Archeops

you know how salamence was in gen4, only disposable by priorty, phasing, and its SR weakness, in a way, this is like that but has traded more power for less in time,

honestely, as long as hippowdon exsists this thing will fill a nice mini mence hole.
watching battles on youtube has shown teams who have just forgotten about all the goodies from older gens, someone go vs them with an old gen4 team and see what happens

You probably had a crit. or something... I tested this too and my attack (ancient power) was way weaker after <50 % health. :\
Hm... Yeah. That really could be. Talk about bad timing.

Well, I will try him either way, because he seems like he could be a real fun suicide Pokemon. Kill something weakened with Jewel Acrobat, then either attack or Endeavor(depending on your own HP). If lucky, you can cripple/defeat two Pokemon with it. SR and Sandstream appreciated:

Archeos@Flying Jewel
Jolly
252Atk 252Spe 6HP
Endeavor
Quick Attack
Head Smash
Acrobat

Head Smash is there for maximum power. Like I said, suicidal. Best to come in after a KO.

Endeavor I agree does make it better by letting it take advantage of low HP, and its low defenses ensure that once you take a hit your HP will go way down (assuming you don't faint) and your speed should allow you to Endeavor a lot fo damage before fainting.

Course another way to look at Weak Kneed is how often this guy, due to his stats and typing, was going to be knocked out in one hit anyway once it got hit, rendering its ability moot.

......Those two right there pretty much ruin him.

I was under the impression that his ability only halves his attack so you would head smash on the switch and hit HARD and then ya you would be relativeley low (if they have stealth rocks up i recommend a spinner) then you would just use your special side butttt..... that doesnt work out so much.. what a LAME ability though i mean COME ON!!

There is some possibility that a new ability for Archaeos from the dream world will be released in the third version?(like jaroda's perversity or shadow tag shanderaa)?

There is some possibility that a new ability for Archaeos from the dream world will be released in the third version?(like jaroda's perversity or shadow tag shanderaa)?
Really doubt it... they wouldn't just go releasing new abilities for Slaking or Regigigas from the DW, and I don't think they'd overwrite this negative ability either. Although they could give it Slow Start instead... haha.

It isnt going to do anything agaisnt Scizor, Skarmory, Bronzong etc. After it comes in once with sr up, its 75%, a counter comes and then it will be forced to switch. Once it comes back in its close to useless. U-Turn should not be an option. Providing spin support is going to be harder this gen since supporters can be seen as set up bait. e.g. bringing out weather, Sub(Taunt?)Seeders and Taunt Sweepers.

This is a good partner for Baton Pass Bulk Up Blaziken.
I believe as a Baton Pass recipient is the one chance this has at landing a role on a team in OU. Boosting mighty base stats to begin with, getting this thing off with some boost and a sub is quite frankly frightening. This issue of course is pulling this off.

So...
Has anyone been brave enough to try him in the Gen V servers?
I'm not optimistic at all about how he'd perform from what I've heard of the state of the metagame, but I'd still like to hear stories and info if anyone has em.

Another flyer likely to end up in BL if it goes anywhere.

As a late-game sweeper this guy might be able to finish off your opponent's weakened HeraBoss, and then help defeat the other members of the team, if any remain.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
This is a good partner for Baton Pass Bulk Up Blaziken.
I believe as a Baton Pass recipient is the one chance this has at landing a role on a team in OU. Boosting mighty base stats to begin with, getting this thing off with some boost and a sub is quite frankly frightening. This issue of course is pulling this off.
I don't really think he needs a Speed Boost with 110 Speed, if anything he'd want more attack to counteract Faint Hearted..

actually he does. a +1 speed boost would be enough, allowing him to piss all over scarfed pokes with base 110 speed and below. to be more precise, his only problem would be priority and stuff he cant ohko.

so is it confirmed that it's ability drops it's SpAtk as well? someone on gamefaqs posted a video saying it was true(and verified by smogon.) but in the video it was shown attacking a steel type with dragon pulse which isn't a good test imo since when attacking something resistant to your typing, the damage can variate and the opposing steel type had leftovers on as well.

Damage always has slight variations regardless of what type you're attacking. I think I know the video you're talking about, though, and Dragon Pulse was pretty clearly doing around half damage after his HP dropped below 50%.

So...
Has anyone been brave enough to try him in the Gen V servers?
I'm not optimistic at all about how he'd perform from what I've heard of the state of the metagame, but I'd still like to hear stories and info if anyone has em.
Personally I ran him as a CB Revenge Killer to decent success, he doesn't have staying power but he hurts like a bitch, Fly will even 2HKO Doryuuzu if I'm not mistaken.

A good idea I heard us using this guy with sitrus berry + acrobat. Sitrus can be helpful to keep him over the 50% mark

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
A good idea I heard us using this guy with sitrus berry + acrobat. Sitrus can be helpful to keep him over the 50% mark
Yeah, but what does his defenses say about Sitrus Berry? I'd much rather use a pinch berry, like Salac or Leichi, to get a last ditch effort on overconfident Pokemon such as faster Starmie or bulky Blissey.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, but what does his defenses say about Sitrus Berry? I'd much rather use a pinch berry, like Salac or Leichi, to get a last ditch effort on overconfident Pokemon such as faster Starmie or bulky Blissey.
If you're playing Archaeos like this, you're Doing It Wrong<tm>.

Archaoes is obviously not designed to take damage here, as of course it's a terrible idea to even consider thanks to its ability. The only time Archaeos should take damage is from Stealth Rock. Period. You're going to flee at the first sight of a priority user. There is without a doubt. Life Orb is terrible on a Stealth Rock-weak Pokemon such as this, so there are likely a couple items you're only going to exercise:

- Choice Band
- Choice Scarf
- Flying Jewel
- Sitrus Berry
- Expert Belt

Exercising any other item is a waste of time. Salac could work in theory, but now you have to use Substitute and Swords Dance and pray for priority out of the way.

With that in mind, Archaeos will still be pretty bad. The only good news is that it has options after it gets very low on health. As I've stated before, Head Smash after Weak-Kneed kicks in hits about the same as Rock Slide does outside of Weak-Kneed. You also have Endeavor, which is good enough for last ditch efforts. Steps to use Archaeos:

1: 31 HP IV + 4 HP EVs - This should be painfully obvious. With the IV given, Archaeos will be able to step into Stealth Rock twice still be at full power. Once Archaeos steps in a third time, it's obviously in the range (with the exception of Sitrus).

2: Rock Slide > Stone Edge - Archaeos cannot afford to miss or else it's screwed.

3: If Stealth Rock is too much, hire a spinner - You have two powerful options: Doryuuzu and Starmie. These guys are effective spinners because they pummel most Spin blockers. Starmie is wonky on Spiritomb sadly, but it does have Thunderbolt to tackle Burungeru.

4: "Revenge Kill purposes only" - If the opponent is Scarfed or has a priority move, you know what to do: don't send it out.

4: If all else fails, don't use it - You're given a choice. I don't think I'd use this guy anyway.

Best moveset above all else for all the sets would look something like this:

- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Head Smash
- Endeavor

Choice sets can replace Endeavor with Dragon Claw if they'd like, and Acrobat can be used over Head Smash or Endeavor. I'd probably stay away from U-turn myself, but I guess it can still be deployed as it's always useful whether you're strong or not.

nah. a kick in the balls would be if he learned belly drum.

i actually see a sub set working. by using 29 hp ivs(thanks colonel) he is capable of taking SR AND SUB damage while still keeping his normal atack. he is more then capable of causing switchs so you only gotta predict a little.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Unless this is a Groudon metagame, I think a lot of people are seriously underestimating 140 base attack and head smash. This thing is going to be crazy.

I was just thrilled that GF finally figured out that slow bulky rock types do not work, and built us a fast offensive one. This guy will be impressive!

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Unless this is a Groudon metagame, I think a lot of people are seriously underestimating 140 base attack and head smash. This thing is going to be crazy.

I was just thrilled that GF finally figured out that slow bulky rock types do not work, and built us a fast offensive one. This guy will be impressive!
Sure it's insanely powerful, but once its attack is halved, it's not quite as frightening.
Recoil doesn't help its case all that much, either.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Stealth Rock + Head Smash = Under 50% pretty fast. Even though it's a strong as Rock Slide under Weak-Kneed, he's still not that great, especially since he can't really use Life Orb.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)