Other Metagames Anything goes bulky balance or stall? Idk

So I've gotten to about 1450 with this team. Not that high but it's working pretty well so far. Maybe that will change if I ladder a bit higher but criticism is appreciated. There are so many things to watch out for in this metagame and I think it's close to impossible to cover literally everything so my team kind of loosely tries to check boxes on most things. I'm still not sure at this point what's most relevant and what's not. Haven't ran into as many Mega Rayquazas as I would've expected.

Tyranitar @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Pursuit
- Rock Slide
- Foul Play
- Outrage

Tyranitar acts as a check to things like Mega Rayquaza that opt for V-Create(Or any other variant that lacks Earthquake) and OHKOs with Z-Outrage. It also helps with Zard X and Mega Salamence(after some chip) as Rock Slide with no investment doesn't come close to OHKOing. Pursuit helps with things like the Latios, Latias and Gengar. Tyranitar also checks Yveltal bar Focus Blast. Also checks Lunala and Dawn Wings Necrozma and Sand Stream breaks things like Sashes on non rock, ground and steels and Shadow Shield and Multiscale. Admittedly this set is me trying to use something somewhat unique and cool.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Flamethrower

Celesteela checks Mega Rayquaza without V-Create. Leech Seed helps with recovery and helps other mons on the team recover HP if used on a predicted switch in that forces Celesteela out. Dusk Mane Necrozma and Mega Salamence also has trouble breaking Celesteela. Flamethrower helps it not get walled by Ferrothorn, and KOs Kartana and Scizor. It also checks Tapu Lele, Mega Diancie and Tapu Bulu.

Heatran @ Assault Vest
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Magma Storm

The only reason Heatran is here is because of Naganadel, whom I have yet to see, but I realize that without Heatran it's easy for it to overwhelm my team since Tyranitar loses to +2 Devastating Drake as it doesn't have SpDef investment. Heatran does bring utility since Magma Storm traps and does residual damage while Lava Plume can spread burns. It's lived some insanely strong hits like a +2 Gigavolt Havoc from Tapu Koko in Electric Terrain and got an Earth Power off. It's bulky enough to be a good pivot into Mewtwo if it isn't running Earthquake or something. It lives Earth Power from Mega Diancie and OHKOs with Flash Cannon if need be and checks Tapu Lele.

Zygarde-Complete @ Leftovers
Ability: Power Construct
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Coil
- Glare
- Rest

Zygarde Complete checks most things that are physically offensive after Power Construct activates. This gives counter play to things like Primal Groudon and SD Arceus and gives my team a wincon. Glare spreads paralysis and allows my team to outspeed some faster mons and eases Zygarde's own setup. A lot of the time Zygarde is so bulky that it can wait out Rest turns and go forgo Sleep Talk in a lot of situations especially after a few coils.

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heart Swap
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Heal Bell

This is my Xerneas check. Heart Swap is to counter Geomancy. This also walls Yveltal outside of Heat Wave. Checks Tapu Lele and Mega Diancie as well. Heal Bell provides cleric support which is good, though half of my team is immune to Toxic and Zygarde has Rest. Heart Swap also checks all of the Moody Smeargles that I've encountered which potentially allows Magearna to reverse sweep.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Clear Smog
- Infestation
- Earthquake
- Recover

Gastrodon is here because without it, Kyogre just sweeps the entire team. I've ran into things like Moody Smeargle on the ladder and Clear Smog helps to remove the boosts. Infestation is for trapping and residual damage on the Pokemon that Gastrodon checks. It's a good check to Tapu Koko that doesn't have Grass Knot or something. It acts as a decent check to Greninja as well.

Edit: Have switched Crunch to Foul Play on Tyranitar.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)