Media Anime and Manga Thread MK3 - Beware Spoilers

my top 5 (in no particular order):
1. soul eater (this was the first anime i ever finished! 14 year old me went apeshit for this show.)
2. mob psycho 100
3. jojo's bizarre adventure
4. devilman crybaby
5. pop team epic??

i really wish they'd give pop team epic another season. the first one was so damn funny. i also have a few that i really want to watch but haven't gotten around to, like fma and eizouken.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Of all time?

1. Serial Experiments Lain
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. One Piece
4. Ranma 1/2
5. Neon Genesis Evangelion

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
1. Serial expy (i havent seen all of it yet but the start is so astonishingly strong)
2. Mononoke
3.nichijou
4. Aku no hana
5. Mob psycho / pokemon sun moon s1

And for manga

1. Dorohedoro
2. Wandering son
3. One piece
4. Soil
5. Vinland saga

Honorable mentions to chichi gorilla, blade of the immortal, eyeshield 21 and appleseed

in no particular order

- tatami galaxy
- shirobako
- chihayafuru
- 3-gatsu no lion
- gekkan shoujo nozaki-kun (i really love this one ok)

FMA:B and TTGL are also up there

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
She and Her Cat ~Everything Flows~
Shinsekai Yori
Cardcaptor Sakura
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
3-gatsu no Lion

Honourable memtions to ERASED, Scrapped Princess, Ping Pong, TTG and Lain. Probably other stuff too bc that’s not strictly my top 10.

In order
Shows
1. Kill la Kill
2. Code Geass
3. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure pt 2: Battle Tendency
4. Kids on the Slope
5. Log Horizen

Honorable mentions: Cowboy Bebop, Hellsing Ultimate, Food Wars, Toradora, No Game No Life

Movies
1. Redline
2. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
3. Howl's Moving Castle
4. Blood: The Last Vampire
5. Sword of the Stranger

While I have watched various anime for the last 20 years or so it wasn't until around 2009 when I became heavily invested in the medium and began dedicating time and effort to watch entire shows. There are some really good ones like HunterxHunter and Steins;Gate sitting in my backlog as I chug my way through loads of mediocrity. Because of my preference to binge entire seasons I rarely watch seasonal anime so I'm currently behind on all the popular shows like Demon Slayer and Vinland Saga.

This month I completed Great Teacher Inozuka (worthwhile), Shakugan no Shana (dogshit), Girls Und Panzer (underrated), Shiki (slow & dark) and Date A Live (dogshit)

akaFila

butterscotch love
I would just like to point out, for those who aren't aware, that there are live-action Death Note movies that actually slap. Considering the pile of shit Netflix gave everyone, thought you'd like to know what's up.

Japanese, just saying for those too lazy for subs.
Death Note (2006)
Death Note 2: The Last Name (2006)
Death Note: Light Up the New World (2016 film)
L: Change the World (2008 film) (L spin-off)

And even better; Death Note the Musical.

You're welcome, Death Note fans.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This post is probably gonna be wordier+more disjointed than it needs to be but fUck editing it down.

I started re-watching Haibane Renmei w/ my mum the other day. I think she's enjoying it bc she asked me if I wanted to keep watching w/ her earlier (it's usually the other way around). If ppl can give me reccs for other stuff to watch with my mum that'd be nice—she likes Spirited Away, AnoHana and ERASED, and she watched all of Lain with me too (although idt she really knew what to think of it). She generally likes character drama and crime drama, but she isn't big on action stuff or mafia or lawyer stories, so steer clear of those.

Back on topic though, watching it back is reminding me just how motionless this show is at times. It's very clear that they were cutting a lot of corners on visual flare in favour of something more ideas centric, which I guess isn't all that surprising considering it's Yoshitoshi ABe+probably made on a pretty low budget, being a doujinshi adaptation and all. The backgrounds are gorgeous, albeit very muted—quintessentially ABe. I especially liked the artwork when the camera panned up to the face of the clock when Rakka and Kana were on the town clock's balcony in episode four—it was worn out and faded, but not to the point of being ugly or dysfunctonal. It wouldn't surprise me if this artwork was inspired by some of the photographs he takes when cycling around town late at night/early in the morning.

Considering this is one of his earlier works, it's interesting to see what he has carried forward from Lain in the character designs—his interpretation of hair's physics seems to be gelled in place, for instance. The main focus in character designs is much more oriented towards their main items of clothing than it is towards haristyle, facial design or additional clothing items, and it works thematically—haibane can only use things which have been discarded by humans, which in turn provides a convenient excuse for drawing attention to clothing choice as a means of character writing. Each character seems to have picked out something which matches their role and personality, with Reki's denim jacket and sukeban skirt probably being the most blatant example.

ABe has this spectacular ability to bring out the overall meaning in his artwork even when it isn't very technically strong or impressive, and I'm really interested to maybe try reading some of his doujinshi as well as looking at other anime he's worked on (NeiA 7 or Texhnolyze is probably next, and apparently he did the illustrations for the Welcome to the NHK novel too). There's apparently a lot of setting detail which didn't make it into the anime in his original Haibane Renmei doujinshi+the screenplay notes, so if I'm able to find a way of reading those it'd be pretty interesting.

Anyway, that's enough of my bullshit for one post. I might make a more overarching post about the show when I finish my rewatch, but for now that's all I have to say. Oh, and I guess listening to Blue Flow makes me want to revisit Scrapped Princess and Humanity Has Declined sometime, bc I love Masumi Itou's voice and music.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So we've know gotten a trailer for the tower of god anime - here and here

I get big chills when watching the first one, the choir music choice I hope sticks with the show since it really conveys that mysterious but harsh reality of the tower. From the animation it looks like we're at least getting up til the Crown Game.

My guess is that this trailer shows the first four or five episodes, since I cannot imagine they would just end at the Crown Game (well maybe). I would think they would only put early stuff in the trailer to spoil for people. I would hope that the series covers all of S1 which would most likely be a 24 ep cour. As of today there is no known episode numbers for it, so it very well could be 12 ep, 24 eps, or longer running (doubt). Considering this is a huge project and branch into webtoons (Noblesse and God of Highschool are also being animated) I would guess that they would want to do 24 episodes rather than just a small probe. I know that this series has been in development for at least 2 years per the author's note, and that Webtoon has been promoting reading Tower of God a lot in the past year or so, with promotional events like "climbing the tower," an event to get free coins if you read at least 100 chapters. There is so much heart going into this show, even the music performers, Stray Kids, claim to be huge fans of the webtoon. I'm thoroughly excited to see how this airs

It will air on April 1st supposedly, so only about a month away!!

RODAN

Banned deucer.
Hi my wonderful people, I have a question for all of you. What anime would be in your top 5 anime of ALL TIME? Since I am not wait until I give an answer, I will give you my five right away. I am curious because I have not gotten into anime until just recently and these ones are the reason why I now adore anime as a medium, and why it has such an appeal to people, so with that being said lets gets started with it.

1. Hunter x Hunter
2. Made in Abyss
3. The Promised Neverland
4. Madoka Magica
5. Demon Slayer

Oh and ps Eizouken is my favourite of the season >.>
my top 5 of all time has been pretty steady for a while

1. Kemonozume
  2. Digimon Tamers
  3. Lupin III (full series)
  4. Space Dandy
  5. Neon Genesis Evangelion

I like Rodan's format of watched anime with the addition of strike-through for things I regret. Now that I have my pc back I'm going to start posting what I've watched for the previous month going forward. I'm also going to use the english titles for simplicity sake, after all I don't speak/read japanese as much as I enjoy the medium. I'll include January along with last month and forget about everything before 2020 as I was on an anime hiatus for about four months.
KEY
Highly Satisfying
Very Enjoyable

Average
Regrettable
Recommended
Dropped
Re-watch
Must Watch Once

January

Sword Art Online: Alicization [s. 1] (6/10)
Nisekoi [s. 1 & 2] (4/10, 4/10)
Nande koko ni Sensei ga? (4/10)
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond Is Unbreakable (9/10)
The Mightiest Disciple Kenichi (6/10)
Heroman [ep. 6] (4/10)
Kakuriyo -Bed & Breakfast For Spirits (4/10)
Charlotte (8/10)
Kamigami No Asobi (3/10)
Is It Wrong To Try And Pick Up Girls In A Dungeon? [S. 2] (5/10)
Dies Irae [ep. 6] (3/10)
Erased (9/10)
Mekakucity Actors (7/10)
Golden Kamuy [s. 1 & 2] (7/10, 8/10)
Date A Live [s. 1 & 2] (4/10, 3/10)
Unlimited Psychic Squad (3/10)
Outlaw Star (8/10)
Coppelion (5/10)
Ninja Scroll (7/10)

February
Snow White with Red Hair [s. 1 & 2] (7/10, 6/10)
Gate [S. 1 & 2] (6/10, 6/10)
Gi(a)rlish Number (7/10)
Violet Evergarden + Violet Evergarden Special (6/10, 7/10)
Seraph of the End (4/10)
Seraph of the End: Battle in Nagoya (4/10)
Magical Sempai (5/10)
Strike Witches [ep. 4] (2/10)
Tsuredure Children (7/10)
The Silver Guardian [s. 1 & 2] (4/10, 3/10)
Shiki (7/10)
Girls & Panzer + Girls & Panzer: The Movie (8/10, 8/10)
Shakugane no Shana [S. 1, 2 & 3] (4/10, 3/10, 4/10)
Great Teacher Onizuka (7/10)
A Sister's All You Need [ep. 5] (2/10)
5 Centimeters Per Second (6/10)
Magi: Adventure of Sinbad (5/10)
ID-0 (4/10)
Occultic;Nine (7/10)
Space Patrol Luluco (7/10)
Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road [s. 1 & 2] (7/10, 7/10)
Yowamushi Pedal Movie (6/10)
Pikotaro's Lullaby La La By (5/10)

Last edited:

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
how do mfers watch 25 full seasons in a month?

anyway I'm glad I'm finally getting into kids shows; Healin' Good Precure is one of the more emotionally powerful series I've seen so far exactly because of its purity and genuine attempts to connect w/ an audience. Similarly, Pokemon (2019) is also about the power of friendship; surprisingly its battle sequences are when the series are at its lowest point, but just because the slice of life aspects are that well-written. both are strong recommendations

how do mfers watch 25 full seasons in a month?
1: be me
2: live in Nebraska
3: grow up in a church community
4: watch all my friends get married after HS
5: stop giving a shit about my upbringing
6: work second shift
7: have no social life
8: ???
9: profit!!

Another thing is that like 6 of those shows are 10 min episodes. And not all of them are 25 episodes seasons either

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
1) Death Note
2) Mob Psycho 100
3) My Hero Academia
4) Love is War
5) Demon Slayer

Martin

It's very rare that I come out of a story feeling like I've just watched/read something completely unique, but I think Beastars may have just been one of those stories. And my god was it good. Please go and either watch it or read the manga—it's outstanding.

I binged Usagi Drop earlier this week and I gotta say, it was one of the most wholesome shows I've ever watched. I never expected a show about raising a surrogate daughter to be so enjoyable. It's been out for quite some time [2011] and is available on Crunchyroll; 9/10 would recommend!

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It's very rare that I come out of a story feeling like I've just watched/read something completely unique, but I think Beastars may have just been one of those stories. And my god was it good. Please go and either watch it or read the manga—it's outstanding.
Started watching beastars and really loved the voice acting as well as a lot of the small character animation moments...for once im excited i ended up watching an anime adaptation first

Just finished up In This Corner of the World and now I have no idea what to do with my feelings. This one is gonna take a while to digest. Certainly not as consistently sad as Grave of the Fireflies but when the heavy moments hit I feel like they had more impact juxtaposed with the mostly lighter feel of the rest of the film. Disappointed it took me this long to find a streaming service to watch it on (Netfix); and the English dub was very good, but I'll probably watch it with subtitles next time.

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm notoriously picky and I don't really watch much Anime per se, but, ever since I finished watching Monster by Naoki Urasawa recently,
I figured that I finally have enough recommendable shows that I can share with fellow Smogon users:

My current personal Top 10 (may change over time):
  1. Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin/進撃の巨人) by Hajime Isayama
  2. TEXHNOLYZE (téknolàiz/テクノライズ) by Chiaki J. Konaka
  3. M⊙NS†ER (Monsutā/モンスター) by Naoki Urasawa
  4. Parasyte -the maxim- (Kiseijū Sei no Kakuritsu/寄生獣 セイの格率) by Hitoshi Iwaaki
  5. Berserk (Beruseruku/ベルセルク) by Kentaro Miura
  6. PSYCHO-PASS (Saiko Pasu/サイコパス) by Gen Urobuchi
  7. Detective Conan/Case Closed (Meitantei Konan/名探偵コナン) by Gosho Aoyama
  8. Magic Kaito (Majikku Kaito/まじっく快斗) by Gosho Aoyama
  9. Death Note (Desu Nōto/デスノート) by Tsugumi Ohba
  10. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (Tengen Toppa Guren Ragan/天元突破グレンラガン) by Kazuki Nakashima
I'd like to welcome the opportunity to conclude by saying that I'm also always open for any recommendations regarding detective stories!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)