XY Doubles Another bad team

As I have mentioned maybe twice briefly in the doubles room, I do crew (rowing for ignorant peoples) and i thought since it's the beginning of the season, I'll make a team based on that. The team has rewarded me quite well, on bottom and top of ladder so I thought I'd post this.

So, I started with these three as i wanted to make a tailwind lucario team. I found that they work pretty well with each other but lucario needed that extra umph. I have some pretty bad weaknesses and decided to add 3 extras i thought would work well.

Now it's starting to look like a team! While this team has obvious flaws it does add another tailwind setter in skymin and two decent mons with rotom and azumarill. Again mega lucario really wasnt doing it for me and i felt i needed something better, along with azumarill in need of a replacement.

These are my final team members and the ones that will be used in this RMT. This was a pretty fast teambuilding session for me especially since the team I created was pretty decent n_n. Now i have my two setters, skymin and t-flame, my support, hitmontop, my sweepers, mega gardevoir and kyurem-black, and my coverage mon Rotom-W.

So now for the real thing...
Crew Crew

Coxswain (Hitmontop) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Feint
- Quick Guard
- Wide Guard
- Close Combat

This guy is named the coxswain, and rightfully so. The nickname is more because of his size than anything but mind games come to play when he's involved, and considering the coxswains job is to use his head i figured it's a good themed nickname. I love using feint over fake out on this guy. Breaking protects, outspeeds the priority of sucker punch, and generally causes disruption. My twin guards are quite useful in all games and keeps my mons safe from rockslide, a weakness of mine. Close Combat gives him offensive presence and nails mons that are weak to it or unprepared. You can run fake out over feint or one of the guards (preferably quick) but i don't like to.

1 Seat (Talonflame) @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Tailwind
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
Now time for the 1 seat! This guy, just like the 1 seat (or stroke) keeps the pace of the boat. His tailwinds keep our team moving smoothly. Will-o-Wisp is of course useful for the crippling of physical threats, and most people don't expect that from a talonflame. Brave Bird works simply the same way as close combat does on hitmontop, giving offensive pressure to him and forcing out grass types with priority. I decided to forego quick guard seeing as i have both guards on hitmontop. One option is to run fake out on hitmontop, and run QG on t-flame over will-o-wisp.

2 Seat (Shaymin-Sky) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Seed Flare
- Tailwind
- Protect
The two seat, much like the one seat, keeps yhe pace of the boat. As another tailwind setter it was only fitting skymin got this spot. I normally use him to keep things going rather then set it up at the start. Seed flare and air slash make him a dangerous offensive threat while tailwind and protect add some utility to his use. If you really want to you can use a modest nature seiing as not much outspeeds a skymin in tailwind.

Engine Room (Kyurem-Black) @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect
The engine room, or the middle of the boat, is where the powerful rowers go, and where this powerful sweeper will go as well. This guy smashes through common mons with ice beam, and has a great coverage move, WHICH HITS ROTOMS, in earth power. Substitute is an all around great move to use, although hyper voice pixilate is something to watch out for. I guess you could run dragon pulse over sub if you really wanted to but i prefer substitute.

Engine Room (Gardevoir) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Synchronize
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Protect
- Energy Ball
Now the second part of the engine room sweepers, mega gardevoir. Spamming hyper voices is his game and he does it well. Under tailwind those hyper voices do a number on even resisted pokes. One of the main threats to him have got to be trick room, where pokes like mega mawile and exscavalier lurk withtheir iron heads. Also energy ball was added specifically to deal with water/ground types (QuickScopeNoScopes gastrodon :/) so it's definitely and interchangeable move.

8 seat (Rotom-Wash) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Protect
The 8 seats job is to keep the boat on course, and that's what this guy is best at! His great typing and stabs work well to eliminate threats and stop some pokes from taking down the team. His only flaw being that he is sort of weak and doesn't take attacks well. I choose to go with thunder wave over will-o-wisp because i already have wisp support on talonflame and thunder wave helps cripple fast sweepers. Will-o is an ok move to put on him but i prefer thunder wave.

Leads:
Here are a couple of my common leads:

Coxswain (Hitmontop) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Feint
- Quick Guard
- Wide Guard
- Close Combat

1 Seat (Talonflame) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Tailwind
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

8 Seat (Rotom-Wash) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Engine Room (Gardevoir) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Synchronize
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Protect
- Energy Ball

Engine Room (Kyurem-Black) @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

2 Seat (Shaymin-Sky) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Seed Flare
- Tailwind
- Protect

EDIT: This team isnt too bad in triples either ;)

So there you have it! Suggestions on the team are welcome and i'm open to anything. I would particularly like advice on my ev spreads, as you can tell they are not the most original ;)

Last edited:

Indie Flop

Banned deucer.
reserved for a rate in at most 3 days

EDIT: cant really rate yet, but do you have any replays?

Last edited:
Ok, trying to make a rate that isn't complete horseshit.

I dig how you combine TW with Shaymin, Kyurem and Gardevoir; they can do some serious damage together when under TW. Looking over the team, I feel that it could have some trouble against stuff like Megardevoir or Sylveon (especially under TR), but at least Hitmontop can buy you some time, while Talonflame can switch in and pick them off. It's not too big though. On to the rate~

Hitmontop

H-top definitely serves an important role to sponge Rock hits and Returns for the rest of your team, and I feel deserves a more defensive spread to keep him alive longer. As he's pretty slow naturally, he's going to be worn down throughout the match, so it's something to keep in mind as he's quite central to the team's defence. Although the Rock weakness may not completely covered by just him, the fact that he has Wide Guard compensates.

Hitmontop @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Atk / 60 Def / 60 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Feint
- Close Combat
- Quick Guard
- Wide Guard

Probaby the main draw of running 252 Atk on H-top is to OHKO Mega Kang. Howvever, since your set packs Feint, so you can easily pick it off after one CC, so you can afford more bulk now. Bulky sets with 128 Def on Kang are getting more common anyways. Quick Guard is still nice, because most of your team members won't appreciate taking a BB from Talonflame.

Talonflame

If you're going support Burd, you can run many different EVs, but I think the one you have fits the team well enough, save for some slight changes I've made below. What the EVs do are outrunning Adamant 252 Spe Kang, simple enough. You still retain firepower, which is important to the team. Sitrus > Leftovers because it's not as fast as Sitrus.

1 Seat (Talonflame) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Tailwind
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect / Flare Blitz / Roost

Flare Blitz is a good option on your Bulky T-flame, as Fire coverage is non-existant on the rest of the team. Mainly, getting rid of a Scizor or Ferrothorn can be very helpful to M-Garde. Roost is there to increase it's longevity, and can tank Burned physical hits as well as fairy spam better with recovery.

Mega Gardevoir

Energy Ball is terrible, and so is Gastrodon (sorry qsns). AND you've already got Seed Flare. You might want to consider Hyper Beam.

252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Beam vs. 252 HP / 120+ SpD Rotom-W: 321-378 (105.5 - 124.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 417-492 (118.4 - 139.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Beam vs. 248 HP / 188+ SpD Thundurus: 369-435 (102.2 - 120.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

You could also run at least 108 speed in order to outspeed Breloom, however your team deals with it very well already.

Rotom-W

Rotom's EVs can be improved greatly; the standard set is 252 Hp with 124 Spdef in order to survive a modest CharY Solarbeam, which is pretty damn important. There's an option to use 88 Spatk EVs only, with the rest into Def, as that's all you need to OHKO Landorus-T.

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 132 SpA / 124 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt / Electroweb
- Will-O-Wisp / Thunder Wave
- Electroweb / Protect

Electroweb is an option to use over Thunder Wave for speed control. I find WoW still very helpful as you've got Tailwind already, but I'd like to hear what others have to say on this, since T-Wave Rotom-W is quite a rare sight. If you're going to run Electroweb, be sure to use 252 HP / 80 SpA / 124 SpD / 52 Spe, for after hitting a Max Speed base 100 with Electroweb, you can outpace them. This is most notable for beating CharY.

In all, cool team, and there's not any major flaws I can find. Good luck on it's refinement!

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would start with removing tailwind on Skymin and replacing with earth power, and replacing Talonflame for maybe a more bulky zapdos variant. Skymin is far too frail, and if you swap things round to modest Skymin, in a tailwind that will hurt.

(Zapdos) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 28 SpA / 32 SpD / 112 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Light Screen
- Tailwind

The screens also provide alot more bulk. You can handle ground types quite well, I would also suggest Focus Blast or HP Ground over energy ball on Garde, it doesn't seem to do much that hyper voice won't, and EB leaves you walled by tran.

Also Rotom doesn't like 252/252 spreads in my experience, this is a much bulkier set made to handle Zard Y and Mega Kang;

(Rotom-Wash) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 96 SpA / 124 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)