Other Metagames [BH] On The Contrary [Peaked #65 on Gen 7 ladder, ELO 1582]

Hello, friends. Welcome to the RMT of a team I've been working on for a while. I present to you, On The Contrary.

On The Contrary is a Contrary-based set of teams, one designed for the ORAS metagame, and one for the still-developing SuMo metagame. Below will be the teams I've designed, each with their own data and whatnot.

Nidhogg (Rayquaza-Mega) @ Draco Plate
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- V-create
- Draco Meteor
- Overheat
- Infestation

Ah, Contrary Rayquaza. What's there even to say about it at this point? This thing dominated in the ORAS BH meta from the moment people found out you could utterly destroy anything that looked at you sideways with it and still does. V-create and Draco Meteor are pretty much standard for setting up a sweep. Overheat is to give it a move that benefits from the boosts that Draco sets up, as well as giving it an option to raise stats MORE while hitting things like Mega Diancie. Infestation is on this set to take down Shedinja, which is a common switch-in to ConraRayquaza, from what I know. Infestation also bypasses Water Absorb, making it a better option than Whirlpool.

Deoxyribose (Deoxys-Attack) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Explosion

The other Contrary user on my team is Deoxys-A because of its massive attack and speed. Superpower raises it's already asinine attack up even further, and Knock Off lets it deal with Psychics and other types that don't go down to a Superpower. U-turn is what I call my "Undo Key", as I use it for emergency exits, typically switching into Lugia. Explosion is for when Deoxys is in a bad spot and U-turning out or switching isn't a good option. On top of all of that, giving it a Life Orb, while draining its precious health, which basically lets it OHKO nearly anything that hasn't got a resistance to moves I throw out. The downside is that it makes Deoxys-A even more of a glass cannon than it is already.

Swansong (Lugia) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Defog
- Toxic
- Psychic

The ORAS edition of OTC is designed to have hard-hitting sweepers, as well as fallback stalls/defensives. I personally like calling them stallbacks. Either way, the first one of them is Lugia. Lugia's defense-based stats aren't anything to throw up your nose at, as it can give you the edge you need, should there be a sweeper that you can't risk sending in one of your own against. Toxic Orb/Poison Heal has already proved itself effective with Pokemon like Gliscor, now imagine it on Lugia, which is actually defensively based. Roost is there to further boost Lugia's survivability, and Defog gets rid of entry hazards that would otherwise kill Shedinja. Toxic is there to help win stall battles, and Psychic is the mandatory "oh look I can actually hit you" move. I gave Lugia 0 IVs in Attack because it will minimize the damage from Foul Play. The downside to Lugia is that it pretty much is walled out by any Dark type that it can't get a toxic off on, or anything with a decent SpD and Magic Bounce. However, that's where the rest of my team can come in.

Husk (Shedinja) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Encore
- Recycle

Sturdy Shedinja is, in my eyes, the poster boy of Balanced Hackmons, and for good reason. Study Shedinja is an actual harbinger of doom for any team that's not able to deal with it. That's why it's crucial for every team to have some kind of Shedinja counter. What this Shedinja is designed to do is to ideally Swords Dance up to 4x attack, then simply just click Shadow Sneak to win. The Lum Berry on Shedinja can be substituted for an alternate set of Safety Goggles to protect it from weather, and Recycle would be replaced with some other attacking move, such as Shadow Claw or something of that nature. Encore is to trap opponents that would start to set up versus Shedinja into something they wouldn't ideally want to be in. For example, imagine you get encored into Sleep Talk while running a RestTalk mon. That would suck. A lot. You have to sacrifice a turn to switch out, giving Shedinja more opportunity to set up, or you have to just ride out the Encore. Either way, you're at a big disadvantage if Shedinja can trap you right where it wants you. The disadvantage for Shedinja remains the same, though. Mold Breaker/Spooky Plate Gengar still utterly wrecks Shedinja, and there's not much you can do about it if you can't actually take down the Gengar immediately, as well as anything running Whirlpool, Infestation, or moves of similar natures.

Gengis (Kangaskhan) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Precipice Blades
- Stone Edge
- Explosion

Who ISN'T familiar with the destructive prowess of MegaKanga at this point? Since MegaKanga would lose the ability to use Parental Bond if I just raw selected Kangaskahn, (thanks, Teambuilder), and thusly chose it to start as regular Kanga, but to Mega later. This gives it Parental Bond, as well as letting it have moves that hit hard. Fake Out is stock, but Precipice Blade and Stone Edge are there to be moves that slug the opponent right in the jaw. Both of them hit hard if they hit, and Explosion is the emergency "Alright, I need you to die" move. There should really never be a game where Kanga does nothing. At the very least, it should use Fake Out on something to soften it up enough for the primary sweepers to one-hit it.

Nucleic Acid (Deoxys-Defense) @ Leftovers
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Toxic
- Drain Punch
- Recover

Deoxys-D was the final piece of OTC. With my primary sweeper roles fulfilled, I needed something to have as a second stallback. Thus, I chose Deoxys-D due to its massive defense stat. Topping it off with Fur Coat, Deoxys-D makes for a rather intimidating physical wall. This set gives it the ability to both drain your health at an alarming rate with Toxic and Drain Punch, as well as bring itself back to wellness with both Drain Punch and Recover. The downside is that Deoxys-D really is lacking in the attack department, making long standoffs with it really monotonous and usually uneventful. On top of that, if something comes in and can set up against Deoxys-D, it's more likely than not screwed. But hey, that's what Shedinja's for, right?​

Hasty Nature
- V-create
- Draco Meteor
- Overheat
- Whirlpool

Deoxyribose (Deoxys-Attack) @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Explosion

Swansong (Lugia) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Defog
- Toxic
- Psychic​

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Encore
- Recycle

Gengis (Kangaskhan) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Precipice Blades
- Stone Edge
- Explosion

Nucleic Acid (Deoxys-Defense) @ Leftovers
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Toxic
- Drain Punch
- Recover

Zeitgeber (Dialga) @ Fairium Z
Ability: Simple
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Flash Cannon
- Dragon Pulse
- Oblivion Wing

With the introductions of Z-Crystals, the Balanced Hackmons meta was changed into something real fucking scary. Out were the days of boring old strats that were the same in every battle, and in came the possibility of literally anything with Z-Moves. I like to think that I've captured that with Dialga. Dialga is designed to Zeomancy right off the bat, giving it a scary stat boost with its Simple ability. Having 2x in every stat one turn, then 4x SpA, SpD, and Spe the next makes Dialga a major threat. Oblivion Wing gives it the ability to heal up any damage it may have taken while setting up, and Flash Cannon and Dragon Pulse are there to give Dialga some nice STAB moves that also benefit from the SpA bonus that Zeomancy offers. The only downside is that Dialga has a bit of an oddball typing, but one that's not per se bad. The real problem comes in when Dialga comes up against a Topsy-Turvy Registeel or things of that nature. However, if the opponent has no answer to it, Dialga is very capable of sweeping an entire team alone.

Ali (Mewtwo-Mega-X) @ Assault Vest/Life Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- V-create

With the new generation, it was time to experiment with a new Contrary user. Seeing as I could do anything, I decided I wanted to try out using a Mega Mewtwo. Because I had Dialga as a Special sweeper already, I decided to use MMX. Running Superpower and Close Combat as its main STAB moves, MMX gives a nice small nod to Deoxys-A from the previous version of OTC, while bringing a different style of 'mon to the table. Knock Off deals with Imposter Chansey moderately well, taking away the dreaded Eviolite. V-Create also gives MMX some really nice setup potential, making it akin to how Mega Rayquaza sets up. The downside is that MMX isn't known for extraordinary longevity, and thusly goes down pretty easily to things that can hit it with a super effective move. However, if things like Imposter Chansey are dealt with, MMX and its Contrary partner are capable of bringing an entire team to its knees.

Hasty Nature
- V-create
- Draco Meteor
- Overheat
- Infestation/Moongeist Beam

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? Mega Rayquaza in this set is almost identical to the one from the ORAS edition, so I won't bother repeating myself. The biggest difference is Moongeist Beam as a possible fourth move, which lets it break through Sturdy Shedinja's bullshit.

(swoosh bzzzzmmmm mega evolution noises)
Barry (Beedrill-Mega) @ Choice Band
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Leech Life
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run/Fell Stinger

Insert Bee Movie joke here. In all seriousness, Mega Beedrill is one of the best-known glass cannons in the game. There's a reason Beedrillite was banned in Mix and Mega. With a Choice Band and Moxie, Mega Beedrill's attack can reach absolutely nuts levels, especially if Fell Stinger lands that last move and gets the +3 attack boost. Beedrill's attack stat isn't anything to scoff at, but its defenses are. Beedrill is the very definition of a glass cannon, even more fragile than Mega Absol. If it gets outsped, more likely than not, it's going to die. But, if Beedrill is faster than what your opponent has, you have a very scary offensive threat on your hands.

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Sucker Punch
- Will-O-Wisp

Again with the Shedinja shenanigans. I don't feel like I even need to go into detail about how good Shedinja is because everyone who's played Balanced Hackmons has felt the wrath of Sturdy Shedinja at least once. This Shedinja is designed to Swords Dance once or twice, then Shadow Claw/Sucker Punch its way to victory. Will-O-Wisp deals with an opposing Shedinja, yadda yadda yadda. Shedinja's an annoyance, and I'm a terrible person for using one.

Give It A Chanse (Chansey) @ Eviolite
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Aromatherapy
Basic Imposter Chansey. The ability to steal an opponent's stats is incredibly helpful in Balanced Hackmons and can mean the difference between a win and a loss. Chansey, with Imposter and Eviolite, basically becomes the scourge of every team reliant on setting up, including OTC. That's why I'm running one. If need be, Chansey can prevent a counter-sweep. Chansey has the uncanny ability to sponge nearly any hit, and thus makes it a staple for teams that need to be able to counter setups or just to fuck with the enemy. The downside is that you're completely at the mercy of your enemy, in terms of what you copy. The enemy has a bad set on the mon you just copied? Too bad. You're stuck with it. Either way, Chansey makes a great counter-pivot, one that I've been leaning on for quite some time now.​

Zeitgeber (Dialga) @ Fairium Z
Ability: Simple
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Flash Cannon
- Dragon Pulse
- Oblivion Wing

Ali (Mewtwo-Mega-X) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- V-create

Hasty Nature
- V-create
- Draco Meteor
- Overheat
- Infestation

Barry (Beedrill-Mega) @ Choice Band
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Leech Life
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Sucker Punch
- Will-O-Wisp

Give It A Chanse (Chansey) @ Eviolite
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Aromatherapy

OTC is an offensive-based Contrary team. With a lot of sweeping potential, and a lot of weaknesses at least minorly compensated for, I truly believe this team could become something special in the meta of BH in ORAS and/or SuMo. Thank you for reading, and I hope you all have a wonderful day!

Last edited:
Just an idea, you might want to use Contrary Mega T-Tar to stop prankster topsy-turvy. Also, Just wondering why you run Overheat on Megray as opposed to another SpA move like Leaf Storm, Fleur Cannon, or Psycho Boost For type coverage since you already have V-Create

Ok to start with some basic easy to make improvements:
On dialga instead of dragon pulse use spacial rend, clanging scales (if you don't mind defense drop) or core enforcer. All these are more powerful and core enforcer can negate their abilities if they switch which can catch their unaware user off guard. Also consider using doom desire over flash cannon but has obvious disadvantages. In addition a move that is super effective on steel types would be extremely useful - blue flare/searing shot/earthpower are probably the best.
On Mega Mewtwo X I don't see the need for close combat so I would use Ice Hammer to hit mega rayquaza and zygarde hard or maybe sunsteel strike to hit unaware and shedinja (but this makes it hard to imposter proof).
Consider using Focus sash on mega ray but that's just an idea.
As mentioned drill run is bad, use EQ, precipice blades, thousand arrows etc.
For shedinja shadow claw isn't great (only 70BP) so use spectral thief (also takes boosts and 90BP) or shadow bone (85BP) or the trapping one I forgot the name of. Also get rid of the 4def EVs and give it 0IVs in defense and special defense with a -def nature since it has no use for defense and it will make an imposter easier to kill.
For chansey you might as well give it defog since you have shedinja and no hazards of your own and final gambit/whirlwind in case it can't transform.

Actual team building advice: you seem hellishly weak to imposter chansey so consider ways to beat this easily.

Last edited:
Hey The13thGalaxy good to see this rMT! I just have some additional suggestions to make it more successful:

First of all you need impostorproofing, which means you will unfortunately have to drop some of your team members. My suggestion would be Mega Beedrill> Unaware Mega Audino, which can check Mega Mewtwo X, Dialga, and Mega Rayquaza if you drop V Create. Yep, it checks all of those, in 1. Mewtwo can't kill it with two superpowers, Mega Ray can't kill it with two overheats, and Dialga's geomancy boost can be topsy turvy'ed or hazed away during the charge up turn. Remember that unaware ignores negative stat boosts, so topsy turvy won't reduce the damage they do to you.

This team is super weak to focus sash hyper offensive threats. Your frail contrary mons can't afford to take a hit, which focus sash forces them to do. For this, I would considering adding an entry hazard pivot that can also help check your setup users, such as Unaware Mega Audino > Beedril (Beedril is totally outclassed in BH, contrary to your beliefs).

Your Mega Mewtwo X set can replace Close Combat with another move, such as Dragon Ascent, which gives you the same stat boosts while giving you additional super effective coverage.

Similarly, Mega Rayquaza should replace V create with a better move. My suggestion is Fleur Cannon to get super effective hits against dark and Fighting types. Another good option is Ice hammer, which can dent Zygarde-C. Zygarde-c walls everything else on your team. Plus, you get extra speed, which is always nice.

Your Shedinja set is completely unviable in BH. You can use it to help check your own sweepers with the exception of your Ryquaza obviously, if you change it to the defensive pivot set (see the importables below), which would also ease the strain on Mega Audino.

Your team is also vulnerable to fast Spore users. Consider running some safety goggles.

Shedinja @ Lumb Berry
Level: 1
Timid Nature
IVS: 0 Spe
- Pain Split / Endeavor
- Baton Pass
- Whirlpool
- Recycle

EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Draco Meteor
- Overheat
- Moongeist beam

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD/ 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- V-create
- Dragon Ascent

Audino-Mega @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Haze
- Shore Up

Hope that helps you. I'll see you on the ladder.

Hey The13thGalaxy good to see this rMT! I just have some additional suggestions to make it more successful:

First of all you need impostorproofing, which means you will unfortunately have to drop some of your team members. My suggestion would be Mega Beedrill> Unaware Mega Audino, which can check Mega Mewtwo X, Dialga, and Mega Rayquaza if you drop V Create. Yep, it checks all of those, in 1. Mewtwo can't kill it with two superpowers, Mega Ray can't kill it with two overheats, and Dialga's geomancy boost can be topsy turvy'ed or hazed away during the charge up turn. Remember that unaware ignores negative stat boosts, so topsy turvy won't reduce the damage they do to you.

This team is super weak to focus sash hyper offensive threats. Your frail contrary mons can't afford to take a hit, which focus sash forces them to do. For this, I would considering adding an entry hazard pivot that can also help check your setup users, such as Unaware Mega Audino > Beedril (Beedril is totally outclassed in BH, contrary to your beliefs).

Your Mega Mewtwo X set can replace Close Combat with another move, such as Dragon Ascent, which gives you the same stat boosts while giving you additional super effective coverage.

Similarly, Mega Rayquaza should replace V create with a better move. My suggestion is Fleur Cannon to get super effective hits against dark and Fighting types. Another good option is Ice hammer, which can dent Zygarde-C. Zygarde-c walls everything else on your team. Plus, you get extra speed, which is always nice.

Your Shedinja set is completely unviable in BH. You can use it to help check your own sweepers with the exception of your Ryquaza obviously, if you change it to the defensive pivot set (see the importables below), which would also ease the strain on Mega Audino.

Your team is also vulnerable to fast Spore users. Consider running some safety goggles.

Shedinja @ Lumb Berry
Level: 1
Timid Nature
IVS: 0 Spe
- Pain Split / Endeavor
- Baton Pass
- Whirlpool
- Recycle

EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Draco Meteor
- Overheat
- Moongeist beam

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD/ 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- V-create
- Dragon Ascent

Audino-Mega @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Haze
- Shore Up

Hope that helps you. I'll see you on the ladder.
Remember, shedinja doesn't need to be level one to use endeavor/PS
Unless you are trying really hard to imposterproof

Last edited:
I would personally like to thank everyone who helped me make OTC the team that it is right now. I'm currently in the top 500 of Gen 7 Balanced Hackmons, and I couldn't be more happy with how things are turning out.

Special shoutouts to SuperSkylake and Willdbeast for their help here! Without you guys, I couldn't have reached this point. I love you both, stay awesome, and I hope I can see you two on the ladder sometime.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)