CAP 30 - Part 3 - Tinted Lens Role + Form Poll 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
CAP 30 So Far

-----

When voting, remember that 30b is the base form and 30i is the item-locked form! This poll will decide which forme is assigned Tinted Lens, and what role that forme will fulfill. The list of possible votes include:

Choice User 30b
Offensive Pivot 30b
Utility Wallbreaker 30b
Late-Game Cleaner 30i
Utility Wallbreaker 30i

Please see the Concept Assessment 2 thread before making an informed decision on your vote. The explanation and examples from the TL Wulfanator are included below:

Choice User 30b
This would yield a pokemon who’s strength is most apparent when used in conjunction with a choice item. I think all choice items are available for this route, but specs/band are the ones most users will acknowledge because of Tinted Lens. Existing pokemon are not great 1-to-1 comparisons since users might just go slap Tinted Lens on them in the damage calc and conclude “this is broken.” The three potential result I would anticipate with this route are
  • Fast + Frail (similar to Dragapult, Syclant, and Weavile)
  • Slow + Tanky (similar to Melmetal)
  • Well-Rounded (similar to Jumbao, Tapu Lele, and Victini)
Offensive Pivot 30b
This mon primarily wants to use its offensive capabilities to force the opponent into switching by threatening KOs. This then provides CAP30 an opportunity to capitalize on it by pivoting out itself. This does not necessitate CAP30 have access to pivot moves, but it would help. I think Zeraora and Krilowatt are the best examples of mons that use offensive pivoting as a primary function. Landorus-T and Equilibra are less obvious examples of how to build an offensive pivot, but both would still provide strong final products should we choose to mirror them.

Utility Wallbreaker 30b/30i
Given that setup is no longer being considered for this project due to the risk it poses, these routes would rely heavily on raw power to break fatter mons. Similar to offensive pivots, this type of mon would be forcing out the opponent by threatening a KO, but would be using utility moves to better position the entire team for success instead of pivoting. Twave Melmetal, Scarf Knock+Defog Kartana, and Taunt+Toxic Heatran are all potential ways of achieving this type of role. This would make hazard setting, hazard removal, status infliction, cleric support, and item manipulation in the forms of knock off and trick all forms of utility I can see being considered.

Late-Game Cleaner 30i
Lastly, late-game cleaner would probably yield a less powerful product compared to the other roles available. Cleaners/revenge killers typically prefer the opposing team be softened before they enter the battle and start threatening KOs. This can be achieved with strong priority, great speed, or even a combination of the two. Pokémon like Dragapult are able to break and clean in the same slot, but I think making a mon that is a middling breaker is an easier way for us to not make a difficult mon to balance.

Asking for votes for your submission or for the submissions of others is not allowed. Anyone found to have done so risks punishment at the moderation team's discretion. If you find that someone has broken this rule, please contact the CAP moderation team with your evidence and no one else. Mini-moderation of this rule is also considered a serious offense and can be punished.

-----

This will be a Ranked Pairs vote (RP) (a form of voting where each candidate is ranked according to head to head matchups with each of its competitors in a directed acyclic graph), the details of which were discussed here.

This is a ranked vote: order does matter! You can upvote your favorites and downvote your least favorites. You may choose to rank as many or as few options as you like, but we encourage you to rank as many options as possible to ensure your preferences are taken into account.

Bold your votes and nothing else!
A typical vote might look like the following:
Most Preferred
Second Most Preferred
Third Most Preferred

Any comments that the voter has would go below the votes in non-bold text. Bold text is used to determine what the user's votes are, so none of the supplementary text should be in bold.
CAP uses automated scripts to count votes. For this reason, it is very important for all ballots to be submitted correctly. If you do not compose a legal ballot, your post will be subject to moderation.
  • The scripts count bold words in ballots, so do NOT bold anything in your ballot other than the options you are voting for.
  • Do NOT put any formatting other than bold in your post.
  • Only one option per line.
  • The spelling of options must be EXACTLY correct and must match the spelling listed above.
  • Capitalization and spaces are ignored by the vote counting scripts, but you probably should not depend on it.
Composing a proper ballot is easy. Enter BBCode Edit Mode (the A in the upper right corner). Copy/paste the options directly from the OP to your ballot as plain unbolded text. Delete and/or rearrange the options to suit your preference and the poll type. Bold your vote text using bold tags or re-enter rich text mode, highlight your vote and click B. Spelling or formatting errors may spoil your ballot, so be careful!

CAP uses blind voting. Other people's votes won't appear in the thread, but they are counted and will be made visible at the end of the voting timeframe. For more information about this change, check out this PRC thread.

Asking for votes for your submission or for the submissions of others is not allowed. Anyone found to have done so risks punishment at the moderation team's discretion. If you find that someone has broken this rule, please contact the CAP moderation team with your evidence and no one else. Mini-moderation of this rule is also considered a serious offense and can be punished.

The voting options are:

Choice User 30b
Offensive Pivot 30b
Utility Wallbreaker 30b
Late-Game Cleaner 30i
Utility Wallbreaker 30i

This poll will be open for 24 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Late-Game Cleaner 30i
Utility Wallbreaker 30i
Choice User 30b
Utility Wallbreaker 30b
Offensive Pivot 30b

Last edited:

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
Utility Wallbreaker 30i
Choice User 30b
Offensive Pivot 30b
Late-Game Cleaner 30i
Utility Wallbreaker 30b

dex

Give my perception as a handle of weapon
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Late-Game Cleaner 30i
Utility Wallbreaker 30i
Utility Wallbreaker 30b

I think the last two would turn into truly annoying mons to play against. Not necessarily a bad thing, but a pivot with Tinted Lens scares me a bit, and I don't like how much Choice User hamstrings the stats stage.

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
Utility Wallbreaker 30i
Offensive Pivot 30b
Late-Game Cleaner 30i
Utility Wallbreaker 30b
Choice User 30b

Zetalz

Expect nothing, deliver less
is a Pre-Contributor
Late-Game Cleaner 30i
Utility Wallbreaker 30i

Choice User 30b
Offensive Pivot 30b
Utility Wallbreaker 30b

Utility Wallbreaker 30i
Late-Game Cleaner 30i
Offensive Pivot 30b
Utility Wallbreaker 30b
Choice User 30b

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Late-Game Cleaner 30i
Utility Wallbreaker 30i
Utility Wallbreaker 30b
Choice User 30b
Offensive Pivot 30b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)