CAP 30 - Part 6 - Concept Assessment 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I observed is this perception that being a defensive pivot is bad because we have Stamina. I agree that we want to try to optimize it to the fullest, but that doesn't mean we should limit ourselves in what roles we can or can't take on. I'm in full agreement with the tank/wall camp (probably leaning towards tank moreso), but whose to say we can't give the tools for both? Chromera is a pretty good example; after its initial release, a Knock Off + Taunt set gained some brief popularity alongside its flagship CM set. I like the arguments that the defensive pivot side have been making, we have such a great typing that makes for easing pivoting and forcing more favorable matchups. I see no issue with some focus on U-Turn (or other pivot moves) as a potential set option. Both of them desire the same type of attributes: good bulk, good defensive typing, and plausible STAB + coverage. The only thing we'd be including is u-turn or the likes, which 30i could benefit from too.

I see no issue with some focus on U-Turn (or other pivot moves) as a potential set option
One more thing to mention is that, because of the nature of this framework, any specific moves including Pivot and Priority that are given to 30b are also given to 30i. If it is an addition that we believe is unhealthy or inappropriate for the other form, then we cannot justify giving that to 30b either.

For an example of the inverse. We already determined that 30i will be a Utility Wallbreaker, so among the moves that 30b has to choose from, we will have Utility moves and at least one strong STAB for Wallbreaking (most likely Flying) in at least one of Physical or Special. So if we do pick a role like Wall, Tank, or even Defensive Pivot, we still do need to keep in mind which moves 30b needs to fulfil those roles, whether its recovery, set up, pivoting moves, or other forms of offensive or defensive utility, and that 30i will have access to those exact same moves as well. If we decide we don't want to give 30i Recovery or Pivoting options, that closes down some of 30b's role possibilities.

Likewise, a pivot doesn't need pivoting moves. Toxapex or Tomohawk are great examples of this, as neither run pivoting moves, instead relying on their abilities and healing to enable them to switch in and out multiple times as a roadblock to certain threats in the metagame. Stamina doesn't help with that at all. If anything, pivoting is actively detrimental, as that first switch in hit will always deal full damage.

One more thing to mention is that, because of the nature of this framework, any specific moves including Pivot and Priority that are given to 30b are also given to 30i. If it is an addition that we believe is unhealthy or inappropriate for the other form, then we cannot justify giving that to 30b either.

For an example of the inverse. We already determined that 30i will be a Utility Wallbreaker, so among the moves that 30b has to choose from, we will have Utility moves and at least one strong STAB for Wallbreaking (most likely Flying) in at least one of Physical or Special. So if we do pick a role like Wall, Tank, or even Defensive Pivot, we still do need to keep in mind which moves 30b needs to fulfil those roles, whether its recovery, set up, pivoting moves, or other forms of offensive or defensive utility, and that 30i will have access to those exact same moves as well. If we decide we don't want to give 30i Recovery or Pivoting options, that closes down some of 30b's role possibilities.

Likewise, a pivot doesn't need pivoting moves. Toxapex or Tomohawk are great examples of this, as neither run pivoting moves, instead relying on their abilities and healing to enable them to switch in and out multiple times as a roadblock to certain threats in the metagame. Stamina doesn't help with that at all. If anything, pivoting is actively detrimental, as that first switch in hit will always deal full damage.
Ok, but I think you’re blowing up a couple things. Firstly, yes we take full damage from the first hit, but that can deter/alter 2kos for instance with subsequent hits, making it useful even if 30b doesn’t stay in. Secondly, I get how pivots work. I don’t think U-Turn would be a broken option even on 30i, hence why I brought it up.

When I said in my post earlier in this thread that I think we shouldn't be a pivot, what I really meant was "we should not give CAP30 pivoting moves", and more generally, I don't really think we should make "be a pivot" as an intentional goal of 30b. (Also, we share moves, and a Tinted Lens wallbreaker with pivoting moves will require care (but nothing we can't handle) in Stats stage to balance.) Pivoting moves, or trying to make/incentivize 30b being a pivot, clearly anti-synergize with Stamina and are therefore, in my opinion, anti-concept. However, I am in full agreement with "let's make 30b with a goal of [wall/tank/whatever]", and if 30b's typing and stats naturally make it good at pivoting, then that is absolutely fine. As long as we regularly stay in for at least 2 turns, and as long as we can and do do things that have Stamina's strengths as a core element, 30b would be fulfilling its concept I think.

TLDR: Don't give CAP30 pivoting moves. Beyond that, I don't think we should try to force pivot or not-pivot on it. Let's design for a role we think fits 30b and Stamina the best, and if in addition to this role, 30b turns out to be good at being a defensive pivot, then cool. Just as long as it gets to use/optimize Stamina to some significant extent, since that's the point of the concept.

Wulfanator

Clefable's wish came true!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
So 24 hours turned into 48 hours after a personal emergency. Apologies.

Defensive Pivot: The general opinion appears indifferent if not leaning negative. Defensive Pivot has seen two arguments against it. Like I acknowledged previously, the first addresses the issue of our concept and ability pairing. The role of pivot actively works against our selection of stamina and should not be considered for that reason. The alternate argument is that our typing lends itself to filling the role regardless of if we select it. These users have pointed out that the conversation boils down to the inclusion of pivoting moves as opposed to the role. I am inclined to agree with the latter argument, and for those reasons, Defensive Pivot will not appear in the poll.

Set-Up Sweeper still seems relatively mix still. There are some users that are clearly opposed to this role but the majority, while not swayed in a particular direction, thinks it is safe to include. As dex pointed out, there is a lot of competition this role will face when compared to other bulky set-up mons like Clefable, Tapu Fini, and Scizor. While this does not rule out the role, it may be more difficult for 30b to stand out. It will be include it the poll since most people feel there are adequate ways to circumvent the concerns pertaining to 30i.

As it stands the 3 options being considered for the poll are:
Set-Up Sweeper
Tank
Wall

Set-Up Sweeper:

If we want to take an offensive approach with 30b, set-up will help bypass some of the challenges faced with Poison/Flying STAB. Compared to the other options, we get a stronger idea of direction with 30b as well as sizable design room for determining our method of set-up. We will need to be mindful with how these options interact with our other form, but, as we saw in the discussion, users believe there are sufficient ways to avoid problematic overlap.

Tank:
This role attempts to strike a balance between offensive and defensive roles. We would aim to build a mon that can take hits while effectively hitting back. This approach wants to capitalize on the defensive elements we have established (Stamina and Poison/Flying) while not sacrificing on an offensive presence. With access to strong Flying STAB options in either Brave Bird or Hurricane, this route is capable of producing an effective tank.

Wall:
With this role, we would want to design with the idea of consistency in mind. 30b would be designed to reliably take attacks throughout the battle through a combination of its typing and stats. Stamina enables 30b to rapidly change the Pokémon it can wall as it continues to take hits. Lastly, the inability for 30b to be poisoned makes sitting in front of Pokémon a promising option.

Feel free to provide commentary, concerns, and last-minute suggestions in these last 24 hours.

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
I like this slate a lot. I think Tank and Wall synergize well with Stamina and certainly offer different routes compared to 30i to make them stand out from each other in terms of roles.

Setup Sweeper I do think suffers from what dex has mentioned, but I think any point if being far too similar to 30i is not really much of a problem. Stats is a stage we haven't even gotten to yet, and stats is a place where a lot of the differences in a mon can appear and I think to same will apply with CAP30, especially with regards to bulk and speed. I think there are plenty of ways to make 30b and 30i distinct in stats, threats, and defining moves and to define thier unique traits (30i being stuck with Griseous vs 30b having the ability to run Heavy-Duty Boots), and thier approaches towards how they work offensively I think may appeal to different archetypes.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Love watching this section so uhhh I hope I'm doing this right
Set-Up Sweeper:
If we want to take an offensive approach with 30b, set-up will help bypass some of the challenges faced with Poison/Flying STAB. Compared to the other options, we get a stronger idea of direction with 30b as well as sizable design room for determining our method of set-up. We will need to be mindful with how these options interact with our other form, but, as we saw in the discussion, users believe there are sufficient ways to avoid problematic overlap.
This feels a bit difficult to achieve consistently. While it does make the design process more linear thanks to a more focused direction, in practice it seems like you'd end up demanding a Stamina boost + the set-up move; you have to come in on an attack to get the boost, then spend a turn setting up, which is two turns of high variance...and likely unnecessary damage. Stamina as an ability implies that 30b is going to be in it for the long haul and gradually gain momentum rather than set up and swing for game. I feel like if you're using Stamina, the aim should be to go for something as safe and consistent as possible during the initial turns before "snowballing" out of control, or alternatively functioning as an early-game wallbreaker. There's also the matter of how it would affect 30i...

Tank:
This role attempts to strike a balance between offensive and defensive roles. We would aim to build a mon that can take hits while effectively hitting back. This approach wants to capitalize on the defensive elements we have established (Stamina and Poison/Flying) while not sacrificing on an offensive presence. With access to strong Flying STAB options in either Brave Bird or Hurricane, this route is capable of producing an effective tank.
Wall:
With this role, we would want to design with the idea of consistency in mind. 30b would be designed to reliably take attacks throughout the battle through a combination of its typing and stats. Stamina enables 30b to rapidly change the Pokémon it can wall as it continues to take hits. Lastly, the inability for 30b to be poisoned makes sitting in front of Pokémon a promising option.
Tank feels like the better choice out of these. Defensive boosts don't do too much if the Pokemon is passive, as it makes it easier to PP stall. Being able to sit there, appreciate an advantage, and force damage onto the opposing team feels miles more appropriate. If we look at how Mudsdale succeeds in its respective tier, it does exactly that. It succeeds because it can safely switch in on a physical attacker, instantly get a good position by making the matchup unwinnable for the attacker through Stamina, and now the opponent has to just...deal with it, really. It'll either set hazards for free or leave a hole in the opposing team. You can't phaze it without taking heavy damage as well, which I think is important to consider for a Pokemon inherently reliant on boosts. Considering there's evidence of how Mudsdale works in an environment of a lower power level, perhaps we should look at how this can be translated into 30b rather than remake the wheel. I think there's a lot of potential in exploring an early- to mid-game tank here. This isn't to say we should copy it - the typing alone says otherwise - but you see what I'm getting at, yeah?

The prior paragraph isn't to say all walls can be PP stalled either - otherwise I'm the equivalent of a flat earther - but I do take issue with it being a wall: if you design around Stamina, it becomes a mite bit situational because of the typing. Being Poison/Flying, you've got a noticeable Stone Edge weakness, and because you want to take a Stamina boost to handle that, it does become somewhat reliant on the opponent and game state to succeed. There are a lot of other small awkward situations that I can think of; Stealth Rock cutting into valuable bulk, opponent doubling into something with Electric-type coverage, not being able to punish phazers, so on. I feel like if this were to succeed as a wall it would end up having Heavy-Duty Boots as a mandatory item, and while Knock Off would trigger Stamina for it to gain momentum, it'll end up being screwed over for the rest of the game. In that case, wouldn't it end up getting forced out by the threat of that, thus removing the boosts? Perhaps I'm overthinking things, as I can see why it would look enticing, but it just seems a bit short-sighted and I think people conflate the Tank/Wall roles a bit too much to realize the difference.

Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding things :smogduck:

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
Good slate imo. All three choices of the slate can overlap with each other. I am going to post with how I am viewing what each option says about the future stages; encouraging TLT to correct me if I am wrong.

Set-Up Sweeper: Guarantees an offensive set-up move if it wins; bans most set-up moves if it loses (unless something with 30i's direction changes ig)

Tank: Requires strong offensive options and attacking stats during their respective stage; needs to be bulky; reliable recovery not required, but heavily favored due to typing

Wall: Recovery required; does not need strong attacking options; would most likely require strong utility options to differentiate from other walls

The distinction that a Wall would need strong utility options whereas the tank does not comes from the role for "bulky offensive Poison-type" competes with pretty much just Glowking atm (and Mollux if ur a believer.) Glowking is very good, but 30b obv offers some unique resists and dodges the Ghost/Dark weaknesses of Glowking, so there is some room to differentiate. I think its harder to differentiate from the giga walls of Toxapex, Corvi, etc, so Wall 30b having access to strong, possibly heavily underutilized, utility/"support" moves would be the easiest way to secure its own identity.

Set-Up sweeper can easily also fit in the Tank/Wall role; i.e. you are a wall but if you get enough Stamina boosts you can sweep with Body Press ala Skarmory, so there's that too.

Last edited:
I'm a little concerned that allowing for Set-Up Sweeper risks cannibalizing Tinted Lens on many occasions except where only a single attack can be gotten off. I feel that there are movesets and roles that can capitalize off Stamina as a Pseudo SetUp Sweeper without having access to typical SetUp, but by stating that the role as a SetUp sweeper can risk swaying future discussions into how to balance around typical set up.

Tank feels like the best fit for type and concept, followed by Wall

Tank feels like the better choice out of these. Defensive boosts don't do too much if the Pokemon is passive, as it makes it easier to PP stall. Being able to sit there, appreciate an advantage, and force damage onto the opposing team feels miles more appropriate. If we look at how Mudsdale succeeds in its respective tier, it does exactly that. It succeeds because it can safely switch in on a physical attacker, instantly get a good position by making the matchup unwinnable for the attacker through Stamina, and now the opponent has to just...deal with it, really. It'll either set hazards for free or leave a hole in the opposing team. You can't phaze it without taking heavy damage as well, which I think is important to consider for a Pokemon inherently reliant on boosts. Considering there's evidence of how Mudsdale works in an environment of a lower power level, perhaps we should look at how this can be translated into 30b rather than remake the wheel. I think there's a lot of potential in exploring an early- to mid-game tank here. This isn't to say we should copy it - the typing alone says otherwise - but you see what I'm getting at, yeah?

The prior paragraph isn't to say all walls can be PP stalled either - otherwise I'm the equivalent of a flat earther - but I do take issue with it being a wall: if you design around Stamina, it becomes a mite bit situational because of the typing. Being Poison/Flying, you've got a noticeable Stone Edge weakness, and because you want to take a Stamina boost to handle that, it does become somewhat reliant on the opponent and game state to succeed. There are a lot of other small awkward situations that I can think of; Stealth Rock cutting into valuable bulk, opponent doubling into something with Electric-type coverage, not being able to punish phazers, so on. I feel like if this were to succeed as a wall it would end up having Heavy-Duty Boots as a mandatory item, and while Knock Off would trigger Stamina for it to gain momentum, it'll end up being screwed over for the rest of the game. In that case, wouldn't it end up getting forced out by the threat of that, thus removing the boosts? Perhaps I'm overthinking things, as I can see why it would look enticing, but it just seems a bit short-sighted and I think people conflate the Tank/Wall roles a bit too much to realize the difference.
Regarding the Mudsdale point, we have a very important avenue of differentiation: potential access to reliable recovery. While there isn't anything wrong about following Mudsdale's example, the possibility of reliable recovery, along with the Toxic immunity from our typing, means that it isn't nearly as easy to wear us down while the Boots are on, and also means that we don't necessarily have to go off of big damage to help us survive.

I also want to point out that this Pokemon is probably going to be running Heavy Duty Boots regardless of whether it is a tank or a wall. There are instances of Rocks-weak Pokemon preferring other items to Boots in this meta, but the vast majority of those Pokemon are offensive Pokemon that want to run offensive items. Just based on Stamina alone, 30b is going to be valuing its health too much to find a damage boost worth taking Rocks damage. As a result, the issue you bring up with the threat of Knock Off forcing 30b out is probably going to affect both the tank role and the wall role, and even then both would still be able to achieve their respective roles by forcing the opponent out and either threatening big damage or providing support on the switch. I'm not sure it's so significant an issue that it brings the tank role above the wall role.

Last nitpick I have is that Stone Edge, and Rock moves in general, aren't particularly common, besides Tapu Bulu, the occasional Tyranitar, and coverage on Landorus-T (which generally prefers running utility moves) or Garchomp (which generally wants Fire Fang for Steel types instead). To your general point, I have a feeling Stamina will inherently have to deal with situations where it needs, or at least really wants, a Stamina boost to take a hit, but I don't think it's out of our reach to reduce the number of those situations through stats or moves to help the wall role if necessary.

As for the slate itself, I don't really have any issues with it as it is. I'll echo LucarioOfLegends in that while the setup sweeper role can potentially suffer from competition with some of the existing bulky setup sweepers like Tapu Fini and Scizor, we still have enough space to differentiate the two forms that they won't really step on each other's toes much.

Last edited:
I want to make a post against the idea that acting as a pivot is anti-concept. My main point is that if we want to optimize our ability, we should look at every favorable interaction Stamina can create, and some of those interactions involve pivoting.

30b with Stamina can put in work even in matches where it doesn't snowball or stay in long. Consider this scenario:
- Opponent is in a good position with decent momentum, say they just got a kill and a small boost with their physical attacker.
- 30b comes in. Opponent can knock it off, damage it etc. but thanks to Stamina won't win the 1v1.
- Opponent doesn't want to create an unkillable behemoth (tank or otherwise) the rest of their team can't handle and so immediately switches out.
- 30b switches out to a better answer to the new mon.

In this interaction, 30b made use of the threat of snowballed boosts to force the opponent to give up momentum, without ever getting any actual boosts. This is a favorable interaction involving Stamina, one where Stamina is most conducive to pivoting.
Even though it won't be our main role, pivoting can and should compliment the main role and it isn't a failure of the concept/process to produce a result where that's the case. If anything, making use of Stamina in part to create useful pivoting situations helps flesh out the different facets of the ability, which is extremely pro-concept.

I also favor Tank over Wall; other users have already spelled out why so I'm echoing their support.

While I agree that Tank is a better fit for Stamina than Wall or Set Up, let alone Pivot, I think it might have issues in the stat stage. Tanks need to be all around good, both offensively and defensively. That’s going to want a lot of stat investment. Tinted Lens… doesn’t. It only needs decent offenses thanks to tinted lens, and it doesn’t need defenses outside the normal realm.

Our framework necessitates that our BST be the same across forms, meaning we have to balance a stat hungry tank with a tinted lens ‘mon who doesn’t care too much about stats. While that’s not impossible or even particularly difficult, it does add strain to both concepts. Something like a wall or setup sweeper cares less about offensive stats, so it would be easier to balance the BSTs.

spoo

is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Being able to sit there, appreciate an advantage, and force damage onto the opposing team feels miles more appropriate. If we look at how Mudsdale succeeds in its respective tier, it does exactly that. It succeeds because it can safely switch in on a physical attacker, instantly get a good position by making the matchup unwinnable for the attacker through Stamina, and now the opponent has to just...deal with it, really. It'll either set hazards for free or leave a hole in the opposing team. You can't phaze it without taking heavy damage as well, which I think is important to consider for a Pokemon inherently reliant on boosts. Considering there's evidence of how Mudsdale works in an environment of a lower power level, perhaps we should look at how this can be translated into 30b rather than remake the wheel. I think there's a lot of potential in exploring an early- to mid-game tank here. This isn't to say we should copy it - the typing alone says otherwise - but you see what I'm getting at, yeah?
This is roughly the reasoning for why I like tank > wall as well. I think wall builds could avoid being too passive with something like the combination of boosted body press + toxic, but in general, I really value the ability to force out the pokemon that we can come in on and deal with through stamina. Of course, mudsdale isn’t a 1:1 example; the possibility of us getting reliable recovery has already been brought up as a point of differentiation, but it ultimately has little impact on the “switch in and wall, force out and hopefully make progress” gameplan, and if anything only makes it easier to execute repeatedly and consistently.

That said, I still really value a lot of defensive
presence on 30b. Expanding the list of pokemon we can consistently switch into is one of the biggest ways we can give ourself a useful niche and a place on teams, even if this comes at the cost of raw power traditionally expected from a tankier pokemon (melm, tran, etc).

I also think that, while it’s not my first choice, setup should be totally fine for us. I don’t think it’ll impact 30i that much if we choose the opposite physical/special bias, and the two formes shouldn’t be competing that much as they will still be different in far more areas than they are similar. I made a longer post about this specific point, but yea I don’t believe we have to worry about 30i outclassing setup 30b or vice versa. I think may’s other points about setup being a little unreliable and not as tailored to stamina were persuasive too; in general, while I do think that setup offers valuable routes to pursue, stamina as an ability is better suited to something slightly different. I guess one way to frame it is that both setup and tank (although in different ways) can help shore up stamina’s natural weaknesses - ie, they help us proactively accomplish something instead of sitting around waiting to be taken advantage of - but I see a tankier build also sorta leaning into the inherent strengths of the ability, that being a more defensive mon which can check foes and present a threat simultaneously and more seamlessly.

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
I'm generally a fan of this slate, though I just have a few minor thoughts that I wanted to bring up without already echoing a lot of what's been said (since I ultimately agree with it). I really don't like the idae of 30b being a setup sweeper since I really do agree with the mindset that this is truly a parallel process with 30i. If we can't give something to 30i, we definitely give it to 30b. This obviously goes both ways, but with the concept of "setup sweeper", yes I get that it would be funcitonally different if you consider the ability on a fundamental level. But if 30i is also getting access to these setup options, then we need to make sure that 30i would be more or less misused when using setup (in the same way that Crawdaunt has Dragon dance, but you'd never see it use it). Maybe I'm misguided and setup will be fine, I'm just really wary with 30b being a setup SWEEPER. If 3ob were to get other forms of setup in addition to Stamina to boost defenses in some way, I would be much more on board.

Wulfanator

Clefable's wish came true!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
With few suggestions as to how to change the slate, it looks like it will stay the same and we will move on. Here is your slate.

Set-Up Sweeper
Tank
Wall

Set-Up Sweeper:

Tank:

Wall:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)