Behind the Screens - an OU RMT

I hadn't really considered Screeners to be that important to me in the past. I thought wasting 1/6 of your team for a Pokemon that will only be effectively using two moves was one of the worst ideas in the game until I tried it. I present: Behind the Screens (bad pun definitely intended).

The basic idea is to have screens up as much of the battle as possible. With the screens that Bronzong and Latias set up, I can set up and sweep much more easily with my three power houses: Tyranitar, Scizor, and Salamence. I am winning about 80% of my games and most of those losses are from opponent's who have Brick Break (usually on Scizor), but I still feel like it can be better. I would feel more comfortable if I had a special sweeper to help me take on some of the dedicated physical walls, but I just can't find one that fits onto the team.

Every type of attack is resisted by at least one Pokemon on this team. Every type of attack except for two are resisted by at least two Pokemon on this team. Every 4x weakness has at leasts 2 resistances.

A behind the screens look (wow look at me. Aren't I funny for overusing a terrible pun):

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Jolly
Pressure
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Taunt
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge

The standard Aerodactyl lead returns as one of the best suicide leads in the game. I can always set up Stealth Rock with this little guy and prevent the opponent from doing the same. It can come back later in the game (if it did it's job right, while still holding it's Sash). It is also important because it is the only Pokemon on my team who can sweep somewhat efficiently without set-up.

Bronzong @ Light Clay
Relaxed
Levitate
252 HP / 152 Atk / 96 SpD
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-Gyro Ball
-Explosion

Bronzong is the first of my two Screeners. With only one weakness and tons of resistances, it shouldn't have a problem coming in to set up screens. Once they are set up, Gyro Ball can be used to KO many of the fast fragile sweepers while Explosion can KO just about anything. Most of the time, however, I switch Bronzong out so he can come back in on any of his resistances and set up the screens again. Most opponents predict an Explosion right after I set-up both screens so I can scout the opponent's team for a ghost type who would block Explosion.

Latias @ Light Clay
Timid
Levitate
252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Wish
-Draco Meteor

Latias is my second Screener and she is great at it. With great stats and an even better movepool, Latias should never be taken lightly. It has the defenses to set up screen and has access to one of the best support moves in the game: Wish which allows me to switch in any of my Bulky sweepers on a resisted hit and have their HP restored. Draco Meteor is just ridiculously powerful and help me get by some of the fast taunters.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Adamant
Sandstream
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Dragon Dance
-Crunch
-Stone Edge
-Aqua Tail

This beast speaks for itself. With Reflect and Light Screen up, Tyranitar shuld have no trouble finding time for a Dragon Dance or two. After two Dragon Dances, Tyranitar sits happily at 806 Attack and 442 Speed. That is just plain unstoppable. With Reflect up, Scizor's SE Bullet Punch even fails to 2HKO Tyranitar. His Bulkiness, great attack stat, Dragon Dance, and ability to abuse Reflect and Light Screen make him a must for this team.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Adamant
Technician
248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
-Swords Dance
-Bullet Punch
-Brick Break
-Roost

This is the standard Swords Dance Scizor, but with more Bulk and increased survivability. With Reflect and Light Screen up, Scizor should stay alive a bit longer than usual so the extra HP and Leftovers help him to SD one or two more times. This also prevents him from killing himself with LO recoil like so many other Scizors end up doing. Brick Break is for coverage for the most part. The attack AND defense drop of Superpower just seems like too much. Roost is just great in conjunction with the screens and can keep using SD as long as their attack does less than 50% to me.

Salamence @ Lum Berry
Naughty
Intimidate
232 Atk / 252 Spe / 24 SpA
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast

When Salamence enters the field with both screens up, it is usually good game. Salamance almost always manage two Dragon Dances which is more than enough to outspeed anything and OHKO almost anything. It is my only mixed attacker and is my answer to Forretress or Skarmory who otherwise just completely destroy my team. I am using a Lum Berry instead of a Life Orb because the recoil + sandstream means I lose 16.25% of my health every turn I attack which is just not good considering that I want him to take a few hits (with screens). It also lets me overcome the confusion at the end of an Outrage and switch into most status move users.

There is the team. Please rate it as any help is appreciated and thanks! Changes are in bold.

Pirika

O boxeador revolucionário
is an Artist Alumnus
It's a nice team. But I suggest using using a ghost type Pokemon like Rotom-a (that can use both Reflect and Ligth Screen) for two reasons:

1-Having a sucide lead won't let you set Stealth Rocks again if you meet a Rapid Spinner.

2-Brick Break can destroy screens. I know that Brick Break is very rare now, but a ghost would prevent you from having your screens destroyed.

Nice team, but don't you think Salamence takes too much damage from Life Orb and Sandstorm? In that case, yeah, you should use Lum Berry.

It's a nice team. But I suggest using using a ghost type Pokemon like Rotom-a (that can use both Reflect and Ligth Screen) for two reasons:

1-Having a sucide lead won't let you set Stealth Rocks again if you meet a Rapid Spinner.

2-Brick Break can destroy screens. I know that Brick Break is very rare now, but a ghost would prevent you from having your screens destroyed.
http://www.smogon.com/dp/moves/brick_break
Destroys Light Screen and Reflect, then hits. Destroys the screens even if it targets a Ghost or misses the target.
Id'e still preffer Brick Break over Superpower on Scizor though. Attack AND defense drop? Superpower is only really useful on Absol and (mix)Dragonite.

Pirika

O boxeador revolucionário
is an Artist Alumnus
Oh. I did't know that, sorry.

Besides I still think that a spin blocker like Rotom could be useful. He can counter Scizor, and burn physical attackers with will-o-wisp.

I intend to keep Aerodactyl alive for later in the game if possible. If he doesn't make it further into the game and SR gets spun away, then I can still function. My sweepers should have enough power to KO most Pokemon without SR (even though the extra help is always appreciated). Rapid Spinners are also becoming increasingly rare. As already mentioned, BB breaks the screens no matter what.

Nice team, but don't you think Salamence takes too much damage from Life Orb and Sandstorm? In that case, yeah, you should use Lum Berry.
I am testing out Lum Berry now and it has been surprisinly useful after Outrages. The lack of power is noticable, but the lack of recoil is helping me more. I also like how if I launch an attack before DD, the opponent will think I am a Choice user.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/moves/brick_break

Id'e still preffer Brick Break over Superpower on Scizor though. Attack AND defense drop? Superpower is only really useful on Absol and (mix)Dragonite.
I am testing that out as well and I have been getting mixed results. The Drop had certainly been hurting me as well as the attack drop. It is a tough call whether to use BB or SP. I am going to stay with BB for now, but that might change in the future.

Oh. I did't know that, sorry.

Besides I still think that a spin blocker like Rotom could be useful. He can counter Scizor, and burn physical attackers with will-o-wisp.
Spin Blockers are just not as important as they used to be. The only physical attack who I ever see myself having any trouble with is Gyarados and I have a few ways of taking him out (last resort being Explosion from Bronzong). I have used Rotom-H in the past and it was great, but it just doesn't fit into the team in my opinion. The only things it could replace are Bronzong or Latias and they are both doing great things for me.

Thanks to all of you for the rates. I have taken all of these suggestions into consideraion. Changes are in bold.

Id'e preffer Naughty on Salamence, for the nice exact 400 attack number; your'e boosting your speed anyway, and Ice Shard will hit with priority anyway. I also use 226Spe on Scizor and X-Scissor, but just as Life Orb VS Leftovers, that's up to you.

Id'e preffer Naughty on Salamence, for the nice exact 400 attack number; your'e boosting your speed anyway, and Ice Shard will hit with priority anyway. I also use 226Spe on Scizor and X-Scissor, but just as Life Orb VS Leftovers, that's up to you.
I will continue to use the same Scizor set because the speed hasn't been hurting me that much at all while the extra HP has been saving me alot. I will however change Salamence's nature. Thank you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)