Pokémon Azumarill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know the max amount of HP EVs you can give a 31 HP IV Azumarill that would land it in orange after a belly drum at both lvl 50 and lvl 100? I remember it in this topic but I can't find it.

I don't think it's possible to get him into the orange. He'll be at 1/2 HP + 1 with an odd amount of HP and exactly 1/2 HP with even. Even HP will get Sitrus Berry to activate at exactly half HP (Belly Drum off full), though, which is probably what you're looking for.

Someone wiped the floor with me using a Skill Swap Smeargle to acquire my Espeon's Magic Coat (I incorrectly assumed that seeing my Espeon he wouldn't lead with his Smeargle, so when he did he got me with Skill Swap in the switch), then using Sticky Web (which with a Sash he was guaranteed to get in at that point) then a few turns down the line Belly Drumming with his Azumarill (not before getting it behind a Light Screen with his own Espeon) and giving me a sound beating. His Aqua Jet now outspeeded all my Prankster priority users because of the web, and my Def+ Sableye was one of the ones to get OHKOd by Aqua Jet as Meteor indicated above that they could. My Rotom-W could do crap all about it with the Light Screen. A really clever strategy.

I'm really enjoying this Azu:

Azu @ Mystic Water/Lefties
-Aqua Jet
-Play Rough
-Knock Off
-Power-up Punch

PuP is ridiculously easy to set up, and then you have the oomph of CB Azu with the ability to change moves. Knock Off is insanely annoying and kills any Ghosts that figure out what you're doing and try to block PuP.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough

Ive been using this Azumarill to outspeed defensive Rotom-W and knock it out with play rough after a belly drum. It seems pretty unexpected and has allowed me to make some ridiculous sweeps out of nowhere. Still tossing up weather its worth the drop in bulk, the power drop from jolly isn't an issue really cause its a late game Sweeper on damaged teams or an emergency priority user for my team.

Ive been using Jolly azumarill too and it is a lot better than adamant imo. At +6, it's attack is stupidly high already and the extra power doesn't actually do anything once boosted.

I also haven't had a problem with using jolly cb either. It still 2hkos defensive rotom switch ins with play rough and actually outspeed and kill it.

On a side note, is it worth dropping the defence ev to 30? that way If genesect comes in on you he gets an attack boost instead and if scarfed cant OHKO Azumarill with thuderbolt

How about protect on it for doubles along with play rough, aqua jet and waterfall. With ev spread to 252 HP, 252 Atk, and 4 Spc def. with either a sitrus berry or leftovers. Would that be a good choice?

Last edited:
On a side note, is it worth dropping the defence ev to 30? that way If genesect comes in on you he gets an attack boost instead and if scarfed cant OHKO Azumarill with thuderbolt
Or you can switch out to your Genesect counter when Genesect comes in. It can't even come in anyways thanks to Azumarill's Waterfall.

Why most people that I know consider Azumarill a counter to Diggersby? .. It's not.. It can't take a hit in the switch-in to be considered as a counter. (It doesn't even outspeed)

So will Azumarill stay UU even after this gen's buff or go to OU? (Fairy, Play Rough, BellyJet etc.)

Why most people that I know consider Azumarill a counter to Diggersby? .. It's not.. It can't take a hit in the switch-in to be considered as a counter. (It doesn't even outspeed)

So will Azumarill stay UU even after this gen's buff or go to OU? (Fairy, Play Rough, BellyJet etc.)
The Fairy-type is alone enough to make it OU really. It is bulkier than a lot of OU and has a good defensive typing. Excadrill also returned, giving it some new prey.

Fun fact: Azumarill is bulkier than Trevenant.

There's no way Azu won't be OU. It has fantastic defensive typing and bulk, almost unresisted STAB, priority, multiple boosting options, a variety of sets it can run (CB catches many things off guard that assume it will try to BD on a switch)...all the makings of a bulky OU threat.

So I've been testing with 244 EVs in HP and 252 in attack, so that it has over 400 hp and still an even number for belly drum.

But then I get 12 leftover EVs with nothing to invest them on. Giving them to speed seems worthless, the only thing I'd outspeed are other azumarills... should I still invest them?

It does beat uninvested sableye tho with aqua jet.

Heliolisk is a great counter, that can switch into a predicted waterfall or aqua jet, as azumarill will usually run choice band. Then it can retaliate with parabolic charge or thunderbolt, predict the opponents switch in and choose a move accordingly, or simpy volt switch out to maintain momentum.

Heliolisk is a great counter, that can switch into a predicted waterfall or aqua jet, as azumarill will usually run choice band. Then it can retaliate with parabolic charge or thunderbolt, predict the opponents switch in and choose a move accordingly, or simpy volt switch out to maintain momentum.
It's not a counter because Play Rough and Superpower both OHKO so it can't switch in. It's not even a check unless it has a boosting item because it can't even OHKO with Thunderbolt without Life Orb. If you want something to come in after something dies to take advantage of choice locked water attacks you need look no further than Ferrothorn, Rotom-W or Dragons there's no need for something as bad as Heliolisk.

im still wondering what a more viable set is. yes CB or BD but i do like power-up punch set as well..

passing a sub to a BD azumarill is appetizing but focusing lets say celebi to sub means u most likely give up overall defense IMO to a particular style or system of sweeping with Azu. i guess it depends on what requirements the team has.

not entirely sure what i would do.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough

Ive been using this Azumarill to outspeed defensive Rotom-W and knock it out with play rough after a belly drum. It seems pretty unexpected and has allowed me to make some ridiculous sweeps out of nowhere. Still tossing up weather its worth the drop in bulk, the power drop from jolly isn't an issue really cause its a late game Sweeper on damaged teams or an emergency priority user for my team.
Do you really think Jolly is worth it? I haven't run any calcs but does the Jolly nature let it outspeed anything relevant besides Rotom-W?
I ask this since most Rotoms I run into are max-speed w/ Choice Scarf and I just end up spamming Aqua Jet all the time.

im still wondering what a more viable set is. yes CB or BD but i do like power-up punch set as well..

passing a sub to a BD azumarill is appetizing but focusing lets say celebi to sub means u most likely give up overall defense IMO to a particular style or system of sweeping with Azu. i guess it depends on what requirements the team has.

not entirely sure what i would do.
I'd say they both play completely different roles. BD means you only get 1 chance to sweep and because of this you can't really slap it on to any team. You need a dedicated team built around removing checks and counters. CB Azumaril is really more flexible and tends to be used as a revenge killer.

Do you really think Jolly is worth it? I haven't run any calcs but does the Jolly nature let it outspeed anything relevant besides Rotom-W?
I ask this since most Rotoms I run into are max-speed w/ Choice Scarf and I just end up spamming Aqua Jet all the time.
Most Rotom-W are physically defensive nowadays. Azumarill shouldn't be trying to sweep with Rotom-W still alive in the first place though.

Assuming an Adamant Mystic Water Azumaril just got a Belly Drum off (so +6 Atk) how much residual damage would Rotom-W have to have taken to be KO's by Aqua Jet?

So, essentially, how much do I have to weaken a physically-defensive Rotom-W before Azumaril sets up?

Toxicroak completely counters Azumarill, not only does it absorb Aqua Jet/Waterfall, but it also outspeeds Azumarill and in return OHKO's with Poison Jab. A lot of good Belly Drum does when your priority just gets absorbed, and then you fail to outspeed and get OHKO'd.

Toxicroak completely counters Azumarill, not only does it absorb Aqua Jet/Waterfall, but it also outspeeds Azumarill and in return OHKO's with Poison Jab. A lot of good Belly Drum does when your priority just gets absorbed, and then you fail to outspeed and get OHKO'd.
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Toxicroak: 381-448 (102.9 - 121%) -- guaranteed OHKO

It counters the Belly Drum set, but you switch in on the wrong move and CB Azumarill murders you

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Toxicroak: 381-448 (102.9 - 121%) -- guaranteed OHKO

It counters the Belly Drum set, but you switch in on the wrong move and CB Azumarill murders you
That's very true, but you can definitely play around this knowing that Azumarill can only ko certain pokes with Aqua Jet priority/Waterfall if Play Rough is resisted. Obviously people aren't going to want to overpredict a fire type on the off-chance of getting burned by Will O Wisp.

So 252 ATK on a BellyJet Azumarill is obvious, but is there anything resembling a consensus on where the other EVs should go? What are some key numbers to hit?

Also: Leftovers or Sitrus Berry?

So 252 ATK on a BellyJet Azumarill is obvious, but is there anything resembling a consensus on where the other EVs should go? What are some key numbers to hit?

Also: Leftovers or Sitrus Berry?
I use 88 EVs to outspeed Scizor Bullet Punch and OHKO back with Aqua Jet after Belly Drum, the rest to HP, but that's just me. Some people use 128? Speed EVs in order to outspeed Jellicent and OHKO with Play Rough.

Belly Drum is a very high risk- very high reward strategy. IMHO, Sitrus Berry allows for more risky plays. You get under 50% health a lot of time from neutral attacks, so you don't want your Belly Drum to get wasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)