Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 22 (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's up with all the "what ball should I catch [ ] with?" questions? Why does it matter? Don't tell me it's to make the colors match.

Well not just the color of the ball but the opening of it. You know that little burst right before the pokemon comes out? Well if that looks cool enough, it can impact a decision on which ball to choose.

I'm using synirc.net/irc to chat on #stark. Unfortunately, it's taking about 30 secs for my messages to get through and I believe it is also taking a long time for others' messages to be displayed. Anyone know why I'm lagging? (I know it can't be my connection speed)

Well not just the color of the ball but the opening of it. You know that little burst right before the pokemon comes out? Well if that looks cool enough, it can impact a decision on which ball to choose.
Yes I do, but it sounds rather silly to me :P

Not that I wouldn't love a shiny magnemite born in the fuego ironworks... oh now I get it!

Ingame question here: according to Serebii the two Snorlaxes in Heart Gold and Soul Silver will reappear if defeated once you have beaten the elite four again. Can this be done multiple times? If so then you can steal the leftovers they may be holding with theif, defeat them, and then come back later and do it again! That would be great (although I already have 6 leftovers in platinum so I could just trade them.)

Also, here's something else I've also wondered about: I have a Ditto with a Choice item (let's say it's holding a Choice Scarf). I outspeed the opponents Pokemon and use Transform on their... errr, Infernape, I guess, while it uses Stealth Rock. Now, once my Ditto transforms into said Infernape, do I get to choose any move or just the move where Transform was (the only spot it's in; the upper left corner)?

~ Aether Nexus
I think you're screwed, because the effect of the Choice Scarf is to lock you in to Transform. Meaning the Transformed Ditto has to use Struggle (unless it Transformed into something that itself knows Transform, in which case it has to use Transform again).

I've looked on Serebii, and my usual move-checking sites to no avail, and now I must ask:

how does Golduck learn Magic Coat?

Arin said:
I'm using synirc.net/irc to chat on #stark. Unfortunately, it's taking about 30 secs for my messages to get through and I believe it is also taking a long time for others' messages to be displayed. Anyone know why I'm lagging? (I know it can't be my connection speed)
I tested it myself and it worked fine. I'm not sure if high traffic will slow down their client though (#stark's pretty dead atm) but the best I can suggest is that you try another client (for a browser based one you can try mibbit.com)

ZagZag said:
Ingame question here: according to Serebii the two Snorlaxes in Heart Gold and Soul Silver will reappear if defeated once you have beaten the elite four again.
I can't say from experience but I doubt this is abusable. They likely just implimented the same mechanic that allows Legendary pokemon to reappear if defeated. EDIT: Just reread what you were saying, it sounds more plausible now. Sorry!

Myrmidon said:
I've looked on Serebii, and my usual move-checking sites to no avail, and now I must ask:

how does Golduck learn Magic Coat?
HG/SS move tutor. It helps to check Bulbapedia if Serebii let's you down.

Just how long does it take to get a RNG abused perfect pokemon? For example, if I want to catch a hex 30+ flawless shiny wild budew, considering I know nothing about RNG and will have to follow the guide from the start, how long should it take? What is the part that takes the longest? getting the initial seed? synchronizing the clocks? soft resetting? something else entirely?

Thanks!

Understanding the whole business in the first place was what took me longest. After that, hitting your delay - it can easily take dozens of attempts. Then journal flipping is not so lengthy, but sure is tedious.

However, you're almost certainly not going to be able to get a near flawless shiny. Only a very few IV spreads will be shiny; which ones depend on your trainer ID and secret ID. (so you need to know your secret ID, which you can do if you already have a random or a few chained shinies). Unless you manipulated your secret ID when you started the game, your shiny spreads will probably have mediocre IVs.

Overall, it'll probably take a few hours to get your first RNGed Poke, then after that maybe half to one hour each depending on how good you are at hitting your delay.

Understanding the whole business in the first place was what took me longest. After that, hitting your delay - it can easily take dozens of attempts. Then journal flipping is not so lengthy, but sure is tedious.

However, you're almost certainly not going to be able to get a near flawless shiny. Only a very few IV spreads will be shiny; which ones depend on your trainer ID and secret ID. (so you need to know your secret ID, which you can do if you already have a random or a few chained shinies). Unless you manipulated your secret ID when you started the game, your shiny spreads will probably have mediocre IVs.

Overall, it'll probably take a few hours to get your first RNGed Poke, then after that maybe half to one hour each depending on how good you are at hitting your delay.
Hmm, interesting... I already have my SID, so I can do that. I've used it to breed a few shinies so far, including a pretty modest - but cool - shiny 23/17/20/31/9/31 naughty bagon.

But if I'm not going to get a near flawless shiny, then how the hell are all those people posting all sorts of awesome breeds/catches in the ''discuss my pokemon'' thread?

I'm having trouble understanding the whole process too, maybe you can tell me a few things about it in an "easier" language? basically I'm lost at the whole calibration part.

Thanks a ton for your answer btw!

@ Starwizard Breeding is the way to go, as the egg's ivs and shininess are determined independently so you can get one how you want it witout messing up the other. I can get a flawless shiny with full 31s fairly quickly if I have the right parents to breed from. That's what takes the time.

Well, I want to use an EV boosting item, but I'm worried about the Reduces speed part, does it really reduce the overall speed?

Well, I want to use an EV boosting item, but I'm worried about the Reduces speed part, does it really reduce the overall speed?
It only reduces speed when you hold the item- dont worry, your actual speed stat will be fine when you take it off.

It's like a Lagging Tail or Iron Ball.

EDIT: Source- http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Power_Bracer#Power_Bracer

My turn for a question, then:

I want to EV a Dusknoir, but I'm having trouble getting the IVs right while breeding. Is it more important to have max Defenses or Max HP? Like if I get 30/31/31 for my defesnive IVs, should I keep going for the perfect HP or is that okay to leave it?

I have recently decided to train the Dialga that I caught in Diamond years ago, despite its IV shortcomings. I want to turn it into a Choice Specs variant, but I have an EV dilemma I'd like someone to help me with. Here are its IVs:

Modest
HP: 22
Atk: 13
Def: 23
Sp.A: 29
Sp.D: 20
Spd: 29

I'm definitely putting 40 EVs into Spd to get the magic 224 at lv100. I was going to automatically put 252 Sp.Atk EVs but Dialga's page here suggests an HP EV spread that yields 397 HP at level 100. If I put in 252 Sp.Atk EVs, my Dialga's HP would end up at 386 at the maximum. However, if I put in 252 HP EVs, its Sp.Atk would only be able to reach 426.

My question is, should I invest 252 HP EVs instead of 252 Sp.Atk EVs for this particular Dialga? Here are the two choices I have for level 100 stats depending on the EV allocation:

HP: 386
Sp.A: 436

HP: 395
Sp.A: 426

Which of these two is more effective for a Specs Dialga?

I have recently decided to train the Dialga that I caught in Diamond years ago, despite its IV shortcomings. I want to turn it into a Choice Specs variant, but I have an EV dilemma I'd like someone to help me with. Here are its IVs:

Modest
HP: 22
Atk: 13
Def: 23
Sp.A: 29
Sp.D: 20
Spd: 29

I'm definitely putting 40 EVs into Spd to get the magic 224 at lv100. I was going to automatically put 252 Sp.Atk EVs but Dialga's page here suggests an HP EV spread that yields 397 HP at level 100. If I put in 252 Sp.Atk EVs, my Dialga's HP would end up at 386 at the maximum. However, if I put in 252 HP EVs, its Sp.Atk would only be able to reach 426.

My question is, should I invest 252 HP EVs instead of 252 Sp.Atk EVs for this particular Dialga? Here are the two choices I have for level 100 stats depending on the EV allocation:

HP: 386
Sp.A: 436

HP: 395
Sp.A: 426

Which of these two is more effective for a Specs Dialga?
The higher special attack one. You want all the power you can get, and according to the analysis, the HP EV investment is just a generic amount that is equal to 510 EVs minus 252SpA minus the speed.
The EV spread allows Dialga to outspeed Adamant Tyranitar while having a good amount of HP to take powerful hits.
Now my question: around when will suspect stage 3-3 votes come out?

I saved in front of the old man, he's holding a M Naive Shiny Chimchar I RGN'd and now I'm SRing for IVs.

If, before I take the egg after I SR, I leave to do other stuff, like trade/battle, will he still be holding the same pokémon if I save again in front of him after I do the other stuff, so I can keep SRing for the IVs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)