and what the audience needs to know in order to discuss
  • Easier to write than a warstory-- it'll never work if we force people to put the same amount of effort in.
  • We might also build in Anonymity-- for instance, if you are writing the thread, do your opponent the courtesy of putting replacing their name with [opponent] or some other label.
  • Personally, I think that if we are forced to ask permission of all opponents to create discussion threads, it would be a major pain that seriously inhibits the practice. Having anonymity as a standard should be courtesy enough.

Also we have create a common understanding that when one enters a "Log Analysis" thread, they are not entering to be entertained, but to look at the play-by-play and discuss/consider what one would do but also what others think should have been done. Comments should be directed as such.

It would be even more amazing if we as a community could go over important tournament matches, or even just extremely high rank matches between the higher level players. If the OP were a name-player like Obi, and if he led the discussion of one of his own battles, I am sure a lot of people would participate.

For the second goal, I already mentioned in my first post, but if possible, we want to make logs as easily accessible as possible. It would be great if Shoddy not only created, but stored logs as well. Here's what I'd suggest:

• Each player would have a profile viewable by all from which we could download matches
  • Include the option to allow limitations on downloading (such as only showing logs that have reached a certain age)
  • Have the profile, and the "battles" tab which shows the current games, show the rank of the players. This would make it easier to find logs one thinks are valuable.

Those are my current ideas anyway.

IggyBot

!battle
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
  • We might also build in Anonymity-- for instance, if you are writing the thread, do your opponent the courtesy of putting replacing their name with [opponent] or some other label.
  • Personally, I think that if we are forced to ask permission of all opponents to create discussion threads, it would be a major pain that seriously inhibits the practice. Having anonymity as a standard should be courtesy enough.
I still don't like this. If I wanted something of mine posted in any way shape or form, I would do it myself. As much of a hassle as it is, getting your opponents permission should be required in my opinion.

I like the rest of your ideas though. I'm not sure how hard writing something such as a log profile would be for shoddy, so that would be entirely up to Doug.

The problem is people will still somehow memorize or write down teams , one they see that 3-4 pokemon match they know who the opponent is or possibly what their team is based off of.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why is there such a big deal on keeping a team secret? Why is it bad if someone takes it? I'm honestly not sure why this is a big deal.

Why is there such a big deal on keeping a team secret? Why is it bad if someone takes it? I'm honestly not sure why this is a big deal.
I've seen many warstories where a team was based off an old RMT , and the person who figured it out knew the moveset of the opposing pokemon and didn't need to worry.

I.E

You know your opposing gyra has EQ, and waterfall . You have your salamence. At normal you would hide salamence fearing an ice fang, but oh wait, you don't. You know it can't do a thing against you. While you had gotten an intimidate, gyra took SR damage, so you know you can draco metor and KO. Considering otherwise you didn't know anything about, you did once you figured out what team it was and just had to search to find it.

This is just an example but there are other instances where the same concept could be used.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Iggy-- I personally think obsessive secretivity makes us weaker rather than stronger, but it's something we should discuss.

I personally think it's stupid to make assumptions like Juju-- making that type of assumption will only lead you to making wrong assumptions that will screw you over in the long run.

IggyBot

!battle
Knowing your opponents team can give a tremendous advantage in battle. Ever played the same person two or three times in a row on the ladder?

Even if the name is changed, the fact still remains that my team is out there. I would rather keep it to myself, and others that I have shown it to. If we have some sort of system where permission from both sides is required, this whole concept is fine by me.

EDIT- Obviously not everyone is going to be like me. I would just rather have permission required to stop instances from popping up where players DON'T want the log posted, but their opponent (or spectator) posts it anyways. If permission from both sides is required, then I fully support this.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well, sure it can, yes. But if you don't know who that team is made by or used by, how can you make that assumption? How can you assume the team hasn't changed or isn't different? What's to stop me now from saving all of my logs and publishing them RIGHT NOW? Seriously, this isn't any less secure than me battling you on Shoddy.

Not to mention that real competitive matches shouldn't be single battle because of random numbers and such. But that's another day.

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Well, sure it can, yes. But if you don't know who that team is made by or used by, how can you make that assumption? How can you assume the team hasn't changed or isn't different? What's to stop me now from saving all of my logs and publishing them RIGHT NOW? Seriously, this isn't any less secure than me battling you on Shoddy.

Not to mention that real competitive matches shouldn't be single battle because of random numbers and such. But that's another day.
Does it really matter? If anyone, for whatever reason, doesn't want to be involved, I don't think they should have to be. IggyBot is definitely not going to be the only one wanting to keep his teams secret, and he is well within his rights to do so. I would therefore second him in that permission from all players involved should be gotten before any logs are posted.

If you see no problem with your logs being posted, Chris, you will have no objection to simply approving the addition of the log in which you were involved with. In the same way, other players won't have any qualms approving their logs to be included either. It's really best for all involved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)