Ability: Infiltrator
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Dragon Darts
- Phantom Force
- Dragon Dance

This Dragapult is a BUSTED late game cleaner and setup sweeper, I've been having a ton of fun with it

Yes, itemless is intentional

Sharing a team I've had sucess on the ladder with:

:gholdengo:-:heatran:-:landorus-therian:-:rotom-wash:-:corviknight:-:toxapex:

:gholdengo:
Gholdengo @ Leftovers
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Make It Rain
- Shadow Ball
- Recover
- Nasty Plot

Normal type to beat opposing :gholdengo: and you completely wall Flying :sneasler: since they can't get rid of the white herb if you just go into the CC immunity every time and acro will stay weak. If they proc white herb off :landorus-therian:'s Intimidate, :gholdengo: can still beat it. Also handles some versions of :iron valiant: incase :toxapex: fails or they have Psychic coverage. Physical :enamorus:is also walled.

:heatran:
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Magma Storm
- Lava Plume/Power Gem
- Earth Power

Standard specially defensive :heatran:, Grass type lets it take on Water types like :greninja::walking wake::rotom-wash: You also check Steel :zapdos: which is its most common variant. This can generally 1v1 most special attackers that don't have super effective STAB. Lava Plume is better against bulkier teams by spreading burn onto things like :clodsire: while Power Gem is better against tera Flying/Grass Fire types like :iron moth::heatran::skeledrige::volcarona:

:landorus-therian:
Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Steel/Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Rest/Psychic/Sandsear Storm/Stone Edge/Taunt

I initially had Steel on this but then changed it to Water bc Ground :volcanion: was a huge problem for the team, Water/Ground/Flying also has the bonus of checking Electric :urshifu-rapid-strike: This is very typical :landorus-therian: so I'll just explain the 4th move slot: Rest helps with longevity and the aforementioned :volcanion:, Psychic OHKOs :sneasler: and 2HKOs :great tusk:, Sandsear Storm helps spread burn and Stone Edge can snag some KOs on Flying types. If running Taunt, go 31 IVs and 4 EVs in speed

:rotom-wash:
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Fairy
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Foul Play

Probably one of the best defensive mons in this meta, Electric/Water/Fairy with Levitate walls two of the scariest physical attackers :kingambit::baxcalibur: and many other mons like :samurott-hisui::greninja::great tusk:, though you should beware that you will lose about 50% of your health if they choose to stay in and attack until they die so make sure it stays sufficiently healthy so you don't auto lose to Flying :kingambit: . Also even though you can easily 1v1 :great tusk:, in practice you get knocked off on the switch. Beware of :heatran:, despite resisting all of its moves, Hydro Pump doesn't do much back and Magma Storm chip adds up quickly, especially if :heatran: switched in on Willo

:corviknight:
Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Water
Impish Nature
- Iron Head/Brave Bird
- Roost
- U-turn
- Defog

Hazard remover, checks some versions of physical :iron valiant:, Pressure is also very helpful for some mons that are basically unbeatable for this team without PP stall like :garganacl:, not much to stay here, it's a very average :corviknight: set

:toxapex:
Toxapex @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes/Toxic/Baneful Bunker
- Recover
- Infestation

Primary check to Electric :iron valiant:, also the most important pokemon for dealing with :garganacl: as Regenerator is crucial to PP stalling Salt Cure. Toxic can help wear down things like :landorus-therian:, :great tusk: and :garchomp: (you obviously live both their SE stabs), while TSpike is better in some matchups. Pex do what Pex do and with Ground it can easily wall :arcanine-hisui: (If they double edge you take like 55% and have 3 resists to switch to). HDB is used bc spike stacking teams with :samurott-hisui: are fairly common

SUUUUIIIIIIIIIIIII (Cinderace) (M) @ Charcoal
Ability: Blaze
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 80 HP / 160 Atk / 50 Def / 50 SpD / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pyro Ball
- Acrobatics
- Trailblaze
- Bulk Up

I See You. (Sandy Shocks) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Protosynthesis
EVs: 80 HP / 70 Def / 203 SpA / 70 SpD / 85 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Earth Power
- Iron Defense
- Flash Cannon

Waka Waka (Farigiraf) (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Armor Tail
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 80 HP / 110 Def / 145 SpA / 110 SpD / 63 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic

CHOCOLATE!! (Clodsire) (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Water Absorb
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 80 HP / 200 Atk / 80 Def / 80 SpD / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Trailblaze
- Stealth Rock
- Poison Jab

Lightsaber (Iron Valiant) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 80 HP / 70 Def / 108 SpA / 70 SpD / 180 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Ice Punch
- Aura Sphere

Go My Child (Dragapult) (M) @ Figy Berry
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 80 HP / 138 Atk / 50 Def / 50 SpD / 190 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Agility
- Phantom Force
- U-turn
- Dragon Claw

Last edited:
I've been playing this meta for a bit and this team has been pretty good for me. I haven't really seen some of these mons being used on other team submissions.

:volcanion: :hatterene: :magnezone: :garganacl: :scizor: :dondozo:

Bulky AV :volcanion: (Ground) is a good Wallbreaker. It also completely shuts down Rotom Wash so if your opponent has a Rotom, you will have a great matchup against them.

Max Defense Max HP :hatterene: (Water) is pretty good in general. It's the teams stall matchup as it can setup on Stall Mons quite easily. It also denies hazards from :ting-lu: :garchomp: :landorus-therian: and :clodsire: and is able to 1v1 them in certian cases. Nuzzle is there to cripple mons like Heatran and Gholdengo and it has a lot of pp so you can have a better matchup against stall. Water is just a good defensive tera type. It beats Iron Defense :zamazenta: and can live a few hits from full if you need it to (electric thunderbolt :iron valiant: for example).

Fast Specs :magnezone: (Flying) is great for getting rid of bulky steel types, including :corviknight:, :heatran:, and even :iron treads: sometimes. Also, any other mon that adds steel to their typing should beware (:zapdos:). It can also live a hit from electric :iron valiant: and OHKO it back.

Max Spdf Max HP :garganacl: (Grass) is great for being able to take 2 hits from opposing non-specs :volcanion:. Grass is a good typing against Ground and Water. Salt Cure is just an annoying move that can wear down your opponents mons. It also beats all the ghost spam like :dragapult: :zoroark-hisui: but loses to :gholdengo: make it rain. Protect is there to gather extra Salt Cure chip and heal yourself up some more. Stealth Rock is just a good move in general I guess.

Bulky :choice band: :scizor: (Fairy) is a good lead against :samurott-hisui: and :ting-lu:. Fairy is a good type to resist Fighting from Sneasler and can usually OHKO it after some chip with Bullet Punch. Bullet Punch is good in general against :baxcalibur: and :enamorus: and U-turn is good for momentum. Night Slash can hit :Gholdengo: or Poison :Cresselia: for as much damage as possible. Defog is useful for hazards (like from Ceaseless Edge or T-Spikes from :glimmora:).

And finally :dondozo: (Dark) with (:leftovers: / :covert cloak:) Initially I had an :Arcanine-Hisui: on this team but my :kingambit: counterplay was limited. So I decided to just switch it out for :dondozo:. Dark resists both of :kingambit:'s stabs as well as :gholdengo:'s stabs, and can beat Calm Mind Covert Cloak Poison :cresselia: 1v1. Covert cloak is to prevent spdf drops but it could also be useful against :garganacl: salt cure. Body Press and Liquidation are needed to hit ghost and water absorb mons respectively.

Also, peak is #17 at 1381

Attachments

Last edited:

Glory

formerly TaxFraud
is a Pre-Contributor
Bonus Type council has held a vote, with the following result:
kennTaxFraudHightideResults
King's RockBanBanBan3-0-0 BAN
:kings rock:
King's Rock is now BANNED!
King's Rock in tandem with multi-hit moves can allow threats like Baxcalibur and Cloyster to bypass their checks, resulting in situations where there is no consistent counterplay. Because of the purely RNG nature of this item, it was deemed unhealthy and has been unanimously banned
Tagging Kris to implement

Sample submissions are now open! Feel free to post any teams that you have made, along with a short explanation of the sets and how the team plays. Replays and screenshots of your ladder peaks are greatly appreciated, but not mandatory.

Glory

formerly TaxFraud
is a Pre-Contributor
Welp double post because I'm going to kick off the sample submissions. Buckle up, this will be a long one.
Choice Band Arcanine-Hisui Balance
:arcanine-hisui: :great tusk: :volcanion: :rotom-wash: :slowking-galar: :kingambit:

I have optimized this team a disgusting amount. The majority of the main details can be found in my previous post covering the precursor to this team, but I will be recanting them again for posterity's sake.
Screenshot 2023-08-08 7.56.01 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-08 7.56.39 PM.png

Every game was played with these six mons. The first loss was against my aforementioned precursor to this team, only losing because of losing Volcanion speed tie (before I updated the spread). Second loss was due to choking in a rough matchup. Overall a good run and proof enough of the effectiveness of the team.

:arcanine-hisui:
Hisuian Arcanine is the centerpiece of the team, acting as the primary revenge killer and breaker. Despite this, it's probably the mon that is on the field for the least number of turns on average, as it needs to be brought in carefully, and needs to switch out upon getting a KO more often than not. In positions where you are threatening an espeed KO, it is best to guage how the opponent reacts before committing to aggressive reads. Most teams' best method of handling Arcanine is predict its moves and pivot to resistances. This can often be taken advantage of, leading to getting free KOs. Against teams with (Ground) Dondozo :dondozo:, you should either play towards getting Future Sight set up with Slowking, or weakening Dondozo with Kingambit, depending on the opponent's team and the current game state. It cannot be overstated how important Extreme Speed is to the security of this team, being especially crucial in playing around mixed Iron Valiant :iron valiant:, Meowscarada :meowscarada:, (Flying) Sneasler :sneasler:, Lilligant-Hisui :lilligant-hisui:, and Volcarona :volcarona:, as the team has no consistent defensive counterplay to these threats.

:great tusk:
Great Tusk acts as the team's primary physical wall and hazard control. Able to check opposing Arcanine :arcanine-hisui:, Great Tusk :great tusk:, (Ghost) Kingambit :kingambit:, and a multitude of other threats. The given EV spread hits 244 Speed, allowing you to outspeed Iron Valiant (364 Speed) after a boost from Rapid Spin, as well as hitting other useful speed thresholds like Modest Volcanion :volcanion: (239 Speed). Knock Off allows you to wear down switches like (Flying) Gholdengo :gholdengo:, Rotom-Wash :rotom-wash:, Dondozo :dondozo:, and Corviknight :corviknight:. This is especially helpful for allowing Arcanine to more effectively break open defensive cores. Keeping hazards off can be incredibly important against bulkier teams, giving you as many opportunies as possible to muscle through opposing walls. Playing aggressively against opposing balance is extremely helpful for allowing you to get as many opportunities to click Knock Off as possible.

:volcanion:
Volcanion is an absolutely phenomenal wallbreaker with very limited checks. Being able to abuse common defensive staples as entry points to repeatedly throw off powerful attacks. Great natural bulk coupled with a stellar defensive profile means that few things genuinely threaten Volcanion, and even fewer are comfortable switching into it. Taunt allows you to shut down would-be counters like Blissey :blissey: and (Flying) Toxapex :toxapex:, while also providing good utility to prevent things like hazards. 172 Speed EVs hits 219 Speed, outrunning defensive Landorus-Therian :landorus-therian: and Jolly Kingambit :kingambit:. 24 HP EVs always lives Jolly Great Tusk :great tusk: Earthquake, and putting the rest into SpDef allows you to always live unboosted (Grass) Volcarona :volcarona: Giga Drain. This spread cannot be optimized any more without reducing damage output, as you cannot change the EVs without reducing SpA or missing out on one of the aforementioned thresholds.

Rotom-Wash is one of the foremost presences in the metagame, and for good reason too. On this team it acts as the primary check to Baxcalibur :baxcalibur:, Garchomp :garchomp:, Ice Spinner Great Tusk :great tusk:, Greninja :greninja:, (Dark) Iron Valiant :iron valiant:, (Ghost) Kingambit :kingambit:, Samurott-Hisui :samurott-hisui:, Walking Wake :walking wake:, Zamazenta :zamazenta:, and Urshifu-Rapid :urshifu-rapid-strike:. There are various other threats that it checks in tandem with other teammates, such as Azumarill :azumarill: or Landorus-Therian :landorus-therian:. I find that Protect is crucial for longevity, as the massive list of things that Rotom switches into leads to it getting heavily worn down over a long game, and this doesn't even mention the other benefits that Protect provides, such as scouting Choice attackers or stalling for additional passive damage. Rotom is also very important in breaking down sturdy defensive cores by spreading burn with Will-O-Wisp, racking up additional passive damage and providing more opportunities to attack. 16 Speed EVs hits 212 Speed, outspeeding uninvested Great Tusk :great tusk: (210 Speed), as well as speed creeping other Pokemon that attempt to hit the same threshold, like defensive Gholdengo :gholdengo:. 80 SpDef gives great odds to avoid a 2HKO from Choice Specs Walking Wake :walking wake: in Sun, with the rest put into Def to better check the myriad physical threats you will be switching into.

:slowking-galar:
Slowking serves as the team's primary (only) special wall and checks the majority of special attackers pretty consistently, even with a disadvantageous type matchup. Future Sight is able to enable Kingambit and Arcanine to become more efficient wallbreakers, due to threatening the physical walls that check them. Flamethrower is necessary to check Gholdengo :gholdengo: and (Steel) Zapdos :zapdos:. The last move slot is flexible, with Surf hitting Fire types and punishing most Ground types. Ice Beam alternatively hits Garchomp :garchomp:, (Flying) Great Tusk :great tusk:, and (Ground) Enamorus :enamorus: harder. Focus Blast may seem odd, but it enables Slowking to punish (Grass) Heatran :heatran: more than any other options, preventing it from walling you. The given 16 Def allows you to survive Meowscarada's :meowscarada: Knock Off, and by extension Ceaseless Edge from Samurott-Hisui :samurott-hisui:. 108 SpDef always avoids the 2HKO from Volcanion's :volcanion: Earth Power, and the rest is put into SpA to reduce passivity.

:kingambit:
Rounding out the squad, Kingambit is the team's primary cleaner and sweeper, while checking several key threats courtesy of its stellar defensive profile and strong priority. Notably, Kingambit is able to help check Dragapult :dragapult:, Enamorus :enamorus:, Garchomp :garchomp:, Gholdengo :gholdengo:, Meowscarada :meowscarada:, Ursaluna :ursaluna:, and Walking Wake :walking wake:. A bulkier EV spread is used on this team to maximize defensive utility. 20 Speed EVs acts as useful speed creep for other Kingambit :kingambit:. 36 SpDef EVs allows Kingambit to always survive (Fire) Dragapult's :dragapult: Fire Blast, allowing for a potential Swords Dance or to switch in in a pinch. The primary reason for Kingambit over Samurott-Hisui is because of the far superior defensive profile, and to have an additional Toxic immunity, as the team would struggle to switch into Toxapex or Clodsire otherwise.

I was originally gonna include a second team in this post but it's long enough as is...

Last edited:
I feel like I’d want to give a Pokémon that’s really cool but always low tier in the competitive department due to its stats such as Decidueye.If it had a dual terra type like water ground or fairy steel it’d be quite a menace with its move pool with Tera blast added assuming it’d take the fairy terra as its type combined with Knock Off,Spirit Shackle,Tera Blast,and maybe a flying or grass move on top whatever suits it best would be rather interesting.
What I’d also like to see is like terastal forms for all three of the paldea starters since they don’t really get much outside of their moves which are busted as baloney.Maybe for the terastal forms types Quaquaval being Electric,Skeledurge being Tera Dragon or Bug and Meowscarada being Tera fairy or something else interesting

Hi everyone, I would like to post a team here for sample team consideration.

Iron Moth Stall
:blissey: - :corviknight: - :toxapex: - :ting-lu: - :gholdengo: - :iron-moth:

The premise behind this team was to create a Balance team similar to this one from Generation 6-7. I wanted to have a strong, defensive backbone that could support a sweeper with minimal set-up required. I also took some inspiration from various iterations of stall teams I have seen on ladder, most of which I believe are inspired by TaxFraud's original post.

:iron-moth:
In this spot, I wanted a fast, Special sweeper, but few met all the requirements for what I was looking for (access to CM, grass-type, etc). I decided to use Iron Moth because its ability to threaten bulky Fire, Steel, Water, and Ground types all in one package. It can check Pokemon that can break the Blissey + Corviknight core, such as Curse Ground Dondozo (:dondozo:).

:Blissey:
Blissey is this team's primary Special Wall. It serves as a catch-all counter to most Special Attackers in this tier, such as CM Iron Valiant (:iron-valiant:), CM Cresselia (:cresselia:), Slowking-Galar (:slowking-galar:), Walking Wake (:Walking-Wake:), and Volcanion (:Volcanion:). In some cases, it can also be used to defeat certain sweepers that Toxapex has trouble with, such as Ground Enamorus (:enamorus:). I tested various moves in place of Calm Mind, such as Seismic Toss and Thunder Wave, but none of these moves actually help advance Blissey's role as a Special Wall further. On rare occassions, Blissey also acts as this team's spin-blocker.

:Corviknight:
Corviknight is this team's primary Physical Wall, and it forms a nice core with Blissey (:Blissey:). It can be used to deal with Physical attackers, such as SD Kingambit (:Kingambit:), Zamazenta (:Zamazenta:), and Ursaluna (:Ursaluna:).

:Ting-lu:
Ting-lu is an excellent mixed wall, and it has access to Stealth Rock, Whirlwind, and Spikes. This makes it a great secondary win condition, especially against offensive teams that are not prepared to deal with hazard stacking teams.

:Toxapex:
Toxapex is this team's secondary Physical Wall. Because of Haze, it also serves a counter to important set-up sweepers in this tier, such as QD Volcarona (:Volcarona:). In some situations, Toxapex can also be used to deal with certain stallbreakers, such as Heatran (:Heatran:). It can also make up for match-ups that Corviknight pairs unfavorably against, such as SD Ghost Kingambit (:Kingambit:) with Leftovers.
Previous iterations of this team used Toxic Spikes, instead of Toxic. However, I found Toxic to be more reliable in dealing with Flying-types and forcing set-up sweepers out.
Dark-type Toxapex is a possibility, but I have not tested it to determine its efficacy against Future Sight users and Kingambit, yet.

:Gholdengo:
Gholdengo is the premier Defog and Spin Blocker of this generation, which can be used to allow Ting-lu (:Ting-lu:) to stack Stealth Rocks and Spikes on the opponent's side of the field. Covert Cloak is an absolute necessity to defeat Garganacl (:Garganacl:), which can otherwise stop this team in its tracks.

1692132263702.png

1692132270207.png

Last edited:
Going to discuss two options I haven’t seen much of.

Haxorus @ Focus Sash (or whatever
Ability: Mold Breaker
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Dragon Claw

Haxorus is a monster. Once you get a DD in it’s basically game over if you’ve gotten some chip damage in on opposing tanks. This set hits nearly everything for neutral coverage. Importantly it wrecks most Garganacls, very few resist steel. Its main weaknesses are ghost/steel combos. Also Iron Valiant with booster energy speed is faster than it, so that’s a problem. Still, I win games consistently on this thing. The typing is solid too, it can come in on a lot of stuff and set up in their face.Pretty straightforward, but a fun wincon.

Iron Hands @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Close Combat
- Thunder Punch

Fairy type Hariyama. This thing definitely has some checks but I enjoy it. It’s verybulky and can cause problems for teams. Its main checks are Clodsire variants and anything really bulky that it can’t hit for SE damage (ghost/rock Garg). I like to lead with it because it’s a pretty good catch all and its checks tend to check Haxorus, so if I can weaken them that’s a plus. Iron valiant does beat this, but no one starts with it and it can’t switch in without taking serious damage.

kenn

Prince of the Halidom
is a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Okay while the thread has seemed to die down as the month is nearing its end, I have news that may change up the metagame yet again!

:volcanion::sv/volcanion::volcanion:
Volcanion has been BANNED from Bonus Type!
kenn​
TaxFraud​
Hightide​
Results​
Volcanion​
Ban​
Ban​
Ban​
3-0-0 BANNED
Iron Valiant​
No Ban​
No Ban​
No Ban​
0-3-0
NO BAN
Kingambit​
Abstain​
No Ban​
Ban​
1-1-1​
NO BAN

:volcanion:
The reason this was deemed too much by the council was its innate ability to easily cover its most commonest Bonus Type's weaknesses extremely well by nature of its own type in combination with its ability, Water Absorb. On top of all that, it also has the bulk to live most neutral hits on both sides of the spectrum which meant for slower mons that if it wasn't faster than Volcanion, it would struggle to either damage it or even live a hit as Volcanion was strong enough to dish out severe damage itself.

:iron valiant::kingambit:
As for these two, we weren't entirely sure on these 2, but they came up in the same discussion as Volcanion so we voted on them and deemed Iron Valiant to be perfectly fine while Kingambit is a bit more on the fence for the rest of us. For the latter specifically, we thought that maybe Volcanion going could make Rotom more effective as a check to Kingambit, which is at least why I abstained because I am stuck dead in the middle of whether or not I feel it is healthy or not.

I know we only have about a week left of being Leader's Choice but I wanna thank all of y'all for enjoying this and submitting sample teams (even if some are now invalid after this ban) and hopefully we can finish this month out strong! :swole:

Tagging Kris to implement

Glory

formerly TaxFraud
is a Pre-Contributor
With my last team submission now being outdated with the ban of Volcanion (you can run Grass Heatran over it but it's not as good) I have decided to share another team.

:iron valiant: :slowking-galar: :corviknight: :ting-lu: :kingambit: :dragapult:
:iron valiant: :slowking-galar: :corviknight: :ting-lu: :kingambit: :walking wake:
This version might honestly be better after the Volcanion ban, as Volc was one of Wake's best offensive checks. Brave Bird -> Body Press on Corv since you no longer have Dragapult to help vs Harc, and is also beneficial against Baxcalibur.
immutablepeak.png

s/o to Justwant2see because I forgot to get a screenshot of this myself lmao. Terrible GXE as a result of testing a bunch of memes

:sv/iron valiant:
The team's most important member by a considerable margin, Iron Valiant is a very potent sweeper against offensive teams, and an incredible progress maker in tandem with hazard support from Ting-Lu, with Knock Off removing crucial items from the already limited switchins, especially Rotom-Wash. Encore gives the team incredible flexibility, letting you play around massive threats like Kingambit, or generate opportunities against defensive mons.

:sv/slowking-galar:
Quite self explanatory pick. Glowking is a premier pivot that checks a plethora of dangerous wallbreakers, most notably special Iron Valiant and Focus Blast Gholdengo. Thunder Wave is an option over Flamethrower to better check Sneasler, but isn't ideal against Flying or Air Balloon Gholdengo and leaves you vulnerable to Kingambit. Colbur Berry is chosen instead of an alternative like Heavy-Duty Boots to take on Sneasler and act as a backup for physical Iron Valiant.

:sv/corviknight:
Another standard pivot. Corv checks monsters like Baxcalibur and physical Iron Valiant, while providing the team's only hazard removal. Brave Bird is preferred over Body Press to hit Great Tusk, Iron Valiant, and Sneasler harder. Rocky Helmet reduces passivity but Leftovers works too.

:sv/ting-lu:
Ting-Lu provides stability vs Gholdengo, Dragapult, and (Ghost) Kingambit. Spikes and Rocks along with Iron Valiant's Knock Off can quickly wear down bulkier teams, and Whirlwind is always a great tool to have. Being able to pressure (Ghost) Kingambit is very helpful as Iron Valiant isn't able to easily revenge kill it, unlike the Flying variants.

:sv/kingambit:
Kingambit is a potent offensive threat that provides immense defensive utility due to it being able to revenge kill a large number of pokemon, and its typing and bulk gives it the capability to withstand at least one attack from the majority of the common offensive threats. A Jolly nature is run instead of Adamant to consistently outrun opposing Kingambit, as well as to get the jump on a plethora of defensive pokemon: Heatran, Rotom-W, Landorus-Therian, Great Tusk, and Gholdengo. Low Kick gives extra security against (Flying) Kingambit and hits (Water) Great Tusk harder than Iron Head, while doing more to most Dark types.

:sv/dragapult:
Pult rounds out the offensive core, with its massive speed being a major tool when it comes to playing around big threats. Water is chosen over Fire because of the latter's weakness to Stealth Rock and neutrality to opposing Water types. Pult is also very important when playing around Arcanine-Hisui because of its quad resistance to Fire and immunity to Normal, allowing to to revenge kill it and pivot in against non-Head Smash attacks.

no replays because I don't feel like finding them

Dunfan

formerly Dunsparce Fanboy
Apologies for the one-liner, but as the meta doesn't impact sleep moves in the slightest compared to normal play, sleep moves clause should be freed for regular sleep clause, shouldn't it?
Specifically, sleep clause would allow for mons such as Toedscruel, Amoonguss, and Brute Bonnet to have a niche, which might contribute to the meta's diversity.

kenn

Prince of the Halidom
So I have some news for those who enjoy Bonus Type and that is...
:darkrai::sv/darkrai::darkrai::shaymin-sky::sv/shaymin-sky::shaymin-sky:
Darkrai and Shaymin-Sky are BANNED from Bonus Type!
kennTaxFraudHightideResults
DarkraiBANBANBAN3-0-0 Ban
Shaymin-SkyBANBANBAN3-0-0 Ban
BaxcaliburDNBDNBBAN1-2-0 Do Not Ban
ManaphyDNBDNBDNB0-3-0 Do Not Ban
These two have proven they have what it takes to be given an extra type inch and take a damn mile!​

:darkrai:
Darkrai having the ability to gain STAB on Sludge Bomb, allowing it to really harm Fairies, while also having a fantastic Special Attack and Speed tier combo coupled Nasty Plot proved to be too much from the so few room tours we had.
:shaymin-sky:
Skymin already being a nuisance with Serene Grace boosted Seed Flares and Air Slashes was just pushed over the top by having access to gaining STAB on its common coverage move, Earth Power. It could gain a "better" Bonus Type in Fairy and use Dazzling Gleam if it so chose to. All this in conjunction with Skymin already starting off being a big thorn in the metagame's side proved to be too much and it subsequently got the banhammer.
:baxcalibur::manaphy:
As for these two, they were brought up in discussion but deemed okay for now as there hasn't been too much post-DLC development of Bonus Type to truly determine if Baxcalibur gaining Scale Shot makes it too good for Bonus Type or not. Manaphy also has a similar issue in just the meta needing to develop and see if it is gonna be too much for Bonus Type so they may be revisited in the future.

Other than that, lemme know what post-DLC options you have found and what they can gain from a bonus type (see what I did there? Lol)

Tagging Kris to implement!

IMPORTANT EDIT:
I forgot to throw in :razor fang: as well as it is as uncompetitive as King's Rock and that is banned so yeah...s/o to TaxFraud for the reminder lol

Last edited:

Glory

formerly TaxFraud
is a Pre-Contributor
Gonna add some of my thoughts now that we've had a few more roomtours

:baxcalibur:
I haven't seen enough of this lad being used but in theory it kinda just beats everything. Not a fan.

:pelipper: :damp rock:
Rain got a better with a few new tools. Zapdos getting Weather Ball makes it a menace to switch into, Manaphy does Manaphy things, and a lot of the swift swimmers got access to Flip Turn. We'll have to see how this pans out but it seems very strong.

:manaphy:
Speaking of Manaphy, it has a lot of fun options for a bonus type, like Fairy, Grass, Steel, Ground. It just has a ton of options and sets with Tail Glow and Take Heart having completely different counterplay, not to mention potentially being in Rain.

:tornadus-therian:
Regaining Knock Off means that it can actually do something now, a RegenVest set seems quite decent with Steel or Ground bonus types granting a neutrality to Stealth Rock, as well as some great resistances.

:clefable:
Clef is back babyyyy. Bonus type Fire, Water, Steel, and Poison (maybe even Electric) all seem very nice with great resistances and the signature longevity that Clef provides. We also finally have a decent option to pass Wish!

:kingambit:
Didn't gain anything new (RIP Knock Off Bisharp) but is still just the best mon around for the insane versatility that it brings on a game to game basis. Utterly ridiculous mon.

edit:
Apologies for the one-liner, but as the meta doesn't impact sleep moves in the slightest compared to normal play, sleep moves clause should be freed for regular sleep clause, shouldn't it?
Specifically, sleep clause would allow for mons such as Toedscruel, Amoonguss, and Brute Bonnet to have a niche, which might contribute to the meta's diversity.
no.

Last edited:

kenn

Prince of the Halidom
Hey guys! Quick little update, but with the Indigo Disk DLC looming, the council decided to allow one Pokemon the chance to roam free again as we felt it wasn't too terrible in terms of the power level jump that happened between last generation and this one. So without further ado...
:dragonite::sv/dragonite::dragonite:
Dragonite has been UNBANNED!
kennTaxFraudHightideResult
:dragonite:UNBANUNBANUNBAN3-0-0 UNBAN
Dragonite can struggle due to its subpar base typing and insufficient coverage to hit everything it needs to at once. Hisuian Arcanine is powerful competition due to its incrediblely powerful STAB combo of Head Smash and Flare Blitz backing up its Extreme Speeds. In addition, the council has felt that Sun and Rain have been getting somewhat out of hand, and believe that freeing Dragonite will help keep these teams in check.
We hope that you are just as excited for the new DLC coming soon and what Pokemon it potentially brings to Bonus Type!
Tagging KaenSoul to implement!

Glory

formerly TaxFraud
is a Pre-Contributor
wait, it's been nearly three months since the Indigo Disk dropped? It's about time for a little bit of discussion in that case.
New Mons
kenn's currently on a leave of absence at the moment so the banlist hasn't been updated yet. We have discussed the new bans though so here's what they are.
:deoxys:
:deoxys-attack:
:ho-oh:
:kyurem-black:
:kyurem-white:
:lugia:
:lunala:
:necrozma-dawn-wings:
:necrozma-dusk-mane:
:reshiram:
:solgaleo:
:zekrom:
:archaludon:
Top of the radar, and very likely to get action soon. Flying, Fairy, Electric and whatever other bonus type you want is extremely powerful. I think rain was already borderline overwhelming and Arch really takes it to the next level.
:gouging fire:
Another likely broken. It can use multiple different, potent bonus types. Flying can shut down a lot of traditional counterplay like Great Tusk, Ground provides very appreciated STAB on Earthquake, and Fairy just gives great general defensive utility. Good defensive answers are pretty much limited to Rock move Landorus-T and Great Tusk, Power Gem Heatran (with Flying bonus type), and—of course—Dondozo. At the very least it can be kept in check by a lot of the good revenge killers.
:iron boulder:
Earthquake or Close Combat boosted by STAB is a really nice boon for Iron Boulder, and the immense prevalence of Flying-types within the meta means it is certain to be a major threat.
:kyurem:
Kyurem is finally able to get rid of its crippling weakness to Stealth Rock by adding a Ground- or Steel-type (Fighting if you're into that.) Very few defensive mons are able to stand up to Kyurem, especially with STAB Earth Power, but this hardly sets it apart when we have Harcanine and Urshifu-R. Unlike those though, Kyurem has some absolutely ridiculous bulk and it can really change what can offensively check it with a couple choices for its bonus type (Fairy and Poison seem especially nice, on top of the aforementioned Steel and Ground.) I'm certainly curious to see how Kyurem will shape up in the meta.
:primarina:
Nice new options for sure to improve its defensive profile, but doesn't really seem too noteworthy.
:raging bolt:
Fairy and Flying for general use, Fire and Water for STAB Weather Ball. Seems like just another potent breaker.
:serperior:
No Tera Blast or Hidden Power. Awful matchup fish at best.
:skarmory:
Corviknight but with Spikes and Whirlwind. Not much else to say.
:blaziken:
Blaziken seems really nice, but it's also just another option for Sun to abuse which you hate to see.
:deoxys-speed:
I think we found our new HO staple. Lead sets seem as effective as usual, but offensive sets get a really nice boost with STAB on whatever coverage move it desires.
:hydrapple:
I guess Steel seems decent? Probably will be an afterthought for the most part though.
:iron crown:
Not really much of note over vanilla.
:keldeo:
See above.
:latias:
Fairy seems like a decent Stored Power sweeper for screens HO, and Steel probably has some nice defensive uses.
:latios:
Electric, Fighting, or Ghost for STAB on their associated coverage move most likely, or something to limit revenge killers.
:pecharunt:
Another boring mon that doesn't really do much in the meta besides sit there.

Notable Returning Mons
:heatran:
Despite not gaining any notable new moves, everything seemed to go in Heatran's favor with the new additions. With Flying as its bonus type it can consistently check Gouging Fire, Kyurem, Dragonite, Baxcalibur, Volcarona, Enamorus and opposing Heatran, on top of the very valuable traits it already had. I really cannot praise this mon enough. The only thing is: run Boots, not Leftovers please.
It was already great but now with Pain Split it can stay alive even longer.
:weavile:
With Triple Axel Weavile finally has a place in the meta. Sadly there are a lot of common options that make life difficult for it but I think Weavile will still have its niche.
:pelipper: :torkoal:
Putting these together since both weathers got a lot of really powerful tools when neither really needed it. Tiering action on these two is likely to happen in the future.

Potential Unbans
:roaring moon: :volcanion:
These two are definitely staying banned. If anything they've gotten stronger since the bans, Roaring Moon certainly has. These two are just too powerful and too restrictive to be freed.
:darkrai:
Maybe it's worth another shot but I personally don't want it in the meta.

:urshifu:

I think Urshifu is definitely worth freeing. Its inclusion on the initial banlist made perfect sense, it's Urshifu for christ's sake! But with the way the meta has turned out, I think it would most likely be a welcome inclusion. There's so many top-tier pokemon that are really big hindrances for Urshifu. Flying Great Tusk has been been incredibly common and good, and it stuffs both STABs. There's a plethora of great Fairy-types that make it difficult to spam its STABs, and a lot of them don't care too much about even STAB Iron Head or Poison Jab. This isn't even getting into the issues it faces dealing with the offensive side of the meta. I personally think the pool of physical breakers is a little lacklustre at the moment, and Urshifu would be a good addition, also giving us a nice offensive check to Kingambit and Gholdengo too.

But there is one problematic thing worth addressing with Urshifu. Its synergy with Future Sight is absolutely incredible, and has very limited counterplay. If there is any reason for Urshifu to stay banned, this is it.

a couple teams I've built:
:torkoal: :gouging fire: :walking wake: :lilligant-hisui: :iron treads: :blaziken:
:iron valiant: :dragonite: :kingambit: :landorus-therian: :slowking: :heatran:
:weavile: :rotom-wash: :enamorus: :corviknight: :heatran: :kyurem:
:rotom-wash: :kyurem: :dragonite: :gholdengo: :great tusk: :slowking-galar:
:skarmory: :weavile: :great tusk: :slowking-galar: :iron valiant: :arcanine-hisui:
:dragapult: :gliscor: :kingambit: :dondozo: :clefable: :slowking-galar:
:gouging fire: :glimmora: :kingambit: :volcarona: :dragonite: :enamorus:
:kingambit: :excadrill: :hippowdon: :skarmory: :rotom-wash: :kyurem:
:pelipper: :archaludon: :raging bolt: :barraskewda: :iron treads: :kingambit:

edit: more teams :D

Last edited:

Glory

formerly TaxFraud
is a Pre-Contributor
I think an explanation about how Stellar type is supposed to work here is due to explain why this is broken.
I just copied the list from somewhere else and wasn't sure how Terapagos or Stellar would work so I didn't remove it.
On that note, Stellar type does not do anything. It's entirely cosmetic as far as I can tell. And Terapagos will change to Terapagos-Terastal, but nothing else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)