Other Metagames [Balanced Hackmons] Yeti God & Co.

Though I am relatively new to in-game competitive I have been on Pokémon Showdown for quite a while and though I like playing regular and double OUs, I've especially taken a liking to the Balanced Hackmons format.

I was going into this team thinking about what was added in SM that could improve on some strategies I enjoy, and surprisingly this team uses very little new things. But I have found it very fun and reliable nonetheless.

[analysis=abomasnow]Abomasnow-Mega[/analysis]
Held Item: [item=icicle_plate]Icicle Plate[/item]
Ability: [ability=snow_cloak]Snow Cloak[/ability]
248 HP/252 SpA/8 SpD Modest
- Judgment
- Energy Ball
- Surf
- Recover

The monarch of the snow, the destroyer of villages, the Yeti God themselves. Pretty much the main member of the team, comboing it with Arceus' set it becomes nigh immortal. I pretty much got the idea of this from seeing someone run a spooky plate judgment mega-gengar which worked pretty well. But I thought teaming this up with Aurora Veil would just destroy and I was right. Originally I was running Thick Fat but i'm testing out Snow Cloak for the dodge chance rather than tanking those fire-types. Could get rid of Shadow Ball and Recover for Hail and Aurora Veil but I think that'd take away from the power.

You could possibly run an alternative of this build using the Meadow Plate and swapping Energy Ball for Blizzard. But I think Ice-Judgment is probably more powerful?

[analysis=arceus]Arceus[/analysis]
[item=icy_rock]Icy Rock[/item]
Ability: [ability=snow_warning]Snow Warning[/ability]
248 HP/8 SpA/252 Spe Timid
- Aurora Veil
- Parting Shot
- Blizzard
- Lunar Dance

The llama god has decided to become the support to the yeti god rather than wreak havoc on unsuspecting humans. This creatures purpose is to go in, get that hail up for 8 turns, Aurora Veil, then Parting Shot. And this has generally worked out for me. If Arceus gets hit it normally doesn't take more than half health which means it has a chance to set up again when everything runs out. Also has Blizzard just in case it needs to attack. And running Lunar Dance so on that second setup or even third switch in it can fully heal any team member.

[analysis=groudon]Groudon-Primal[/analysis]
Held Item: [item=assault_vest]Assault Vest[/item]
Ability: [ability=no_guard]No Guard[/ability]
248 HP/252 SpA/8 SpD Quiet
- Inferno
- Dynamic Punch
- Zap Cannon
- Hurricane

Another Pokémon based on something I saw someone else use. They ran Mega-Lucario with pretty much this exact set. Maybe minus Assault Vest. But that wasn't enough for me. I wanted something to switch into when things got too rough for Abomasnow. Plus having a 100% burn, paralysis and confusion chance + damage on one Pokémon is pretty neat.

[analysis=eevee]Eevee[/analysis]
Held Item: [item=eevium_z]Eevium Z[/item]
Ability: [ability=sturdy]Sturdy[/ability]
248 HP/8 Def/252 Spe Jolly
- Last Resort
- Baton Pass
- Extreme Speed
- Spore

A less serious addition to the team. Eevee never got a spotlight itself before the addition of Eevium Z and i'm still trying to figure out the combos that can go with it. Extreme Evoboost is ridiculously powerful and throwing those 1-turn stats onto another Pokémon is nothing to laugh at, unless it's maniacal. The problem in-game is Eevee can't hold a focus sash AND use Evoboost. So we fixed it with sturdy.

[analysis=venusaur]Venusaur-Mega[/analysis]
Held Item: [item=big_root]Big Root[/item]
Ability: [ability=shadow_shield]Shadow Shield[/ability]
252 HP/252 Def/4 SpA Bold
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Wave
- Recover

This was more of a test. One of my favourite OU 'mons right now is Comfey, running Triage, Calm Mind and Draining Kiss with a Big Root. I wanted to see if I could apply the same logic to a more tanky yet still powerful Pokémon. It's probably the least reliable member of the team and should be switched for another hailmon but pretty fun none-the-less.

[analysis=chansey]Chansey[/analysis]
Held Item: [item=eviolite]Eviolite[/item]
Ability: [ability=prankster]Prankster[/ability]
248 HP/252 Def/8 SpD Bold
- Imprison
- Spider Web
- Transform
- Seismic Toss

I hate to be that gal but it was either this or Sturdinja okay? I just couldn't think of any other backup member of the team. This Pokémon speaks for itself. I'm sorry.

Abomasnow-Mega (F) @ Icicle Plate
Ability: Snow Cloak
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Judgment
- Energy Ball
- Surf
- Recover

Arceus-Ice @ Icy Rock
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Parting Shot
- Blizzard
- Lunar Dance

Eevee (F) @ Eevium Z
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Last Resort
- Baton Pass
- Extreme Speed
- Spore

Venusaur-Mega (F) @ Big Root
Ability: Shadow Shield
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Wave
- Recover

Groudon-Primal @ Assault Vest
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Inferno
- Dynamic Punch
- Zap Cannon
- Hurricane

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Imprison
- Spider Web
- Transform
- Seismic Toss

Interesting team... But I'd suggest first battling a bit on the BH ladder before I do anything. Some of these sets really aren't competitive at all and you lack switch ins to most of the meta. Take a look at some of the teams on the replay.pokemonshowdown.com for some of the higher up players, ie; Motherhate, Harrison, sugarhigh, etc. And see how they put their teams together.

I'll edit this later with a more indepth rate if you'd like?

hey heres a tip... you dont need the eevium z to use the move or last resort, you can just have evoboost as a move so this allows you to use a different ability and item

Just be careful of scarf Groudon-Primal, that overrides hail with desolate land and scarf v-create eats through the team bar your groudon-primal (which has no ground moves to hurt it). Because if someone gets rocks up (prankster stealth rock/deo-s), then scarf v-create eats through venusaur, eevee, abomasnow-mega, iceceus, and chansey and thousand arrows eats through groudon-primal. You might want to have a hazard remover (defog on chansey instead of spider web) to preserve shadow shield on Mega Venusaur and Sturdy on Eevee.

It seems bizarre having two abilities that rely on being at full health on non-ice, non-goggles Pokémon on a hail team.
It might be worth giving primal Groudon precipice blades as a hard hitting stab move maybe to replace hurricane since it doesn't have an 100% added effect, quiver dance is better than calm mind (usually), steam eruption pretty much outclasses surf in every way.
I would consider using prankster venusaur instead since it has a number of uses including spore spamming and destiny bond as a last resort.

If you really want abomasnow-mega, meadow plate might be better because judgment ice = 120 bp, blizzard = 110 bp, judgment meadow = 120 bp, energy ball = 90 bp. But I'd prefer kyurem-white (but this is yeti god, so I'll replace eevee with kyurem-White).
Kyurem-White @ Icicle Plate
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Judgment
- Recover
- Clanging Scales
- Blue Flare
Slush rush is used to outspeed a whole host of threats. Replace eevee with this, sturdy gets broken by hail.
Setup sweepers can be a problem (so are hazards) Here's an idea.
Solgaleo @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Recover
- Spectral Thief
- Defog
- Sunsteel Strike
This is used to check most setup sweepers with unaware. It also resists refrigerate, aerilate and pixilate. Replace venusaur-mega with this.
I also noted that during testing, arceus-ice was damaged by its own hail. Is that a glitch?

Last edited:
If you really want abomasnow-mega, meadow plate might be better because judgment ice = 120 bp, blizzard = 110 bp, judgment meadow = 120 bp, energy ball = 90 bp. But I'd prefer kyurem-white (but this is yeti god, so I'll replace eevee with kyurem-White).
Kyurem-White @ Icicle Plate
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Judgment
- Recover
- Clanging Scales
- Blue Flare
Slush rush is used to outspeed a whole host of threats. Replace eevee with this, sturdy gets broken by hail.
Setup sweepers can be a problem (so are hazards) Here's an idea.
Solgaleo @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Recover
- Spectral Thief
- Defog
- Sunsteel Strike
This is used to check most setup sweepers with unaware. It also resists refrigerate, aerilate and pixilate. Replace venusaur-mega with this.
I also noted that during testing, arceus-ice was damaged by its own hail. Is that a glitch?
No it's not a glitch. If arceus has an ability other than multitype (snow warning in this instance) then it is just normal type arceus but with whatever sprite you choose. And normal arceus takes hail damage as per usual.
Although hats off to you for actually testing these teams

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)