ORAS Doubles OU Camel TR

Format stolen from one of Earthworm's rmts that I really enjoyed. u_u

Introduction
Hello! I have an essay due in 2 days and I don't want to do it so I'm making an rmt of a team I just made instead. It's based around Mega Camel because awhile back I was looking through my teams and I realized "shit none of my teams have anything for Camel+Amoongus trick room". So I tried making a team with that but it always turned into Stratos' team, a team that got 6-0ed by Talonflame or had no ground immunities. Out of frustration I added a Thundurus and everything else kinda fell into place :^)

---------------------------------------------
Camerupt-Mega (
) @ Cameruptite
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power
- Protect

Camerupt is undoubtedly one of the best trick room attackers you can have. This is mostly due to it being able to handle Aegislash very well which trick room usually has trouble with and it out speeds Amoongus(in trick room)which usually out speeds and spores most heavy hitters on trick room. Camerupt also has a stellar sun matchup when it is faster than everything and the sun is up. The set is just 252 252 to maximize bulk and power.

Thundurus (
) M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 40 SpA / 64 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Thundurus is not really something you tend to see on trick room. People usually use it to thunder wave everything so they can get free turns. I'm using it to beat the bulky waters that give Camerupt so much trouble and utilize priority taunt to help get my trick room up. The set avoids being 2HKOed by standard Rotom-Wash and has a lot of speed creep to out speed things that like to run 264-266.

Jellicent (
) @ Mental Herb/Colbur Berry, Kasib Berry if you're really feeling it. n_n
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Scald

Jelliecent is the bulkier setter on this team. It also switches into Keldeo and Kangaskhan with ease and can get up trick room. It's also nice for beating Heatran and Kyurem-B (if it doesn't get up a sub first). The set lets it survive 2 Mega-Diancie Diamond Storms. The item choice is really up in the air. Colbur berry and Mental Herb are probably more useful then Kasib though.

Bisharp (
) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Bisharp is there to beat Latios which can wall my Camel. It is also a great Aegislash switch in and counter and provides much needed priority to the team. Focus Sash is really nice for living things like Talonflame's Flare Blitz and Mega Diancie's Earth Power. The evs are 252 252 because with sash there is no point investing in bulk.

Togekiss (
) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Follow Me
- Roost
- Air Slash
- Protect

Togekiss is where this team gets really weird haha. Togekiss is here to help get trick room up with Follow Me support and it also can redirect annoying mons like Breloom, Amoongus, and Hydreigon which could be extremely hard to deal with otherwise. It's evs let it survive a jolly Mega Metagross Iron Head which also lets it live Bisharp's by a lot, the rest is thrown into special defense.

Gallade (
) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Wide Guard

Gallade is something that I have never seen in ORAS and not even in XY. Well I needed a fighting type and another setter for my team and then I remembered last week I was browsing smogon at school(all I ever do tbh) and found an article written by lucariojr on playing with trick room written during 5th gen. It mentioned Gallade as an offensive trick room setter so I decided to use it lol(great reasoning). You could use Life Orb if you're not satisfied with the damage. Sash is just really nice for reliably getting up trick room, and wide guard helps with the Rock Slide weakness I have.

--------------------------------------------

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-273671972 (some guy on ladder with decent looking sun)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-273682149 (Cool hail team)
more replays to come :p

It looked like it had a lot more text when it was on my iPad lol.

Also if anyone has a cool Jelli spread can you post it? Because I don't like mine very much. :/

Last edited:

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
idk if cool enough but jelli spread:

EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Sassy Nature

no need to invest that much spA since you might as well just burn landot tbh, since hydro always misses and wisp has higher acc, and reverse momentum yada yada. Not investing into spA and dropping quiet for sassy does miss out on things like diancie-mega ohko tho

Makes Dstorm a 2hko, and if colbur lives 252+ lo fury

rest in spdef jelly is just really good at soaking special hits and we don't want to sacrifice that.
There are benchmarks for teams with intimidate but you don't have intimidate so :/

Serapis

Losing my way to Victory
Okay, I'm aware that this is a DOU team but honestly I still believe that you should give this a read. That's Boomguy's TR Mega-Camerupt report from the 2015 World Championships and even if it is technically a different format the driving idea behind the team is still worth looking at.

Anyway, for team specific stuff I'll focus on potentials. Your team seems to be almost completely free of "errors" and so my suggestions I'll be mentioning things that could be good for your team but that aren't by any stretch of the imagination required.

First and easiest, I feel that Togekiss should have a moveset of Air Slash/Follow Me/Roost/filler. While Nasty Plot/Baton Pass is pretty cool and probably gives you epic sweeps on the low ladder, it's not something I see being effective against more skilled players. With 2 turn setup it's slow and costs decent amounts of momentum, and that's totally ignoring the fact that you sacrifice an offensive move which is made even worse by the fact that Togekiss has one of the highest offensive stats (120 base SpA) known to supportive Pokemon. As for what the filler can be, Nasty Plot still works if you're enjoying it. I personally would be more inclined to use either Dazzling Gleam for a secondary STAB and some nice spread or Protect because Protect.

Thundurus is cool on TR and something I've looked into before, albeit for slightly different reasons. I've always liked the combination of TR and Thunder Wave. Sadly, Mega-Cam is so slow that even paralized opponents often outspeed it. Because of this, I'm curious if you've considered options like Rotom-Mow. While it loses Prankster Taunt and doesn't fare quite as well against Talonflame, it gives you a nice Grass STAB and can beat pretty much every Water type ever, including Gastrodon which currently steamrolls your team. Like I said, personal preference, but I'd consider it.

Now, Jellicent. I tend to agree with using Water Absorb to avoid Scald Burns, however especially on Recover sets I can see the merits of Cursed Body. Considering how long you'll probably be staying on the field the chance to prevent your opponent from using one of their moves is great, especially against Choice users. Plus, most people won't use Water type moves on Jellicent anyway. Oh, and speaking of Scald Burns, I personally believe that Scald is better than Hydro Pump on Jellicent. Really, the 100% accuracy really appeals to me because Jellicent is a defensive Pokemon and can afford to deal less damage in return for the assurance that it will actually get to deal damage on any given turn. Any potential burns would just be extra.

Besides that, having tried Gallade I can tell you that it's not as good as I wish it was. Power creep (read: Mega-Kang) really does a number on it outside of TR and considering that it's the one supposed to be setting up TR that can be an issue. Togekiss can help that problem, and if it works for you then keep it, however running a better Fighting or Psychic type in that slot might be better than the strange and somewhat ineffective mix that Gallade is. The poster options here are Cresselia for Trick Room and maybe some Sunny Day to support Camerupt or Hariyama/Conkeldurr to act as bulky Fighting types. Conk offers recovery and better overall bulk, but Hariyama has Fake Out support which is always cool.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Hope they were helpful!

I definitely agree with changing Togekiss' set to Air Slash and a filler move(protect is probably best) that's actually what it was before i changed it bc I thought nasty pass sounded cool :3 I don't think I've ever seen someone use Rotom-Mow lol what set would you recommend? Is Gastrodon more common/better in vgc? Bc every time i see it being used its on a surf spam team with the likes of Dragonite and Cradily and I haven't really seen anyone good using it and having success. Yea I could probably change Jelli to cursed body and switch out scald for hydro because I changed my set so I can't even ohko Landorus with it anymore.

I disagree with swapping Gallade out for Cress(worsens the Kanga matchup so much) or making it a Conk/Hariyama because those two aren't reliable Kanga checks either and then I would have only 1 setter. If I were to implement those mons I would probably get rid of Thundurus for a Hariyama and swap Cress for Gallade but I think that takes too much away from the teams character(although it probably is better :<)

Also I probably should put Dazzeling Gleam>Air Slash on Togekiss bc my only Lati@s check is hoping they stay in when I have Bisharp out lol. Anyways thanks for the rate :)

Last edited:

Serapis

Losing my way to Victory
Gastrodon in VGC is comparable to Gastrodon in DOU, however it does see more VGC usage (not by much). It has decent competition with Swampert, although I guess that's not as much of a thing in DOU either. As for Rotom-M, I would like to point out that it got 2nd at 2014 Worlds. The set is a pretty simple Thunderbolt/Leaf Storm/filler/Protect. Filler is normally Will-o-Wisp, however HP Ice would work fine for you. As for removing Gallade, like I said, if it works keep it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)