CAP 13 CAP 2 - Part 5 - Flavor Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moody is banned, and thus it is inherently non-competitive. If CAP 2 got it, it would be disallowed from using it in its own metagame, and thus the ability effectively has no effect.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm not the TL, but I'm going to play the rude mod card.

Abilities that are most definitely competitive:

Infiltrator: Our Mon can have any booster in the game, as well as Spore. Infiltrator ignores Screens, and thus can stat-up in the face of Dual Screeners.

Levitate: Lol you folks are kidding me right? Self-explanatory!

Pressure: A Subseeder with Pressure and decent defenses, even if you need to use the Sketch slot for Leech Seed to pull it off. Not to mention more bulk and better resistances in general than Zapdos.

Cursed Body: See Levitate lol

I see any more of this stuff and I'll be pulling out my warning belt. This is a Flavor Ability, if there are even shades of competitiveness it should be discouraged. I'd even going so far as adding Leaf Guard to this above list just because Sacred Fire is pretty awesome and gets boosted in the sun, and the status immunity that comes along with that is pretty cool.

Mono-gender Cute Charm is fine. The few All-male mons in use don't use contact attacks (Hurricane Tornadus, Sheer Force Nidoking uses special attacks). Otherwise I like the primarily 2vs2 abilities, with Telepathy topping the list flavorwise. Forewarn and Anticipation have some competitive properties, but only really in a mirror match, and that requires switching into a mon with an SE, STAB attack to hit you with (Ghost weak to Ghost).

Moody is banned, and thus it is inherently non-competitive. If CAP 2 got it, it would be disallowed from using it in its own metagame, and thus the ability effectively has no effect.
Apologies. I do not have my own home internet connection, so staying updated on the changes in the metagame is difficult for me. Apologies.
:evan:

Now, back to something worth actually posting about.

CAP2 does seem to be a very interesting Poke. I feel that as far as abilities go, Cute Charm is possibly the best one. However, I also feel that if not Cute Charm, we could go for damp. I don't like the idea of Stench though, especially on something so beautify put together. I think that Levitate may be another choice for sure.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
The purpose of this poll is to select a flavor abilitiy. This means that the ability will have nearly no-competitive value. Levitate fits into the category of competitive and thus is not an option.

Without extremely thought out arguments, chances are any suggestion not found on this list
Anticipation
Big Pecks
Cute Charm
Damp
Forewarn
Sticky Hold
Friend Guard
Gluttony
Healer
Heavy Metal
Honey Gather
Illuminate
Infiltrator
Keen Eye
Light Metal
Liquid Ooze
Magma Armor
Minus
Oblivious
Own Tempo
Pickup
Plus
Pressure
Run Away
Soundproof
Swarm
Tangled Feet
Telepathy
Torrent
Unnerve

will not be considered.

I think that Tangled Feet sounds like a nifty ability. Confusion in the metagame is extremely rare, and even if you gain a boost out of it, you're still confused. I can imagine CAP2 tripping around with it's dress, the flytrap part of it ensnaring it's feet or something.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Sticky Hold prevents loss of item, not phazing.

Did anyone else immediately picture the stereotypical dumb blonde ditz when they read Winston's argument for Tangled feet.

Anticipation
Cute Charm
Damp
Forewarn
Friend Guard
Healer
Honey Gather
Illuminate
Infiltrator
Keen Eye
Liquid Ooze
Moody*
Oblivious
Own Tempo
Pickup
Pressure
Run Away
Soundproof
Sticky Hold
Swarm
Telepathy
Unnerve
I've deleted the ones I feel have no place in flavor for CAP2. not many, as you can see. Problem is, ghost combined with the elements of many plants offers tons of different options for abilities, so a lot on the list have remote connections to either typing.

That being said, here are my top picks:

Cute Charm
Keen Eye
Oblivious
Pressure

The last one I'm very conflicted about, as a possible SubSporeSeed set could ensue. Stalling, while not CAP 2's forte, could possibly just be pulled off thanks to sketch.

Dual Screeners were not the mons meant to beat CAP2 and Dusk himself has declared it to be not competitive enough to get Infiltrator consideration as a flavor ability. If a move is on dusk's list, it's fair game.

Did anyone else immediately picture the stereotypical dumb blonde ditz when they read Winston's argument for Tangled feet.
:P

In my flavor for Tangled Feet, I'm imagining that when CAP2 becomes confused, the flytrap attached to its head loses sense of reality and it's vines start squeezing and entangling CAP2's body, hurting it as well in its confusion.

Given the background information that Yilx gave us, which has been posted here multiple times, I think that Anticipation, or Telepathy would be good choices. Communicating with the spirits requires some form of Extra Sensory Percetpion, right?

I'm backing up with Anticipation and Telepathy. Based on the description of this mon, those really seem like the only things that fit (Telepathy leaning more towards, since it is a Ghost after all)

For tangled feet, I don't see how that's any different than normal confusion only CAP2 is more clumsy. There are other abilities that can present flavor than just reinforcing a common thing for all pokemon.

I like sticky hold it is a nice ability and kind of works with flavor, didn't yilx say that it got gifts from those it helped? I feel like Cap would be very attached to its "payments"

Heavy Metal: We could rename the ability if it came to it - just to imply that the plant, despite looking cute and sweet, is actually far more sinister and heavier/stronger than it appears.

Pickup: It would be similar to the suggestion of Sticky Hold because it's a flytrap, but more extra useless. Plus, I figure favour wise, and Yilx's information, that this 'mon would probably be picking things up alluding to the offerings of a shrine maiden. Or maybe we could make this 'mon rather curious when it comes to matters outside of her shrine, so she randomly collects them?

Scrappy: What's more pointless in the ability to hit Ghost Pokemon on a Ghost Pokemon?
Perhaps our shrine maiden like to get into fights with others because of her nature of getting really attached to her loved ones in a horrifying way. Or maybe she's just The Scrappy to other Pokemon because of her obsessiveness.

Just throwing these out there in case no one has yet. I think it'd be easy to bend most flavor abilities in your favour. But in any case I'd probably choose Pickup of the three I suggested.

DarkSlay

Guess who's back? Na na na! *breakdances*
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Surprised that Pressure is a choice. Defensive Substitute sets would go nuts with double PP usage of opponents trying to break Subs (unless the mechanics of this ability have changed), as things like Fire Blast can only be used four times against this Pokemon with Pressure. I don't like it.

That being said, definitely throwing my support behind Keen Eye. Tons of flavor reasons why this should be the ability (it has two sets of eyes, Ghosts like Sableye have this move, etc.). I'd really like it flavor-wise if this was the ability chosen.

I also support Soundproof, Forewarn, Anticipation, and Unnerve as potential abilities as well.

EDIT: I support Sticky Hold as well.

Despite what many are saying about them, Infiltrator and Cute Charm both are perfectly fine flavor abilities. Infatuation has never been such a game changing status and will not cause massive trouble do to the fact that most of the time players will be hurting Sketchmon on the special side due to the vast amount of weaknesses it has that lie there. Even the physical hits to it will not cause infatuation (Ex: Icicle Crash, Earthquake, Ice Shard, etc). Infiltrator, despite having minor competitive value, it perfectly matches with the Ghost flavor of this 'mon as when most people think of Ghosts (at least I hope) they usually picture a deceptive being that is able to bypass walls, obstacles, and well people. Double Screens won't probably be as dominant now that Deoxy-S has been banned but even then all the player needs to do is switch into an appropriate counter that can wall Sketchmon to death, *cough*Heatran*cough) should it neglect to choose a boosting move over an appropriate coverage move. Nonetheless any ability chosen will most likely have a tiny/no apparent effect on this CAP. I hope this results in one awesome cap ^_^
P.S. - Unnerve may seem like a nice flavor ability, and it is, BUT it is way too dangerous on Sketchmon to have the ability to negate the use of Lum berry on Pokemon such as Dragonite, Salamence, and I guess Machamp(No Guard variants) to an extent that wouldn't appreciate being put to sleep, paralyzed, or burned as a result of Sacred Fire. :P

LouisCyphre

heralds disaster.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Normal, human shrine maidens are a vessel between the gods and the people; just priestesses. Flytrap Miko offers the same services to her fellow pokemon; channeling the spirits of the deceased to talk to them. She dosen't ask for anything in return... most of the time. The eyes on her skirt and little bush on her head allow her to communicate with the spirits.

In the case that Flytrap Miko does ask for something in return, it's usually a small offering, but smaller Pokemon, especially Bug-types, have to think twice about approaching her during this state. Flytrap Miko are solitary and desire nothing but a single, good friend; she might end up a little too attached to her clients and/or spirits when she helps them.

Unfortunately for them and her, she gets a little crazy when she starts getting attached.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../nanacreep.jpg

Flytrap Miko might get a little too posessive at times and her six eyes might creep the more faint-hearted out, but all in all Flytrap Miko means well and just wishes to serve as a means of communication between the deceased and the living.
Overprotective and possessive? Friend Guard.

P.S. - Unnerve may seem like a nice flavor ability, and it is, BUT it is way too dangerous on Sketchmon to have the ability to negate the use of Lum berry on Pokemon such as Dragonite, Salamence, and I guess Machamp(No Guard variants) to an extent that wouldn't appreciate being put to sleep, paralyzed, or burned as a result of Sacred Fire. :P
Machamp is irrelevant. I don't think Salamence runs Lum Berry very often. And I don't think I'd ever have Lum Berry Dragonite as my primary CAP 2 check. Sweeping statements like this are meaningless and are only going to derail the discussion.

I think Friend Guard might be somewhat useful though, in doubles and triples at least. And I don't think Friend Guard quite demonstrates the yandere nature Yilx's flavour info is implying.

I'd think a Sticky Hold clone, because "Flytrap Miko might get a little too posessive at times...", possibly called Possessive Soul or something similar.

Actually, is there an ability that is a total opposite of Oblivious? Honestly, if we're going for a flavour ability to suit this girl's obsessiveness, Shadow Tag would be perfect, due to the creepy, surreal possessive nature. But for obvious reasons, that ain't happening.
on

Maybe we could use Stench, to up her possessiveness - she wants to be with you, but she's so unintentionally repulsive/creepy/smelly/planty-word you try to escape. But you can't escape from your frieenddd. And I'd imagine a flytrap would have a distinct odour, and it would be an amusing contrast to her trying to obviously bait you in like a flytrap would.

Sticky Hold is still negligibly competitive while also being great flavour. I'm not really wanting to see a completely useless/doubles only ability here, I would love to have at least some point in adding an ability.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I'm not a fan of totally useless abilities like Honey Gather or Run Away. Also Moody falls under this list because you can't use it anyways.

Backing support for Sticky Hold on the basis that it's based off a venus fly trap. The ability to sponge Tricks from Rotom-W is a nice situational bonus as well.

I also support Forewarn but I don't feel like going through details currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)