CAP 33 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
WIP
Untitled84_20230924110458.png

Changed up the design a bit, I'm happy with it but I'd love some feedback!
The 'almonds' are now pink crystals to try and convey the fairy type more, with a lighter color on the armor inspired by how sugar and simple syrup crystalize. I might change up the proportions a bit more to make it look bulkier but I'm not sure

Thumbnails from some initial sketches on paper
20230923_160948.jpg

WIP
CAP33conceptsII copy.jpg
thinkin about some sort of ruthless mounted ocean queen entity for this.
Inspirations in no particular order:
Nuckelavee, notorious orcadian sea demon that rides out to ruin the lives of those who burn seaweed for fertiliser
The Night's Calvary enemies from Elden Ring
Cataphracts and other forms of barding, particularly this image
The scales on the algae are inspired by the blue-rayed limpet, a dainty species that lives on seaweeds rather than on rocks.

Kiwi

free فلسطين
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
WIP
1695799732057.png

A sea-slug friend! Experimenting on the design to make it more sea-slug like based on feedback. In the thumbnails attached, you can see that it can retract its limbs to become more sea-slug like, perhaps defensively. I've also attached previous concept designs. Whites and oranges-pinks for the fairy look
1695638012362.png
1695638266125.png
1695708159810.png
1695638312321.png
1695708185949.png
1695708144714.png

Attachments

Last edited:

Daylight

angels roll their eyes
is an Artistis a Contributor to Smogon
WIP
Untitled_Artwork.jpeg

Reworked the pose, proportions, and pattern of my Kirin concept with some feedback from Sunfished and Quanyails. The giraffe pattern is meant to evoke scales and river rock as well as the fact that giraffes are called “kirin” in japanese. And the sea green and hazy purple are meant to evoke the feeling of water as well as that of a fantastical and ethereal, but also gentle, creature. I’d love to hear what people think about him. ❤

Final Submission
WAIL.png

This whale is slow and bulky, but with the "help" of the barnacles he can reach all sorts of speeds and heights. They also give him a mustache. Soon I'll make some concept art showing this silly whale doing all sorts of things, and I've added the whale without the barnacles. He doesn't have fins so he literally can't move without them. I'm not sure how he keeps the barnacles under his control. Maybe a haunting whale call that mind controls or something?

Modedit: Changing oversized image to thumbnail.

Attachments

Last edited:
WIP

Reckon this might be my final iteration unless anyone has any major concerns. That said I might remake the art in a more pokemon-official style? What would people think about that?
WIP_2.png

Also if any mods could confirm/deny if the yellow border around the light/sparkles meets submission requirements I would appreciate it.

Last edited:

Shadowshocker

It shall rest here in peace. Forever, if you wish.
is a Top Artistis a Smogon Media Contributor
WIP

Colouring has always been a bit of a hit and miss for me, worrying whether the colour scheme is attractive enough, sensible enough, eyecatching enough... and that's not even going into shading. The black and white effect made this guy look like a burglar though, so that didn't go over too well. Thanks to Sunfished for suggesting the visualiser idea so I don't give him too many colours, though I've linked the other options in the Supporting Material gallery below. But what does everyone think? Pink and purple trippy lava lamp body with blue headphone "eyes" work out? Let me know!

This update's bop:

Supporting Material

Other colour options
These boots were made for walling

Kiwi

free فلسطين
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
1695891489550.png

With advice from a couple of peeps, I've tried to make the mon look more fully evolved. Added stripes, larger tail and an overall larger body. I don't think I'd call the design 100% final, but I'll soon be finalising it
1695891513755.png
1695891712269.png

Also been reading the defining moves thread, and attempted quick depictions of some select moves, along with drawing the current concept in a front and side view. Second image is the previous design for reference

WIP

1695922926070.png

it's an iguana monster that ate way too much coffee. fairy-type with foliage like florges/comfey. he runs so fast thatbushes get stuck to him and it eats the berries from it making it extremely restless :') made this in preparation for jungle healing among other things!

here's an earlier version/potential colors. gotta give thanks to sunfished in particular for his feedback :)
1695923388683.png

WIP

Reckon this might be my final iteration unless anyone has any major concerns. That said I might remake the art in a more pokemon-official style? What would people think about that?
I would love that. This is one of my favs, but the flat artstyle is making it hard for me to imagine what e.g. a 3d model or detailed sprite or something would look like. Supporting art would probably help.

Kiwi

free فلسطين
WIP
1696044639914.png

Developing Concept number 2 in case discussion changes: Squid on a stick... or rather squid on a bubble wand... Inspired by Violet

The concept is that the tentacles are like a defensive cape, sorta like a vampire squid. The bubble wand substitutes for the idea of a squid on a stick, but instead making it a wand (fairy) and a bubble wand at that (water). I'd appreciate all feedback and suggestions!

Samirsin

✧Rey de los Snom✧
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
WIP
Probably Final Submission, though. Little water Monkey that is very glossy and has a fountain on its head. Inspired by Tlaloc's mask (aztec god of rain) and hands that emulate the aztec glyph for water. Even looks like a circus monkey :D The multiscale part comes from the mosaics that can be found all over its body!
CAP33SMRCute.png

tlaloc.jpgatl.jpg

WIP

♫ ~ It's almost time, just gimme a sec / Nine thousand years gives you a creak in the neck ~ ♫

Since it seems we're leaning more away from the physical side of things for the competitive moves, I've unfortunately had to withdraw my swordfish design, so here's a sketch art of a more special-minded replacement: a deep-sea wizard based on the shark-man yokai called the samebito and the fact that the goblin shark's name is a mistranslation of the Japanese term for it, which more accurately means "tengu shark". To this end I gave it wing-like fins and a coral pipe from which it blows bubbles for its non-physical attacks, though it still has clawed flippers and sharp teeth if it has to get up close and personal. There's also elements of wizards and actual goblins in there, with the single nostril on the snout being inspired by the Impidimp line. The patterning on the underbelly also references the denticles of actual sharks, i.e. visual shorthand for Multiscale!

I might have to draw supplementary art for this one at a later date that shows off more of its features and the way it uses its moves, dependent on which ones we go with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)