Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer & General Resources (OU Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Specs is a better Wallbreaker, but Calm Mind is a better cleaner/sweeper. Both are good sets though.
Hmm... Ok :) i just have one problem tho. I need offensive power on my team, and i need keldeo to be able to plow through teams yet stay alive i guess? So which one would be good there? Specs has hp electric but cm has hp ghost... Which one would really help me 1 vs 1? Which one has been more effective?

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hmm... Ok :) i just have one problem tho. I need offensive power on my team, and i need keldeo to be able to plow through teams yet stay alive i guess? So which one would be good there? Specs has hp electric but cm has hp ghost... Which one would really help me 1 vs 1? Which one has been more effective?
I recommend CM because of the more options you have. As a dedicated user of CM, I know just how powerful pokemon get at +2: very. You just need two turns and you'l be even stronger than specs. The problem is getting those two boosts. While keldeo is no Blissey when it comes to sp. Def, CM does help by boosting your duability. If you play smart, you'll find that CM surpasses specs in the long run. Of course, it all really depends on your team.
if you still want more help, try posting an RMT in the rmt thread- I'm sure the raters there (and myself) would be very happy to help if we had some more information.

If you need to plow through things, the Specs set is the way to go. The Calm Mind set is powerful, but lacks the "oomph" without setting up boosts; this can decrease its longevity because setting up takes turns, which usually means taking damage. The Specs set shouldn't have too much of a problem staying alive as long as you keep hazards off the field since it's very hit and run; it comes in, fires of an attack, and retreats. As for the Hidden Power choice, it doesn't really matter. You can pick whichever helps your team the most.

Realistically though, Keldeo isn't the best choice if you need an offensive Water-type with lots of longevity since it has lackluster bulk. I'd recommend you try out either Suicune or Specs Slowbro. The former is capable of setting up Calm Mind on much of the tier and has great bulk on both sides. Spec Slowbro is more unorthodox, but fits your needs perfectly. It's very bulky, has great coverage, has surprising power with Choice Specs, and can easily recover health with Regenerator. However, if you're really set on using Keldeo then you should provide it with some Wish support so it can switch in multiple times.

When will Melotta be legal in the Wi-Fi tiers? And will it automatically go to OU or be offered a trial period in a different tier?
Meloetta is going to be released officially on July 14. It may have actually already been released at some prescreenings of the movie it's tied to, but I believe Smogon is playing it safe and holding off on allowing it until then. When it is allowed in the standard metagame, it will start in OU. This isn't because of any feelings of what tier it belongs in, but because everything newly released automatically starts in OU and only falls lower if it doesn't get enough usage to maintain its placement there.

I think I'm going to add Landorus and Jellicent to my team definitely. Ferrathorn is a definite possibility that I was thinking of as another stall. I'm also toying with Reuniclus on the team as a bulky special attacker. Probably would run a CalmMind set.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've used both CM and Specs Keldeo, and if you need one to stay alive and plow through teams, then Specs is a bit more reliable. Although CM Keldeo can be stronger, the key word is CAN. You need at least 2 turns to boost up enough to be stronger than Specs, and by then, a counter or something faster is already in. Specs Keldeo loves nothing more than to spam its Hydro Pump/Surf in the rain, so something like Ferrothorn, Breloom, or Latias can be useful for taking out the main Pokemon with Water Absorb and Dry Skin (Ferro and Loom for Jellicent, Gastrodon, and Vaporeon while Latias easily handles Toxicroak with Psyshock) Note that both Ferrothorn and Latias share good type synergy with Keldeo.

I'm slightly confused with the Dream World abilities and what not, and BW2. I used to only play 4th Gen, and moved to 5th gen about a month ago.

I'm just overly confused on what DW abilites are allowed etc. I can use Multiscale on my Dragonite, yet can't use Volcarona's Bug Swarm DW ability in Wi-Fi OU. Also, how do some of the BW releases effect the tiers ? Can you use the new moves & pokes, and they have just updated the tiers ?

Thankyou !

I'm slightly confused with the Dream World abilities and what not, and BW2. I used to only play 4th Gen, and moved to 5th gen about a month ago.

I'm just overly confused on what DW abilites are allowed etc. I can use Multiscale on my Dragonite, yet can't use Volcarona's Bug Swarm DW ability in Wi-Fi OU. Also, how do some of the BW releases effect the tiers ? Can you use the new moves & pokes, and they have just updated the tiers ?

Thankyou !
Pokèmon with Dream World abilities happen to be available via Dream World or via event. Some of these pokes are not present in Dream World yet (for example Volcarona), while others can be caught (Dratini needs 10,000 points before you can try to find it in the Island of Dreams). In other cases (i.e. Infernape), some pokes got released, but only in male form. It's to be noted that only female pokes with DW abilities can pass it (with 30% chance) to eggs.
For this reason, some DW abilties are "fully released", some others are still banned while others have some constrictrions and can't learn Egg moves or pre-evo moves.
With BW2, a new area in DW got opened and many new pokes could be used with the dream world ability. These releases can worth nothing (like Light Metal Metang) or be game-breaking (Technician Breloom or Multiscale Dragonite).
Hope you understood.

I've used both CM and Specs Keldeo, and if you need one to stay alive and plow through teams, then Specs is a bit more reliable. Although CM Keldeo can be stronger, the key word is CAN. You need at least 2 turns to boost up enough to be stronger than Specs, and by then, a counter or something faster is already in. Specs Keldeo loves nothing more than to spam its Hydro Pump/Surf in the rain, so something like Ferrothorn, Breloom, or Latias can be useful for taking out the main Pokemon with Water Absorb and Dry Skin (Ferro and Loom for Jellicent, Gastrodon, and Vaporeon while Latias easily handles Toxicroak with Psyshock) Note that both Ferrothorn and Latias share good type synergy with Keldeo.
Okay. I think im leaning on specs now. And one final question: in terms of keldeo going one on one, which hidden power do you think would allow it to be walled les and more or less hit most pokemon? Electric or ghost or something else?

haunter

Banned deucer.
Depdends mostly on the rest of your team. Electric is a good choice to hit Jellicent and Gyarados hard, ice is also good for dragons and neutral coverage in general.

Okay. I think im leaning on specs now. And one final question: in terms of keldeo going one on one, which hidden power do you think would allow it to be walled les and more or less hit most pokemon? Electric or ghost or something else?
Don't forget that, on a specs set, you can use Icy Winds. It's not so strong, but it can be used to slow down non-scarfed lati@s and go for the 2HKO or make them switch and rack up entry hazard damage.

Depdends mostly on the rest of your team. Electric is a good choice to hit Jellicent and Gyarados hard, ice is also good for dragons and neutral coverage in general.
I mix and match my team a lot so it never quite stays the same... So this is where my difficulty of picking the correct hidden power comes from :P so if i dont have icy winds, i should get ice, right? And if i do, which one would give me best coverage? Actually, which one really gives keldeo good coverage one on one?

I mix and match my team a lot so it never quite stays the same... So this is where my difficulty of picking the correct hidden power comes from :P so if i dont have icy winds, i should get ice, right? And if i do, which one would give me best coverage? Actually, which one really gives keldeo good coverage one on one?
What does "one on one" mean? Different Hidden Powers will give him better coverage against different things. You want to hit Gastrodon? Use Grass. Gyarados? Use Electric. There isn't any one Hidden Power that lets Keldeo beat everything one on one; he'll have trouble with something no matter what. It will help if you settle on five permanent teammates instead of switching around.

Back when I was a beginner to competitive pokemon, this article helped me understand a bit better and gave me enough background to understand the more complicated articles on IVs.

http://www.serebii.net/games/ivs.shtml

As for breeding for perfect IV's, it is a very long process.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_breeding

That article gives you all the basics and the site contains a lot of useful info about game mechanics to help you out.
Hello and welcome to smogon! You have quite a few questions, so I'll try to answer them best as possible. But first things first, it's kind of late to be playing Platinum- we're already three games and one generation ahead. Try getting some newer game, such as BW or BW2 when it comes out.
1.EV train as soon as possible, but it's easiest once you've beaten the game and have access to all wild pokemon available.
Questions 2,3,4, and 5 are all similar, and deal with the mechanics of IV's and EV's. I'll summarize what they are here. All pokemon have base stats- they are the set in concrete, you can not change number- the game developers decide each species base stat. What YOU can manipulate, however, are the added points towards stats- the EV's and IV's.
EV's are effort values. Think of these as bonuses towards certain stats that your pokemon earns depending on the pokemon they battle. These are more manipulateable- if you mess up, you can erase them, and you can get them quickly through vitamins (calcium, etc.)
IV's are individual values. As the name suggests, IV's are stat bonuses that each individual pokemon earn. These vary for every pokemon. These are also set in stone once a pokemon hatches from it's egg. These you have no power over once your egg is taken from the daycare man.
I really can't explain how to manipulate IV's here without taking too much space, but the general idea is to breed two pokemon with high IV's in order to get another with equally high IV's. I understand your confusion because it is quite confusing.
in order to view your IV's, you have to use an IV calculator- the one I use is on serebii, but you can just google search it. There is no other way to view your IV's.
as for EV's, there is also no other way besides cold cut tallying the pokemon you defeat and keeping track as your poke gains levels. If you talk so certain NPCs in the game, they will notify you if your pokemon maxes out in EV's.
6. Common lvls are 50 and 100. Good luck XD
7. It depends on what tier you play but because this is the OU subforum the obvious answer is chimchar because of it's high speed and offensive stats, and great movepool.

I hope I helped! Once again, welcome to the site!
HI again! (my computer finally got repaired)
Thank you for ur answers, they helped me A LOT!!
And yes i think i should begin with Pokemon BW ^_^

But i got some more questions :)

1. Those IV calculators said that the higher lvl the better IV check ill get, but when i breed and hatch a new pokemon, i will be at lvl 1, is it still good to check IV using IV calculators?

2. And i read somewhere that people "soft resets" to get desired IVs, what do they mean by that?

3. If i have a pokemon that evolves by trading, is it possible to do that somewhere here, i.e. can i trust those people to give my pokemon back??

4. Which of the starters in Pokemon BW is the most usefull? Or are they usefull for battles later on? And why?

Thank you in advance! And sry for asking so many questions, i really am a noob :P

1. when you usually breed a poke, you save, use 15-20 rare candies, see the stats, calculate the IVs and reset without saving.
2. soft reset is pressing start+select+L+R after you capture a legendary if you don't get the stats you want. It practically restarts the game, but it's faster than switch off/switch on
3. Don't know. None you know plays pokemon?
4. Just play the one you like most. They're all bad in competitive play and struggle with the first gym. Maybe Tepig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)