Tournament BLT VII: Finals

BLT.png

Art By sirDonovan
Approved by nui

Welcome to the finals of BLT VII! For this year's format, teams will be fighting in a round robin where every team will play every other team. At the end of the round robin, the top four teams will move on to the playoffs where the first seed will play the fourth seed and the second seed will play the third seed to determine who will be this year’s finalists. A win will be worth 2 points, a draw 1, and a loss 0. Obviously, play on PS! (preferably main or smogtours server). Series are played in a best-of-one.

Basic Tournament Rules - you absolutely should read this, especially if you're new to forum tournaments

Sportsmanship: Don't be an ass. Not to your opponents, not to your team, not on PS, not on Smogon, not to me. A bit of friendly banter is ok, but please know where to draw the line. Think before you type, please.

Scheduling and Activity Wins: Contact your opponent as quickly as possible on their Smogon wall, and look out for them on PS. You will have one week from the posting of the week's matches to get it done, and I will not be granting any extensions for any reasons. If your opponent is not responding to your post on their wall, cannot be found on PS, or miss multiple scheduled times, make a detailed activity post in the thread letting me know why you deserve the win. No activity post means no activity call. As long as you have visible attempts at scheduling (such as wall posts), you will be fine.

Disconnections and Timer: A timer loss is a loss. No if's, and's, or but's about it. If your opponent is nice enough to replay that's fine, but they are by no means obligated to.

Ghosting and Identity: Don't take or give battle advice or make moves based solely on the suggestions of others, and don't pretend to be someone else in order to play as them. You will be caught, and you will be disqualified from this season as well as future PS! tournaments (BLT, PSPL, etc.).

Substitutions: Managers are free to substitute out inactive players at any point during the week with any subs they chose during the draft. Be sure to post in the thread when making a substitution.

Spreadsheet

Matchups

Resort City Rufflets (4) vs (4) Hammerlocke Hatterenes

SS OU: Blimax vs Ewin
SS OU: Pradhaaan vs dahli
SS UU: ORAS-Mega vs 100%GXE

SS RU: TheFranklin vs Sensei Axew
SS NU: Skipkan vs Confide
SS LC: Acselsior13 vs Sciroccoo
SS DOU: Shadowmonstr4 vs Z Strats
SS MONO: Floss vs Maple

This week ends Aug 16th at 11:59PM PST (GMT-7). Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Heya since I didn't get a chance to say it in the semis thread, just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone involved in the Swamperts, TheWall, TTT and all my team mates for an amazing run, was very happy to chip in however I could bearing in mind I was a 3k hero, although all thats in the past, there's only one thing to say now...

GO RUFFLETS!!

SS OU: Blimax vs Ewin
He's pretty ayt. Also based on playstyle gravtation this looks like a mismatch.

SS OU: Pradhaaan vs dahli
Tough one. This is a game of skill vs overall performance in BLT and anything can happen in a battle, so gonna have to give it a tie. For the record, slightly leaning towards clouds.

SS UU: ORAS-Mega vs 100%GXE
The better player and we're not in tiebreaks so...

SS RU: TheFranklin vs Sensei Axew
This match has history apparently, but I think Sensei will get over his demons.

SS NU: Skipkan vs Confide
Confide showed up in the last game but I still think it's anyone's game. Leaning Confide.

SS LC: Acselsior13 vs Sciroccoo
If you asked me who'd win this matchup before the tour started, I would have said Sciro easily. But Acs has proven to be quite the force to be reckoned with.

SS DOU: Shadowmonstr4 vs Z Strats
Better player. Better builder. Contention for top DOUer in tour.

SS MONO: Floss vs Maple
Mono is like always garbage to predict in, but Floss makes it look like matchup isn't relevant and you cannot convince me that he's not leagues above the other Mono players in this tour.

Last edited:

Mellow1004

Banned deucer.
Welcome everyone to Final of BLT ! :jynx:
There are now 12 Weeks, about 70 participants we were selected to participate in the BLT, 70 fighters more powerful than the others ... Select among the best they are facing for 7 weeks in OU ; UU ; RU ; NU ; LC ; DOU ; Monotype | Then 32 came out victorious and we were able to advance to the semi-final ...

The semi-final was able to select 16 survivors, 16 fighters who are there to demonstrate and deploy all their power ... but now it is time to put an end to all that ... It is time to finish once and for all your enemies ! To take the Ultimate crown and thus lift the cup rewarding all your efforts !

Never forget that you are the best of the best, it is no longer a question of friendship or feelings (Always with respect ^^), now is the time to take out your best team and think as hard as you can because this fight will be the last ... There is no going back ! Now it remains to know if you will pass this final test.

Do you find that impressive? Obviously you haven't seen anything yet ! Because it is now that he will be worth all to give ! because dear friends we arrive in front of the ultimate doors ! Now It will be worth choosing your destinner, because the final fight begins now ...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------​
  • If possible, please put the replays of your match so that everyone can enjoy it.
  • The winners of the matches will have the possibility of having a small avatar of their favorite Pokémon in order to represent them at best (I know that it is a little poor but it is the best I can do to support and thank you for making this tournament
  • A big thank you to the staff who make this tournament possible, a big thank you to all the players who participate in this tournament and we are amazed in this crazy competition. :jynx:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's go for the Final of BLT tournament ! :jynx:

:Rufflet: Resort City Rufflets :Rufflet: VS :Hatterene: Hammerlocke Hatterenes :Hatterene:
SS OU: Blimax vs Ewin | Ewin --> https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1169395110 :Machamp-Gmax:

SS OU: Pradhaaan vs dahli | Pradhaaan --> https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1169447187 :Yveltal:

SS OU: Ewin vs Pradhaaan |

SS UU: ORAS-Mega vs 100%GXE | 100%GXE --> https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1169976835 :Metagross-Mega:

SS RU: TheFranklin vs Sensei Axew | TheFranklin --> https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1168414732-0emkrgbs6x9sbm2k4ukv19w1u8gl7enpw :Dragonite:

SS NU: Skipkan vs Confide | Confide --> https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1169940894-l9h5y0a2upgkba66mdu7hfy78e3p4ttpw :Heatran:

SS LC: Acselsior13 vs Sciroccoo | Acselsior13 --> https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8lc-1166427718-r6acwssqcpbcobfdu1j0u522385e9ixpw :Scizor:

SS LC: Confide vs Acselsior13 | Acselsior13 --> https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8lc-1171097593-ubjy0k5c32n64l2ikhlrc0mmf0nyjg8pw :scizor:

SS DOU: Shadowmonstr4 vs Z Strats | Shadowmonstr4 --> https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1166248853-rk1pgtan7ndkusirqa43mit41n2p3dapw :Swanna:

SS DOU: Z Strats vs Shadowmonstr4 |

SS MONO: Floss vs Maple | Maple --> https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1169218248 :Jirachi:

Good Luck for FINAL OF BLT 2020 ! :jynx:

I thank the TP + Tournament room very much for having organized this tournament, I also thank the staff who have an exceptional work, I also thank Plimsoll Punks for their organization ! I also thank all the staff who let me be able to organize the replay tables, I also thank all my friends who graciously agreed to come and see the matches, I thank all the spectators who attended this tournament, I also thank all the participants for giving us a grandiose spectacle and I thank you for reading me. But I think i can said this in two words l ... Thank you ! :jynx:

:Darkrai: Mellow1004 :Gengar:

Just in case - Disclaimers :

As a presenter of the replays, I don't have a favorite team. I appreciate you all not for your teams but for the good friendship I have with each of you, so I will be impartial and without favoritism. I adore you all and you are great friends thank you. :jynx:

Important Information :

Last edited:
I may not have power atm, but how can I not do predicts for the finals?

For the last time in a while, lets do this.

SS OU: Blimax vs Ewin - Both are great players but I'm more impressed by what I've seen from Ewin. Lightning will strike and Ewin will get one last electrifying blt victory (for now).
SS OU: Pradhaaan vs dahli - Pradhaaan has done very well this blt, while I hate to say it but peachy has played 2 less weeks and still has more losses on their record. Expecting this to be a good game if peachy brings their A game.
SS UU: ORAS-Mega vs 100%GXE - Both have proven themselves as great uu players, but I'll give the edge to gxe for being gxe. An upset here wouldn't surprise me though.
RU: TheFranklin vs Sensei Axew - This is based off who has performed better since dlc, and looking at the overall records. Sensei Axew has a very good record of 5-2 while arce... I won't say it. I would normally think this is no contest but don't sleep on arce. It was against Sensei Axew where he got 1 of his few victories (week 3). Go arce!
NU: Skipkan vs Confide - This is tough. Looking at the records alone, anyone would think skip wins this no doubt, but Skip's 1 and only loss was to the very user they face in finals now. Imo, the 2 seem to be on almost the exact same playing level, so because of these reasons, I really can't choose.
SS LC: Acselsior13 vs Sciroccoo - Ok... Who let the rufflets steal this absolute beast for a measly 6.5k anyway?!
SS DOU: Shadowmonstr4 vs Z Strats - I can't believe I hadn't heard of this goat before blt. Just like last time, and based on their better performance, I say Z Strats takes this.
SS MONO: Floss vs Maple - Both have proven to be great monotype players, but whereas DugZa only started picking up momentum later, Floss never stopped (looking at their records). Floss I think is the overall better player here, but its still mono, mu is (almost) everything this gen.

Was this worth using a solid 10% of my phone battery which I'm trying to preserve? Absolutely. This was my first time ever doing predicts for a smog tour and ngl, it was fun every week. Because of that I'll probably end up doing these next year, or tlt, idk. See ya then. Go Rufflets!

Shout out to micoytancinco12 for helping me with these every week by providing info when I lacked it.

(Apologies to anyone I may have possibly offended, please do not take these very seriously.)

Last edited:

Gray

stop ballcapping
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
the only thing i miss are dracos
Resort City Rufflets (4) vs Hammerlocke Hatterenes (4)
SS OU: Blimax (45) vs Ewin (55) - i think ewin had more impressive wins but should be a v good game
SS OU: Pradhaaan (60) vs dahli (40) - same as above
SS UU: ORAS-Mega (35) vs 100%GXE (65) - gxe too goat to lose this
SS RU: TheFranklin (40) vs Sensei Axew (60) - i'm not gonna lose faith in arce's playing ability but i think sensei will still take this
SS NU: Skipkan (55) vs Confide (45) - super close and important game and both players are very good, skipkan has been better tho
SS LC: Acselsior13 (55) vs Sciroccoo (45) - cant pick against acsel cuz the dude is 5-0, sciroccoo is a good player tho and should give him a solid run
SS DOU: Shadowmonstr4 (40) vs Z Strats (60) - shadowmonstr is a great player but zstrats has been on another level
SS MONO: Floss (55) vs Maple (45) - ends with the 2 best mono players in the tour, floss has been more impressive tho

LETS FUCKIN GO HATS

Robb576

It's all in the numbers
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
We're in the finals, so that means another 2 teams have been eliminated from the tour. This time, we'll be looking at the teams which on paper had some of the biggest chances to win BLT, starting with the Sunyshore Snorlaxes.

-The draft:
The snorlaxes' playing manager was EternalSnowman. This is pretty good as ESM showed to be a good Doubles player, with his most notable showing being R11 of DOU Winter SSNL. On top of that, he proved some versatility by reaching R6 of OU, indicating he could play that in a pinch if needed. However, in more recent showings, his DOU struggled a bit, reaching only R6 of DOU Spring after being given the win in R5, and going 3-5 in DPL. Still, it's an alright pick.

Starting off, they got kythr for 11.5K. Kythr had some great results to show, such as an unexpected R8 in OU SSNL, R6 in RU Kickoff and R10 of Monotype Spring SSNL. This was counteracted by a middling performance in RU Spring SSNL R4 and Monotype Summer SSNL R6 just before the tour started, but just like ESM, kythr had potential to be a worthwhile investment. After unsuccesfully nomming Jeran, and losing bids to GW and Mishimono, they landed an 11K cheese, to which trace did not consent. This definitely seemed as a misbuy on paper, where sentimentality or just being friends weighed heavier than competitiveness. Cheese had no true records to boot, as they didn't play in DPL despite being drafted and got to R7 of DOU Spring SSNL (was in R6 when draft took place). Additionally, this meant ESM would not play DOU, and had to play a tier where he had no gen8 records for. After these two buys it was pretty quiet on the laxes' side, and following lost bids to xskelly, maki's fox and blinkboy, there were only a handful of players left in the first pool. They got ythhhh who qualified first in the cycle, but had no records, and Urfgurgle, who played NU in BLT III (1-X record, with X >= 3), but also had no true gen8 experience to speak off. After the first part of the auction was over, the snorlaxes had a team that wasn't looking that hot yet. Kythr seemed to be the best player so far, but cheese pushed ESM out of DOU and ythhhh + urfgurgle looked like fillers.

For the second round, they just missed out on three coveted players in Trade, Updated Kanto and Twixtry, they landed their first smash hit in Feliburn for 21.5K. Feli was the best RU player in the pool and to get him for a bit more than 20K isn't bad at all. Next up they got Havens for just 8.5K, which was competent in monotype. However, it put another strain on their team roster and with both Feliburn and Havens on the team, kythr should be left in a tier they didn't main. Havens could also play DOU a bit but that was completely out of the question when you have both cheese and ESM to compete with. The laxes missed out on Snofall and plas, and spend 9.5K on ... Attribute? This purchase shared some similarities with cheese, where being friends, or at least a goon, meant more than winning. Attribute's best showing was reaching finals of Monotype's bo3 multigen seeded tour, which isn't even gen8 all the time. Other than that, they got to R3 in OU Stour tour and had two runs to R4 in SS Stours. Havens would be deadweight on the team if Attribute played mono, so Attribute in OU was a fact, but SS OU Attribute wasn't really a superstar yet.

The hatterenes thwarted their attempt at completing their OU core by snatching away dahli, the rufflets took away UU-mainer ORAS-Mega, but the laxes got a big buy again when they got Roginald for 16.5K. Roginald had absolutely no gen8 results to speak of, and is a friend of the goons as well. This seemed like a big overpay to me, but maybe they just saw something that I missed. The next overpay happened when they got Poat for 11.5K. Poat went undefeated in NU last year, but kinda stopped after that and came back for BLT VII. It wasn't immediately clear if he kept his skill, so this was a risk as well. Losing out on Sciroccoo, the pool of players was extremely barren again. They got yovan33321 for 6.5K, who was a good sleeper OU pick for the price they went for. They reached R6 of OU SSNL and R5 of Stour Tour and had a possibility to show potential if given the chance. They finished things off by picking up Sakumoto/Pathetic Worm, who didn't really had any records.

The roster of the laxes looked good and definitely had potential to be a big threat to any team. However, they lacked any UU- or LC-main so they had to be creative there. Still, in the end the lineup seemed worthy of being in the top half, and in my powerranking I put them in 3rd place.

-The tour:

Some surprises and some expected records, with none of them negatively affecting the snorlaxes. Cheese reintegrated well into gen8 DOU with a near-flawless record, getting a deadgame against SMB and losing to Z strats. Havens demolished most of the stacked monotype pool, as well as getting a DOU win in Week 7 when nothing mattered for the laxes and they were just fooling around. Feliburn went 6-2 in RU, but that can still be seen as a bit of a letdown. Where the loss against Mac3 was because the skill levels were of similar magnitude, the loss against dandaman was a big surprise. A loss against pradhaaan in an unlucky tiebreaker meant feli didn't had any OU succes in BLT either. Kythr surprisingly went 4-2 in UU, with the biggest accomplishment being a win against 70to90gxe, but the other wins weren't that memorable. Snofall was out of touch with the metas, and in hindsight TMM and GunGunJ struggled really hard this tour. They lost to ORAS-Mega twice and couldn't win against Maki's Fox in monotype either.

Roginald went neutral and looking at the opponents he had to face this was to be expected pretty much. Wins against pradhaaan, stareal and blimax were nice as I deem them to be of equal skill, but on the other side there were losses against non-OU mainers NRTS and APW001. The win against HellRayquaza1 and loss against Electric Win weren't surprising when ewin was on a roll following some good wcop results. In the end they lost an unfortunate tiebreak to blimax. EternalSnowman ended up as their LC-player, and pulled his weight in that tier going neutral. No big surprises though.

Poat was a big wildcard going in but ended up negative in NU. The pool was stacked and even though poat looked like one of the lesser players in there, wins against GW, ToastedBunzzz02 and confide were nice for him. Regardless, he couldnt repeat the same surprise as he made last year, but the odds were heavily against him if that was what he wanted to happen. Attribute lost against mainers in an OU pool that was too much for him, and the wins weren't that memorable. Urfgurgle, Sakumoto and yovan33321 were given a minimal amount of screentime, and didn't manage to surprise either. ythhhh didn't say anything after week 1 and hasn't played as a result.

The snorlaxes didn't really had any trouble qualifying for playoffs, and they had to face the Rufflets there. In week 1, they beat the Rufflets 5-3, and most of the results from week 1 were repeated here. There was one win for both teams in OU. DOU, Monotype and RU were won by the laxes and NU and UU were victories for the rufflets. The only thing that changed was that the rufflets had an LC-main who was on a big streak at that moment, and the only outcome that changed from Week 1 turned this semifinals in a tie. The snorlaxes picked DOU as their tier and the rufflets went with a second OU. Both of these picks were from my point of view the best for each team. Cheese did what was expected from him, praised the sun and beat shadowmonstr. Both feliburn and roginald lost their OU matches to what players of both teams called hax.

-Verdict:
There isn't that much inherently wrong with the snorlax team, outside of the lack of a real UU- and LC-main. Basically all of the battles in the semifinals could have gone either way, and this match could have been decided without a tiebreak as much as it could have been with one. If there has to be anything I should point at for the laxes as their main flaw, I'd say their roster was a bit stiff, with multiple people being forced into slots they haven't mained comfortably this gen (kythr in UU, ESM in LC, Attribute in OU), just because there were other mains that had to occupy their slots. If you wouldn't look at the tiers that the laxes played in week 7, they would only have feliburn who played more than 1 tier, and even that instance was just for the tiebreak. The laxes had a slight mismanagement in deciding who to buy, and their roster had no flexibility at all. Arthritis/10

Swamperts tomorrow in a new post!

Last edited:

I want Atago to sit on me

average seiyuu enjoyer
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
EXTRA BIASED PREDICTIONS

Resort City Rufflets (2) vs Hammerlocke Hatterenes (6)

SS OU: Blimax vs Ewin - Whoever doesnt bold Ewin’s name probably wants to see another agency post
SS OU: Pradhaaan vs dahli - In all seriousness I do think prad has a higher chance of winning but GO HATS
SS UU: ORAS-Mega vs 100%GXE - Beating kythr twice is impressive, but can he beat someone with 100% gxe?
SS RU: TheFranklin vs Sensei Axew - Untier. go hats.
SS NU: Skipkan vs Confide - Skipkan clearly should be favored given his performance but GO HATS
SS LC: Acselsior13 vs Sciroccoo - Acsel has been doing very well while Sciro has not, but I am NOT bolding usernames with numbers
SS DOU: Shadowmonstr4 vs Z Strats - I know what I just said above but please win so I can have the best DOU record
SS MONO: Floss vs Maple - Floss beat Maki's Fox but someone decided to turn that chance into a dead game instead so I’ll have to give it to Floss

EternalSnowman - UmU thank you for drafting me even tho I suck at this game. Wouldnt have that 6-1 record if I was on another team
trace - I have 6 winposts and this man has given me exactly 0 likes after 8 weeks LOL. Bad manager alert...
Havens - Ugh how does one go almost undefeated in monotype what a legend...
Feliburn - I dont remember seeing you prep at all but you were doing your job and casually giving us wins. A pleasure it was to be your teammate :D
kythr - I still have no idea how to say your name oops. You had so many fire teams bro the techs really made me drop my jaw. If you are still in opens then best of luck!
Roginald - What can I say. Poginald. You were a great teammate and a respectable player. A shame you got unlucky in some of your OU games but the tier sucks lmao
PrinceOfAllTacos - Thank you for acknowledging that I am the best DOUer this BLT and it will be true if my DPL teammate Shadowmonstr can clap Z Strats in the finals :psysly:
Attribute - You definitely deserve a better record after all those preps. At least your Jeran meme post was well received and you are a positive presence nonetheless (except the emotes that you posted in chat were :blobglare:)
yovan33321 Urfgurgle Sakumoto - Glad we were on the same team. Wish you all couldve played some more games
Colonel M Ark - GOAT cheerleaders. You provide moral support for the team every week and I enjoyed the fgo talks. Couldnt have asked for better fellow weebs :weary:

Robb576

It's all in the numbers
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Heya all! We've reached the last team to be eliminated before finals and it's time for the final eulogy of this week. Without further ado, let's talk about the Santalune Swamperts.

-The draft:
The perts had a playing manger in TTT x. Last year, TTT was a fresh face that shook up the Doubles tier after getting good real life results in VGC. However, they didn't really continue honing their skills in DOU in any kind of tournament after BLT VI, so it was a bit of a question mark if they were still good in DOU. 12.5K for TTT was a bit of a risk but it's still fine.

Starting things off the bolts edged out the perts on two players in APW001 and PokemonCestDur. They landed on imjustgray as their first player for 9K. Gray wasn't really doing any tours but he was on the perts last year and did decent there. This year he seemed to have improved during quals so dropping 9K was justified. They still needed 3 more players from this pool and after failing to get Pradhaaan, HellRayquaza1 was picked up for 4.5K. HR1 was a tours regular who is overall decent at most tiers so this is also a good buy. Next up was 3K Lugia_Numair which is a good filler pick which was definitely worth the money. Following this was a slew of near-hits where the perts just missed out on buying certain players. These include Aloopuriza, Ganso and Urfgurgle. They got the last player in the pool which was The Thunderbirds. Thunder didn't really had any records, but he eagerly participated or signed up for tours of almost every tier. Even though he seldom got past R1 in any of them, he still looked like a versatile player that could pick up and be pretty succesful in any tier when given the right support. Outside of imjustgray, the team looked pretty weak. The other 3 players weren't inherently bad but it was clear they wouldn't content with any of the tier favorites anywhere.
The swamperts needed to get some good mainers in the next part of the draft.

They were willing to overpay 31K on hamhamhamham, but the zams outbid them. They did get one of the best OU players in Updated Kanto for an, in comparison, meager 23K. UK was already proven as great OU player and his experience would aid the perts greatly. They finished their OU core by picking up an equally great frisoeva for 29K. The perts now had the best OU core without a doubt, and this would help them greatly in tiebreakers. They were now being pretty low on cash though, and had just 36K for 5 players (since they got TTT for 12.5K). The perts needed to play it smart if they didn't want to flop, since the team they had amassed so far wouldn't be able to carry them to semis. They almost got maroon for 7K, decem for 8K and Skipkan for 7K. All of these could help flesh out some of the empty spots they had, but it didn't work. They would get their mono- and NU-player quite a bit later though.

When ok132 was nommed, 3 different teams jumped on him. He was one of the best players in BLT VI and was doing well in NU recently as well, qualifying for NULT and beating Ho3n in playoffs. The perts wanted their player from last year back and paid 11.5K for him. The perts realised they also still needed an RU main, but lacked the funds to pay for gorex or Mac3. The monotype slot would be filled soon after when they got bandrizzlelol for just 5K. bdl signed up with a screenshot of an ungodly monotype-ladder record/gxe (maybe 96%), but deleted it afterwards. 5K for him was a great buy for the perts. Afterwards they got dandaman99 for 3K. Dan went lossless in BLT VI in Ubers with support, but it was kind of a guess if he could repeat that feat this year. The perts got TWW though so the right support might have been there. They also bought a promising-looking TMM for 12.5K very late into the draft as UU-main. They eneded their draft by getting Valletta for 4K, who lacked any records and was debuting in a tour.

In the end, the perts managed to get themselves a great team. With all tiers but RU covered, and even RU had TWW-support, they had a shot of defeating anyone and anything. In my powerranking I ranked them 2nd.

-The tour:

The perts got the #1 seed in playoffs, and it isn't hard to see why. They managed to win their first 4 weeks and that basically guaranteed them the top spot. Where every other team was struggling to get a winning streak going, the swamperts cruised to succes early on and just kept expanding their lead.

TTT lead the swamperts with a killer record in DOU, only losing from cheese and shadowmonstr. They got a double win against Z strats, and won against SMB as well, which is very nice for them. Following that is bandrizzlelol, going 3-1 in monotype and beating more known players like DugZa and Havens, and providing a neutral 1-1 in OU where both results were pretty much expected. Friso had a disappointing run for what was paid for him, just like what happened to ham. He went 3-0 in the first 3 weeks, beating strong opponents like Electric Win and Twixtry, but went 1-3 after he got benched in Week 4. Bad Player had a mediocre 4-4 tour with the worst being an unexpected loss against Miyan. Gray also went 4-4 in a pretty uneventful tour for him. These are all still records with which you can win a tour, and below that are some more positive and neutral records, so why did the perts get eliminated?

It sure doesn't help when one of your most important players gets banned. Kanto was one of the players the perts absolutely could NOT afford to lose, but unfortunately for them, that's exactly what happened. Before UK was banned, the perts won everything. After his ban, They got an abysmal 1-2-1 record. The perts eventually swapped bandrrizlelol and lugia_numair in OU and they did well. all while bandrizzlelol was still being able to support whoever got put into monotype. if UK wasn't banned he would have probs been 6-2 as well. bdl and lugia got the second ou slot record up to 5-3 which is respectable (not counting the win from lugia against kii as that was a sub for frisoeva and not UK).

Dandaman proved again that proper support can get you a very, VERY long way. Winning against feliburn, arce9 and gorex was great, but unfortunately for him he had to swallow his first BLT loss against Sensei Axew. Still, this 3-1 record was exactly what the perts needed for their RU slot. lugia_numair had a surprise win against kii, and with his positive record in time of need, he can look back to this blt with a smile. Thunderbirds went neutral in monotype, beating Maki's Fox and maroon, and losing against mainers in decem and dugza. All in all, this is also a very good run for him.

Most of the swamperts went at least neutral, but there were 3 players who had to boot a negative record. TMM struggled immensely and settled at 2-6 in UU, with their only wins being against snofall and ORAS-Mega. UU was kinda close skillwise but I would have expected him to go at least neutral. This might have been a bad stroke of luck or lack of motivation, but I'm not sure. HellRayquaza1 didn't stand a chance against stronger opponents in 3 different tiers and went winless, just as Valletta did against mainers in RU.

In the semifinals, They got wins against the hatterenes in DOU, NU and LC, while the hatterenes took OU, UU, RU and Monotype. On the last day, ewin and friso were subbed out for not playing on the scheduled time, with both being at fault, and lugia got the aforementioned surprise win against kii, which was what they needed to have a second chance in the tiebreak. The swamperts chose NU and the hatterenes picked UU. NU was a bit of a wierd pick for the swamperts since despite ok132 being 2-0 against confide in BLT (and confide in general having a poor record), neither of those wins were completely clean. Ok called both wins against confide "a lucky one" in their winposts, meaning the win wasn't guaranteed in that tier. I think they might have had more luck if they chose LC or DOU, but I'm not sure what the reasoning of the perts was when picking their own tier. In the end, confide won from ok132 and electric win beat frisoeva, and the run of the perts was over.

-Verdict:
If the perts still had UK, there would have been a big chance that they reached finals. That's the only thing I (and many others) see as the downfall of the swamperts. They had a solid team and were getting solid records, but the loss of one of their most pivotal players translated into the perts struggling for the rest of the tour. We will also be permanently banning Updated Kanto/10

Stay tuned for the rufflet's eulogy next week. It's finally hammertime hatterenes! Let's do this!!

drizzle

formerly henguinie
is a Tiering Contributor
Heya all! We've reached the last team to be eliminated before finals and it's time for the final eulogy of this week. Without further ado, let's talk about the Santalune Swamperts.

-The draft:
The perts had a playing manger in TTT x. Last year, TTT was a fresh face that shook up the Doubles tier after getting good real life results in VGC. However, they didn't really continue honing their skills in DOU in any kind of tournament after BLT VI, so it was a bit of a question mark if they were still good in DOU. 12.5K for TTT was a bit of a risk but it's still fine.

Starting things off the bolts edged out the perts on two players in APW001 and PokemonCestDur. They landed on imjustgray as their first player for 9K. Gray wasn't really doing any tours but he was on the perts last year and did decent there. This year he seemed to have improved during quals so dropping 9K was justified. They still needed 3 more players from this pool and after failing to get Pradhaaan, HellRayquaza1 was picked up for 4.5K. HR1 was a tours regular who is overall decent at most tiers so this is also a good buy. Next up was 3K Lugia_Numair which is a good filler pick which was definitely worth the money. Following this was a slew of near-hits where the perts just missed out on buying certain players. These include Aloopuriza, Ganso and Urfgurgle. They got the last player in the pool which was The Thunderbirds. Thunder didn't really had any records, but he eagerly participated or signed up for tours of almost every tier. Even though he seldom got past R1 in any of them, he still looked like a versatile player that could pick up and be pretty succesful in any tier when given the right support. Outside of imjustgray, the team looked pretty weak. The other 3 players weren't inherently bad but it was clear they wouldn't content with any of the tier favorites anywhere.
The swamperts needed to get some good mainers in the next part of the draft.

They were willing to overpay 31K on hamhamhamham, but the zams outbid them. They did get one of the best OU players in Updated Kanto for an, in comparison, meager 23K. UK was already proven as great OU player and his experience would aid the perts greatly. They finished their OU core by picking up an equally great frisoeva for 29K. The perts now had the best OU core without a doubt, and this would help them greatly in tiebreakers. They were now being pretty low on cash though, and had just 36K for 5 players (since they got TTT for 12.5K). The perts needed to play it smart if they didn't want to flop, since the team they had amassed so far wouldn't be able to carry them to semis. They almost got maroon for 7K, decem for 8K and Skipkan for 7K. All of these could help flesh out some of the empty spots they had, but it didn't work. They would get their mono- and NU-player quite a bit later though.

When ok132 was nommed, 3 different teams jumped on him. He was one of the best players in BLT VI and was doing well in NU recently as well, qualifying for NULT and beating Ho3n in playoffs. The perts wanted their player from last year back and paid 11.5K for him. The perts realised they also still needed an RU main, but lacked the funds to pay for gorex or Mac3. The monotype slot would be filled soon after when they got bandrizzlelol for just 5K. bdl signed up with a screenshot of an ungodly monotype-ladder record/gxe (maybe 96%), but deleted it afterwards. 5K for him was a great buy for the perts. Afterwards they got dandaman99 for 3K. Dan went lossless in BLT VI in Ubers with support, but it was kind of a guess if he could repeat that feat this year. The perts got TWW though so the right support might have been there. They also bought a promising-looking TMM for 12.5K very late into the draft as UU-main. They eneded their draft by getting Valletta for 4K, who lacked any records and was debuting in a tour.

In the end, the perts managed to get themselves a great team. With all tiers but RU covered, and even RU had TWW-support, they had a shot of defeating anyone and anything. In my powerranking I ranked them 2nd.

-The tour:

The perts got the #1 seed in playoffs, and it isn't hard to see why. They managed to win their first 4 weeks and that basically guaranteed them the top spot. Where every other team was struggling to get a winning streak going, the swamperts cruised to succes early on and just kept expanding their lead.

TTT lead the swamperts with a killer record in DOU, only losing from cheese and shadowmonstr. They got a double win against Z strats, and won against SMB as well, which is very nice for them. Following that is bandrizzlelol, going 3-1 in monotype and beating more known players like DugZa and Havens, and providing a neutral 1-1 in OU where both results were pretty much expected. Friso had a disappointing run for what was paid for him, just like what happened to ham. He went 3-0 in the first 3 weeks, beating strong opponents like Electric Win and Twixtry, but went 1-3 after he got benched in Week 4. Bad Player had a mediocre 4-4 tour with the worst being an unexpected loss against Miyan. Gray also went 4-4 in a pretty uneventful tour for him. These are all still records with which you can win a tour, and below that are some more positive and neutral records, so why did the perts get eliminated?

It sure doesn't help when one of your most important players gets banned. Kanto was one of the players the perts absolutely could NOT afford to lose, but unfortunately for them, that's exactly what happened. Before UK was banned, the perts won everything. After his ban, They got an abysmal 1-2-1 record. The perts eventually swapped bandrrizlelol and lugia_numair in OU and they did well. all while bandrizzlelol was still being able to support whoever got put into monotype. if UK wasn't banned he would have probs been 6-2 as well. bdl and lugia got the second ou slot record up to 5-3 which is respectable (not counting the win from lugia against kii as that was a sub for frisoeva and not UK).

Dandaman proved again that proper support can get you a very, VERY long way. Winning against feliburn, arce9 and gorex was great, but unfortunately for him he had to swallow his first BLT loss against Sensei Axew. Still, this 3-1 record was exactly what the perts needed for their RU slot. lugia_numair had a surprise win against kii, and with his positive record in time of need, he can look back to this blt with a smile. Thunderbirds went neutral in monotype, beating Maki's Fox and maroon, and losing against mainers in decem and dugza. All in all, this is also a very good run for him.

Most of the swamperts went at least neutral, but there were 3 players who had to boot a negative record. TMM struggled immensely and settled at 2-6 in UU, with their only wins being against snofall and ORAS-Mega. UU was kinda close skillwise but I would have expected him to go at least neutral. This might have been a bad stroke of luck or lack of motivation, but I'm not sure. HellRayquaza1 didn't stand a chance against stronger opponents in 3 different tiers and went winless, just as Valletta did against mainers in RU.

In the semifinals, They got wins against the hatterenes in DOU, NU and LC, while the hatterenes took OU, UU, RU and Monotype. On the last day, ewin and friso were subbed out for not playing on the scheduled time, with both being at fault, and lugia got the aforementioned surprise win against kii, which was what they needed to have a second chance in the tiebreak. The swamperts chose NU and the hatterenes picked UU. NU was a bit of a wierd pick for the swamperts since despite ok132 being 2-0 against confide in BLT (and confide in general having a poor record), neither of those wins were completely clean. Ok called both wins against confide "a lucky one" in their winposts, meaning the win wasn't guaranteed in that tier. I think they might have had more luck if they chose LC or DOU, but I'm not sure what the reasoning of the perts was when picking their own tier. In the end, confide won from ok132 and electric win beat frisoeva, and the run of the perts was over.

-Verdict:
If the perts still had UK, there would have been a big chance that they reached finals. That's the only thing I (and many others) see as the downfall of the swamperts. They had a solid team and were getting solid records, but the loss of one of their most pivotal players translated into the perts struggling for the rest of the tour. We will also be permanently banning Updated Kanto/10

Stay tuned for the rufflet's eulogy next week. It's finally hammertime hatterenes! Let's do this!!
93.3% gxe but I appreciate the over exaggeration :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)