Ascension

Hey guys, it's me again. I've been studying different pokemon I could use to make a new team, and I made one, meant to climb up the ladder and get me back to where I was, at about 100-200 or something, and if I can get higher, even better.
My last team was designed to counter weather teams without weather of it's own. It did really well when weather teams were many and generic, but when teams started becoming more and more original, my team started it's decay, and ended up being a pathetic one.
I decided I needed to open myself to new things and try with different pokemon, for a more complete team that can help me in any situation.
In competitive play, you don't always use the pokemon you like the most, and I came to accept that, but something I'll never take out of my team is Infernape, since he's my favorite pokemon, so again this team is centered around him.

I had a few choices of pokemon to pair him with, most notably Latios, Gyarados, Starmie, and I wanted to try Sigilyph too. I didn't want to use latios because I'd used him in my last two teams, and after some thinking, I went with Starmie.

Next, I wanted something that resisted Electric moves. I had to choose between Garchomp and Haxorus since I wanted a dragon dancer, and I picked garchomp at first, only to realize he doesn't learn dragon dance... silly me =/. So then, we have Haxorus.

Also, I wanted a bulky lead, and also wanted to try with Stealth Rock, something new to me, and maybe Trick, since it's an annoying move to face. This lead me to choose Metagross.

Since status cripples any member of the team here, I needed someone with Heal Bell or Aromatherapy, again something I haven't used before, and I was between Blissey and Vaporeon. Since for some reason I dislike Blissey (not that I love Vaporeon either, but oh well), I went with Vaporeon, which also adds a water immunity to my team.

Finally, I dediced to choose another defensive pokemon, and I chose Dusclops and Deoxys-D from my list of possible pokemon from the Smogon OU threat list. Both had monstrous defenses and nice little tricks. I went with Dusclops.

---------

CLOSER LOOK

Heatran (M) @ Power Herb
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 168 HP / 120 Def / 100 SAtk / 120 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Heat Wave
- SolarBeam

OK I love this dude. After DownF4ll suggested me to use it, I tried it out, and I like it, really. Solarbeam + Power Herb means this guy's taking out any bulky water lead (most notably swampert) like it's nothing. It even worked against politoed! Since nobody expects this combo, they stay in game and I'm like BAM!, firin' mah lazor. Once their lead's down, I set up the rocks, and leave or maybe stay, depending what my opponent sent out. I can then use it to absorb fire attacks aimed at Ferrothorn, which are rare anyway because everyone already knows I have a Heatran. I tried HP grass later, and it's just not that powerfull and doesn't OHKO Swampert. I'm still unsure wether I should keep this set for surprise or use HP grass + Air Balloon for survivability.

Infernape (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Mach Punch
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat

This set is the same as I used to run in my AntiWeather team. Hit hard, fast, and as many times as possible, with a set that has a nice coverage and is hard to predict (I love when my opponent predicts a Flare Blitz on a ferrothorn, send a damaged politoed for instance and get KO'd with Close Combat, or send a flying pokemon and get hit with Rock Slide). Also, about the Rock Slide/Stone Edge dilemma, I chose Rock Slide because, considering how frail Infernape is, missing an attack and wasting a turn could mean me getting KOd or lead to a pretty bad situation. I know that not KOing the opposing pokemon could have the same consequences, but at least I damage them, and also that flinch rate is really helpful, saving me on many, many ocassions.

Haxorus (M) @ Yache Berry
Trait: Rivalry
EVs: 152 Atk / 104 Def / 100 SDef / 152 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Dual Chop/ Dragon Claw

This is my Dragon Dancer. Since a confused Haxorus is a real problem, I prefer using Dual Chop which after a +1, STAB, Adamant, Base 148 attack is already devastating enough for non-resisting pokemon, and breaks subs. Earthquake is for Steels and Rocks and I use Dragon Tail in case a Ferrothorn shows up, so that I just fling it out of play so I can deal with it later using Infernape*, since Haxorus doesn't have any fire attacks and no non-STAB 2x attack can bring down that defensive beast, so I just won't bother with it.
Instead of Lum Berry+Outrage i just kept Yache because of all the Ice Shards and Ice Beams around. Less offensive, but more reliable, that's usually my philosophy. Same with Timid/Jolly instead of Modest/Adamant.

*This my most reliable way to save the ape for later. I used to send Infernape in in my other team, but that only means ferrothorn is switching out and I never get to hit it with Infernape, which also means he gets exposed to other pokemon's attacks and could get KO'd which could mean I may lose just because of Ferrothorn since nothing else can KO it effectively.

Sigilyph (M) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Cosmic Power
- Psycho Shift
- Stored Power
- Roost

I haven't played PO for a while and I forgot why Starmie wasn't helping me much anymore, so I dumped it over Sigilyph. This one's good: cripples physical sweepers with Psycho Shift, survives anything with Cosmic Power and Roost, and then tears everything apart with Stored Power. You can't ask more than that. Also flying type adds a much needed ground immunity. Having this as a last-man is almost a garanteed win, since I can't be phazed and I srvive everything. Even dark pokemon. I just pass the burn with psycho shift, and start boosting and roosting. Even tyranitar can't deal with this, unless he gets a crit. It can easily destroy an entire team when used properly! (and it did, a couple times)

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes
- Power Whip

Every time I saw a ferrothorn I found it impossible to KO it with anything but fire, so I decided to try it myself, since I can cripple non-ground sweepers with Thunder Wave, use Spikes to further boost the amount of passive damage the opponent takes, and once fire pokemon are out of play, just win by stalling. But no, that doesn't happen actually. STAB fighting attacks destroy me like it's nothing, and many +1 attacks do the same. Any suggestions? I need this thing to be more survivable.

Vaporeon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Scald
- Toxic

This is my team healer. Wish and Heal Bell, especially the latter, are incredibly useful on the rest of my team, which is severely crippled by status (paralysis and burn for sweepers, and bad poison on Dusclops and Vaporeon itself), and at some point need healing so that they can still destroy things rather than being considered "dead" to me at that point of the game or just as priority users. Scald is my attacking move (and burns ^^) and Toxic deals status, particularily against other walls.

OTHER OPTIONS:

Deoxys-D: A pokemon with base 160 defenses, that has Recover, Psyco Shift and Cosmic Power? Yes please! It was my second choice to Dusclops, and I picked him because he wasn't a legendary, but I might change my mind about it.

EDIT: Replaced Starmie with Sigilyph, and Dusclops with Ferrothorn. Also changed Dragon Claw for Dual Chop.

Conclussions so far

These are mostly about the new things I tried and my opinion on them. They don't gie any new information about the team, but I just like to share them anyway. Read them if you want, it's not necessary.

- Stealth Rock is quite useful really. It means no severely hurt pokemon can survive a switch, and most of the time they can't survive when they come back into play after a team mate was KO'd. Also disables Charizard, Volcarona, Ninjask and Yanmega, which can be dealt with Rock Slide anyway, but that can be troublesome, especially the latter two which spam Protect to get Speed Boost and either Batton Pass or wreack havoc. Those who haven't tried it yet should really do.
- Wish and Heall Bell are really a bliss to any team, but even more for offensive teams like this one (it has two defensive pokemon but it's mostly offensive-oriented), since you get statused all the time, and paralysis and burn really make our pokemon useless most of the time, no matter wether they're healthy or low on HP. Healing and De-Statusing recycles your pokemon, allowing you to stay in play for longer instead of just "losing" a pokemon whenever it gets paralysed or burnt if it is a physical sweeper. I'm having some trouble with handling Wish, but that will improve with experience I guess. My problem is that I send in a damaged pokemon to get healed, but then it just dies, be it because it gets hurt or because of Stealth Rock.
- The Status+Hex combo isn't as powerful as it sounds on paper. I tried it with Rotom W and Dusclops, and if your pokemon doesn't have the stats or typing, you just won't get really high damage.

Hi there, nice team.

What I notice immediately notice is that your Metagross is holding a choice item which is cool although you would benefit more From Choice Scarf seeing as most Pokemon who switch into Metagross as slow tanks such as Ferrothorn, Hippodown and Forretress and they would not appreciate a scarf(making Gyro Ball weaker, allowing Haxorus to sweep more efficiently).

Next for Haxorus, I use him in all my teams and he is by far the biggest monster in this game. However you are holding it back from becoming that beast. Dragon Tail is nice for phazing out other phazers, however you don't have Outrage which 2HKOs all Steel after a DD and after 2 Dragon Dance this bad boy, OHKOes Excradrill. I suggest replacing Dragon Tail with Outrage and Dragon Claw with Brick Break which is so damn important, I cannot stress it enough. It deals with Nattorei nicely as well as defeating Balloon Pokemon that Earthquake cannot touch, and sine you do not use Lum berrry it would be nice to avoid using Outrage just to hit a Air Balloon holder, especially fragile ones.

I don't think Specs Starmie is needed, you just lose your amazing coverage and trust me, when you switch in and out alot, especially with weather everywhere, you won't last long. Besides LO Starmie is a nice lategame sweeper.

Good luck.

haunter

Banned deucer.
You need detailed descriptions under each and every member of your team. I'll give you a few hours to fix your post, if you fail to do so I'll have to lock your thread under rule 3.

I edited some hours ago, now everything I had to say is written there.
EDIT: Also changed Haxorus' Dragon Claw for Dual Chop.

I tried to edit this many days ago, but when I finished editing there was an error and lost all my data, and I felt so frustrated I just left this tread as it was and abandoned it. Now updated it and I have a question: Can someone suggest a bulky lead that can use stealth rock (really important) and trick (not so important)? If it's a special attacker, even better, otherwise it's not that bad. Also what do you say I use Swampert?

As for Ferrothorn, I need suggestions to make it more survivable, or otherwise suggest something else. Maybe Quagsire? I used it on my last team and he does a really good job at screwing sweepers. I had Toxic, Stockpile, Recover and Ice beam. Should I reuse it? or something else?

I tried to edit this many days ago, but when I finished editing there was an error and lost all my data, and I felt so frustrated I just left this tread as it was and abandoned it. Now updated it and I have a question: Can someone suggest a bulky lead that can use stealth rock (really important) and trick (not so important)? If it's a special attacker, even better, otherwise it's not that bad. Also what do you say I use Swampert?

As for Ferrothorn, I need suggestions to make it more survivable, or otherwise suggest something else. Maybe Quagsire? I used it on my last team and he does a really good job at screwing sweepers. I had Toxic, Stockpile, Recover and Ice beam. Should I reuse it? or something else?
Well there's Heatran, he's bulky, has SR and is a Special Attacker, I don't think he has trick though. He could also help Ferrothorn with Flash Fire.

The problem with heatran though is that he looks so fucking stupid; but if you can get past that not only are you a better person than me, but you'll have a good poke on your hands.

WTF happened to the quick reply? oh nvm.

Hey that's a good one. I was testing rhyperior until I had something better, only 2 battles so far so dunno if he serves his purpose well, but I'll certainly give heatran a shot, seems really nice on paper at least. Thanks a lot!

I don't notice any glaring weaknesses due to typing, but it appears you could use better EV spreads on a few of your Pokemon.

For Ferrothorn, I suggest a spread of 252 hp/80 def/176 sdef. This spread will keep the slightly mixed-defense feel of your original and improve its longevity. The item, nature, and move set are fine. The only suggestion I can make is Protect over Thunder Wave if the idea of "free" end-of-turn recovery from leftovers (and leech seed) is appealing to you.

I noticed you've recently started using Heatran. If that does not pan out for you, I would like to suggest an altered set for Metagross:

Metagross @ Balloon
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 240 HP /252 Atk/ 16 SDef
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Stealth Rock

The EV spread of this set is slightly optimized towards defense while maintaining maximum Attack. This move set allows you to keep Stealth Rock and Bullet Punch, but affords you more power and coverage with Meteor Mash and Earthquake respectively. Finally, a Balloon alleviates Metagross of a weakness (until hit) and improves his chances of switching in and fulfilling his job. Since this team is 5th Gen, do not feel compelled to lead with Metagross if you feel the match-up will be poor.

As for Haxorus, I agree with user SOMALIA's suggestions. With his recommended move set changes I believe a spread of 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe will allow it to hit harder and out-speed more after just one Dragon Dance.

Do you have any specific threats you have trouble handling with this team?

I have a few extra comments you may want to keep in mind. Jirachi has the same typing as Metagross and access to both Stealth Rock and Trick. If you feel your Sigilyph spread needs to be more defensive, try 252 HP/ 200 Def/ 56 Spe. Your Vaporeon is missing its last four EVs. When using Wish you may have to send in a Pokemon that is a better match-up rather than the one you want to heal to avoid losing the weakened Pokemon.

In conclusion, if you want to know how to come up with defensive spreads, check out the How To Maximize Your Defenses (D/P) article by X-Act.

I hope you find these suggestions helpful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)