Bulky Support Heatran [QC 1/2][GP 0/1] (needs edits for Reg E)

[SET]
name: Bulky Support
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Will-O-Wisp / Taunt
move 3: Flash Cannon / Lava Plume
move 4: Lava Plume / Tera Blast / Earth Power / Taunt
item: Sitrus Berry / Air Balloon
tera type: Grass / Fairy
ability: Flame Body
nature: Bold / Modest
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]

* Heatran is a strong Stealth Rock user that doesn’t require the coveted Focus Sash to function.

* **Will-O-Wisp**: Will-O-Wisp punishes common checks such as Dragonite and Landorus-T and is excellent for giving Heatran's teammates early momentum.

* **Flash Cannon**: Flash Cannon gives you good damage into Dragonite, Flutter Mane, and Chien-Pao in one move.

* **Lava Plume**: Lava Plume is preferred over Magma Storm to guarantee damage and to make sure lead Chien-Pao's Focus Sash is broken, while the 30% burn chance and Flame Body ability still give Heatran a chance to finish it off.

* **Tera Blast**: Tera Blast let's Heatran take a more proactive role in defeating high value targets like Urshifu-R, either outright defeating them or making them easier to clean up later.

* **Bold versus Modest**: Despite having a x4 weakness to Ground-type moves, a Bold nature gives Heatran a 63.5% chance to survive Adamant Dragonite's unboosted Earthquake! On the other hand, max physical bulk with a Modest nature instead guarantees that Jolly Chien-Pao's Sacred Sword will trigger Sitrus Berry if held, always avoiding the 2HKO.

Other Options
========

* **Magma Storm**: Magma Storm has a better chance of knocking out Chien-Pao through its Focus Sash, but an early miss can be a devastating loss of momentum.

* **Heavy Slam**: Heavy Slam is harder to fit on support sets due to its fluctuating weight-based damage but it remains the best way to pressure Flutter Mane, which otherwise is less threatened by support sets.

Tera Types
========

* **Tera Dependency - Medium**: A Heatran fully invested in bulk takes hits very well, but it will often need Terastallization to deal with other common leads like Urshifu-R.

* **Grass**: Tera Grass gives a key Water- and Ground-type resistance and is the preferred option to stop Urshifu-R from using Surging Strikes; if Urshifu-R has to use a move not protected by Punching Gloves, it risks getting burned by Flame Body.

* **Fairy**: Tera Fairy removes Heatran's most common weaknesses while not making it vulnerable to Chien-Pao's Icicle Crash or Tera Flying Dragonite's Tera Blast.

Item Choices
========

* **Sitrus Berry**: Sitrus Berry's burst healing is strong on a bulky teammate like Heatran, especially against Chien-Pao.

* **Air Balloon**: Air Balloon temporarily circumvents Heatran's big x4 Ground-type weakness, potentially buying it a free turn to place Stealth Rocks or burn a key target.

* **Rocky Helmet**: Rocky Helmet can combine with Flame Body to punish contact attackers even harder, in particular breaking Focus Sash on Chien-Pao.

Last edited:

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just got a minor nitpick for this!

- For the Modest vs Bold part, I think you should mention that the Modest spread still has massive Defense investment, because I think a lot of players will assume the Modest spread is Max SpA. Maybe a more specific spread for Modest is possible to mention, but that's up to you for now!

Otherwise, this looks good to me, QC Approved 1/1!

Just got a minor nitpick for this!

- For the Modest vs Bold part, I think you should mention that the Modest spread still has massive Defense investment, because I think a lot of players will assume the Modest spread is Max SpA. Maybe a more specific spread for Modest is possible to mention, but that's up to you for now!

Otherwise, this looks good to me, QC Approved 1/1!
Changed it to be a little more specific about what Modest nature means. I thought about adding an offensive spread but nearly every report spread I looked at was defensive. There isn't really a standard speedy EV spread for this and I wasn't sure what made the most sense (there was a spread to outspeed uninvested Uxie, for example, but that's very niche,) and Heatran is in sort of an awkward Speed tier where investment could easily qualify as Speed creep. I decided to keep it simple for now.

If this looks good, then this is ready for GP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)