Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer & General Resources (OU Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to add to that, at the end of a game it will show the points you and your opponent gained and lost. The points change that is actually displayed is your ACRE, but it's generally sill a decent indicator of what your rating is doing. Once you have a deviation of less than 100, you'll appear on the leaderboard, provided you have high enough ACRE.

Provided you win a fair bit, 2000 Glicko2 can be achieved relatiely quickly - the system is unsure how to rank you early on, so you may be able to gain 300 or more points from your first win, and up to around 100 from the next couple. However, as soon as you start losing, the amount you gain for each win will decrease.

On the other hand, 55 deviation will take a little longer. You should probably expect to play around 40-50 battles to get your deviation that low, possibly fewer if you're lucky. This is probably the main challenge of achieving voting requirements, because even if you get the rating required, you have to maintain in over lots of battles to qualify.

Good luck & have fun!

Quick Q: Any reason to run Timid on Rock Polish Genesect at all? I don't see anything outspeeding it after +2 speed even if it's Modest.
You're right. After +2, a Modest max-Speed Genesect reaches 594 speed, which no Pokemon can outspeed (except a Choice Scarf Dexoys-S or something). But since you'll never see that, go ahead and run Modest.

Timid is useful because Genesect will often want to pick things off early game before it get the RP off. It also makes it easier to bluff a choice set. However, it doesn't do much once you get the +2, so Modest is nicer in that regard.

A question concerning fusing/splitting the Kyurem formes. Does base Kyurem keep the moves gained while in a different forme after being split again?

A question concerning fusing/splitting the Kyurem formes. Does base Kyurem keep the moves gained while in a different forme after being split again?
IIRC fused Kyurem will have the same moves as normal kyurem, but will swap Glaciate for Freeze Shock / Freeze Burn. IVs and EVs are those of Kyurem too, I think.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
A weird question that i didn't know where else to make. In the statistics section in your profile wall, in the general information part, what is the ''Referrals'' thing used for?

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Quick Q: Any reason to run Timid on Rock Polish Genesect at all? I don't see anything outspeeding it after +2 speed even if it's Modest.
It's mainly used when its unboosted. the extra speed can definitely save you. being able to outspeed Modest Landorus and speed tie with other genesect is pretty important. Timid Landorus is unable to OHKO Genesect at full with Earthpower, but Modest Landorus is. You don't know how many times I've rock polished up on a Modest Landorus and got OHKO'd by an Earth power, when I could've ko'd it with an ice beam in the first place :[.

A weird question that i didn't know where else to make. In the statistics section in your profile wall, in the general information part, what is the ''Referrals'' thing used for?
I think it's how many people you got to join smogon.

Guys, I'm completely braindead. I have 3 pokemon holding band right now, 2 of which need to be changed to scarf or life orb. I'm not sure which to change.

Infernape
Garchomp
Breloom

I have no idea what ones should get what right now. I was thinking Scarf on Chomp, Life Orb on Nape, CB on Breloom. Suggestions are appreciated.

The whole team is:

Infernape (CC, Mach Punch, Fire Punch, Stone Edge)
Standard Banded Garchomp but w/ rough skin
Technician Breloom (Mach Punch, Low Sweep, Bullet Seed, Stone Edge)
Defensive Carracosta (Surf, HP Grass, Toxic, Stealth Rock) (I know what you're thinking, don't even.) w/ Leftovers
Sp.Def Stall Uxie (Rest, Recycle, Toxic, U-Turn) w/ Chesto Berry
Sp.Def Jirachi (Body Slam, Iron Head, Stealth Rock, Wish)

And as I said, don't even comment on the Carracosta. I've used Carracosta for quite a while in OU for the same purpose (usually with Ice Beam over HP Grass, I'm gonna try out HP Grass for a bit, then if it doesn't work, switch back). So halp pls.

I would say Scarf Infernape and make it mixed if you would like, or just keep it the way it is, and definitely give the Life Orb to Breloom so it gains more utility for dealing with its counters with Stone Edge or hitting switch-ins with Low Sweep

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
how should we know =P go ask gamefreak/nintendo, nobody can tell whether or not an event will be released except them. people keep asking about events as if we can somehow see when they'll be released - the only warning we have of an event upcoming is official word from nintendo, or hearing about the release in japan. otherwise it's up in the air

and for those who are curious, indeed BP zd is only available from pokemon xd gale of darkness so it would be illegal with LR

how should we know =P go ask gamefreak/nintendo, nobody can tell whether or not an event will be released except them. people keep asking about events as if we can somehow see when they'll be released - the only warning we have of an event upcoming is official word from nintendo, or hearing about the release in japan. otherwise it's up in the air

and for those who are curious, indeed BP zd is only available from pokemon xd gale of darkness so it would be illegal with LR
Meh, someone told me it would be legal soon so I was just asking. Guess I was right for being skeptical.

Well there's absolutely nothing stopping Game Freak from releasing Baton Pass as a dream world move on Zapdos, in which case the combination would indeed be legal. However, it's impossible to predict what dream world moves Pokemon get, so for now the answer to you question is, as alkine mentioned (i hope you don't mind me calling you that :P) that we just don't know!

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Look no further than Deoxys-D. Nothing competes with Deoxys-D as the entry hazard lead. Having access to both SR and Spikes in one mon is the biggest selling point of Deoxys-D as opposed to other SR leads, such as Terrakion or Garchomp.

Was bored so ran a damage calculator to try and figure out the single highest possible damaging attck possible in gen 5.

I took a Charizard with Solar Power at +6 special attack holding a fire gem in the sun and using Blast Burn(150 bp Fire) max IVs and max EV's in SA.
His opponent was a Paras with dry skin, zero ivs and evs at -6 special defence.

Ended up doing 25,500-30,500 damage.

Anyone able to get more damage?

This is purely for entertainment knowlage

Was bored so ran a damage calculator to try and figure out the single highest possible damaging attck possible in gen 5.

I took a Charizard with Solar Power at +6 special attack holding a fire gem in the sun and using Blast Burn(150 bp Fire) max IVs and max EV's in SA.
His opponent was a Paras with dry skin, zero ivs and evs at -6 special defence.

Ended up doing 25,500-30,500 damage.

Anyone able to get more damage?

This is purely for entertainment knowlage
I found this by using Google:

"A level 100 Shuckle can potentially deal the most damage in one single attack through the use of numerous stat boosters; by using Helping Hand by two different Pokémon in a Triple battle, holding a Metronome, Power Trick, a Skill Swap to Pure Power or Huge Power, 6 Attack boosts, and a Mimiced Me First used on a slower Pokémon using the Defense Curl/Rollout combo. Also, Shuckle's partner must have the ability Flower Gift and the weather must be sunny. On the 5th turn of using Rollout consecutively without any misses, if used against a level 1 Ledyba, Yanma or Combee with minimum Defense stats, that have been hit with negative Defense modifiers (such as Screech), it can deal 360,949,532 damage with a critical hit." -Bulbapedia

Correct me if i am wrong but is garchomp with sand veil in sandstorm is banned? but rough skin garchomp is allowed?

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Correct me if i am wrong but is garchomp with sand veil in sandstorm is banned? but rough skin garchomp is allowed?
Garchomp isn't banned at all, Sand Veil is. So Garchomp is illegal regardless of sand, if it carries Sand Veil, otherwise it's legal in every weather. The same applies to Sand Veil Gliscor or Snow Cloak Mamoswine.

Does anybody remember the IV spread and moveset for the old "ChainChomp" set from way back when Garchomp was legal in Gen 4 OU?

If yes, can you post it, please?

*EDIT*

Nvm, I think I found it......

name: Chain Chomp
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Draco Meteor
move 4: Fire Blast
item: Life Orb
nature: Naughty
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Is that the correct one?

Does anybody remember the IV spread and moveset for the old "ChainChomp" set from way back when Garchomp was legal in Gen 4 OU?

If yes, can you post it, please?

*EDIT*

Nvm, I think I found it......

name: Chain Chomp
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Draco Meteor
move 4: Fire Blast
item: Life Orb
nature: Naughty
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Is that the correct one?
From googling, I found:
Garchomp @Life Orb ** Chain Chomp
EVs: 16 Attack / 252 Special Attack / 240 Speed
Nature: Lonely OR Naughty
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

From this old thread.

For this question, I'm going to need someone who is knowledgeable in all tiers: what tier is best for a stall player? I've spent the last few weeks searching around the other tiers to find this answer, but all tiers seem to have problems for stall:

-Ubers: relies a lot on skill, something like Mewtwo has no counters
-OU: why I want to leave for a while: Genesect
-UU: I tried UU a bit, but Mew really hurts
-RU: looks idea until I did some research, something like Magmortar with prediction and fuck any stall team
-NU: actually doesn't look half bad, but the lack of spikers in this tier really hurts team building

So for for all you crazy "all tiers" people, which tier is the best for me to stall in?

Neliel

Sacred Sword
Honestly, i played Ubers, Ou, uu and even ru. I think that the uber metagame is what you should look for if you want to stall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)