Call for pokemon reform

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that I realized for quite a while is that a group of pokemon are constantly being used and they are the only pokemons used in battle most of the time. I believe these 49 pokemon are called Overused.
49/about 300 pokemon is about 16% being actually used. Whats the point of making new pokemon if only 16% will be used. 14 of the OU are 4th generation pokemon. I began researching as to why such a thing could happen and I found my answer to be common sense.

OU pokemon have such a big movepool. OU comeplete outclass other UU, NU simply because they have better stats, typing and can use same moves. Now gamefreak did do a nice job on the offensive side by make STAB, encouraging you to use the same type attacks, but what they did not complish was the defensive and support side. Stealth rock, recovery moves, DD, SD, etc...

Stealth Rock is a huge reason as to why many pokemon are not used. So many pokemon can use SR. SR cripples fire, ice, bug, and flying types and SR is the reason why there aren't many of the above mentioned types. There are exceptions though, like Mence who are weak to rocks and still appear in OU. DD, SD, and stat boosting moves are also a big problem. Pokemon with those moves outclass other attackers. Gyarados, Tyranitar and Lucario aren't even Dragon or Normal types and they can still use the moves. I think gamefreak should have a reason for giving support moves that are unresisted like DD and SD.

My solution is a reform similiar to the D/P reform of attacks. Pokemon should only be able to learn support attacks that are the same type as they are. You may think I'm crazy, but in this game there are too many pokemon with insane movepool.

Let's look at the result of this change. Stealth Rock would be only avaible to rock types. Right now, there are only 2 pokemon in OU that are rock types. It encourages more rock types to be played especially in a
Mence dominated metagame. If Mence gets banned, SR would be used less because Mence is the only frequently used OU that is weak to rocks at usage of 22%. If SR is less used, maybe an increase usage of fire, flying, ice, bug may occur. Right now only 8 pokemon in OU are weak to SR and only 2 of them are used frequently. Steel Types are also too dominant in OU. 4 Steels types are in the usage top 10 and 1 shortly follows at 12 and many more steels types are in OU. That tells us that SR maybe affect the metagame too drastically.

While I agree that the move Stealth Rock has completely unbalanced the entire game and made many pokemon much more difficult to use; there is no way gamefreak is going to make such huge changes to the movepools of so many pokemon. Your solution isn't a very good one.

Letting pokemon only have moves of their typing would be insane! You wouldn't have room to counter some types and the match would be people constantly switching out because they can't do anything due to NVE attacks.

inb4threadlock

No, seriously, you're not going to have a metagame where a couple hundred Pokemon are viable. Pokemon is not a perfectly balanced game. What good would limiting movepools do? Reducing the options that players have just make the game less interesting.

tl;dr version: Stealth Rock is bad and it is bad because it does bad things to the metagame and that makes the bad metagame bad.

Stealth Rock is a part of the metagame. Instead of eradicating it, try embracing it.

This is a terrible suggestion and you should feel bad for bringing it up. The entire point of having a movepool (and, by extension, Hidden Power at all) is to help a Pokemon diversify itself, and allow a Pokemon to face a greater variety of challenges with its ability to utilize moves of different types.

We're not changing up the game like that, but you're welcome to run a meta like that on your own server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)