CAP 27 Prevo - Part 3 - Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
It's time to discuss CAP 27 pre-evo abilities!

The order of Astrolotl's abilities, as determined by CAP 27's TLT, is Regenerator/Vital Spirit/Magician. Regenerator is Ability 1, Vital Spirit is Ability 2, and Magician is Hidden Ability. The set Regenerator/Vital Spirit/Magician will be on the slate by default.

If you wish to suggest a different set of abilities, please indicate the entire set in Ability 1/Ability 2/Hidden Ability order. For example, if you wanted to switch out Vital Spirit for Cute Charm, you should recommend the set Regenerator/Cute Charm/Magician.

-----

CAP 27 Prevo so far:

Type: Fire/Dragon

Main design:

-----

This thread will be open for 72 hours.

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I just want to start by saying I love Gravity's design! I think it fits both Regenerator and Vital Spirit flavour perfectly with its bat like cloak indicating a lack of sleep. That said I dont think Magician is the most fitting 'magical' ability for this design, with its small limbs. As such, I would like to suggest the former Astrolotl slated ability Super Luck. As such I am recommending the following: Regenerator/Vital Spirit/Super Luck

Zephyri

put on your headphones and burn my city
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator
Congrats to Gravity! Echoing some of Steak's points, i do feel like the design fits Vital Spirit extremely well, although Regenerator and Magician come off as a bit of a shaky connection to me, but I'd be fine if Regenerator got passed. I feel like Solar Power, an ability that I suggested for Astrolotl but was stopped short from the get-go due to it's possible competitive implications could suit this prevo. For that matter, sun-related abilities in general would be extremely suitable for this prevo. My proposal is: Regenerator/Vital Spirit/Solar Power

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think that Magician is a fine fit for this design--even more so than Astrolotl proper! That big cloak it's got around its body looks like something a mage would adorn. If Fennekin can get Magician, I think it's fine to keep it the same on this line. :)

This prevo has eyes that look cute IMO; I can also see it being able to float, and I want its hidden ability to be one that makes it able to prevent its foe(s) from escaping. Therefore, I'm proposing the Cute Charm/Levitate/Shadow Tag ability set for this prevo.

I agree with what everyone is saying about how magician should be replaced. However, as for what it should be replaced with, I'm suggesting Flame body. It wouldn't be the most jarring change, since both magician and flame body are contact moves. So Regenerator/Vital Spirit/Flame Body.

Also, what Ducky Mioda is suggesting isn't possible. You can only change, at most, 1 ability. Also, I don't see how this thing will prevent the foe from escaping. Levitate is fine in flavor, but with that logic, why didn't astrolotl also get it? In summary giving it levitate would be a wierd choice of an ability because it doesn't make sense, considering the evolution has a flying model, but not levitate, and yet this thing will and that Shadow Tag is a bad ability choice because it doesn't match the flavor.

My Sugestion is the abilities Regenerator/Vital Spirit/Cute Charm
I agree with the consensus of keeping Regenerator/Vital spirit, regenerator mostly because I don’t see mini astrolotl having great offensive stats. Vital spirit adds to the flavor of the mons that fly for a long time. Cute charm makes the most sense to me as its already common on many baby Pokémon, but also cause there could be added flavour of Astrolotl being a magician and Mini astrolotl being the magician helper

As mentioned above, I'd replace Magician with Cute Charm as well. I can't see this prevo having being interested in magically stealing other Pokemon's items away, but I can see it retaining Regenerator and Vital Spirit. However, it makes sense for the prevo to help the magician out.

Zetalz

Expect nothing, deliver less
is a Pre-Contributor
I have to agree with Quany, Magician works just as well if not better on this. It is super cute so Cute Charm would fit really well but I don't think it's worth replacing any of the evolution abilities as they all fit very well. I'm in favor of keeping the same abilities as Astrolotl, Regenerator/Vital Spirit/Magician.

MrPanda

not a bear
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
I think both of Magician and Cute Charm fits very well in little Astro, but I'm not sure about Vital Spirit. I can't see that energetic character in its design, it seems (for me) more like an awakening child wrapped in a sheet, not much energetic at all. So I propose a set of abilities different from the slated ones, Regenerator/Cute Charm/Magician.

Also, what Ducky Mioda is suggesting isn't possible. You can only change, at most, 1 ability. Also, I don't see how this thing will prevent the foe from escaping. Levitate is fine in flavor, but with that logic, why didn't astrolotl also get it? In summary giving it levitate would be a wierd choice of an ability because it doesn't make sense, considering the evolution has a flying model, but not levitate, and yet this thing will and that Shadow Tag is a bad ability choice because it doesn't match the flavor.
So I decided to change my mind. I might as well go with Regenerator/Cute Charm/Magician instead.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
Just a head's up, but you can suggest more than one ability to change upon evolving, so long as you provide the flavor justification for it!

--

The design may be cute, but does that warrant Cute Charm on it as an ability? I feel like people are suggesting it because it's a pre-evolution, probably less experienced, and cute--and therefore baby flavor fits. I think that's uninspired. I'd rather like to see justification for why you think Cute Charm fits the design itself, a sun axolotl, instead of because it's little!

Wulfanator

Clefable's wish came true!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to suggest Regenerator/Vital Spirit/Klutz as a potential option for Prevo27. Klutz is primarily used on 1 stage evolution mons such as Lopunny, Swoobat, Golurk, and Bewear lines. Klutz is used in the HA slot for both Audino and Toxel. Also, Toxel loses klutz for technician on evolution (justification for the change). Our Prevo27 design shares a similar cute energy to that of Buneary and Stufful. I guess you could use similar justification for cute charm since both families also have a member with that ability, but I thought klutz would play better with magician since both affect items. Klutz being the uncoordinated/unskill child and magician being the more skilled evolution.

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
We have under a day left to discuss abilities. If there are any options you want to see polled, please be sure to second those options to show your support!

--

For me, I think Wulf did an excellent job justifying Klutz as a both "pre-evo ability" and as a way to build up to Magician, so I'll second the set Regenerator/Vital Spirit/Klutz.

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
Hmm... I can certainly see Regenerator sticking, which I think is the common opinion. I also think that Magician can easily be kept - nothing about the design makes me think Magician's a poor fit - the cloak is very 'young magician' to me!

However, I don't like Vital Spirit - it feels a bit too... much physical energy? Baby Astrolotl might have that gleam in it's eyes, but I don't buy it having the sort of 'roughhousing' traits that I associate with Vital Spirit - that's mons like Elekid, Rockruff, and so on.

I think it'd be a shame for our Parasol to not have one weather-based link, so I'll make a push for Regenerator/Cloud Nine/Magician. "No Weather" is a rather apt ability in my mind - and I think also works well as an indicator for innocence, perhaps in a slightly more inspired way than Cute Charm.

(That said, I'm going to... third?... the Regenerator/Cute Charm/Magician triad for good measure!)

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I personally prefer the combination of Regenerator / Super Luck / Magician. I dislike Cute Charm in general, and as previously said, Astrolittle here does not radiate this big energetic spirit, so I proposed Super Luck in its place.

Zephyri

put on your headphones and burn my city
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator
Before the ability discussion ends, I just want to talk about a possible option: Regenerator/Illuminate/Magician. I've echoed my support for sun and light based abilities before, and I realise the fact that a lot of people support the idea of this pokemon being Astrolotl's little magician helper. Imagine how cute it would be to see little baby Astro lighting up a dark forest for Astrolotl to traverse through!

In seriousness, I understand that this is really late in the game to introduce a new set of abilities, and it may not be the best fit for an ability that is lost upon evolution, but I really don't like that there are barely any sun and light based abilities being talked about, since the sun seems to be the central theme of the prevo. I'd really love for anyone who likes this set to echo their support for it soon!

The other ability sets that i think would work well are Regenerator/Vital Spirit/Klutz, Regenerator/Vital Spirit/Magician, and to a lesser extent, Regenerator / Super Luck / Magician. Thanks for reading!

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
All right, here are the ability permutations that have received sufficient support and so will be going to the ability poll!

Regenerator/Vital Spirit/Magician
Regenerator/Cute Charm/Magician
Regenerator/Super Luck/Magician
Regenerator/Vital Spirit/Klutz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)