Let's Play! Blind-ish Hardcore Nuzlocke of Ultra Sun (Attempt #2)

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Not sure if this should go under Let's Play or Challenge, but Imma stick with Let's Play since I want to document this

Previously started this in this thread but was redirected here so I'm gonna recreate it here. In summary, I've hardly played any Gen 7, and I'm hoping a hardcore Nuzlocke will reignite my interests.

The rules I'll be following is standard Nuzlocke (1 mon per route, nickname all, dead if they faint), with exceptions granted to event/gift Pokemon, and dupes clause, so I can catch a different mon each route. In addition,
- No items allowed in battle
- EXP Share is off
- Battle is Set-type, so I can't switch when a new Pokemon comes out

To catch up on what's happened so far:
- I did a poll on what starter to choose, Rowlet won the poll.
- So far I've had: Rowlet (Hedwig) as a starter, Route 1 catch was Grubbin (Poker Face), Trainer School was Meowth-Alola (Winn), Hau'oli City was Furfrou (Tula), Route 2 was Makuhita (Sumo), Sandy Cave (off of Big Wave Beach) was Psyduck (Stranger), and Hau'oli Cemetary was Drifloon (Macy)

I'll post an update every time I accomplish smth major/I have a death. Speaking of,

Last edited:

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Death #1
- First death of the run came at the hands of Trainer School's Teacher. She had a level 10 Litten, who's Ember was pretty fucky for my Grubbin/Rowlet core. I was able to get one Mud Slap off from Grubbin first turn, while their Ember did more than half. I was forced to sack my Meowth-A, who was level 6, as I did not train it up on account of Meowth being trash. The one Mud Slap came in clutch, though, as I dodged 3/5 Embers, and through a combination of Meowth Bite and Rowlet Pecks, I was able to take it down.

Main team I'm sticking with will be Rowlet, Grubbin, Makuhita, and Furfrou. I'll carry around Drifloon and Psyduck in case I need death fodder, but hopefully I can deposit at least the Drifloon as soon as I have more than 6 mons. Furfrou early game is kind of a beast: 102 base Speed and 80 base Attack with Headbutt 2HKOs or OHKOs everything, so he's quite comforting early on.

However, everything really is being done in preparation of beating Ultra Necrozma, the only thing I know for certain will be a problem. I watched compilations of Nuzlockers dying to him, so I definitely need something to help me beat it. I've missed my chance to catch Zorua, and I only have one more Grimer-A spot left, so I'm hoping I get lucky there, otherwise idk what I'll do.

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
My run almost died to a Butterfree

I was fighting that Ace Trainer on Route 3 who gives you the TM for Roost. He had a Slowpoke (ez kill) and a Butterfree, who proceeded to get 3 out of 5 omniboosts from Silver Wind. I was fucking freaked. My strategy was to sack the two death fodder mons I have and try to KO with Fake Out on Makuhita, but it was doing only 1 hp per hit after 3 boosts. Then it used roost, taking away all the damage I gave, and I thought I was thoroughly screwed.

But, then it kept using roost. Turns out Silver Wind was its only attack, and after attacking 5 times, it could only roost spam. Ended up switching to Dartrix and having it KO itself to struggle.

But this now announces the Death #2 and Death #3 of the runs, poor Stranger the Psyduck and Man-Bat the Zubat. They won't rlly be missed and have been replaced with Coal the Delibird and Knifeow the Spearow as death fodder.

1628792843085.png

Death #1
- First death of the run came at the hands of Trainer School's Teacher. She had a level 10 Litten, who's Ember was pretty fucky for my Grubbin/Rowlet core. I was able to get one Mud Slap off from Grubbin first turn, while their Ember did more than half. I was forced to sack my Meowth-A, who was level 6, as I did not train it up on account of Meowth being trash. The one Mud Slap came in clutch, though, as I dodged 3/5 Embers, and through a combination of Meowth Bite and Rowlet Pecks, I was able to take it down.

Main team I'm sticking with will be Rowlet, Grubbin, Makuhita, and Furfrou. I'll carry around Drifloon and Psyduck in case I need death fodder, but hopefully I can deposit at least the Drifloon as soon as I have more than 6 mons. Furfrou early game is kind of a beast: 102 base Speed and 80 base Attack with Headbutt 2HKOs or OHKOs everything, so he's quite comforting early on.

However, everything really is being done in preparation of beating Ultra Necrozma, the only thing I know for certain will be a problem. I watched compilations of Nuzlockers dying to him, so I definitely need something to help me beat it. I've missed my chance to catch Zorua, and I only have one more Grimer-A spot left, so I'm hoping I get lucky there, otherwise idk what I'll do.
HEY YOU KEEP USING THAT FURFROU!

See my post in USUM in-game tiers as to why, but it's an amazing support Pokemon if you use it right! Quite the hidden gem.

Good luck with your Nuzlocke! Sorry about those deaths.

doc1203

Banned deucer.
Query: is Mr Mime a good Ultra Necrozma solution? Thinking it could like sit on it with Light Screen/Toxic/stuff like that

Edit: bruh who gave it Smart Strike
well it could still work because filter is a thing with reflect lol

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
well it could still work because filter is a thing with reflect lol
not really, UN can just outspeed it and KO it on the spot (Mr. Mime doesn't really have a great HP and Defense)... unless you use the Focus Sash from Dancer Julia, but there are tons of things that make a better use of that item

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
not really, UN can just outspeed it and KO it on the spot (Mr. Mime doesn't really have a great HP and Defense)... unless you use the Focus Sash from Dancer Julia, but there are tons of things that make a better use of that item
oh shit sash is possible? the run is saved

doc1203

Banned deucer.
yeah totally forgot about that lmao sorry

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
Update #3

I completed the First Island and got onto the second one, though not before catching a Roggenrola in Ten Carat Hill. I was pretty excited about this one, since it would help a lot with my team's fire weakness. Onto the second island, I was able to beat the Totem Araquanid without issue, although I almost got my birdboi KOed by a surprise Aurora Beam from the Totem. I'm gonna wait until its daytime to try my hand for a mon in Brooklet Hill, since Araquanid would be excellent. In the meantime, I was able to hatch the egg I got from the nursery owner, having an Eevee with their hidden ability. At first, I was kinda liking the idea of evolving it into a Sylveon, but thinking about it, the best choice is probably going to be Umbreon, for the Ultra Necrozma fight. Plus, I play at night a lot- in any case, I'm switch training that boi up.

Unfortunately, tragedy has struck. After fighting all the trainers on Route 5, I decided to hit up that Trial Aide guy, who would only battle if everyone else was done. I was not expecting him to be 4 levels higher than me and everyone else on the route. He sent a Mr. Mime, who used Z-Reflect, which really really really sucked, as every mon I had were physical attackers, besides my birb, which had Ominous Wind. However, his HP was too low for a safe switch in - meaning I had to sack someone. I eventually chose to sack the Furfrou, as I knew from the getgo it was not going to be pulling its weight in the lategame, and it had already nearly died when facing off against the first mon, a Slowpoke. That makes Death #4 of the run, rip Tula the Furfrou.

But I'm not done yet! Because after the trial, and when I cleared up the Sudowoodo blocking the way back, the nerdy Ultra Recon ppl showed up, and challenged me to fight with their Poipole. I figured it wouldn't be a big deal, and sent in Roggenrola, thinking the resistance to STAB would serve me well. Venoshock then proceeded to do nearly half the first hit, despite being resisted. I foolishly decided to keep in Roggenrola, thinking it would be fine for one more hit, when disaster struck: Poipole crit the second Venoshock, knocking out Roggenrola. Losing my Fire resist particular stings, especially just before the Fire trial coming up. Death #5 is bitter and sad. Rip Stoned the Roggenrola, taken too soon.

The plan for now will be to train up that Eevee, and later revisit the Water Trial area to hopefully catch a Water Bubble Araquanid, though any Water type would be thoroughly appreciated, at this point. Time to grind in the meantime.

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
Okay we're starting attempt #2. I haven't had this much fun playing Pokemon in ages and I think it can push out the annoyance of replaying early game all over again

This time we're picking Popplio, in preparation for that evil Marowak fight. And it's gonna be named Society. And it doesn't have a shittyy nature this time woooo

1628980263184.png

Society is somewhat of a clown
this is the run

Okay we're starting attempt #2. I haven't had this much fun playing Pokemon in ages and I think it can push out the annoyance of replaying early game all over again

This time we're picking Popplio, in preparation for that evil Marowak fight. And it's gonna be named Society. And it doesn't have a shittyy nature this time woooo

View attachment 365089
Society is somewhat of a clown
this is the run
Just wait till you get to what comes AFTER that fight. Every single Totem is hard for different reasons-a big reason why I think this is more fun than the original SM difficulty-wise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)