NU Barbaracle

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Barbaracle
QC: 3/3 (Punchshroom, Dat Blast, Raseri)
GP: 2/2 (tehy + P Squared, Winry.)

Overview
########

While Barbaracle might not be the first choice for your NU team, it has a viable niche as an anti-lead. It possesses the coveted combination of Taunt and Stealth Rock, allowing it to shut down slower opposing leads such as Crustle and bulky Uxie while being guaranteed to set up an entry hazard. Moreover, Barbaracle possesses the coverage needed to deal with many dedicated leads, such as Stone Edge for Typhlosion and Grass Knot for Seismitoad. Barbaracle's niche over Archeops is its neutrality to Water- and Rock-type moves, allowing it to deal with Defoggers with Scald and Rock Blast users better than Archeops can. Alternatively, Barbaracle can act as a sweeper because of its access to Shell Smash. It has great offensive synergy in its Rock- and Water-type STAB moves and possesses great coverage to beat Pokemon that resist its STAB combination, such as Ferroseed. Barbaracle even has Tough Claws to make its contact moves hit harder. However, Barbaracle's low Speed means it matches up poorly against faster leads such as Archeops, and it will do little for the team if affected by Taunt. Its poor Speed does it no favors as a sweeper, either, as it will be guaranteed to take a hit or be Taunted before setting up. Barbaracle also faces competition as a Shell Smash user from Gorebyss, which can Baton Pass its offensive boosts to a teammate to aid their sweep. Nonetheless, Barbaracle remains a decent choice for any team desiring early-game momentum or a solid late-game cleaner.

Dedicated Lead
########
name: Dedicated Lead
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Taunt
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Grass Knot / Endeavor
ability: Tough Claws
item: Focus Sash
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Naive / Jolly

Moves
========

Stealth Rock is a very useful entry hazard, and Barbaracle will have many chances to set it up against slower leads such as Uxie. Taunt shuts down slower entry hazard setters such as Crustle as well as Defog users such as Prinplup. Stone Edge hits lead Xatu as well as Flying-type Defog users such as Mantine for massive damage. Grass Knot hits Seismitoad for super effective damage, whereas Endeavor will bring down the foe to 1 HP if Barbaracle has used its Focus Sash. Alternatively, Razor Shell hits the Ground-type Rapid Spin users Claydol and Sandslash, which Archeops cannot do.

Set Details
========

Full investment in Speed and Attack maximizes Barbaracle's offensive potential. A positive Speed nature allows it to have an easier time setting up Stealth Rock. If running Grass Knot, a Naive nature is preferred in order to not lower Barbaracle's Special Attack; otherwise, a Jolly nature should be used. Focus Sash allows Barbaracle to survive a single powerful attack, guaranteeing it can set up Stealth Rock before it faints. Mental Herb is an alternative to protect Barbaracle from a faster Taunt once.

Usage Tips
========

This set should always be used as a lead, or at least in the early-game, in order to gain momentum. While Barbaracle matches up well against lead Archeops, prediction is very important, as Archeops can either Taunt Barbaracle to stop it from setting up Stealth Rock or attack Barbaracle to bring it to low health. Moreover, Barbaracle potentially forces out offensive leads such as Typhlosion, so take advantage of predicted switches to get Stealth Rock on the field. Taunt should always be the first move against slower entry hazard leads such as Crustle and Uxie.

Team Options
========

This set is best used on a hyper offense team that appreciates early-game Taunt support and Barbaracle's ability to break walls such as Seismitoad and Mega Audino with Grass Knot and Endeavor, respectively. Offensive Fire- and Ice-types such as Typhlosion and Sneasel, respectively, are good attacking partners that simultaneously threaten the Grass-types that will switch into Barbaracle and force it out, such as Leafeon. Spinblockers, such as Mismagius and Golurk, and faster Taunt users, such as Archeops, can prevent foes from removing Barbaracle's Stealth Rock with Rapid Spin and Defog, respectively.

Shell Smash
########
name: Shell Smash
move 1: Shell Smash
move 2: Razor Shell
move 4: Cross Chop / Grass Knot
item: Life Orb / Lum Berry / White Herb
nature: Jolly / Naive

Moves
========

Shell Smash is a great boosting move, raising Barbaracle's Attack and Speed to high levels. Razor Shell is Barbaracle's Water-type STAB attack, receiving a damage boost from Tough Claws and having a high 50% chance to lower the foe's Defense. Stone Edge is Barbaracle's secondary STAB attack, hitting targets that resist Razor Shell, and is Barbaracle's best bet against Water- and Grass-types. Cross Chop provides strong Fighting-type coverage and gets the Tough Claws boost, hitting bulky targets such as Ferroseed for super effective damage. Alternatively, a +2 Grass Knot will OHKO Seismitoad and deal serious damage to Unaware Quagsire.

Set Details
========

Life Orb is the preferred option to raise Barbaracle's damage output even further, though Lum Berry can be used to protect Barbaracle from crippling status effects, such as a Prankster Thunder Wave from Liepard. White Herb is also an option to remove the stat-lowering effects of Shell Smash. Maximum Speed investment allows Barbaracle to outspeed everything up to Choice Scarf Pyroar, and maximum Attack investment lets Barbaracle deal as much damage as possible. If running Grass Knot, Barbaracle needs a Naive nature, as Grass Knot does not always OHKO Seismitoad with a Jolly nature.

Usage Tips
========

This set has few choices for setup fodder. It must set up on Choice-locked Pokemon, such as Typhlosion locked into Fire Blast, or on defensive Pokemon should Barbaracle be running Lum Berry. Barbaracle's primary role is that of a late-game cleaner instead of an early-game wallbreaker, and you more or less get one shot to sweep with Barbaracle, so be sure to preserve it throughout the match and bring it out wisely.

Team Options
========

A Fire- or Ice-type such as Typhlosion or Cryogonal will beat the Grass-type attackers that give Barbaracle trouble. Special attackers deal with physical walls that Barbaracle cannot break; Pyroar and Ninetales double as special attackers which beat Grass-types. Entry hazard setters such as Archeops can wear down foes in order to ease Barbaracle's sweep. A bulky Grass-type can smash the bulky Water-types that Barbaracle struggles against. Vileplume is a great partner because it hits Grass-types super effectively with its Poison-type STAB moves and covers Barbaracle's Fighting weakness.

Other Options
########

Earthquake is an alternative to hit Garbodor and Lanturn a little harder, and the move has perfect accuracy and avoids contact. However, it does not get the Tough Claws boost, and Ground-type coverage is often redundant on the Shell Smash set. Poison Jab and X-Scissor hit Grass-types harder, have perfect accuracy, and get the Tough Claws boost, but Stone Edge typically deals with Grass-types well enough already. Moreover, many of NU's relevant bulky Grass-types such as Vileplume, Ferroseed, and Gourgeist are not weak to the moves. Barbaracle learns Switcheroo but is too slow to be a good user of it. Superpower is an alternative to Cross Chop if you hate missing, and it more reliably OHKOes Eviolite Ferroseed after a Shell Smash, though lowering Barbaracle's Attack is not ideal.

Checks & Counters
########

**Grass-types**: Should Barbaracle not be running Poison Jab or X-Scissor, bulky Grass-types such as Tangela wall it and hit it super effectively right back. Both Gourgeist-S and Gourgeist-XL are hit neutrally by Poison Jab and X-Scissor, so they wall Barbaracle regardless of whether it runs those moves or not. Fast, offensive Grass-types such as Lilligant and Leafeon can OHKO Barbaracle before it can use Shell Smash and bring lead Barbaracle down to its Focus Sash.

**Faster Taunt Users**: Faster Pokemon such as Archeops can Taunt Barbaracle, preventing it from setting up Stealth Rock or Shell Smash.

**Gurdurr**: Eviolite Gurdurr is a great physical tank that can take a +2 Razor Shell from Barbaracle and 2HKO it back with Drain Punch and Mach Punch.

**Bulky Water-types**: Bulky Water-types resist Barbaracle's Razor Shell and can often take a Stone Edge. Seismitoad, Quagsire, and Poliwrath wall non-Grass Knot variants, and they threaten Barbaracle back with their Ground- and Fighting-type STAB moves, respectively. While a +2 Grass Knot OHKOes Seismitoad, it does not do the same to Quagsire because of Unaware and Poliwrath because it has only a single weakness to the move.

**Status Problems**: If Barbaracle is not running Lum Berry, all forms of status prevent Barbaracle from sweeping effectively.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
The Overview needs a bit of polishing up:
- Mention that it not only outspeeds the entire unboosted tier, but even various Choice Scarfed Pokemon
- I'm not sure about mentioning its Defense stat since it is actually less physically bulky than Carracosta
- Mention that Rock and Water actually have great offensive synergy (I don't know how you came to the conclusion that it 'does not have the best')
- This is of utmost importance: touch upon Barbaracle's access to great coverage moves that allow it to hammer the Pokemon that would otherwise resist its STAB combo. This is its biggest advantage over other Shell Smashers, aside from the speed

For Moves:
- Razor Shell should be listed before Stone Edge, as it is Barbaracle's primary attack: it is just as strong as Stone Edge but more accurate, making it the main attack.
- Stone Edge's use should be explained in such a way that it is simply 'backup STAB'; it hits many targets that resist Water, namely Grass-types and opposing Water-types, for strong neutral damage. Would-be targets such as Scyther and Rotom-F would get swatted by +2 Razor Shell anyway.
- Cross Chop’s main use is for Ferroseed, so this should be heavily emphasized. Other targets such as Kangaskhan and Cacturne get taken out by boosted Barbaracle anyway, though feel free to name any threats to Barbaracle which +2 Cross Chop KOes that its STABs do not
- Not a mention of Grass Knot anywhere, even though it can OHKO Seismitoad after +2 even with Jolly (and without Life Orb!). Given Cross Chop is mainly for one target also, Grass Knot is a viable option to be slashed on the last moveslot. It is overall less universally useful than Cross Chop though, so it gets slashed after Cross Chop.

I don't really get why Barbaracle shouldn't just run max speed, since the higher speed compared to other Shell Smashers to outrun Scarfers is the biggest reason Barbaracle sees use over the other Smasers. The HP EVs shouldn't matter that much anyway, while max Spe allows Barbaracle to outrun Scarf Pyroar (base 106), which is a heck of a lot higher than the 95 benchmark you set for yourself.

Other Options:
- Mention that Earthquake also avoids contact, since you mentioned Garbodor and all. Might as well toss in a mention of Qwilfish and Lanturn also.
- X-Scissor can be talked about alongside Poison Jab, as both hit the same target in Grass-types. X-Scissor hits a wider variety of Grass-types such as Exeggutor and Torterra, while Poison Jab can poison the likes of Tangela, softening up for a KO in the future. Do mention that the main reason these moves have little room on the set is that Stone Edge tends to cover the Grass-types well enough for the most part.
- Barbaracle does have access to Switcheroo which is an interesting move. However, if said move is lackluster / mediocre on the Pokemon in question, then that should be pointed out as well. You can talk about Switcheroo, then go on to explain why something like Choice Barbaracle is not a great idea (low speed tier for a Scarf mon, and especially low for a Banded mon, too easily forced out, etc.)

Checks and Counters:
- Not all Grass-types can stand up to a boosted Barbaracle; you don't expect the likes of Lilligant to survive Barbaracle's +2 attack do you? You'll want to separate the Grass-types into different contexts. The bulkier Grass-types can halt Barbaracle's sweep, such as Tangela, Gourgeist-Super, Vileplume, etc., although some of them do risk getting KOed by Life Orb Barbaracle after Stealth Rock damage. On the other hand, faster Grass-types such as Lilligant, Leafeon, and Ludicolo can revenge kill a Barbaracle before it sets up.
- ^ The same applies to Water-types; name the ones that do the best job at stopping Barbaracle defensively, as well as offensively.
- While Taunt can indeed neuter Barbaracle as a threat, you'll need to apply this into different contexts. No Barbaracle is going to set up in front of Samurott or non-Choice locked Pyroar (Taunt Pyroar is rare btw) for fear of Grass moves. Taunt would be more relevant on Pokemon that Barbaracle would try to set up on, such as Qwilfish and Archeops.
- Mention that status, especially burn and paralysis, cripples non-Lum Berry Barbaracle, since not all of them can afford it and it is definitely a relevant enough problem that would prevent Barbaracle from performing consistently.
- I don't think any form of priority other than Mach Punch would be enough to take down Barbaracle, and even in the case of Gurdurr, Mach Punch isn't quite enough to scathe White Herb Barbaracle.
252 Atk Kangaskhan Sucker Punch vs. -1 4 HP / 0 Def Barbaracle: 94-111 (32.8 - 38.8%) -- 99.5% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Gurdurr Mach Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Barbaracle: 110-132 (38.4 - 46.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
I'd remove priority from the list if I were you.

Calling attention to Raseri Zebraiken Soulgazer Montsegur scorpdestroyer Dat Blast to the possibility of 'Lead / Anti-Lead Barbaracle'. It has the coveted combo of Stealth Rock + Taunt, and various coverage moves such as Stone Edge (hits Xatu), Razor Shell (hits most SR leads), Grass Knot (hits Seismitoad), and even Endeavor if it wants to go that route.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yah the lead set is pretty good right now and tbh I would use it over the shell smash set, just because I always seem to miss with the Shell Smash set and I would rather use something like Carracosta that actually has priority with Aqua Jet. But yah, lead set is definitely something that should be added.

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
Also cause this
+2 252 Atk Tough Claws Barbaracle Cross Chop vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 256-302 (87.6 - 103.4%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Tough Claws Barbaracle Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 306-362 (104.7 - 123.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
obviously, if you choose to run a Life Orb, this doesn't matter, but if you use say a lum berry then yeah this kinda matters but not too much cause
+2 252 Atk Tough Claws Barbaracle Cross Chop vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 256-302 (87.6 - 103.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes
but yeah thanks for putting it in OO. Also mention that it works well with white herb so you attack on a switch then shell smash if you KOd them or something idk

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'll give this a more thorough check another time, but you shouldn't mention that Water/Rock is a poor defensive typing. It actually isn't that bad because it enables you to discourage pokemon from spamming specs fire blasts / boombursts / flying stabs.

Also I think lead should be the main set because the shell smash one faces a ton of competition from costa which sets up a lot more easily, but QC can correct me on this

Empress

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'll give this a more thorough check another time, but you shouldn't mention that Water/Rock is a poor defensive typing. It actually isn't that bad because it enables you to discourage pokemon from spamming specs fire blasts / boombursts / flying stabs.

Also I think lead should be the main set because the shell smash one faces a ton of competition from costa which sets up a lot more easily, but QC can correct me on this
Thank you very much. I have removed the mention of it being a bad defensive type. I also agree that Lead is a better set than Shell Smash for that very same reason; I was contemplating on switching the set order, so I will.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
razor is meh on lead; i would rather have stone edge to beat xatu and then have endeavor or grass knot in the last slot, so remove it

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thank you very much. I have removed the mention of it being a bad defensive type. I also agree that Lead is a better set than Shell Smash for that very same reason; I was contemplating on switching the set order, so I will.
You didn't ?_? It's in the last point of the Overview

Lead
  • Put Naive first on the lead set to correspond with Grass Knot
  • List examples of Taunt users in TO
Shell Smash
  • I don't see the point of the third point in UT, as Punch pointed out in his post Barbaracle can deal with offensive Grass-types after it gets the boost so it doesn't need to wait for them to be eliminated. The fourth point is weird too, Barbaracle doesn't live long enough to make use of multiple drops from Razor Shell.
  • Again, list examples of "special attackers" and "hazard setters"
Other Options
- Superpower is an alternative to Cross Chop if you hate missing. It also works well alongside White Herb to remove its stat drops, and can OHKO Ferroseed more reliably than Cross Chop
  • No it doesn't, if you already set up a Smash White Herb will be gone, and if you haven't you need two Superpowers to kill Ferroseed anyway
Checks and Counters
  • Mention Gurdurr
  • On the point about Seismitoad and Poliwrath, specifically mention that bulky Water-types are good answers
  • "Physical walls" is pretty vague, and Mega Audino in particular is really not a very good answer to Barb. +2 Razor 3HKOes (2HKOes if LO), and Dazzling Gleam won't even 2HKO back at -1.

Empress

You didn't ?_? It's in the last point of the Overview

Lead
  • Put Naive first on the lead set to correspond with Grass Knot
  • List examples of Taunt users in TO
Shell Smash
  • I don't see the point of the third point in UT, as Punch pointed out in his post Barbaracle can deal with offensive Grass-types after it gets the boost so it doesn't need to wait for them to be eliminated. The fourth point is weird too, Barbaracle doesn't live long enough to make use of multiple drops from Razor Shell.
  • Again, list examples of "special attackers" and "hazard setters"
Other Options

• No it doesn't, if you already set up a Smash White Herb will be gone, and if you haven't you need two Superpowers to kill Ferroseed anyway
Checks and Counters
  • Mention Gurdurr
  • On the point about Seismitoad and Poliwrath, specifically mention that bulky Water-types are good answers
  • "Physical walls" is pretty vague, and Mega Audino in particular is really not a very good answer to Barb. +2 Razor 3HKOes (2HKOes if LO), and Dazzling Gleam won't even 2HKO back at -1.
All changes implemented.

Punchshroom

Mention that Barbaracle's Water neutrality gives it a better matchup against most Defoggers than Archeops, which can be OHKOed through its Sash via Scald + burn.

Cross Chop allows Barbaracle to hit Virizion, OHKOing after +2 even with Jolly.
+2 252 Atk Tough Claws Barbaracle Cross Chop vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Virizion: 327-385 (100.9 - 118.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Grass Knot lets Barbaracle hit Quagsire, although Quagsire isn't OHKOed after +2 like Seismitoad is due to Unaware. Also Quag in Counters section.

Empress

Mention that Barbaracle's Water neutrality gives it a better matchup against most Defoggers than Archeops, which can be OHKOed through its Sash via Scald + burn.

Cross Chop allows Barbaracle to hit Virizion, OHKOing after +2 even with Jolly.

Grass Knot lets Barbaracle hit Quagsire, although Quagsire isn't OHKOed after +2 like Seismitoad is due to Unaware. Also Quag in Counters section.
Done.

Punchshroom

Oh yeah mention the Rock neutrality (alongside the Water neutrality in Overview) to allow it to survive Rock Blast much easier than Archeops.

Poison Jab and X-Scissor hit Grass-types harder, have perfect accuracy and get the Tough Claws boost, but Stone Edge typically deals with Grass-types well enough already
Also mention that most of the tier's relevant bulky Grass-types, such as Vileplume, Ferroseed, and Gourgeist, are not weak to both moves.

Mention Gourgeist in 'Bulky Grass' section.

Mention Virizion in 'Fast Grass' section.

**Quagsire**: Due to Unaware, Quagsire fears nothing except Grass Knot from a +2 Barbaracle.
- Quag can probably be slotted into the bulky Waters section.
- Just saying that +2 doesn't need to be mentioned at all (Unaware remember).
- Mention that while Quag takes a lot of damage from Grass Knot, it can survive one (unlike Seismitoad after +2).
QC 1/3

Empress

Oh yeah mention the Rock neutrality (alongside the Water neutrality in Overview) to allow it to survive Rock Blast much easier than Archeops.

Also mention that most of the tier's relevant bulky Grass-types, such as Vileplume, Ferroseed, and Gourgeist, are not weak to both moves.

Mention Gourgeist in 'Bulky Grass' section.

Mention Virizion in 'Fast Grass' section.

- Quag can probably be slotted into the bulky Waters section.
- Just saying that +2 doesn't need to be mentioned at all (Unaware remember).
- Mention that while Quag takes a lot of damage from Grass Knot, it can survive one (unlike Seismitoad after +2).
QC 1/3
Thanks! Changes implemented.

Blast

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Saying Taunt "shuts down" Steelix is weird wording, Lix is far from useless even when it's Taunted. Just say it blocks Defog and opposing hazards

- Best used on a hyper offense team that can take advantage of Stealth Rock being on the field
Literally every team ever can "take advantage of Stealth Rock." You can replace this point with teammates that enjoy Barb's early-game Taunt support and ability to weaken things like Seismitoad and Lix with GK and Endeavor

I wouldn't mention Qwilfish as a teammate for lead Barb because its passive nature is counterproductive with the HO teams this set is always on

Also for both sets, I would mention more than just Fire-types as checks to Grass-types, especially because the main one in this meta (Virizion) can outspeed and kill all of them after a boost. Stuff like Sneasel would be an example

What makes Archeops and Seismitoad stand out as Stealth Rock setters for Barb? The latter in particular seems pretty bad because they both stack a major weakness to Grass and Seismitoad doesn't seem to help it much in general

Gourgeist is neutral to both Poison Jab and X-Scissor so it walls Barb regardless of whether it's running those moves

Empress

Saying Taunt "shuts down" Steelix is weird wording, Lix is far from useless even when it's Taunted. Just say it blocks Defog and opposing hazards

Literally every team ever can "take advantage of Stealth Rock." You can replace this point with teammates that enjoy Barb's early-game Taunt support and ability to weaken things like Seismitoad and Lix with GK and Endeavor

I wouldn't mention Qwilfish as a teammate for lead Barb because its passive nature is counterproductive with the HO teams this set is always on

Also for both sets, I would mention more than just Fire-types as checks to Grass-types, especially because the main one in this meta (Virizion) can outspeed and kill all of them after a boost. Stuff like Sneasel would be an example

What makes Archeops and Seismitoad stand out as Stealth Rock setters for Barb? The latter in particular seems pretty bad because they both stack a major weakness to Grass and Seismitoad doesn't seem to help it much in general

Gourgeist is neutral to both Poison Jab and X-Scissor so it walls Barb regardless of whether it's running those moves
Changes implemented. Archeops is a good setter of SR because it fits on the offensive teams that Barbaracle is most commonly seen on whether it's leading or Shell Smashing. (I think.)

Blast

A lot of the points in the Overview are specific to only one of the sets so make sure to clarify them in the writeup

QC 2/3

i would reword the overview a bit, saying that it beats Uxie is a bit misleading, I would say that Taunt beats bulky Uxie, mention that fast Uxies dont really lose to lead barbaracle.

I think Typhlosion is a better teammate than Pyroar for lead Barbaracle, SR up really limits counters not named yama

otherwise i dont have any major issues with this, Barb is pretty simple mon

3/3

Empress

i would reword the overview a bit, saying that it beats Uxie is a bit misleading, I would say that Taunt beats bulky Uxie, mention that fast Uxies dont really lose to lead barbaracle.

I think Typhlosion is a better teammate than Pyroar for lead Barbaracle, SR up really limits counters not named yama

otherwise i dont have any major issues with this, Barb is pretty simple mon

3/3
Thank you! GP time.

Punchshroom

wh0sy0urpapa Ah just one more thing, you can mention Razor Shell in Moves to fend off the Ground-type spinners Claydol and Sandslash, something Archeops cannot do. (Granted, those two don't seem nearly as popular enough to warrant a full slash)

Last edited:

tehy

Banned deucer.
Get chekt

Delete in RED
Add in BLUE

At the end of OO,your Superpower explanation is pretty off. Redundant with a Life Orb? Honestly, White Herb is pretty irrelevant given that you should usually be burning that on a Smash anyhow.

Fast grasses can't stop you from SR considering that you're sashed so uh, yea. I guess sucks for Mental Herb? that's just SD mention tho. Also, why are those two separate sections? You can easily subdivide them in the Grass-type section tbh.
Comments:

Not really 'guaranteed' to set up Stealth Rock, considering Xatu, faster Taunt, Lilligant Sleep Powder. Almost always really fits.

Stone Edge hits all xatu hard?, and also i assume it hits those water/flyings for massive damage, though if you want to separate the two and say they are just 'hit' you should do that.

Overview
########

While Barbaracle might not be the first choice for your NU team, it has a viable niche as an anti-lead. It possesses the coveted combination of with Stealth Rock and Taunt, which allow allowing it to shut down slower opposing leads such as Crustle and bulky Uxie while being guaranteed to and almost always set up Stealth Rock,(ac) respectively an entry hazard. Moreover, Barbaracle possesses the coverage in Stone Edge and Grass Knot needed to deal with many dedicated leads,(rc) such as Stone Edge for Typhlosion and Grass Knot for Seismitoad,(ac) respectively. Barbaracle's niche over Archeops is its neutrality to Water- and Rock-type moves,(rc) allowing allows it to deal with Scald-using Defoggers with Scald and Rock Blast users,(ac) respectively,(ac) better than Archeops can. Alternatively, Barbaracle can act as a sweeper because of its access to sweep with Shell Smash. It has and it great offensive synergy in its Rock- and Water-type STAB moves and alongside possesses great coverage to beat Pokemon that resist its STAB combination them,(ac) such as Ferroseed. Barbaracle even has; Tough Claws even boosts to make its contact moves hit harder. However, Barbaracle's low Speed means it matches up poorly against faster leads such as Archeops and Qwilfish, and it will do little for the team if affected by Taunt. Its poor sSpeed does it no favors as a sweeper, either, as it will be guaranteed to take a hit or be Taunted before setting up. Barbaracle also faces Shell Smash competition as a sweeper from Gorebyss, who can Baton Pass its offensive boosts to a teammate to aid their sweep. Nonetheless, Barbaracle remains a decent choice for any team desiring early-game momentum or a solid late-game cleaner.

Lead
########
name: Lead

Moves
========

Stealth Rock is a very useful entry hazard, and Barbaracle will have many chances to set it up against slower leads such as Uxie. Taunt shuts down slower hazard setters such as Crustle, as well as Defog users such as Prinplup. Stone Edge hits lead Xatu for massive damage, as well as Flying-type Defog users such as Mantine,(ac) for massive damage. Grass Knot hits Seismitoad for super effective damage, and Endeavor will bring down the foe to 1 HP if Barbaracle has used its Focus Sash.

Set Details
========

Full investment in Speed and Attack maximize Barbaracle's offensive potential with this set. A positive nature in Speed allows it Barbaracle to have an easier time setting up Stealth Rock. If running Grass Knot,;(comma to semicolon) a Naive nature is preferred alongside Grass Knot, while Endeavor pairs well with in order to not lower Barbaracle's Special Attack; otherwise a Jolly nature should be used. Focus Sash allows Barbaracle to survive a single powerful attack, guaranteeing it can set up a Stealth Rock before it faints. A Mental Herb is an alternative to protect Barbaracle from a faster Taunt once.

Usage Tips
========

This set should always be used as a lead, or at least in the early game, in order to gain momentum. While Barbaracle matches up well against lead Archeops, prediction is very important, as Archeops can either Taunt Barbaracle to stop it from setting up Stealth Rock, or attack Barbaracle to bring it to low health. Moreover, Barbaracle potentially forces out offensive leads such as Typhlosion, so take advantage of predicted switches to get Stealth Rock on the field. Taunt should always be the first move against slower hazard leads such as Steelix or Uxie.

Team Options
========

This set is best used on a hyper offense team that appreciates early-game Taunt support and the ability to break walls such as Seismitoad and Mega Steelix with Grass Knot and Endeavor, respectively. Offensive Fire- and Ice-types such as Typhlosion and Sneasel, respectively, are good attacking partners who simultaneously threaten the Grass-types such as Virizion that will switch into Barbaracle and force it out. A spinblocker such as Mismagius or Golurk will prevent opponents from Rapid Spinning your Stealth Rock away, while a faster Taunt user such as Archeops will prevent Defoggers from removing your Stealth Rock as well.

Shell Smash
########

Moves
========

Shell Smash is a great boosting move, raising Barbaracle's Attack and Speed to high levels. Razor Shell is Barbaracle's Water-type STAB attack, receiving a damage boost from Tough Claws and having a high 50% chance to lower the foe's Defense. Stone Edge is Barbaracle's secondary STAB attack, hitting targets that resist Razor Shell,(rc) and is its best bet against such as Water- and Grass-types. Cross Chop provides strong Fighting-type coverage and gets the Tough Claws boost, hitting bulky targets like Ferroseed for super effective damage and OHKOing Virizion. Alternatively, a +2 Grass Knot will OHKO Seismitoad and deal serious damage to Unaware Quagsire.

Set Details
========

Life Orb is the preferred option to raises Barbaracle's damage output even further, though Lum Berry can be used to protects it from crippling status effects, such as a Prankster Thunder Wave from Liepard.,(period to comma) and White Herb is also an option to remove negates the stat-lowering effects of Shell Smash. Maximum Speed allows Barbaracle to outspeed everything up to Choice Scarf Pyroar, and maximum Attack lets Barbaracle deal as much damage as possible. If running Grass Knot, Barbaracle needs a Naive nature,(rc) as Grass Knot does not always to OHKO Seismitoad with a Jolly nature.

Usage Tips
========

This set has few choices for setup fodder. It must set up on choice-locked Pokemon such as Typhlosion locked into Fire Blast, or on defensive Pokemon should Barbaracle be running Lum Berry. Barbaracle's primary role is a late-game cleaner instead of an early-game wallbreaker, and you more or less get one shot to sweep with Barbaracle, so be sure to preserve it throughout the match and bring it out wisely.

Team Options
========

A Fire- or Ice-type such as Typhlosion or Cryogonal will beat the Grass-type attackers that give Barbaracle trouble. Special attackers deal with physical walls that Barbaracle cannot break; Pyroar and Ninetales double as special attackers which beat Grass-types. Entry hazard setters such as Archeops can wear down foes in order to ease Barbaracle's sweep. A bulky Grass-type can smash the bulky Water-types that Barbaracle struggles against. Vileplume is a great partner because it hits Grass-types super effectively with its Poison-type STAB,(rc) and covers Barbaracle's Fighting weakness.

Other Options
########

Earthquake is an alternative to hit Garbodor, Qwilfish, and Lanturn a little harder,(rc) and the move has perfect accuracy and avoids contact. However,(rc) far more accurately while avoiding contact,(ac) but it does not doesn't get the Tough Claws boost,(rc) and Ground-type coverage is often redundant on the Shell Smash set provides redundant coverage. Poison Jab and X-Scissor hit Grass-types harder, have perfect accuracy and get the Tough Claws boost, but Stone Edge typically deals with Grass-types well enough already. Moreover,(rc) many of NU's relevant bulky and many Grass-types such as Vileplume,(rc) Ferroseed,(rc) and Gourgeist in NU are not aren't weak to them the moves. Barbaracle learns Switcheroo, but is a bad user of it because of its low Speed. Superpower is an alternative to Cross Chop if you hate missing, and more reliably OHKOes Eviolite Ferroseed after a Shell Smash. However, but it works poorly alongside White Herb,(rc) and is redundant if Barbaracle is holding Life Orb.

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Grass-types**: Should Barbaracle not be running Poison Jab or X-Scissor, bulky Grass-types such as Tangela wall it and hit it back super- effectively right back. Both Gourgeist-S and Gourgeist-XL are hit neutrally by Poison Jab and X-Scissor,(rc) so they wall Barbaracle regardless of whether it runs those moves or not.

**Faster Taunt Users**: Faster Pokemon such as Qwilfish or Archeops can Taunt Barbaracle, preventing it from setting up a Stealth Rock or Shell Smash.

**Gurdurr**: Eviolite Gurdurr is a great physical tank that can take a +2 Razor Shell from Barbaracle and 2HKO it back with Drain Punch and + Mach Punch.

**Bulky Water-types**: Bulky Water-types resist Barbaracle's Razor Shell, and can often take a Stone Edge too. Seismitoad, Quagsire, and Poliwrath wall non-Grass Knot variants,(rc) and they threaten Barbaracle back with their Ground and Fighting-type non-Water STAB moves,(rc) respectively. While a +2 Grass Knot OHKOes Seismitoad, it does not do the same to Quagsire because of Unaware,(rc) or Poliwrath because it has only a single weakness to the move.

**Fast Grass-types**: Faster Grass-types such as Virizion, Lilligant and Leafeon can revenge kill take out Barbaracle before it can use Stealth Rock or Shell Smash Shell Smash or knock it down to its Focus Sash.

**Status Problems**: Barbaracle does not always run Lum Berry. If it isn't running it,(rc) all All forms of status prevent Barbaracle from sweeping effectively,(ac) and are especially problematic if it lacks a Lum Berry.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/2, let's get you that teardrop
Overview
########

While Barbaracle might not be the first choice for your NU team, it has a viable niche as an anti-lead. It possesses the coveted combination of Taunt and Stealth Rock and Taunt, allowing it to shut down slower opposing leads such as Crustle and bulky Uxie while being guaranteed to set up an entry hazard. Moreover, Barbaracle possesses the coverage needed to deal with many dedicated leads, such as Stone Edge for Typhlosion and Grass Knot for Seismitoad. Barbaracle's niche over Archeops is its neutrality to Water- and Rock-type moves, allowing it to deal with Defoggers with Scald and Rock Blast users better than Archeops can. Alternatively, Barbaracle can act as a sweeper because of its access to Shell Smash. It has great offensive synergy in its Rock- and Water-type STAB moves and possesses great coverage to beat Pokemon that resist its STAB combination, (comma imo) such as Ferroseed. Barbaracle even has Tough Claws to make its contact moves hit harder. However, Barbaracle's low Speed means it matches up poorly against faster leads such as Archeops and Qwilfish, and it will do little for the team if affected by Taunt. Its poor Speed does it no favors as a sweeper, either, as it will be guaranteed to take a hit or be Taunted before setting up. Barbaracle also faces Shell Smash competition as a Shell Smash user from Gorebyss, who which can Baton Pass its offensive boosts to a teammate to aid their sweep. Nonetheless, Barbaracle remains a decent choice for any team desiring early-game momentum or a solid late-game cleaner.

Lead
########
name: Lead

Moves
========

Stealth Rock is a very useful entry hazard, and Barbaracle will have many chances to set it up against slower leads such as Uxie. Taunt shuts down slower entry hazard setters such as Crustle, as well as Defog users such as Prinplup. Stone Edge hits lead Xatu for massive damage, as well as Flying-type Defog users such as Mantine, for massive damage (only change if that's correct). Grass Knot hits Seismitoad for super effective damage, and whereas Endeavor will bring down the foe to 1 HP if Barbaracle has used its Focus Sash. (period)

Set Details
========

Full investment in Speed and Attack maximizes Barbaracle's offensive potential with this set. A positive Speed nature in Speed allows it to have an easier time setting up Stealth Rock. If running Grass Knot, a Naive nature is preferred in order to not lower Barbaracle's Special Attack; otherwise, (comma) a Jolly nature should be used. Focus Sash allows Barbaracle to survive a single powerful attack, guaranteeing it can set up a Stealth Rock before it faints. Mental Herb is an alternative to protect Barbaracle from a faster Taunt once.

Usage Tips
========

This set should always be used as a lead, or at least in the early-game, (only add comma if lead Barbaracle also can gain momentum) in order to gain momentum. While Barbaracle matches up well against lead Archeops, prediction is very important, as Archeops can either Taunt Barbaracle to stop it from setting up Stealth Rock, (remove comma) or attack Barbaracle to bring it to low health. Moreover, Barbaracle potentially forces out offensive leads such as Typhlosion, so take advantage of predicted switches to get Stealth Rock on the field. Taunt should always be the first move against slower entry hazard leads such as Steelix or and Uxie.

Team Options
========

This set is best used on a hyper offense team that appreciates early-game Taunt support and the Barbaracle's (it's awkwardly specific for a team to appreciate the ability to break walls with the moves Grass Knot and Endeavor in particular, so let's just straight out say that it's Barbaracle that's doing this) ability to break walls such as Seismitoad and Mega Steelix with Grass Knot and Endeavor, respectively. Offensive Fire- and Ice-types such as Typhlosion and Sneasel, respectively, are good attacking partners who that simultaneously threaten the Grass-types such as Virizion that will switch into Barbaracle and force it out, such as Virizion. A spinblocker such as Mismagius or Golurk will prevent opponents foes from Rapid Spinning your Barbaracle's Stealth Rock away, while a faster Taunt user such as Archeops will prevent Defoggers from removing your Barbaracle's Stealth Rock as well. (a more concise way to say this could be "Spinblockers, such as Mismagius and Golurk, and faster Taunt users, such as Archeops, can prevent foes from removing Barbaracle's Stealth Rock with Rapid Spin and Defog, respectively.")

Shell Smash
########

Moves
========

Shell Smash is a great boosting move, raising Barbaracle's Attack and Speed to high levels. Razor Shell is Barbaracle's Water-type STAB attack, receiving a damage boost from Tough Claws and having a high 50% chance to lower the foe's Defense. Stone Edge is Barbaracle's secondary STAB attack, hitting targets that resist Razor Shell, and is its Barbaracle's best bet against Water- and Grass-types. Cross Chop provides strong Fighting-type coverage and gets the Tough Claws boost, hitting bulky targets such as like Ferroseed for super effective damage and OHKOing Virizion. Alternatively, a +2 Grass Knot will OHKO Seismitoad and deal serious damage to Unaware Quagsire.

Set Details
========

Life Orb is the preferred option to raise Barbaracle's damage output even further, though Lum Berry can be used to protect it Barbaracle from crippling status effects, such as a Prankster Thunder Wave from Liepard. White Herb is also an option to remove the stat-lowering effects of Shell Smash. Maximum Speed allows Barbaracle to outspeed everything up to Choice Scarf Pyroar, and maximum Attack lets Barbaracle deal as much damage as possible. If running Grass Knot, Barbaracle needs a Naive nature, as Grass Knot does not always OHKO Seismitoad with a Jolly nature.

Usage Tips
========

This set has few choices for setup fodder. It must set up on Choice-locked Pokemon such as Typhlosion locked into Fire Blast, or on defensive Pokemon should Barbaracle be running Lum Berry. Barbaracle's primary role is that of a late-game cleaner instead of an early-game wallbreaker, and you more or less get one shot to sweep with Barbaracle, so be sure to preserve it throughout the match and bring it out wisely.

Team Options
========

A Fire- or Ice-type such as Typhlosion or Cryogonal will beat the Grass-type attackers that give Barbaracle trouble. Special attackers deal with physical walls that Barbaracle cannot break; Pyroar and Ninetales double as special attackers which beat Grass-types. Entry hazard setters such as Archeops can wear down foes in order to ease Barbaracle's sweep. A bulky Grass-type can smash the bulky Water-types that Barbaracle struggles against. Vileplume is a great partner because it hits Grass-types super effectively with its Poison-type STAB moves, (remove comma) and covers Barbaracle's Fighting weakness.

Other Options
########

Earthquake is an alternative to hit Garbodor, Qwilfish, and Lanturn a little harder, and the move has perfect accuracy and avoids contact. However, it does not get the Tough Claws boost, and Ground-type coverage is often redundant on the Shell Smash set. Poison Jab and X-Scissor hit Grass-types harder, have perfect accuracy, (comma) and get the Tough Claws boost, but Stone Edge typically deals with Grass-types well enough already. Moreover, many of NU's relevant bulky Grass-types such as Vileplume, Ferroseed, and Gourgeist are not weak to the moves. Barbaracle learns Switcheroo, (remove comma) but is too slow to be a good user a bad user of it because of its low Speed (changed to get rid of the multiple "it"s). Superpower is an alternative to Cross Chop if you hate missing, and it more reliably OHKOes Eviolite Ferroseed after a Shell Smash. However, it works poorly alongside White Herb, (remove comma) and is redundant if Barbaracle is holding Life Orb.

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Grass-types**: Should Barbaracle not be running Poison Jab or X-Scissor, bulky Grass-types such as Tangela wall it and hit it super effectively right back. Both Gourgeist-S and Gourgeist-XL are hit neutrally by Poison Jab and X-Scissor, so they wall Barbaracle regardless of whether it runs those moves or not.

**Faster Taunt Users**: Faster Pokemon such as Qwilfish or and Archeops can Taunt Barbaracle, preventing it from setting up a Stealth Rock or Shell Smash.

**Gurdurr**: Eviolite Gurdurr is a great physical tank that can take a +2 Razor Shell from Barbaracle and 2HKO it back with Drain Punch and Mach Punch.

**Bulky Water-types**: Bulky Water-types resist Barbaracle's Razor Shell, (remove comma) and can often take a Stone Edge too (if you mean they can take a Razor Shell and then also take a Stone Edge, then keep the "too", otherwise I feel like you should take it out). Seismitoad, Quagsire, and Poliwrath wall non-Grass Knot variants, and they threaten Barbaracle back with their Ground- and Fighting-type STAB moves, respectively. While a +2 Grass Knot OHKOes Seismitoad, it does not do the same to Quagsire because of Unaware, or and Poliwrath because it has only a single weakness to the move.

**Fast Grass-types**: Faster Grass-types such as Virizion, Lilligant, (comma) and Leafeon can revenge kill Barbaracle before it can use Stealth Rock or Shell Smash.

**Status Problems**: If Barbaracle does not always run Lum Berry. If it isn't running it, all forms of status prevent Barbaracle from sweeping effectively.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)