CAP 32 Prevos - Part 2 - Typing Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Congrats to Blorenge on the winning designs! For reference, here are the designs:

Now it's time to decide typings!

When proposing typings, you must submit typings for each stage in the following format:

Typing for stage 1 -> Typing for stage 2 -> Typing for Hemogoblin
Typing 3 can only be Fire/Fairy or Fairy/Fire.

As an example, a valid submission would be Fire/Fairy -> Fire/Fairy -> Fire/Fairy.

Fire/Fairy -> Fire/Fairy -> Fire/Fairy will automatically be slated.

Discussion will remain open for 72 hours!

Fairy (stage 1) -> Fairy (stage 2) -> Fairy/Fire (Hemogoblin)

Pure Fairy for both imo. Neither have any design elements that would suggest they are Fire type. Whether or not this means Hemogoblin would be retyped as Fairy/Fire I don't know, but if Kitsunoh can have its types swapped for the sake of prevo flavor I don't see why Hemogoblin can't.

Pure Fairy for both imo. Neither have any design elements that would suggest they are Fire type. Whether or not this means Hemogoblin would be retyped as Fairy/Fire I don't know, but if Kitsunoh can have its types swapped for the sake of prevo flavor I don't see why Hemogoblin can't.
I 100% agree with this, Hemogoblin is when the heartburn aspect comes in, hence why it’s a fire type, the other two don’t have that

sun_dew

formerly JAGFL
is a Pre-Contributor
Normal/Fairy (stage 1) -> Normal/Fairy (stage 2) -> Fire/Fairy (Hemogoblin)

Both of these prevos read as at least part normal to me, particularly the first stage due to its simplicity, and obviously neither of them look like fire types, so I think having both prevos be Normal/Fairy is the best way to go.

Fairy/Normal (stage 1) -> Fairy/Normal (stage 2) -> Fairy/Fire (Hemogoblin)

I wholeheartedly support the Normal-typing for the two pre-evos, but I think all three Pokémon read better as having Fairy-type as the primary type. I also think it's more logical to have the secondary typing (Normal to Fire) be the one that changes through evolution, whilst the primary typing (Fairy) is the one to stay the same. As mentioned above by Brown4Sides, Hemogoblin having its types swapped shouldn't be a problem.

As already state neither of these guys have fire elements in the design so fire doesn't make sense but I don't see any reason to make these two normal type, both would make perfect sense being pure fairy and I just don't see normal fitting the 2nd stage, I kinda see it with the first but the second just reads as pure fairy to me so I feel it's best to just keep this simple and have both be pure fairy.

Fairy/Normal (stage 1) -> Fairy/Fire (stage 2) -> Fairy/Fire (Hemogoblin)

stage 1 doesn't have the vessels where Hemogoblin launches fire, but stage 2 does have, so make sense to me that stage 2 receives fire typing, while stage 1 keep being a "normal" erythocyte

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm going to argue that the pre-evos can be Fire-types. They may not have visible flames, but Blorenge specifically described stage 1 as being flustered just like the final stage, so it's still emotionally "burning". Many Fire-type Pokemon don't have visible flames but rely on warm colors to signify Fire as well. E.g., compare these designs to Scorbunny/Raboot in terms of color palette vs. typing.

As an aside, I want to comment that 2 out of 3 Pokemon that receive Pixilate are not originally Fairy-types (Eevee -> Sylveon, Altaria -> Mega Altaria). The third (Gardevoir) was not a Fairy-type before Gen. VI. If we were to follow in-game trends, Fire -> Fire -> Fire/Fairy would make sense.

memesketch

won't look back, i must shine
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
I like the idea of withholding the Fire typing until Hemogoblin, where we see visible fire elements in the design. Normal/Fairy and pure Fairy both work well enough, but in my opinion I don't think the designs really give off Normal-type vibes. Normal-types tend to look more conventional, and the second stage especially has kind of a cool zany design that I like better as a pure Fairy.

Fire (stage 1) -> Fire (stage 2) -> Fire/Fairy (Hemogoblin)

idk why but something about the pre-evos doesnt seem very fairy to me. maybe its because hemogoblin has a defined face and is more expressive.

Last edited:

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Repeating Quanyalis' point that there is enough justification for us to stay Fire-type for the whole line. Many Fire-types, especially in their earlier stages, don't really have visible flames on them and sort of use warmer colors justify their typing. I think that very much applies here. I don't really think a type change is super nessecery here for that reason (Also because I want something that can deal with Solotl in CAPLC, that fucker ruins everything).

So yeah, I guess I support Fire/Fairy -> Fire/Fairy -> Fire/Fairy

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm personally a fan of Normal/Fairy -> Fire/Fairy -> Fire/Fairy.

I support Molten Tower's logic and offer up the following provisos too.

I see Stage 1 in the vein (pun intended) of a Baby Pokemon like Azurill that starts off as a Normal type. It hasbin view the least explicit Fire elements.

Stage 2 reads as Fire to me through the strong reds and the loopy veins that give off heat in a similar way to Hemogoblin itself.

I can roll with anything as long as stage 1 isn't part Fire-type. One could make the case for stage 2 being part Fire (even though I don't agree personally) via the arteries being heat vents, but stage 1 has basically no Fire elements aside from maybe a red face, and even that's a stretch.

Personally, I like Fairy/Normal -> Fairy/Normal -> Fairy/Fire.

Neither of the two pre-evos look like a normal type. They both seem much closer to fairy than fire.

I support Fairy (stage 1) -> Fairy (stage 2) -> Fairy/Fire (Hemogoblin).

Wulfanator

Clefable's wish came true!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Fairy -> Fairy -> Fairy/Fire

The fire typing is not visually apparent until the final stage. I dont think using normal typing in its place is needed either. The 2nd stage evolving into Hemogoblin feels similar to how Togepi gains the flying typing when evolving to Togetic.

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
I sort of like the idea of our prevos being pure Fairy as it makes the sudden design shift of Hemogoblin stand out a lot better. The blue flames and warm flushed expression recontextualizes a lot of what the line had been doing. Yes, our first stage has the same flustered look, but it's more subtle.

Also if we really do care about LC, Solotl is gonna get Meteor Beam come home: we're not going to be safe from it anyhow.

Fairy - Fairy/Fire - Fairy/Fire
Just liking the idea of a monotype prevo, + the second stage is redder and more flustered so it seems more like fire type

Fairy -> Fairy -> Fairy/Fire

The fire on Hemogoblin already looks very light to me. Its even looser on the middle form, and completely absent from the first. I think this is a fair progression.

Normal -> Fairy/Normal -> Fairy/Fire

I know it's rare for a pokémon to lose a type when evolving having had it as the only type in the base stage, but I don't think Fairy is seen, let alone Fire, because although many argue that they have fervent fire in their arteries, they don't can take outside until it isn't a Hemogoblin. I don't know if in CAP it is accepted that a type is lost in this way, but I still propose it.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
Fairy/Ghost -> Fairy/Ghost -> Fairy/Fire

Simply the goons are a ghastly little gremlins, with the pure white eyes, pale palette, and visceral imagery conveying a type more than just fae. Eventually the Pokemon emerges from phantasmal metamorphosis with more whole mass, shedding its ghostly lineage with burning desire for life.

I don't have much else, they don't look quite Normal, or quite pure Fairy, and not even really fiery in any way. I think Ghost fits them best, and honestly Fairy/Ghost is a pretty stacked typing that would be fun to design.

idrk what else to say but that i, indeed, didnt really design these 2 with fire type in mind but i dont think itd be unjustified. theres a warm-blooded joke to make, they are red and flustered-like. i guess the fairy typing isnt as prominent either without blatant heart imagery so they could pass off as atleast part normal too, i think.

Samirsin

✧Rey de los Snom✧
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
I will let you decide the types, but please, let Fairy be the primary typing, Fairy is usually the secondary typing on Fairy-types. So for Hemogoblin it would be Fairy/Fire and not Fire/Fairy.

Fairy -> Fairy/Normal -> Fairy/Fire

Okay, let's talk.
I'll agree with most that the Fire-type be reserved for Hemogoblin, the only one with visible flames and whose concept literally includes fire in a way.

Note that you can have a Pokemon of one type exhibit characteristics of another. Evidence one: Rolycoly, who has the Flash Fire Ability (reserved for Fire-types) and learns Fire-type moves. The first stage gets flustered - okay, you know what other Pokémon get flustered and aren't Fire-type? Sobble, Bonsly, to name a few.

The second stage is a bit more ambiguious, but given the lack of relative emotional expression, I'll say this is a normal development of the arteries, and if we're going to gain a type, might as well be Normal. And I can justify it that it hasn't been hit with adulthood for its Fire-type.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)